/btg/ Battletech General!

---------------------------------
Comes with his own baseball cap, edition

The /btg/ is dead - long live the /btg/!

Old thread: =================================

BattleTech video-game Beta gameplay
youtube.com/watch?v=rt6FatHHnzI

==================================

>BattleTech Introductory Info and PDFs
bg.battletech.com/?page_id=400

>Overview of the major factions?
bg.battletech.com/universe/great-houses/
bg.battletech.com/universe/the-clans/
bg.battletech.com/universe/other-powers/

>How do I find out which BattleMechs a faction has?
masterunitlist.info/

Unit Designing Softwares
>SSW Mech Designer
solarisskunkwerks.com/
>MegaMek Lab
megamek.info/
github.com/MegaMek

>/btg/ does a TRO:
builtforwar.blog(not spam)spot.com/

>How do I do this Against the Bot thing? (old)
pastebin.com/pE2f7TR5

2017-03-03 – (Against the Bot)
mediafire.com/file/kffatbm11ffus7l/Against_the_Bot_Instructions_v2-5.pdf

bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56065.0
Current 3.21 rule set is included in the mekhq package

>Map of /btg/ players (WIP):
zeemaps.com/map?group=1116217&add=1

>Rookie guides
pastebin.com/HZvGKuGx

>Sarna.net - BattleTech Wiki
sarna.net/wiki/Main_Page

>Megamek - computer version of BattleTech. Play with AI or other players
megamek.info/

>BattleTech IRC
#battletech on irc.rizon.net

>PDF Folders
mediafire.com/folder/sdckg6j645z4j/Battletech
mediafire.com/folder/cj0tjpn9b3n1i/Battletech
mediafire.com/folder/tw2m414o1j9uj/Battletech_Archives

/btg/'s own image board: - (2017-06-01 - Still getting worked on & now has 12846 pics!)
bgb.booru.org/index.php

More goodies! (Rare manuals, hex packs, TROs, discord server, etc.) Last updated 2017-05-15!
pastebin.com/uFwvhVhE

Our /btg/ Merc Unit! 2017-05-01
pastebin.com/3ffaLH9C

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/folder/sdckg6j645z4j/Battletech
pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=9890979
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>What are some good examples of dedicated melee mechs?
In addition to what the other user brought up, the Reseen Ostsol -8M and -9R are mean as Hell, and both are meant to get up in people's shit and headcap-punch all day long.

Is or does the Axman get respect?

On the grounds of technological advancement and capabilities, yes.

Of course, the engine suffers on the "human" end of the spedctrum. It is written by professionals, for professionals and the documentation is in German, assuming you won't need it as you get support along with the license.

Remember Lord Inquisitor? That animation is done in real-time and on CryEngine. That is light-years ahead of what UE or Unity could do.
The problem is that the best tends to be niche.
And it's a completely single-player oriented engine with almost no real innate network support (which begs the question which idiot at PGI decided to go for it making a multiplayer oriented game at a tight budget).
UE4 and Unity also have shitty network support but the industry has pigeon-holed into their standards.
Remember the outcry when Tribes made an Unreal Engine sequel that had to resort to 32 players per map instead of 128 of the previous game because the engine couldn't handle more? Remember that other Tribes sequel that also played at 32 players and no more because nothing changed between UE2 and UE3 on this front? Remember all those Tribes spiritual successors built on UE4 (Mid Air, for instance)
which, once again, resort to 32 players max because the engine shits itself if you throw more at it?

Almost no one bought Crysis because it was too good looking for the computers of the time.
Almost no one got Supreme Commander and the game flopped because it required far too much RAM out of you.
And so on. Being on the edge does not bring the dosh, settling for the lowest common denominator does and that's what Unity and UE4 are doing above all else, sacrificing a lot of features to make sure a high schooler couldn't fuck up hard enough to make the game unplayable.

Best-looking of the bunch, I think. The Nightstar looks better than the official art, but I never really cared for it much. The Osiris looks like it was drawn by someone trying to be FD.

Alex is no demigod of design. Even he can't make the barf-inducing legos MWO uses to look nice.
This is hardly the first mech in the game that looks badly even in the concept phase thanks to having to conform to those stupid design rules.
The design is fine, it's the brick standardized MLs that ruin the overall picture.
Allow him to make a different design fro them and voilá, the mech suddenly looks good.

What is Alex's last name and what other BT stuff has he done?

Respect enough, it's just not fielded as frequently by Steiner players as it used to be. It's all about gauss walls, now.

