Have you ever had any really sad, legitimately tear-jerking moments in your campaign?

Have you ever had any really sad, legitimately tear-jerking moments in your campaign?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=O6rCpWMHEOw
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>First Session
>I ask to see my player's sheets.
>They give them to me
>Tears

>playing 5e campaign with a party comp is basically paladin, fighter, bard and rogue.
>DM decides to do a sort of mystery session, where the party volunteers to investigate a murder case because the paladin is a righteous prick
>go around town and investigate, gather up three different leads from the guard's prime suspect (the victim's father) thanks to the paladin's Zone of Truth
>The leads are: A farmer and his wife, a drow who lived on the outskirts of town and kept to himself and a minor noble/rich guy who was a bit infamous for having a bad temper and had an abusive relationship with the wife.
>we decide to talk to all of them, gather a bit of information from all of them. Farmer seemed a bit confused and hesitant, so we decide to talk to his wife instead.
>one of the party members gets the idea of getting the rogue to disguise himself as the farmer and walk around the house to gather papers
>we all think it's a brilliant idea, bard helps him out as the party ensembles a plan.
>rogue enters the house while fighter and paladin go and distract the farmer
>bard is somewhere in the middle, making sure things go to plan
>as the rogue finds some papers and is on his way out to steal it, wife comes along
>players didn't expect this, rogue decides to play along and try to impersonate his husband with some good roleplaying and a passable roll
>wife doesn't seem to suspect a thing
>they have a short conversation and, all of the sudden, the wife brings up the memory of their child
>what
>apparently, their kid died in an accident
>DM roleplays this and describes it so fucking well, saying how the wife looked like she was holding back tears and expressing the way that she misses her child and that she felt guilty for what happened
>the rest of the table is dead silent
>rogue tries not to cry and hugs wife
>after the scene was over, everyone was silent for a few moments

I know it may not be super sad, but it was unexpected and the DM did a great job at it.

>Great first campaign arc, everyone is hyped up for what comes next
>People miss sessions
>ask why
>Oh just life and things, we still like the campaign and are hyped for next week!
>Two months have passed
>There are no games
>I know the campaign is dead but no one admits it

I don't get it.

I'm pretty sure that OP meant sad stuff -in- your campaign, but that's pretty fucking sad man. Have you talked to them about it?

It hasn't even been an hour and this thread is already on page six.

Shit.

This was from a Cyberpunk2020 game a long time ago

>campaign of CP2020 about how fucking awful shit is, as always
>one character is a dude who stocks vending machines but turns to crime because of some medical bills for a sister (i think)
>another is a bomb squad cop who got his arms blown off and went a little nuts, but still tries to be a good guy, former cop and all
>there was also a chick who was basically a blogger who investigated all her own stories
>last was that guy (not That Guy), a really fucked up dude
>the stock boy meets him in a bar, hires him for a merc job, because hes wearing combat armor and drinking whiskey likes it water - he also has a handgun thats gone through multiple tours
>stock boy has a dailung vending machine pistol that he stole
>turns out the fucked up combat vet went through three tours in central america, including the Long Walk, and hes fucked up something fierce on Black Lace - hes basically the fucking terminator
>everyone else in the party is terrified of him, which he doesnt mind, because he doesnt feel - he juices up anytime his robot demeanor starts to slip
>he kills anyone. everyone. women, kids, bad dudes, good dudes, it doesn't fucking matter. One time the party was trapped in a restaurant freezer with a horde of cybered up zipper heads chewing through the door - that guy wastes them all with a grenade launcher and liberal use of automatic fire
>stone cold terrified
>and then the stock boy does something stupid - he decides to follow that guy when he leaves the party for the day, find out what he really does in his off hours
>turns out, the only thing that guy does is grovel, lick dog shit off the ground, lick the boots of his drug dealer - a twenty something shit glammed up like a jap rocker, who doles out his Black Lace for not just money, but degradation and humiliation - which that guy gladly takes
>stock boy can't take it, decides to follow that guy home

cont

Not my current campaign, but we had one where we were guided through this dangerous, super-magical cave they used to use to test people who wanted to be archamges by the spirit of an unborn child within the party's sorceress, who miscarried precisely because of all the arcane energy and shit blasting at all of us through it.

What followed was a series of events that kinda stunned everyone playing in that session. stock boy was able to catch the soldier on an off period where the Black Lace wasn't turning him into a robot, and while he thought the soldier would kill him, he realized he would never ever fear the man ever again.

