dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/unearthed-arcana-update

>5etools:
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Resources Pastebin:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Past arguments:
What else do you want out of Indiana Jones, Undeadosaur Hunter? Have you ever run a campaign in a jungle setting? How familiar are you with Chult? Are you tired of the Tomb of Horrors yet? Will you use Meatgrinder Mode?

Honestly I want more support for later game play in any way shape or form.

Undead dinosaurs is probably the dumbest thing I have seen in D&D in a long time.

Whatever, FR is a massive shithole anyway.

Doesn't meatgrinder mode depend on the DM though? Like with the stream game, he was just relentlessly throwing people to their deaths and crushing them with 90 damage

Been tinkering with some ideas for modding the game. My players keep bitching about "muh skill points", so I thought I'd meet them halfway with this:

>Skills come in several tiers
>>Nonproficient (+0)
>>Proficient (+2)
>>Trained (+5)
>>Expert (+8)
>You are Nonproficient with all skills unless otherwise noted
>You are Proficient with your Background, Class, and Racial skills
>At 1st level increase 2/3/4 skills by 1 rank, selected from your class skills
>At 5th, 10th, 15th, and 20th level increase a single skill rank of your choice
>Skills ranked above Expert increase by +1 per rank
>Jack of All Trades makes all skills at least Proficient rank
>Expertise increases two selected skills by 1 rank

Probably shit, but I'd appreciate anyone taking a second to tell me where I did/didn't fuck up.

I can already see the pitch meeting that went down
>So uhh you know how people like zombies right?
>Yeah
>They also like dinosaurs right?
>Yeah
>Well what if we like combine the two and make undead dinosaurs?
>….......... Fund it

Can't be worse than Storm King's Thunder

Forgot to mention this replaces Proficiency.

Our DM finally kicked our group's Edgelord/That Guy.

Can't wait for all the much better sessions we're all gonna have now.

You have no sense of fun, their idea sounds pretty great.

can someone post a scan of the B&W player's handbook? I don't want the transcript and the version i want isn't in the trove.

>If it isn't fighting bandits for 10 levels, it's shit

What was he doing that warrented getting kicked out

Give it time, I'm sure WotC will pull it off somehow.

Nice strawman you make it yourself?

Would it break Druids if I said that taking on a Wildshape reduces the new form's HP by an equal proportion to the character's humanoid form's missing HP? ex: human-form Druid is at 50/100 and turns into a bat that normally has 20 HP, instead winding up at 10/20.

that's like, your opinion man.

Does seeing zombie dinosaurs count as my druid seeing dinosaurs

Nah the bandits took it when they raided the same farm the party's seen eight times already every time they go back to sell the +1 item you gave them because none of them can use it

What's everyone's problem with SKT?

I want undead raptors and the minis to go with them. I will buy them all.

Buy the plasic toy dinosaurs and glue them to bases

I'm sure there is a program to convert it to black and white

Constantly metagame.
Never contribute anything of value to character interactions.
Complain about others talking 'too much' and acting like they're the reason he never speaks up.
Switch characters mid-campaign because his original one was too boring and sucked at talking, then still never talk despite being a 19 Cha Warlock and being the same edgelord as before.
Never able to take any joke at his expense, neither IRL nor in-character.
Always attempt to rule-lawyer everything, even when it was just something the rest of us wouldn't have taken so exact and even our DM was fine with letting pass to make things flow better and generally for fun.
Go into lengthy rules discussions for no reason, disrupting shit all the time.
Final nail in the coffin was asking for 5 bucks gas money after driving me home from our session after we didn't look at the time and I missed my train, which meant that he had to drive a mere 10 minutes longer by using a different highway exit than he'd normally use to get home, which everyone found to be a douchebag move and not what you'd pull among your fellow players and 'friends'.

No because at that point their typing is Undead, not Beast.

Or as a more in character explanation, the decay is too great for you to have enough information about the muscular structure to properly transform into the live version.