Iglecias, and he's done some artwork for Battletech TROs, and some cover art as well, I think. I know he did the cover to the latest boxed set which went out of print. It was originally made with Natasha Kerensky's Warhammer (As seen in the 20th anniversary art book's first PDF version), but was since scrapped and reworked into the Atlas it has now. The 25th anniversary edition boxed set hastily used the Hammerhands art that was meant for the artbook.

He's a fan artists from Veeky Forums who got actual recognition to do some covers and mechs for Catalyst after he'd been picked up for MW:O and started nailing design after design.

A list of his work would be the:
Intro Box set cover, Alpha Strike cover, Total Chaos cover, Alpha Strike Companion cover, Historical: Wars of the republic cover, TRO Prototypes cover, Field Manual: Periphery cover, TRO 3058, 3060 reprint cover, Star Corps Dossiers cover, Gun mech, Lu Wei Bing mech, Omen mech, and more... hes been at this for good 7 years now.

Damn that's Awesome. I see generally very good consistent work from him then. Nice.

>He's a fan artists from Veeky Forums who got actual recognition to do some covers and mechs for Catalyst after he'd been picked up for MW:O
He was already doing stuff for CGL for a couple years before MWO was announced.

The FWL was the first one to use WMDs in the Succession Wars, right?

Basically they started the whole "war of annihilation" mess?

This nightstar has a lot of crab elements to it, but that's not a bad thing
Can't wait for warhansa's model

How big was the Wolf touman during Operation Revival?

And how much of it perished in the Refusal War?

>How big was the Wolf touman during Operation Revival?
We have their phonebook, so that plus the second line and homeworld clusters, which IIRC are in Warden Clans

The NightSky's a pulseboat with a hatchet, making it pretty solid in melee.

>He's a fan artists from Veeky Forums

Not really. Dude went to art school and shit. That gangly Hunchback was the first piece of art of his that got trajection online.

That doesn't change he started making fan art and that he was an active Veeky Forums poster

Just like MWO's Marauder
Nice to see they are still similar in a way

>nightstar
>special camo is based on Van Gogh

10/10

Speaking of the Nightstar, by the DA, who would have access to it aside from the ex-fedcom?

The Republic Of The Stoned, obviously, and mercs would have some too.
Beyond that it's gonna be salvage, either from the WoB or FedCom, so the two leaders there would probably be the CC (of course) and dracs, with the FWL third
and the TC a fairly distant fourth
There'd be a couple floating around in the hands of pirates as well, of course

Hey guys. Walking home after having a few, I realised I never asked about this.

Back in the mid-late 90s, the early internet wasn't really known for it's pictures that could be loaded in under a minute, but I remember stumbling across many, many pieces of really basic 3D artwork either of or inspired by Battletech. One in particular that sticks in my mind is of a blue or purple Warhammer against a night sky.

By now, these images are probably stupidly low resolution my our standards, and what was cutting edge for some guy with an Amiga is laughable by our standards, but I'm wondering if anyone was able to collect these kinds of images and compile them into a zip collection.

>That gangly Hunchback was the first piece of art of his that got trajection online.
It was the Firestarter lighting up Anthrocon. Which CGL >used as cover art< once he redrew a few layers..

I love the Nightsky for many reasons. If they'd ever made a TSM version based on the standard Nightsky it'd be damn near perfect.

Non-furry version

I knew him first and foremost through deviant art. It was only later that I put two and two together and realised that some of the drawfagottry from Veeky Forums were actually his.

But prior to him and shim, I was frustrated because Wizkids/Fanpro/Whoeverthefucktheywere and later Catalyst had the most inbred pool from which they drew artists, because they pretty much didn't hire outside of who they met at Gencon personally. When the art designers finally bought their first dial-up modem and started surfing the web sometime in the early 2010s, they must have noticed a number of the better Battletech fan-artists that they have since commissioned.

But seriously, how in the literal fuck does an established games company justify putting this in an actual print product? This is bad enough that the guys behind Black Tokyo would consider it beneath them.

The body's position seems all wrong. It looks like he has clown make up on his cheeks. The size and positioning of the legs is awful. Who the hell created that abortion?

"Now" being a very bendy definition. It was so 5 years ago, and it was old even then. Gauss rifles are an unfortunate, easy caveat to which every player stumbles along their way of learning the game, regardless of faction. I suspect it has been so ever since '89, but I wasn't around there and then to witness it.

But hey - at least it's not Clan ERPPCs.

My guess is they decided to forgo the artists and just draw it themselves.

>I suspect it has been so ever since '89, but I wasn't around there and then to witness it.
Yes. Very much so. The BT "meta" is basically just the progression of the latest batch of computer game kiddies through the same stages all of us have gone through. Some stop at gauss, some go for Clans, some go straight to PAFTech and never look back. Most of us waddle around drunkenly between a bunch of shit before quietly entering senescence on MegaMek. And there will always be the one guy convinced his latest 3/5 with twelve MLs and SRMs is THE BEST DESIGN EVAR OMG.

