NEWS

>Commander 2017 Spoilers
mythicspoiler.com/c17/index.html

>Latest Commander Ban Announcement
mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18588

>Latest MTGO Banlist Update
wizardsmtgo.tumblr.com/post/160343614814/update-mtgo-commander

RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

>Thread Question
whats is your favorite deck archtype and why? tokens, super friends, voltron, combo, etc

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.gg/UE9Vqzu
mythicspoiler.com/c17/index.html
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/the-rakdos-tax-collector/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

If you had to choose between Reanimate, Necromancy, Animate Dead, and Victimize for a slot in your deck, which would you choose and why?

>friends from work trying to get me back into magic
>Hey lets play a game of commander!
>nevermind that you have no idea what the goal of the deck is or what the fuck any of the cards do
>hurry up the next round of the tournament is starting

>Veeky Forums EDH General Discord
discord.gg/UE9Vqzu

Please include this in the OP again. Some bitter person excluded it in the previous OP.

Discords are cancer filled with avatarfagging circle jerks. Please advertise your discord on Reddit where it belongs.

>Commander 2017 Spoilers
>mythicspoiler.com/c17/index.html
So, if true, then two of the tribes are humans and dragons.

Any guesses as to the other two?

Reanimate. For B you get a creature, with a negligible downside in a 40 life format, and without doubling up your opponent's chances to kill it. Maybe Victimize if you're running a lot of high CMC creatures to bring back.
No.

the human guy is part of the dragon deck, there are more legendaries in each one cause only 4 decks this time around

Taigam is Dragon support, and WU+BRG is the full pie. If you think Taigam means it's humans then the other tribes are cats and spirits.

I'm fairly new to EDH (and magic in general) and I have a question about Experiment Kraj. Lots of cards mention themselves by name in their abilities, like Master Biomancer for instance. "Each other creature you control enters the battlefield with a number of additional +1/+1 counters on it equal to Master Biomancer's power and as a Mutant in addition to its other types." If I +1/+1 Master Biomancer Kraj will get his effect, but does it do anything since Kraj isn't named Master Biomancer?

Alright then I'll be back on OP duty again.

Table is running current monogods, got hazoret. Gimme suggestions aside from Squee/Norin.

>What's your favorite deck archetype?
Probably enchantress and/or stax/control, control being mostly creature/permanent hate, since i don't run many counterspells usually in any of my decks.
In my casual Rafiq, I don't think I run any counterspells, in Hanna stax I run 4 Decree of Silence included, about 8-10 in my T&L deck which is about to be deconstructed and 11 in my Memnarch artifacts deck, which is probably lower, since I just check them at tappedout which I haven't updated in ages.
Both T&L and Memnarch run Trickbind and Stifle that are counted and Mental Misstep as well.

>whats is your favorite deck archtype and why?
Usually balls to the wall aggro, why wait for the control player to set up or take 5 turns to really do anything

>whats is your favorite deck archtype and why? tokens, super friends, voltron, combo, etc

I N F E C T

love watching durdly do nothing players get rekt

Experiment Kraj only copies activated abilities, not replacement effects like Master Biomancer. That's just for future knowledge. But all copy effects implicitly replace the original card name with the new card name. So if you had, say, a Thornling, which has {G}: Thornling gains Trample until end of turn, with a +1/+1 counter on it, Kraj would have {G}: Experiment Kraj gains Trample until end of turn.

>waaa Veeky Forums wont advertise my shitty circle jerk

fuck off

I like permanent based reanimation, such as Phyrexia Delver, Necromancy, Dance of the Dead and Animate Dead, but easily the favorite one is Coffin Queen.
She's an absolute workhorse on my Ayli cleric tribal and constantly recurring big guys such as Angel of Despair and the better version of her that's the archon I never remember the name of. Repeatable reanimation is the key, since I usually focus on long term value instead of silver bullets.

My new commander deck is filled with defenders and walls. Led by Doran, The Siege Tower.

Doran is now a tree/the moon
You don't have enchant hate in hand
Wat do

Play A Salt Form A Ton.

Correct play

Dude chill, that was a neutral response at worst. Just relax man

doesnt change the fact that that you are trying advertize your shitty discord (which is against the global rules of Veeky Forums btw). go back to r/eddit with that crap

I can second Coffin Queen being great in a grindy reanimator deck. I got one for Shirei and it's easily one of my favorite cards in that deck.

Coffin Queen is just a massive target on your head. Playing this with something spooky in your graveyard will just draw the table's full aggro.

Reanimate is the best because it allows for the most explosive plays and has practically no downside. Like you could go turn 1 Dark Rit->Entomb->Reanimate and end up with a turn 1 Jin Gitaxis or something similar.