Glad we got it cleared up that you have nothing to add to the discussion then

What an asshole, got what he deserved

Does a Tiefling Paladin of Conquest who wants to create a small kingdom for himself and his kind sound like a decent concept? I want to play an evilish character, but don't want to go too cliché or edgelord.

>Or as a more in character explanation, the decay is too great for you to have enough information about the muscular structure to properly transform into the live version.
He's a druid not a physician. He can't "feel" the spirit of an undead dinosaur.

The big problems are
>levels 1-5 are shit
Totally true. If you run SKT either start the group at lvl 5 and skip the intro adventure or run something else instead (probably Phandelver)
>middle portion of the adventure is a "sandbox" where the players fuck around the North for a while until they find a plot hook
There's a lot of content here (it's by far the largest chapter) but very little direction. Realistically the GM should just ignore the sandbox aspect, pick a few of the more fun sounding locations, and string them together somehow.
>fighting the Giant lords + their minions is pretty much impossible at the recommended level
Also true. However, all the giant lords have some clear weaknesses that the players can take advantage of; the fire and cloud giant lords have children (and it's explicitly stated that they'll hand over the mcguffin if you take the kids hostage), the frost giants have imprisoned two dragons (whom they haven't killed, for some reason), the stone giant is relatively irrational and has already alienated a significant chuck of her people, and the hill giants, beyond being incredibly stupid, have minions who don't get along and will all flee if you kill the chief.

It was pitched by the creator of Adventure Time.

It should be pretty good than

You get to fight non-giants approximately four times (barring sidequests), and two of them are at the very start of the adventure.

>orcs and Zhents in Nightstone
>savage humanoids in your choice of "here's the main plot" railroad + some giants
>cultists in the Eye of the All-Father + dragon
>cultists on the Mor'Koth + kraken

Barring the Mor'Koth, that's all pretty early. The rest of the time you are dealing with large numbers of giants on their home turf and any one of them could turn 1-3 of your party members into paste solo. Even if you manage to keep Slow on them at all times somehow, they're still likely to grind your party into the dirt. Several character builds and types are simply ineffective against Huge-sized creatures like giants, and you are barred from a large number of environmental shenanigans or item use against them; caltrops wouldn't even pierce giant sandals, ball bearings mean as much to them as sand does to you, you can't shove them all over the place, you can't flip tables on them, most of the cover you'll find is useless against thrown rocks, AoE nukes lose a lot of their bang when you can't eliminate whole creatures at once or seriously soften them up, effects that trigger on kills are far rarer due to limited numbers and HP bloat, you can't exactly set up a lot of neat traps against a creature that huge, higher move speed means they can't even be kited or lured into better kill zones, and so on.

Your DM has to play the giant strongholds like a fucking retard to give you a chance. If handled realistically, the party shows up, a giant goes "OI THERE'S THEM FUCKIN' ADVENTURERS THAT KEEP FOILIN' OUR SHIT" and 20 giants run into the room and throw four rocks at each party member and you're D E A D.

It's a huge step back from the enemy variety and feature design of Princes of the Apocalypse, which really did a stellar job of giving the cultists and their minions unique powers.

what are some things to consider for a player wants to ride on the shoulders of a dragonborn as a gnome or halfling?

He won't be benefiting from an mount feats or abilities while shouldered, but what else is there to consider? Should I make the gnome use half movement to dismount, or the dragonborn use an action to pull up the gnome? should they both fall prone if the dragonborn would?

You shouldn't allow them to.

>the solution to every dungeon is "stealth to this room, acquire the blackmail / helper NPCs, then avoid a fight altogether or hope the giants ignore you in favor of beating up the NPCs"
I'm all for solutions other than "kill everything here", but "kill everything here" should be an option, too. Other modules make difficult fights and give you different outs too, but they're also not stacking the deck so much against you in a way that makes it obvious the designers never thought these combats through.

Alright lads, we're gonna start up a Princes of the Apocalypse campaign as our secondary thing in case not all of us can make it to our main session.

I want to play a female Mystic that was originally a Pirate. Toss me some silly ideas to make her a fun character and some name ideas, though I'd probably name her after some of her character traits because Pirate society.

