>the "demons" are actually aliens
>your "magical items" are just super advanced technology

Other urls found in this thread:

terrybisson.com/page6/page6.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass–energy_equivalence
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>The "GM" is really an uncreative hack.

worst/most overused tropes thread?

Giorgio, can you stop doing this shit every time you run a game?

>the "aliens" are from planet Hell where they were banished after defying God

Demons are more alien than actual aliens.

Demons are literally from another plane of existence, while aliens are merely from another planet.

But wait, what happens when an alien dies and becomes a demon?

This actually happens in the Great Wheel cosmology...

Who's this literal semon demon?

>the "aliens" are actually demons
>the "spaceships" are actually advanced sigils

...Go on.

This.
Tfw aliens are actually demons from higher dimensions who soon (within 30 years or so) will stage landing on earth and "first contact" posing as benevolent beings bringing mankind to wider galactic society and offering us boons like technologily. But don't get fooled by them. Its just a trick to bring people away from God and steal their souls.
tfw i know people who actually unironically believe in this

Signs would have been a much better movie if that was the twist.

It was already set up with the religious main character and all the talk about God.

I remember reading a fucking weird scifi book on it by some crazy retarded jewish writer.

In the book, there was some alien conspiracy to destroy Israel - but then it turned out it were demons pretending to be from Mars or some shit to cause the end of times.

I dropped it because fuck that shit, it was too fucking retarded to read.

>the demons and/or aliens' "invasion" is actually just them chimping out after finding that mankind already mortgaged their souls in a series of non-consensual trustee bargains with the primal force of political fashion

Originality is overrated.

Execution is what matters.

nice meemee

Nah.
Invoking Clarke's third law, especially in fantasy-ish settings is one of the most mind-numbing kneejerks ive ever seen.

lovecraft

Nah.
It can work well when it's set up and executed properly, pretty much everything can.

You're just picturing some kind of strawman in your mind where the GM jumps up from his chair and screams "HAHA, IT WAS TECHNOLOGY ALL ALONG!"

In my experience, people who strive for originality above everything else tend to end up with convoluted, idiotic world that aren't at all interesting.

I suspect there's also a bit of the good old Veeky Forums contrariness involved, just like people on Veeky Forums scream that they prefer "straightforward evil" villains instead of "morally gray" villains because those have been prevalent in media recently.

>It can work well when it's set up and executed properly, pretty much everything can.
Yeah. But in the case of this trope, you need to get a bit more creative to not make it cliche.
It's not a bad idea, per se.

>You're just picturing some kind of strawman in your mind where the GM jumps up from his chair and screams "HAHA, IT WAS TECHNOLOGY ALL ALONG!"
Nah, just seen too many people that think going "it's actually super advanced tech" makes them and their setting smart or deep, in fiction and in real life (insert quote about "magic is science we can't explain yet", "just think if we showed a smartphone and a poptard to a medieval peasant, yadayada")

>(insert quote about "magic is science we can't explain yet", "just think if we showed a smartphone and a poptard to a medieval peasant, yadayada")
As I said that's bad execution and no fault of the concepts itself.

But yeah, that shit can get pretty annoying, almost as annoying as "it's magic, I ain't gotta explain shit" and "magic can never have rules or be analyzed."

The lesson here is that extremes are bad, and bad GMs are bad.

In my opinion, it must be internally consistent, above all.

That, I can agree with wholeheartedly.

>Aliens
>Demons

What's the difference?

>Magic
>Advanced Technology

What's the difference?

and not be something i can commonly find on a facebook feed.

No, this isn't important unless you're some kind of hipster or contrarian.

Non-materialism.

Why would aliens and their technology have to be materialistic?

Technically, demons are alien.

Thechnically, you'd be the alien in hell. What's your point?

Yeah, it is.
I don't want "muh super unique world that has never been made before", but i don't want something that i can pinpoint everything in that world with a 90% accuracy rate, from the worldview the author is hinting towards(unless it's campy)

>the "aliens" are just super advanced technology and your "magical items" are actually demons

Because that's how you differentiate another animal from a spirit?

Are you the idiot on Veeky Forums that kept saying that 40k was sci fi?

i wouldn't be surprised if that was sort of the intent

Why do aliens have to be animals?

Why do demons have to be spirits? What is a spirit anyway?

Now that's something more fun.

Well, I really can't agree with you there.

The quality and execution of the world is so much more important to me than it's uniqueness, that uniqueness doesn't even register on the scale for me.

pics of her cock?

>Why do aliens have to be animals?
Well, you could make robotic or mineral aliens, but that's a special category.
>Why do demons have to be spirits?
I think that's what definition involves
>What is a spirit anyway?
We are starting to split hairs now.

>Well, you could make robotic or mineral aliens, but that's a special category.
What about energy aliens? Or other kinds of totally alien aliens?

terrybisson.com/page6/page6.html

>I think that's what definition involves
Only the definition you choose to think about, which isn't the only one there.

>We are starting to split hairs now.
No, this is a genuinely important question in this particular topic, since you want to establish a difference between "spirits" and "not spirits" you first have to define what a spirit is.

Isn't this the lore to Might & Magic?

I think no.
M&M have real magic and high end sc-fi tech at the same time.
Magic is magic and lasers are lasers.
Although devils are aliens from outer space that battled precursor race whatever was it called.