Permanent-based reanimation is basically adding another way to stop your reanimation. Like Animate Dead basically says "this creature also dies to enchantment removal."

i never knew this card existed, into meren it goes

>whats your favorite deck archetype and why?
maximum synergy decks are my favorite, even if they have shitty themes or based on a bad mechanic, decks that interact with every other piece in the deck really get my mana rocks off
some personal favorites, Zada spellslinger, Aethreos shadowborn apostles, Venser bounce, Atraxa charge counters, Gitrog.dec, Reaper King five-color jank

Luckily for me my play group targets me every time for no fucking reason no matter what I do so I can put whatever the fuck I want in my decks.

My group is the same way too :(

I don't even understand why. I can't even remember the last time I won a game.

Usually ends up being your playstyle or your skill level.

Basically my hatred stemmed after one of my playgroup mates started keeping track of our wins and putting them into percentages. So the Commander win rate average should be around 25% (4 players in a game, each player wins an equal amount of times, etc). He said my ratio was around 68%.

So every time we play and someone mercilessly goes after me for no reason (like I've barely developed a board/mulligan'd into oblivion) they say "Look how much he wins" or "he wins 68% of the time."

Win rates have been the bane of my existence and I also have to keep my competitive decks on lock-and-key because no one wants to play against them anymore.

Also I generally favor more stax/lockdown and people don't find them fun except for me.

It's been in the OP for the past month and has almost 70 users. I think you can let go of the notion it's not relevant. No one is forcing you to join but it's going back in the OP because it's a resource for the majority of users.

>Basically my hatred stemmed after one of my playgroup mates started keeping track of our wins and putting them into percentages.
Holy shit, talk about cancer.

We all started playing EDH when the 2015 precons came out and we each had one. I was the first person to start buying cards and changing the deck. I am also the one who builds lots of decks cause I am the only one with a decent job. I think they all perceive me as the most dangerous cause I have cards they have never heard of (even if most of them are like dollar bulk rares).

I just ended up building Gwafa pillow fort and now no one can really do anything to me or anyone else cause I say no.

>resource
>sperging about "competitive"
>sperging about "budget"
>just sperging
It's exactly as useful as the thread except instead of having two people with names, one of whom is a judge, we have 70 people with names, all of whom are retarded.

I think the issue is, while I think I'm a pretty good player/deckbuilder, no one really "dedicates" to a deck. Like everyone has ADD and is trying to build the new hotness every week while I've been sticking to my guns for years. Like I build new decks but I've had some decks together for years, just with edits and tweaks as I go.

So really it's just a matter of me understanding my decks better and tuning them as much as possible which people perceive as "skill."

>I don't like this thing so no one should use this thing

If I had a nickel every time I see this childish argument in this general alone I could be a professional shitposter.

I had the same problem with one of my past groups. My win rate was something like 75-80%. I found the solution was to build decks that makes the game take as long as possible, so that it gets to the point where nobody really cares who wins anymore. I built a Horobi, Death's Wail and a Venser, Shaper Savant who both excelled at making the game last forever. I also feel like some kind of group life gain deck could have worked just as well. I still won most of the time, but if enough interaction happens in the game, people tend to forget about who hits 0 first, and remember more about the sick plays. Another tip I could give is to focus on being an emphatic group player. Like when someone does something, even if it's not that cool, or kind of a shit play, get all excited and be over the top about it. I find people like to keep you in the game if they're having fun with you.

>thread question
I'm a tempo man, so my decks are usually flexible with battlecruiser leanings. I've been dipping into more combo/control pieces recently though.

I want to make a zombie token flood gisa&geralf or Thraximundar deck

What are good cards for this?
So far i got:
>army of the D
>zombie apocalypse
>lillys mastery
>endless ranks of the dead
>dark salvation
>death baron, lord of the accursed, lord of the undead
>rooftop storm

Are there any more "fuckton of zombies" cards i havn't found yet?

>M-muh user is LEEJUN

I've begun shifting my focus away from the stax stuff into more "do crazy shit" stuff. It gets you less hate and is still competitive generally. I do like playing shutout cards (like Torpor Orb is one of my favorite cards) but we all have to make sacrifices.

My politics have kinda devolved into my deck style, which is to not be overtly threatening until you win. So generally I lean into spellslinger decks that don't typically have much of a board presence so I can't be outright perceived as the threat.

I also try to find common enemies with people early in the game and it often means like "Let me do this crazy thing because it helps deal with the problem on board."

Noosegraf Mob
Relentless dead
Cryptbreaker
Diregraf Colossus
Graf Harvest

Sounds like you're shit as politics.

Hey, you can only haggle your way out of so many situations.

Worldfire is banned. Go with Decree of Annihilation. Get a copy of Dual Casting.

Considering you're up against all mono-color decks... Boil, Boiling Seas, Flashfires, Anarchy, Omen of Fire, Blood Moon, Curse of Marit Lage, Heat Wave, Magnetic Mountain, Scald, Havoc, Magistrate's Veto, Red Elemental Blast, Pyroblast.