My group's not exactly a super serious bunch so a lot of dumb shit can usually pass (our Cleric-turned-Paladin is a halfling wearing a Belt of Dwarvenkind who is also a noble in the dragon empire and has his own pub in their capital called "The golden R" with a giant golden R neon sign on top, as one of the extreme examples) so go wild.

I highly doubt a dragonborn is "trained to accept a rider" unless he's either into some S&M business or he was seven years a slave.

Don't play a Mystic. Seriously, don't.

Not him, but what are their issues?

mind elaborating on why I should not? just saying, "no", is pretty stupid to me, given the dragonborn is 6'2" and the gnome is 3'1" or a halfling like 2'7" and 50lbs. If it really is game breaking or something, I would like to impose some disadvantages.

> Should I make the gnome use half movement to dismount
Either half movement to dismount or full movement w/ Dex throw (failing the throw you fall prone). Or some of each.

> the dragonborn use an action to pull up the gnome?
Most people can't jump 6 feet and land gracefully. I wouldn't expect a gnome to do the same unless he uses magic. In most cases Dragonborn would do it as an action.

> should they both fall prone if the dragonborn would?
Dex throw to see if he recovers a few feet ahead or if he also falls prone.

> I don't like it so I won't allow my players to do it.

I generally agree. If I were running SKT, first I'd mix things up so they have to go against more than one giant lord (it seems like a waste to make them fight just one), and then I'd significantly tone down the difficulty of the hill giants and stone giants (since theoretically they should be the weakest) and probably also make at least some changes to make the others possible to fight through (though still emphasizing that fighting is not necessarily the best option).

It's really unbalanced, they can excel at any role and sometimes better than classes made especially for those roles. Don't play it unless you want your party to hate you.

Why not? Class looks pretty fun in theory and mindfuckery characters are my favourite type, wanted to use this campaign to try one of the UA things.
Alternative was the new Bard spec.

it's akin to letting your small child ride on your shoulders. a halfling is 2'7" or something like that. and a dragonborn is over 6'. It isn't out of the realm of disbelief, but I want to make it dangerous or difficult to do so.

REEEEEEEE THEY STEP ON THE WIZARD'S TOES BY DOING EVERYTHING BETTER THAN THE REST OF THE PARTY IF YOU BUILD THEM THAT WAY
AAAAAAAAA ONLY MY WIZARD OR BARD IS ALLOWED TO UPSTAGE THE ENTIRE PARTY AND DO EVERYTHING
I HAVE TO BE THE MOST POWERFUL
ME
NOT SOME PSIONIC FUCKER FROM PREVIOUS EDITIONS
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

just don't use Mind Vault to gain proficiency in every skill or spam Animate Weapon + Lethal Strike + Beast Fury or whatever, it's not hard

Ok, let the gnome ride the dragonborn, I don't care.
Why stop there. Amputate the gnomes legs and impale his stubs on the horns of the dragonborn. He's never going to walk anywhere again if you open that door.

Fuck you Mearls, your use of irony won't make the class any less overpowered.

Yuan-ti pureblood mystic

You aren't going into combat or running in full armor with a child on your shoulders, though. Keep in mind there are going to be severe stability issues, especially if the rider is going to be fighting the whole time.

You can reasonably add a whole lot of disadvantages.
>Rider has disadvantage on rolls to stay on the Dragonborn's shoulders if he doesn't have at least one hand free to grab onto his head
>Dragonborn has disadvantage on passive and standard perception because there are two fucking legs on either side of his head blocking his peripheral vision
>Dragonborn has disadvantage on any dex checks that would knock him prone because he also has to balance the rider
etc. etc.

you sound salty as fuck. If the dragonborn cared, he wouldn't allow it.

Dragonborn Mount receives Disadvantage on Dexterity saves.
Small Rider gets no Dex saves of his own; he must use whatever the Mount has.

If the Mount is attacked and missed, that attack is then applied to the Rider (and may hit if the Rider's AC is lower than the Mount's).