The player of the soldier spilled out everything, because thats how Black Lace works - it removes your ability to feel, until your off it and emotions come back triple - and he hadn't talked to anyone in a long time - years. He talked about how his friends got blown away in nicaragua, how his LT burned to death screaming the whole time, and how a guy who he didn't know and shared a drink with, was found in the jungle with his cock stuffed in his mouth. A truck overturned on his arm and he held on to the driver, pinned on the other side and drowning in the rain, telling him to hold on, help was coming, just hold on - when the medics got to him, the arm was lost, lost ages ago (it had been days under that blown up truck), but he swore the driver was still alive, could still feel him squeezing. Could still feel him even now. Talked about how his girlfriend just couldn't get over his cyberarm and how this perfect little plan for his life was now gone - talked about how he almost beat her new boyfriend to death with that same arm. Somewhere along the way he discovered Black Lace, and it made him stop feeling all these things - but it also made him do things he never would - kill women, kill kids, lick dogshit off the ground for a punk. But it was all necessary, all of it, just so you could go to sleep and not have to FEEL.

During all this, the player was crying.

When stock boy asked "why are you tell me this?" the soldier replied "because you think im going to kill you. you all do. and all i want to do is keep you safe. thats all ive ever wanted to do."

Holy shit, user. I would've bawled like a bitch right then and there. That's fucking brutal.

That sounds like something straight out of Silent Hill. How did the players feel about it?

>Running a Fallout game

>End of the campaign
>One of the PC's used a super drug that heavily mutates the user but quintuples their physical abilities
>After having a one hour fight with the boss he tells his son he loves him and he's safe now
>He then mutates and loses his mind, becoming an animal

>Same campaign
>One of the players is battling with their husabando
>Raider grabs the PC's tesla pistol and jams it into her head
>He then orally rapes her while his friend mutilates and tortures her husband in front of her
>After the oral rape is done she has to choose between her life and her husbands life
>She chooses her life
>Her husband begins to cry and says that he loves her and forgives her
>He is then turned to ashed by the raider with the tesla pistol and the PC is left to mourn her dead husband

I had a good cry along with my players during both of these encounters/scenes.

This was strong tobacco.

This made me cry.

>Playing a hardcore only war, we think it'll be fun to do darwinian character creation like shoggy from the All Guardsmen Party
>First 10 or so characters dying heros, glorious charges to the death then being hacked to pieces by orks the next round
>Start to get some characters living a little longer than the others due to good old experience and hard-won know-how
>One character, I forget how, but starts talking about their homeworld
>We all come up with backstories, just so it hits home for our resident powergamer the theme that these people who keep dying are all people, they all want to live
>powergamer rolls a new character, rolls the random name generator and gets the same last name as another PC
>Takes our little lesson about role-playing to heart, comes up with this backstory about being the other PC's big brother
>They actually work together like a fucking pro-team
>They keep saving each other, and keep saying "I got you bro"
>Say it so much it becomes a team thing that just means something akin to "I'm covering you, you're safe when you're with me"
>Eventually the Regiment gets folded into this other Rough rider regiment
>flying these Pegasus things, fighting orks, things are getting pretty bad
>We have vital intel about the main warboss's movement, we need to get it to top brass so they can lance him from orbit
>The commissar died in a jousting match with an ork warboss on a choppa-copter (flying deff dread for stats) but took it down as he died so we could get away
>Sgt stays behind to hold a trench with the civilian militia we were trying to evacuate, but ended up being too slow and had to make a last stand
>Sniper gets hit by some stray rounds from a suppressing fire and bleeds out as the SGT was the only one with medical gear
>Finally near to an outpost, we get attacked again, and there are only the two brothers left
>Savage bolter burst shreds the younger brothers mount
Cont...

Not quite what you're looking for but:

>get invited to a DnD campaign by some people I know through friends
>I'm the FNG so I don't want to screw up too hard
>Learn the basics and get my character in order
>Get there and start in bumblefuck-nowhereville
>game seems to be going alright, I only fucked up on mechanics once or twice
>couple of the old hands are acting a bit strange, getting cagey about minor details
>over the next few sessions I get a feeling that something's seriously wrong
>eventually one of them breaks down
>turns out her boyfriend had been abusing her
>other guy admits that he's been diagnosed with highly invasive cancer
>everybody else at the table takes turns to lay their burdens at their feet
>Turns out I'm the only person in the game that hasn't attempted suicide at one point or another
>I just wanted to fight the necromancer

And that's about the point that I decided to give RPG's a wide berth.