I've slid the slope to megamek, but I think I can see light at the end of the tunnel. I found a few local friends to play the game on the table again, going straight on with nothing but the original introbox. It's like... reincarnation at a karmic standstill, where I neither progress or regress in form.

I still do desire one thing - to go fully 3150. Just leave all the silly bickering of those old days behind, and start living on the very bleeding edge of the newest of new silly bickering.

>THE BEST DESIGN EVAR OMG.
HYPER ENTROPIC WARFARE CAN NEVAR BE STOPPED!!!!

HYPERVENTILATING WARFARE AAAAAA

I'm kind of enjoying the 3145/50 stuff as everyone has been getting a good mix of oddball high tech designs. Stormcrow III has got me wet in my pants

So on the topic of Gausswalls, I have a match coming up with a clanner and I kind of wanted to try this strategy against him. How does this look?

1xHollander (BZK-F3)
1xGauss Jagermech (JM6-DG)
1xNightstar
1xFafnir

Yeah, it's good stuff. Better art, better writing, fully cutting loose with the full range of TacOps gear. Some real nice variety and creativity in those books, even if the initial PDF release scheme was awful.

Figured I'd take these out of a case and try and take pics because I don't think I have ones of them painted. Gonna have to bend my crab's arms back into place because they warped at some point. The material these are made of is not very heat tolerant, so I am going to have to change how they are stored. however they are very easy to re-bend into place if you apply a little hot water. Really it's like ol' GW finecast without the utter shit casting quality.

Of course I would try and take pics when my main lightbulb has gone and died... One of these days I am just gonna get a lightbox set up. When I stop forgetting.

I'm sure those stripes play better in real life^tm, but dang does the macro photography highlight the sloppiness.

Yeah it's one of those details that you basically can't see as how wobbly they are from even close tabletop distances.

The camera is an unforgiving eye. I mean, just look at this. Then shrink it to 2" high, suddenly my painting isn't garbage but rather perfectly mediocre.

>suddenly my painting isn't garbage but rather perfectly mediocre

Given that you went hard-mode with all them checks and chevrons I'd up-rate it to 'not bad' from 'mediocre'.

The Dark Ages are, amusingly enough, drawing technology availability towards the point where anyone in any faction can field near-analogous yet faction-specific and perfectly justifiable units to compete with what once were "cool guys only" hardware. A big hand to the general release of clantech, certainly.

"I love you thiiiiis much" bump.

God, AC-10s are some real motherfuckers in the BT beta. 75 damage to the AC-20's 100, but with decent range. They're basically Gauss rifles.

I don't have the beta can you expand on this and why do they not do 10? I thought it's based on the tt? If a 20 is only a quarter more what if any bonus does it have?

>Malvina in the Black Rose raping Tara Campbell

The only way you could get more lesbian is if Katana Tormark wasn't dead.

Damage values are closer to MWO, and much higher so that mechs wouldn't have a total of say... 64 armor like the Locust does on the TT. Plus since they're getting shot at more, the designs need it.

Most weapons have had their damage increased by a factor of five or so, with armor receiving a corresponding if not necessarily exactly proportional increase.

So, SRMs are 10 damage, MLs 25, PPCs 50, etc.

However, there are exceptions. LRMs each do 4 damage, but they seem to be rolling a hit for each missile, so part of the spread will almost always hit. Also, they're better at knocking stuff over. AC-2s and 10s, and maybe 5s, seem to have gotten a disproportionate boost.

Interesting.
Sounds like it will cause some habits to be broken. But I am happy to hear ac10s are a bit more potent because I have a soft spot for them esp being on some of my favorite intro tech mechs.
The lrm change sounds so odd. Are infernos included if so how do they behave?

They set out to fix some of the biggest fuck ups of Battletech as the multiplayer is going to be stock-only.

Making Autocannons not absolute dog shit was the first obvious step.

Also changed a few things around to give more variation into the mechanics.
For instance, AC fire rocks the mech so every fired AC lowers your hit chances the next turn.
But the ammo explosion simply renders the ammo unusable and you need two to blow up the mech, no more walking death traps.

>Are infernos included if so how do they behave?
They aren't, at least in the beta.

Also, LRMs are some bullshit now. They do the most stability damage, which determines if you fall or not, and a knockdown basically guarantees a pilot hit. 6 hits kills, and if you're facing an LRM swarm, this comes really fast, especially as each missile rolls individually and the AI gets more head hits than you'd expect. I just lost two mechs purely to pilot hits in a single match, which is a really unpleasant way to lose, especially when you're also LRM swarming and you have to manually rip through the enemy's armor because you aren't getting the head hits the AI is.