If Mount is knocked prone, so is Rider. It's not as easy to jump off a man you're riding like a bicycle as it is to leap from a broad-seated horse.

>If Mount is knocked prone, so is Rider. It's not as easy to jump off a man you're riding like a bicycle as it is to leap from a broad-seated horse.
Add fall damage there too, to account for the dragonborn falling on the wee laddy's legs.

these are both helpful. I'll take both into account. thanks mates.

Hello, I am Jeff from the D&D 5e Design and Balance team.

I am taking submissions for tweaks to the standard base classes (not Artificer or Mystic) for the upcoming PHB2.

What would you like to see changed about the current PHB classes? Tweaks to Ranger spellcasting? Changes to Barbarian Rage? Some goodies for Fighters or Warlocks?

So Wizards put the artificer and mystic up on the dungeon masters guild. Are those PDFs updated or are they the same as on release?

>it's a no fun hyper realist brigade episode

Oh shit, I understand the Stream of Annihilation. Everyone everywhere who died and who was raised will die within 30 days. Because Acecerak seriously fucked with something involving necromancy.

This is fucking cool.

Disadvantage on Stealth and Acrobatics checks, too. That's obvious, though.

From what some anons have said exactly the same

That's what I figured when Perkins was murdering everyone with 60+ damage in that one session. "Oh, they're all going to get rezzed and now they have a personal stake in stopping Acererak, because they'll die (again) otherwise."

That's cool, but
>oh boy another adventure module in a big region with "SANDBOX" written all over it tied to a FUCKING TIMER
isn't

Fighter gets extra attack at 3rd, 10th, and 20th.

Make it 4e so martials and casters are balanced

The guy who originally asked said he wanted it to be difficult for both rider and mount too.

on the off-chance this is legit, how about making berserker barbarian and Wot4E monks not shit?

Assuming this is legit:

- Have there be Sorcerer-only spells that encourage creative use with metamagic. Or tie in specific spells into their Sorcerous Origin as free spells they get for 1st thru 5th level spell slots.

- Swap out original Ranger for UA Ranger.

Everything else is fine.

>Making the gap between fighters and other martials even bigger

That you fuck off untill you make the Wot4E monk not useless, and you better tell Mearls to actually allow polishing the mystic or be outed as the cock sleeve he is.

>explore the Sword Coast, here's a bunch of sidequests, here's some shit you can do for your faction, here are some hideouts you can take over and turn into your home base
>but you better be going in straight lines to these dungeons or the cultists destroy everyone with climate change powers and summon evil elemental Gods onto the planet

>explore the Sword Coast again, here's a bunch of sidequests, here's some terrible dungeons you can die in, oh but you get an airship and maybe a flying tower and a teleportation network
>but you better only do one giant dungeon and then progress to solving the plot because towns are dying every second you delay

>explore the Underdark
>or don't because you're being chased and if you don't move you die

goddamnit i just want to start a fucking vegetable delivery service

"Do you know how many times I've died?"

Oh you of little faith.

>goddamnit i just want to start a fucking vegetable delivery service

...what?

/5eg/, you guys are really helpful usually and give me decent advice and helped me get into a system that gave me an entirely new group of friends who are more consistently awesome then my old ones.

So my query is, why did you lie to me about FR?

You know what's keeping back development of the Sword Coast region? People.

You know what's keeping back development of people? Proper nutrution.

Peasants and nobles alike can't eat as well as they need to because the vegetables and fruits aren't always in season, and even when they are, it's difficult getting the best crop to all areas of the Coast while they're still fresh. No one in your neck of the woods growing carrots? Then you don't get fucking carrots.

Vegetable delivery will change all of that. Everyone will grow big and strong and tall and smart and then the future will be great.

But where are the farmlands?

If there are actually consequences for dying in this module like being turned into a zombie, i would be fine with that, but this is WotC so i expect kid gloves.