>the older brother grabs the reins of his mount and passes two agility tests to plummet down and catch his brother mid fall
>Manages to grab him, pull him on, pull the reins up and level out his flight
>Younger brother is fucking stunned that he's alive, even OOC the player is amazed
>they're no out of the woods yet, enemy mega-choppa (flying trukk) closing in on them
>Bolter shells flying everywhere, suddenly older brother bites it to the back of the head
>Dies instantly
>Younger brother fails to hold on to him, only grabs his dogtags which come loose as he falls, headless, to the ground
>Can't go back, have to give the intel
>Leaving his brothers body to fall, he manages to escape... only just...
>Arrives at base camp days later, being hailed a hero he's just empty
>After medical treatment he's just getting drunk by a bin-fire trying to figure out why he was promoted
>looks at the dogtags
>scratched into the back of his brothers dogtags "I got you bro"

Even the players got teary eyed from that one

goddamnit now I have to go listen to that song or it'll be stuck in my head forever

When it was canceled because our GM got tired of it and wanted to make us play his homebrew totally-gonna-write-a-book-about-this super cool setting

He tried to make us play it 3 thimes already, we always stopped after a couple sessions

was intended for OP

Jesus fucking Christ this is sad...

They can still see his headless body stalking through the night,

and the muzzle flash of Roland's Thompson gun...

>second-to-last bossfight of campaign
>Lich Lord
>Paladin is the leader of our group
>Makes a deal with Charon to exchange his eternal soul for the ability to ghost through the entire boss encounter and destroy the lich's phylactery
>fight was a cake walk after that
>party had to take on his personal quest, essentially putting down a broken oath paladin from our paladin's past
>first character death of campaign
>he taught my character so much about adventuring

cocks

XD

Legitimately made me tear up.

dude, I can't take it
me being really close to my younger brother
this cut me right through to my feels

>40k campaign
>my character's side quest is to look for his son
>main plot continues, we do stuff left and right
>at some point we are loading stuff into our thunderhawk
>there had been sightings of my son in that very airport
>I look around and start asking questions
>walk around, that servitor looks familiar
>get up closer
>my son has been turned into a servitor
>end up hugging some machine that was my son at some point and that just emotionlessly moves about trying to load and unload shit in the harbour
It would have been better if I had learnt he was dead.

That's fucked.

There was a time two guys in my table got teary-eyed.

>accept sidequest from an old man in town to go into the forest and kill a crazy hermit and recover a locket
>they go and kill the murderous old fuck
>bring the locket back
>learn from the old man that the hermit was his younger brother that went crazy one day and killed their mother before fleeing into the forest
>he opens the locket and inside there is a tiny picture of this woman with two young boys
>old man starts crying because he can finally see his mom again after all these years but he is also sad about his brother because he kept the locket for all these years after all
>apparently I described this so well that some of my players got emotional

They refused the quest reward.

Damn.

oh man...
Let me go give my brother a call...

When my Clerics Faith was broken into tiny sharp pieces by the discovery of what her Goddess really was.

Iladriel Tovahiil was a Guardian of the Faith, both in proselytizing and in wacking people upside the head. She truly believed in Valayeshte (she-Jesus) and made sure that those for whom she was responsible ate well enough, slept well enough, and were cared for. Her party felt that this was annoying behavior, but she bore it with a grim smile. She had seen much pain in the world, and she only ever wanted it to be better. She was dogmatic, absolutely, but she had a heart of gold under her prickly nature.

When she found out that other gods were real, absolutely Real, it shook her.

When she found out they were Aztec-style gods who only hold together the world with blood and suffering, she snapped.

Only the Goblins in their far isle still practiced the rites necessary to keep the gods fed and keeping the world running.

Until this point, I, as a human being, had never understood the motivation to destroy the world.

I finally got it.

In the moment she Knew about the nature of the gods she didn't weep; that wasn't her way. She didn't rage to the heavens or throw a fit.

She sat down, opened her pack, and pulled a bottle out. It was labeled "EMERGENCY ONLY" in elvish. With a pop the cork came out and she began to drink from it. It burned, like most strong liquors do. And she drank
And she drank
And she drank

No one could get a response from her. Once the bottle was done, she staggered off to bed. In the morning they found the shell shocked remnants of a woman who had been most proud, and was now a sagging mess of flesh on bone. She gave orders listlessly until she was brought before a high ranking Church Member with a sorceress. They put their heads together and figured out how to genocide the Goblins.

She went laughing into hell, as the gods stopped maintaining the world.
"Maybe next time you'll do Better" were her last words, chastising the gods.