So an Urbie can be a bigger threat now?

Hmm. Well I don't plan on doing much of any mplay when bt comes out. But good to know thanks for heads up. I like to think I'm decent at the game it will be frustrating to have a new learning curve.

Having just played a 3 Urbie/1 Victor vs Locust/Commando/Shad/Griffin match and won with only one casualty, yes, Urbies can be a little more threatening now. They're still garbage cans of terribleness, but less so than before.

Hell yeah, urbie.

Anyone have Campaign Operations?

I believe there is a copy of it in at least the second of the three mediafire accounts in the OP.

>mediafire.com/folder/sdckg6j645z4j/Battletech
Thank you kindly.

What are the AK-47 and M-16 of battlemechs?

>AK-47
The Archer: common as dirt, basically always works, just add ammo.

>M-16
I don't know my guns, so I have no idea. Assuming it's some super common and basically functional weapon, something like the bugs or trio mechs.

AK47 - Wolverine

M-16 - Warhammer or Marauder

>AK-47
The Thunderbolt, it's got two ranks of Rugged, and could be buried for months in a hole in the ground with no issues.

>M-16
Classic -2R Marauder, probably. It was a big deal even into the late Third Succession War because of how great the armor was.

>AK-47
Thud
>M-16
Archer

How easy is it for a House Unit to be assigned dropships? Are some units based on a world and have to share a ride with other units?

Prestige units and most command groups have their own. The problem is more the units that are more garrisons than anything or militia units.

Also most people have some dedicated dropships but not enough for their whole force. It's one reason you see a number of split units.

So if you wanted to take the 1st Fancy Nancies from Fancy to raid Bumfuck, they might need to borrow a couple ships from the 223rd Nancies to make the trip.

Now every fleet also needs lots of cargo, jumpships and supplies. Those almost always get hired or commandeered for operations.

Okay, I figured it was something like this. I will take this into account when I deal with house units that need transport. Much thanks.

Anyone have a fillable sheet for a Time of War?

If you aren't autistic enough to make your own, you shouldn't be playing AToW. Go play a less stupid system, like MW3rd.

What makes it stupid, friend?

"Fillable sheets" for the RPGs are generally unheard of. Sometimes a guy makes a program or excel spreadsheet, but I've found they're often poorly written and don't work as intended.

ENTER: The Pencil. Pens are also viable options.

>Pens are also viable options.
I would *not* use a pen for AToW. I *would* use a firepit though.

Everyone was going to do it, but yes.

HOLY SMOKES new favorite light mech.

I was playing with my buddy company on company in hilly map. My Osiris 4d got 5 kills. Brutal backstabber.

Found it, but kinda wish I hadn't. This is from 1988, on the back of a paper book cover we were issued to protect our textbooks. Turning them inside-out and decorating them to personalize your books was fairly common.

At least when I went to scan it, I found the Cronus I'd been working on.

Oh man, I recognize that image
Brings me way back to palladium robotech and the Mecha Mujihadeen days

torrent for the beta when

Banshee bump

>i want things but don't want to pay money
Suck it up buttercup.

Clan Invasion or FedCom Civil War DLC for the BT vidya when?

If I drop some money on the 35 bucks backer kit do I get into the beta? If so, then yeah I'll give them my money.

Anytime Ive seen anyone post something painted you passive aggressive trash everyones work. So I am curious, can you post some of your minis.

You need to get into the 60 dollar level for beta

Who knows? Both would be fun though.

>I am against piracy because piracy is bad

When btg became so much of a faggot?

>On a thread where the OP has so much to download.
You may complain about piracy but you're already swabbing the poop deck.

dropship bump

Was thinking...
Has there already been an "Objective Raids" product for the Dark Age period? I'd like to know what mechs are being made where...
How well did the Jihad batch do?

OP is just violating CGL's intellectual property, and it's hugely arguable that they deserve it.

OTOH, torrenting the Beta is violating HBS's intellectual property, and they really haven't done anything to deserve it. The fact that CGL IP appears in the OP doesn't have anything to do with wanting to get stuff from HBS for free.

>Has there already been an "Objective Raids" product for the Dark Age period?
No, thank God
>How well did the Jihad batch do?
Grease fire in a dumpster full of adult diapers and used onaholes/10

What's the source of these ?

The filename points me at Pixiv ,but I could be wrong.

BINGO!

pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=9890979

>Japanese Battletech fan.
Oh the poor, unfortunate soul.