Considering the lack of true versatility, yeah. Every other martial gets at least of bit of spellcasting, which can be used for anything from control, to healing, to utility. The guy/gal who spent years, if not their lives doing nothing but killing things deader without magic should be able to kill things deader quicker and easier than those that had to split time between training their bodies and practicing their spells.

In my opinion anyway.

I think maybe you want to play a game OTHER then D&D. Or rather you want to play a game of D&D that no person will ever write an actual adventure for and you're having wildly unrealistic expectations if you think they're going to do anything like that.

Just make a sandbox game and run it that way yourself, problem solved.

Nothing is worse than a timed sandbox
>There is a weird beast in the woods spooking the locals
>But remember, the bbeg is collecting materials for his super evil ritual and he is getting close to casting it! Might want to go do that!

for shits and giggles.

Veeky Forums claims that FR is generic, but that's because it's been around forever and helped define what the """standard""" D&D setting looks like. There's really nothing wrong with it, just don't have the Mary Sue NPCs show up.

A druid with level 8 spells can fix this shit easy why don't the nobles just hire one, its not like control weather and plant growth's components cost money or anything

Lie how? There is nothing inherently wrong with FR, it's just the standard D&D setting, and it just gets dull after a while.

Not him, but the Goldenfields Abby.
It's whine purpose is to grow crops and produce for a gigantic section of Faerun. This user's idea is something that the Clergy of Chauntae would love, honestly.

Give martials martial slots and martial abilities that they can cast based off of their martial casting ability stat.

Elminster could literally make food that lasts forever, but he doesn't give a fuck.

I'm glancing over the Mystic right now. How the fuck would one play a Soul Knife Mystic? Do they just not get any Psychic Disciplines at all and the only thing they can do is switch their Psychic Talents around and stab people with their knives, hoping they don't have to fight Constructs immune to Psychic damage?

No, that's what I mean.
I'm reading all this old fluff and there is genuinely more NON-novel based detail about the setting itself then most actual novels I've read. There's even entire kingdoms designed to be fleshed out by the DM themselves.
There's a TON of cool shit in here.
Lie about it's quality.
I keep hearing how shit it is on here over and over but apparently this shiftiness does NOT apply to it's old products because it feels like every area is somehow useful for adventures.

Apparently, he keeps losing his mind because his girlfriend the goddess of magic keeps throwing fits and/or dying. Off the record, it's because the PCs are the real heroes, not the GMPC.

Most players aren't familiar with anything before 3e (if that), so basically they're only familiar with FR after it got handed to a crap company who's primary objective is to find some way to turn all of their products into Magic the Gathering.

Are you guys ready for Tower of the Curator DMed by yours truly?

They don't get any specific to them. They can still pick any discipline at certain levels like other orders

Any old products in particular that you recommend?

Has to be better than the shit that is on now

>random percentage tracking
>transposing random percentage onto other numbers
>enforcing "I walk around as a Bear" even more

>So my query is, why did you lie to me about FR?
Because when people bitch about FR, they're actually just bitching about the Sword Coast.

>replaces proficiency
So...how do you determine attack rolls and save DCs?

How would you maintain urgency or bring about an apocalyptic urgency to it?

Not him, but anything published before 3e.
Elves of Evermeet is great for learning about both Evermeet and the differences between elven sub-species (example; gold elves apparently are not happy fey guys who are Chaotic-aligned but are dour, humorless people who tend to be extremely religious and who tend to be Clerics, Paladins, and Wizards and are Lawful usually).
Dwarves Deep is great for the same shit about dwarves, and actually provides a subtle explanation as to why dwarves women stopped having beards and why dwarves have been getting taller over time if you think about it.
ANY of the setting books are fantastic: Waterdeep; City of Splendours, The Vilhon Reach, Lands of Intrigue, Cormyr, The Dalelands, Old Empires, The Shining South, all are great.
Cloak and Dagger is great for secret societies and conspiracy plots.
The Volo's Guide books are for people who LOVE fluff because it's sort of a "regular dude's" view of traveling the Realms and talks mostly from the perspective of a professional tourist, mostly talking about inns and food and local custom and shit like that.