>Hating?
>Metagame thoughts?

Decklists:
>mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern#paper
>mtgtop8.com/format?f=MO

Primers:
>mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/modern

Weekly Modern Metagame:
>mainphasemtg.net/modern-tier-list/2017/5/29/modern-tiered-list-weekly-update-and-analysis-for-52917

Previous Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/13094890
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Click it. You know you want to.

strawpoll.me/13094890

2 Shard Volley or 2 Grim Lavamancer in Burn?
Alternatively 1 Volley and 1 Bedlam Reveler. Really need to tune my list for tonight.

>56% poorfags
No surprises here. Poorfags are the fucking worst.

Shard Volley.

>>Playing?
Ad Nauseam, been playing it for years and I'm sick of it
>>Brewing?
Nothing really
>>Hating?
Game 1 chalice? not a whole lot
>>Metagame thoughts?
Field has some popular harsh maindeck answers to AN which makes it a bit harder but it's not awful, as long as it doesn't get Chaliced or discarded out the ass it should be able to beat most of the popular decks

STOP NECK DECKING REEEEEEEEE

Keep screeching all you want Des, not going to happen.

If you're sick of it, why not trade out of it?

I'd listen to him if he were a good player
But he isn't and can't brew his way out of a paper bag so he'll always be an autistic retard. Knew a guy like him in my old group, fuck these people

>Playing?
Spirits

>Brewing?
Abzan Thune-Feeder nonsense

>Hating?
I have three Ceremonious Rejection in the board. Guess.

>Metagame thoughts?
Some of the best it's ever been. Still a big NBL fan.

Any judges in the house? If I play around Blessed Alliance by attacking with Geist of Saint Traft and one other creature (so they can't play it with the token trigger on the stack), if they have a blocker and kill my second attacker during damage, can they make me sacrifice Geist during the end of combat step after the exile token trigger resolves?

Not a judge, but yes.
>second attacker dies during combat damage phase
>go to end of combat phase
>geist trigger goes on the stack
>both players pass priority
>trigger resolves
>active player gets priority: pass
>non-active gets priority: cast blessed alliance

So it's considered attacking until combat is over. Got it.

Correct. Creatures are only removed from combat at the end of the end of combat phase.

or if regenerated

a.) I don't know what I'd play
b.) I don't really know a lot of people, I usually just go to big events
I like playing Affinity but I don't own any of the pieces. I have the remnants of Infect which I played on the side but now that it's dead I've just got a pile of fetches and nobles
Honestly I'd play another deck if I had a convenient way to offload the stuff I have

What are good coco decks one can build?

Counters / Abzan Company, CoCo Elves, Knightfall.

Burnfag here.

If you run 20 lands, you can run a single Shard Volley. I would never run 2, this shit isn't Fireblast. If you run 18-19 lands, don't run Shard Volley.

Lavamancer is pretty bad right now, there aren't a lot of decks we can grind against, and those that can will kill Javamancer on the spot before we can get significant value. I will occasionally run 1 in the sideboard, but not in the past two months or so.

If you need more spells, consider 1 main Deflecting Palm. It's good in a lot of matchups ( any deck with a big Goyf, Shadow, Anglers, Wurmcoil, Cranial Plating, etc.).

Am I the only one who wants to see fetchlands and shocklands printed into oblivion? I'm not against cards being expensive per se, but staple lands being $15 a pop is just unnecessary. It seems silly that tron lands are less expensive to be honest.

No, you re not. I'm of the belief that there should not be a single card over $10 and every year there should be a Masters set with 250 of the most expensive cards and it should be printed to hell and back.

I get that there should be a barrier to entry, and that we enjoy a hobby that's as expensive as any other hobby, but a deck should be $300 at most. Prices are ridiculous. And before you start calling me poorfag, I have Burn, Affinity, two EDH decks, and am building Jund. I don't give a single crap deal if I 'lose investment value', I just don't want the game in love to die because people can't afford a deck. I just want to play some fucking Magic.

or they could just ban fetch lands

why

because there used to be a trade off when you ran multiple colors

Did you forget that duals were printed in Alpha?
There really wasn't much of a tradeoff and fetches have been in the game for a while and have always been fine

why even bother bringing up alpha like its relevant to todays modern?

why are you talking about how things used to be (they weren't) like it's relevant to today's modern?

Wizards should create Red-Bordered Competition cards for major events. You'd submit your list and your deck would be waiting for you, and then when you exit competition you leave them with the judges. You could make cheating absolutely fucking impossible with digital watermarking and smart playing tables that track every card at all times (a bonus for spectators and number crunchers interested in such things, also makes stealing the cards impossible since when you hand in the deck a computer can count all the cards in a millisecond). You could even I can't even list all the things wrong with this idea in one post please don't do this Wizards I don't want you to go bankrupt.