War's Toll is good for you, too.

Also from the look of your current spells you badly want to have an Isochron Scepter.

I mean at best keeping track of winrates is a way to even the odds in deck power discrepency. At worst it was a political move to put you in their sights. Either way, you've dug yourself in a shitty political situation.

Sounds like you need to start tracking win rates.

Then tell everyone that [that guy] has a 73% win rate.

Well one of our members was keeping track of our winrates privately, it's not like we said "let's track our winrates and see how we do." He was just keeping a personal tally of wins and a couple weeks ago he let slip what our winrates were.

My politics worked pretty well for years but now whenever I try to make a political maneuver (even if it's literally "I'm trying to not die and we need to kill this guy because he's about to kill us all") I get "68% winrate" as a response.

Hell it's even gotten to the point where people will choose to kamikaze me or dick me over on the way out because of a winrate I never asked to be tracked.

okay...
i have 200$ to spend
should i get
>the card i need to finish my competitive deck, imperial recruiter

or
>200$ towards my stax deck

Why is fork much more than reverberate? I am aware of the reserved list but they do the same damn thing

That card art is awful but to answer your question I would finish the stax since stax is always fun

Because reverberate has been printed a hundred times more often.

Actually reverberate had less printings than fork

>competitive EDH
>Anime alter
>can't make basic decisions on his own
Take those 200$, buy a gun and hang yourself.

I'm new to magic so I'm trying to figure out why certain cards are really good and such, but why is Imperial Recruiter a $250 card? Besides the fact that as far as I can tell it was only printed once. Not many tutors in Red?

The printing numbers 20 years ago were tiny compared to today.

literally against the rules of Veeky Forums you colossal faggot, global rule 11

legacy staple that was only printed a billion years ago. its also a red tutor

welcome to magic were wizards of the cost refuses to reprint cards because less than 1% of the player base, many of whom dont even play magic and have not for years, will get butt hurt

Don't forget to tell him to OD first.

At least stop using the proprietary web-based shit that is discord and use a real VOIP program like mumble. At least then you'd be less of a faggot.

Portal Three Kingdoms was a foreign-only print. Not only were the cards run in extremely small prints, but none were sold inside the US (besides aftermarket of course)

With my playgroup I think it's more the dedication to a theme than anything.

I have a talrand deck that's stuffed full with counterspells, cantrips, and a few decent creatures to polymorph into. My playgroup sees it as oppressive because it's easy for me to take over the table due to consistency and the dedication to my theme.

When other people in my playgroup build decks they always stuff in a pretty big amount of goodstuff. They always put in copy spells, always reanimation, etc.

Blood Moon has significantly less impact in mono-colour. It'll make someone's temple of the false god half as effective and a couple other things.

Honestly, If that's a regular group you should suggest starcitygame's Commander Versus rules. If you're actually that much better than everyone else you will still get targeted more often, but they'll have motivation to attack the other people on occasion. They're also decent at checking how much of an asshole a single player can be and still "win", by the end of the match due to the points system.

I really do not see why Yisan is considered extremely powerful in commander.

I am not saying that he is not good, or that his ability is weak. But he just seems to be a very fragile and easily disrupted.

His ability requires an activation cost, tapping, and several turns of investment until it really goes off.

He is a mono green general with no way of searching up artifacts or enchantments that compliment his ability.

He does nothing upon entering the battlefield and has no way of protecting himself unless he happens to be able to search something up. Once he goes down you essentially have to start over again.

It just seems like a deck that can easily stomp people who don't put basic removal and wraths into their decks or just let him set up without disrupting him.

Anyone have a Thassa list to share?

>I have to run removal in this format?
The bar for powerful in EDH is set very very low.

pic not related
projecting?

Redpill me on 1v1 commander, Veeky Forums? Is it the patrician way to play the game?

1v1 is the best way to play magic since it is literally designed for 1v1 play. However multiplayer can be fun to if you aren't playing with sperglords.

Ghirapur Orrery is pretty sweet since you want to be empty handed to attack and block, but you also need to have atleast part of a grip. Plus you can use hazorat as a burn outlet.

Her being a 5/4 also means she holds a sword pretty well, turning your 5 turn clock into a 3 turn one.

Remove the saving another player point. It just stalls games out.

First Blood is a shitty roulette rule that encourages bad plays.

Remove the casting General 4 times Rule. It encourages players to pick only low cmc generals and gives a disadvantage to decks that want to use their generals as a win condition.

Remove the searching rules. They were purely made because it is recorded show and does not take into account cards that require you to search up multiple cards.

Killing Everyone on the same turn should only be for infinite combos. Killing everyone via combat damage on the same turn when they are all under 10 life should not be a penalty.