>What about energy aliens?
Energy alien are made from converted matter, see Einstein.
>Or other kinds of totally alien aliens?
Still alien.
>Only the definition you choose to think about, which isn't the only one there.
Yeah, and i could define "capitalism" as "that weird rash on your back", but don't expect me to go to The Economic Forum in Davos with that.
>No, this is a genuinely important question in this particular topic, since you want to establish a difference between "spirits" and "not spirits" you first have to define what a spirit is.
The defining quality of spiritual stuff is not being material.
That's basic.

No.

Might & Magic has actual magic mixed with aliens, called the Kreegan, who come from a different world, but also use magic.

It's been a very long time since I played any of the M&M games so I don't recall if magic came with the Kreegan or was always available as a property of the world. It also may have been that magic was created by the Ancients or the Creators, but I honestly can't remember.

Still, magic in Might & Magic is isn't advanced technology, it's "natural" and can be used in technology or by itself.

>Yeah, and i could define "capitalism" as [...]
Except capitalism is a real thing with practical application, but a demon is pure fiction without a set definition.

>The defining quality of spiritual stuff is not being material.
>That's basic.
That's circular reasoning.

Anyway, energy is not matter, thus it is not material. Unless you have a different definition for "material."

Rip and tear user, rip and tear.

Fuck yes I am down for a Barrier Peaks adventure.

>the spiritual isn't material
>that's stooooopid

>Except capitalism is a real thing with practical application, but a demon is pure fiction without a set definition.
So is a zombie, but if i presented you a harpie and called it a zombie, you'd think im making fun of you.

>Anyway, energy is not matter, thus it is not material.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass–energy_equivalence

>some "demons" are aliens, but some demons are actual demons
>some "magical items" are super advanced technology, but some items are actually magical

>but if i presented you a harpie and called it a zombie
Sure, but a zombie is a more established definition than demon, and there are still a couple of variants you could be talking about. Demons in fiction are much, much more varied, with some of them being physical and living in the forests, some of them are evil spirits, some of them live in hell, where hell could be another physical plane or something else. So yeah, "demons have to be spirits" doesn't really hold ground.

>Mass energy equivalence
I suggest you read your link before posting it. It relates the conversion of mass to energy and vice versa. A good way to look at it is that "mass" and "energy" are two states of the same thing, even if that over simplifies it by quite a bit.

Anyway, what the fuck's your point with that? That spirits don't have mass nor energy? Then what they fuck do they have?

>energy is not matter
what are you talking about?

presentation, mostly

>Sure, but a zombie is a more established definition than demon, and there are still a couple of variants you could be talking about.
And ive yet to meet a culture where demons and unclean spirits are material beings of flesh and blood.

>Demons in fiction are much, much more varied, with some of them being physical and living in the forests, some of them are evil spirits, some of them live in hell, where hell could be another physical plane or something else.
And the response to meeting a demon in those stories is "exorcise them", "trick them", "pray to God", "make a deal with them", etc. not "stab them in the face" or "shoot at them to make them bleed until they die".
They inhabit and haunt places, not become part of the ecosystem.
Even when they interact with mortals, they animate a body for themselves, or posses one, not have one as part of their being.

>A good way to look at it is that "mass" and "energy" are two states of the same thing
Bingo, exactly.

>Then what they fuck do they have?
Pneuma, concentrated evil, corrupted forms of the creative grace of God that birthed them, etc.
Depends on who you are asking.

Also, whatever mental constructs are made of, etc.

>you're actually playing a game designed to involve high tech ayylmaos instead of taking a chainsaw to dnd

show me the boipussy

>whatever mental constructs are made of
memes

>the "demons" are actually aliens
>but magic is still magic

Demons? Not Gods?

It actually was demons, but Shymalan decided to hide it for some reason.

The real twist.

>the "aliens" are actually demons
>your "super science" is actually just spellcraft

>human with horns and wings
>a demon

Get this plebian shit out of here.

>Super advanced technology is actually just magic

Fuck that was disgusting to look at.

What if they are aliens, just using sorcery?

Why use ray guns when you can unleash streams of balefire upon your enemies?

Why not keep your ships aloft by means of sorcerous glyphs?

Clarke's 3rd Law: Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

>human souls were traded in the interplanar stock market as derivative packets. After they were used to cover up the upcoming bankruptcy of the sixth circle of hell and eventually dropped 90% of their price they were all bought up by Goldman Sachs.

Gotchu covered, senpai.

>Clarke's fifth law:
>post made without reading a thread is indistinguishable from baiting

Kind of?

The ancient tech is more magitech than magic being just the ancient tech by another name though. It's more like magic is just part of the reality there and so when the ancients got advanced enough to Sci-fi around the place they were just using magic as components.

Compare that to a universe where magic is because of Nanomachines, Son. In one, magic makes the tech. In the other, the tech makes the magic.

I do like the way 3DO did it though. Way more than I like Ashan's generic fantasyscape (Outside of the Necromancers being interesting, there's nothing really good about Ashan. Nothing bad, but nothing good either.)

You type like a Markov chain bot.

You're not ideally wrong, but come on. You can't really put out a simple "pyramids was aliums" now. It's beating a dead horse.

At the very least, you'd need to reconsider and refluff it.

i haven't forgotten
will post new thread after the biochem exam at 6th