Good thing you added the disclaimer.

because when fetch lands existed in onslaught and early, they literally either got you 1 of 2 basic lands

now you can search for stomping grounds and still have both your colors. ie no trade off

>ABUR Duals never existed

I disagree. Cards being expensive and valuable is a big allure to magic -- especially for game stores. Booster box/pack openings are only enjoyable because of the chance at getting expensive cards as well. Ultimately, for the game to keep going Wizards needs to be able to profit off of it and so do local game stores. If you destroy the secondary market, you destroy the profitability of LGS facilitating the game, you'll subsequently lose their support for the game (LGS events, FNM, etc.), then local community meet-ups for the game evaporate and so to will the community. You don't want to take it the way of Force of Will by turning off LGS to it.

My disagreement with prices is that lands shouldn't be the expensive thing.

fetches have always existed in modern though, and an untapped dual costs 3 life, which is fairly significant, especially if you do it more than once

>3 life to be able to play your deck
small price

>extended never existed
>white borders never existed
>Lightning Bolt never existed
>Tarmagoyf printed as part of a future set
>future set never existed
>Tarmagoyf never existed

I can barely tolerate Mark Rosewater but his army of wannabe game devs are the worst.

>small price
A small price that is relevant sometimes. Decks that have a painless manabase (e.g. Affinity before Spire) have an advantage.

Isnt one of the first things you learn in mtg is that life doesnt matter and that its a resource

>doesn't matter
>is a resource

pick one

Are you insulting me? Because I was making a sarcastic comment on

>they literally either got you 1 of 2 basic lands

Was that not clear to you?

>its a resource
>doesnt matter as long at its above 0 (baring cards that say otherwise)

I was expanding on your sarcasm with my own. I can see how that might get lost. There's a subsection of new MTG players who think that Magic has all these hard and fast rules about cost efficiency, color pie, design no-no's. They have no idea. They all listen to Maro's podcasts and quote quote them like the bible. In my limited experience they are some of the least competitive players I've ever encountered. They usually play EDH, or some little kid indie deck like Monogreen Stompy if they HAVE to play Modern, GAWD what a mess of a format.

Mana is a resource but you don't need to hoard it, you need to use it. Life is the same way.

Cards like, you know, lightning bolt

It always matters, you just have to accurately assess how much several times a turn and spend it accordingly. You don't fetch untapped shocks every turn just for the color depth unless you know what you're playing for the next few turns...or you do because you're Death's Shadow.

It is a resource. You shouldn't squander it.

If one deck starts at 20 life and the other starts at 17, one of those decks has more of that resource left. It matters.

>dont turn this hunk of steel and depleted uranium into an adrams tank, that would mean we have less steel and DU.

lol

Oh, I see now. I guess I'll call myself the autistic faggot, then. Although, I'm not sure I've met these people. Are these the same people that jump at any chance they get to suck his cock on Blogatog?

i would say that life as a resource is pretty significant. The difference between 7 and 6 or 4 and 3 are pretty huge. Stuff like fetches and shocks are pretty fair in that regard. Do you fetch at 4 life and risk a bolt to the face? Does winning in that turn offset the possibility of losing? The difference between 20 and 17 life is almost negligible, but it certainly matters the longer the game goes. Life is a reaource, but it needs to be managed properly, just like mana effeciency, cards in hand, etc.

>do we turn this steel and uranium into a tank or do we turn it into a wall while we launch missiles at the enemy
I hope you're trolling. If you don't recognize that points of life matter and should be used judiciously, I don't know what to say to you.

Yeah those are the ones. Also you should always end the game at 1 life, because that means you were the most efficient possible with your resources. Come on man, it's basic Magic 101.

>Do you fetch at 4 life and risk a bolt to the face? Does winning in that turn offset the possibility of losing? The difference between 20 and 17 life is almost negligible, but it certainly matters the longer the game goes. Life is a reaource, but it needs to be managed properly, just like mana effeciency, cards in hand, etc.

>doesnt matter as long at its above 0
these things arent at odds with each other

Just because you don't always get punished for playing badly doesn't mean you didn't play badly.

what are you on about?

Hey all. I'm currently trying to Tweak and rebalance the Esper Control list from GP Kobe. In playing and grinding games with a friend, I've been finding that I really don't like the Reactive style Cryptic shell with the Glory Engine.

I've been testing a ton of midrangey-style threats instead, so I can go
"t1:Cantrip
t2:Spell
t3:Draw or Tokens
t4:Threats"

I'm liking this list a lot more because it feels like I am playing a pro-active game and that I'm fighting.