>disliking anime
you forgot where you are user

Yisan is consistency, toolbox, and combo packed into one, and he can easily pack stax to slow down opponents. With Wirewood Symbiote, Sylvan Safekeeper and Temur Sabertooth creatures have easy evasion, Symbiote, Scryb Ranger, and Quirion Ranger make for explosive combos, Karametra's Acolyte and Priest of Titania with Umbral Mantle or Staff of Domination gives your elfball/greenball infinite mana, you run Rec Sage, Manglehorn, Caustic Caterpillar, Thought-Knot Seer to help stop your opponents, Thorn of Amethyst, Trinisphere, Root Maze, Sphere of Resistance to slow them down, Sylvan Library, Azusa, Seedborn Muse speed you up...

Yisan needs some setup, that's for sure, he's not capable of T2, T3 wins like Thrasios or Prossh, sure. He's slower, but just as consistent, packs plenty of tricks and grinds out wins as a steady value engine. You say "just wrath him," but a well tuned Yisan with a competent pilot can have a game locked down by T5 at the latest. You'd better be running that new HOD wrath to stop him.

way better in the 99 of pretty much anything else than a commander

1v1 commander is shit

1v1 commander is shitty legacy for autists

>whats is your favorite deck archtype
Tax.dek
>why?
Because I want to play g/W but I also wouldn't mind winning a game or two

>Is it the patrician way to play the game?
It is. Only permavirgins disagree.

If you're winning over 50% of games, and playing a deck that relies on denying other people their fun cards, are you really that surprised that you're getting hated out? Maybe try a different deck for a change.

>use a real VOIP program like mumble
Why does this matter?

>whats is your favorite deck archtype?
BirthingPodCombosAndTutors.dec

>starcitygame's Commander Versus rules
Absolutely cancer

he is calling you fucking retarded for using a newer program that does the same shit as things that have existed for 5ever without being a proprietary pile of horse shit that doesnt support end to end encryption and actively sells your info

he isnt wrong

It's the only way to play on mtgo unless you really want to play a 2 hour edh game by yourself
I mean mtgo is pure shit all together
But I play it a lot both multiplayer and 1v1
Don't be like me, it was an awful idea

Out of all the shitty, cancerous EDH scoring systems, this one is the least awful I've seen posted. Pretty sure would make it fine for home games. Still probably worse than nothing, but a benign sort of cancer.

Finish the deck before you move on

>actively sells your info
Proofs?

Blushing tomboys are the greatest thing ever. Also, 1v1 is better than than multiplayer.

1v1 Commander is OK, but worse than 4-5 Player
If someone says they want to play Duel Commander though, the dedicated 1v1 fork of the format, run away and never look back, it's a black hole of fun that emits only screams of agony and shitposts about vial smasher being powerful as it spaghettifies your soul.

read the EULA

Eh, the great thing is that it's instant speed and hits every grave instead of just yours. I have multiple times used her in response to someone casting Reanimate or similar cards on their target. It's also great with instant speed sac outlets, so you can just untap her on your turn if you have run out of mana for some reason and you have all the time in the world to sac it before the untap delayed trigger resolves, or you can just let the creature get exiled if you got a big creature opponent has.

I also run Preacher in my list and it's magnificent, especially against voltron shitters. Shame that the card was pretty expensive, but at least it's much better than Evangelize.

Felt pretty great about my last game loss as Breya.
Everyone banding together and strategizing over how to to possibly kill me before the upkeep trigger would win me the game thanks to my indestructible thopter army was honestly amazing to watch and now I'm considering getting some Archenemy stuff. Is this what DM'ing is kinda like?

>Diregraf colossus
>prized amalgam
>corpse connoisseur
>ghoulcaller gisa
anything that lets you kill yourself
>screeching skaab
>armored skaab
>laboratory brute
>windfall
>jaces archivist
>forbidden alchemy
I just finished making my own gisa and geralf deck (won a tournemant with it on Friday :3 ) a lot of decklists online don't run a lot of blue control cards, but I feel like it's the worth the spot for a few counterpells I also run as planeswalkers
>jace beleren
>liliana deaths majesty
also don't forget to include pic related

Going to play with my group in an hour any advice or quick replacements?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/the-rakdos-tax-collector/

>playing breya
kill yourself

t.Timmy

deckbox building dumbfuck here

i'm going to start a new box project soon. i'm going to be building a box that houses around 1080 cards, possibly to sell to a friend or perhaps to keep for my self. anyone have an idea what kind of art to put on top?

the art needs to be

>simple and iconic
>elegant
>pretty
>doesn't need to be MTG related
>preferably should look sensible upside down as well

it'll either be stenciled on or copied on with a photo transfer. pic related is a mockup of what i'm going for, although i don't know if the guildpact symbol is what i want to use

honestly how awful is your play group that indestructable is a problem or that no one has enchantment removal?