Me describing how BROKEN she was by this info raised some tears in eyes. They were used to her being mean bitch mama bear, not this sadsack drunk.

Does no-one know how to FEEL anymore?

character in a zombie apocalypse game had lost his girlfriend to cancer (in the game), swore to protect his new apocalypse gf from the zombies at any cost, ended up failing and watching her torn apart and ended up killing himself over it.

The world is filled with soyboys, user. Nietzche's Last Men, who soullessly calculate the safest form of hedonism their social status can afford.

The barbarian who weeps in battle, the mother who holds fast her young against coming darkness, the martyrs and philosophers who burn for their art...vanquished, under a tide of user-targeted ads, twentieth-century bureaucracies and Tinder notifications.

I was the fun loving thief wizard
Party goes to a necrotic corrupted land sto stop bad guy. Gets my soul ripped out and turned into a skeleton. Later I die, but come back even more corrupted.
Loose humanity to stop the corpse god and as he returns defeat his avatar.
Turns out I'm the last link of the death god, celestial god appears and asks me why I fought , "because it was the right thing to do". Party has to kill me and I turn to dust.

I hate novelist dms. Fuck do I hate them.

I cry at the ending to gladiator, every time. And Wolf Children. That movie destroyed me.

>played a character whose backstory was that he was reincarnated
>little by little regained memories from his previous life.
>I had a wife and daughter that I died protecting from a gang of bandits
>Near the end of the campaign I found my wife, but she was old and blind.
>"I'm sorry, but were you X's wife?"
>Her eyes widen, and she stares at me
>"Who are you? You sound familiar."
>"I was a friend of his. He was a good man."
>"Thank you. I wish he was still here today."
>leave, but make arrangements for half of my gold to be sent to her every month
>Never find my daughter

Ah man, that's sad.

Dude that caught my heartstring for just a second, damn

The first time the party was betrayed by someone they legit thought of as a friend. Still one of the best sessions we ever had.

>bard's family is murdered by orcs
>only her mother survived
>ends personal quest to find her and breaks the news of the family's death, afterwards plays a song to remember them by (natural 20 on performance)
>the dm takes that as the song being too goddamn sad and in the morning the bard finds her mother hung herself as a result

>paying alimony in your fantasy world

holy shit thats gloriously pathetic

Its not really alimony if no one is forcing you to give any money

I'm not really a crying person.

dont worry, neither are any of the bullshit artists in this thread

>be second session of rouge trader game
>have to take out pirates harassing trade routes and such
>pirate leader is female. Basically big boss with tits as the gm described her
"I would like to challenge her to a drinking contest if I win she fucks off if I lose I fuck off"
>ff to contest
>rolled horribly up to that point spent 2 fate points not to pass out
>last round strongest drink possible is brought out
>dark eldar pc drugs her drink
>I pass last test and pirate leader passes out
>tell crew to take her to my cabin
hours later
>she wakes up and after a short conversation we wind up fucking
>decide to propose to her right there
>she says yes
>my rogue trader now controls the pirate fleet
>gm tells me I ruined at least 3 sessions worth of planning
Put me in tears

>Players fucked up massively and failed to prevent a kraken attack on not!Venice
>Next session is them cleaning up the half-destroyed town
>Every so often they stumble upon the corpse of one of the NPC's they met in that arc
>Session ends with a mass viking burial of all the dead
>Female players are visibly bawling
>Even male players have misty eyes

Felt good

My character realizing that the woman he wanted revenge on for killing his brother and ruining family was gone a long time ago. He screamed at the person impersonating her to give his brother back. He ended up strangling the impersonator to death and realizing 30 years of his life had been wasted being a husk obsessing over his dead brother.

>My druid player's character arcs is to find her dad who she never met
>The session before they were going to find him, her character is killed
>I don't allow resurrect spells in my games, but I do allow for resurrections if certain in-story criteria are met
>Next session, the party brings dead druid's corpse to her father
>Father sacrifices himself to resurrect the druid
>Druid player realises the sheer poetic irony that this means her character will never actually get to meet her father
>Player starts crying

Helped that the resurrection scene was scored to this: youtube.com/watch?v=O6rCpWMHEOw

Hanged.

I ended an almost-two-year-long campaign a while back and there were some really touching moments in the end that had me tearing up. Characters that have been close friends and risked their lives together for a long-ass time coming to terms that their mission is finally over.

It bordered on homoerotic.

No, you're the bullshit artist.

I fear for the day that happens to me.

>It bordered on homoerotic.
This is not enough

Wouldn't a crit success on a song of remembrance result in closure?

They tore the paper.