My Current List:

// 60 Maindeck
// 9 Creature
4 Glory-Bound Initiate
4 Snapcaster Mage
1 Tasigur, the Golden Fang

// 9 Instant
3 Fatal Push
2 Path to Exile
2 Spell Snare
2 Mana Leak

// 24 Land
4 Flooded Strand
2 Polluted Delta
4 Darkslick Shores
1 Seachrome Coast
1 Watery Grave
1 Hallowed Fountain
2 Godless Shrine
3 Shambling Vent
1 Celestial Colonnade
3 Island
1 Plains
1 Swamp

// 3 Planeswalker
3 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar

// 15 Sorcery
4 Painful Truths
4 Serum Visions
2 Thoughtseize
3 Collective Brutality
2 Lingering Souls

I'm thinking of sideboarding the 2 spell snare for 1 Blessed Alliance and 1 more Lingering Souls

see

The reason midrange decks like that will run a pair of Cryptics is so you have an out to resolved permanents like Ensnaring Bridge.

I think 3 Gideons is too many. It's usually best to diversify your walkers so you can get multiple in play at once. 1 Gideon, 1 Elspeth, 1 Jace might be a better split.

Yeah; it's just that Gideon takes over the game so quickly that I wanted to hit it consistently. I will probably test the 1/1/1 split though.

See

Oh, forgot to say; Current Sideboard-

3 Engineered Explosives
3 Rest in Peace
2 Ceremonious Rejection
2 Countersquall
1 Go for the Throat
2 Spell Snare
2 Lost Legacy

I as a player Netdeck and then tweak depending on what feels good to me.

Gifts Storm: Y/N?

Hard yes

Love that deck so much.

yes

remember to use serum visions before manamorphose/sleight of hands to set up draws

I need help accepting very small damage to my cards after years of playing with them. Every time I notice the smallest damage I get tempted to replace a card immediately (despite it being sometimes slightly costly, nothing crazy though). How do you guys deal with it?

not having autism mostly

Double sleeve and then accept that some damage is going to happen.

If you double sleeve and you're still accruing damage you have shitty hands and shouldn't collect Magic cards.

By getting moderately played cards

>Playing?
storm and eldrazi tron, both are super fun
>Brewing?
life from the loam memes
>Hating?
FUCK deaths shadow and FUCK thoughtseize/iok
>Metagame thoughts?
ban deaths shadow, at least ban street wraith for the love of god

>ban street wraith
inb4 Living End players reeeeeeee

>plays SpaghettiTron
>wants to ban anything

WOOOOOOOOORST

ban path to exile and ghost quarter

>Veeky Forums is complaining about tron again

stop this meme right now

Sleight of hands first is better though, as it lets you dig deeper. At least it is in ad nauseam.

There is nothing to complain about though (except people complaining, what I was doing and what you're doing now), the format is actually good.

Shut up, fucker. There's always something to complain about. And if there isnt, we'll find something to complain about. Like how Kithkin tribal has infiltrated my lgs. (Not even joking)

>not fucking it up with zombros

I'm always down to complain about EDH shitters and r/custommagic.

>tfw no qt bf to play magic with you

wow, bard used to be a lot less heavy

what happened to him

He's going bearmode. This is a good thing.

Which tribal Deck to build?
GB Elves with 2 Caverns or Merfolks with 0 Caverns?

Neither

Both decks are just bad right now.

Which Deck should I make with only 250€ (MCM prices)?

Depends. You can do Elves, and cry yourself to sleep. Or Merfolk, and cry when you wake up in the early afternoon. The question becomes, what time do you hate crying?

play emeria titan

>pros adding 2 Myr Retriever to Scrappy Eggs
Shit is the nuts, it's only truly eggs when you can go ~infinite~
>they haven't swapped Emrakul for Ballista
soon, fellow memers. soon.

Emeria Titan is a good choice as it can builds into UW control and shares cards with DnT

Speaking of cheap decks, DnT

>This deck goes under me so I want it banned out.
Classic tron fags.

Call me stupid, but I need to know. What does it mean "cry when you wake up in the early afternoon"? It's the first time I have seen it.

>53585209
>Storm
>(Super) fun
Please elaborate, I'm interested in reading.

He meant that merfolk are better than elves but still not good

*upvoted*

The gifts storm deck is just incredibly fun to play. It's a lot of thought on "how do I get to this one position" and a lot of technical play

I just bought 4 CoCos on impulse

what can I build if I only wanted to spend around $100 more

i saw a mono green stompy list with 4x coco in it

What do you already have? Bant Spirits is a deck after all

not to mention sometimes you just get to kill people on turn three (or two if you're playing simian spirit guide)

I don't like playing SSG personally; I find it to be a dead card more often than not. If I am playing it, I only play it at 2.

But yes, the t3 kill is super hilarious.

4 Hierarchs. Birds aren't good.

If you have Hierarchs, you can easily piece together the rest of bant spirits.

I'm implying that the people who play Merfolk are sad, depressed people who stay in bed until 1:00pm, where they lay, broken and suicidal. And after staring at the ceiling for the last hour, cry terrible and sad tears as they once again wake up in this horrible and hateful world.