Baroque/Napoleonic fantasy thread

Haven't seen one in a while. Flintlocks and powdered wigs vs. magic and monsters.

Victorian steamshit need not apply.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Powder_Mage_trilogy
brianmcclellan.com/blog/powder-mage-rpg-pre-orders
youtube.com/watch?v=DfkqKJohuTI
youtu.be/rm0C0woUSvI?list=PLYkqZ32qEG8_Lyg7sbZgNP6pw--6wChMR
youtube.com/watch?v=beOgmCxeh7A
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I'm guessing that there would be conflict/interaction between new magic derived from logic and old magic derived from mystical traditions. That could prove interesting.

So basically Issac Newton? He was part of the movement of "rational alchemists" trying to use the scientific method to create homonculi, the philosopher's stone etc.

I am so fucking down for this.

Yeah, as well as the conflict and intermixing of European and foreign magic as they explore different parts of the world.

>"rational alchemists" trying to use the scientific method to create homonculi, the philosopher's stone
>conflict and intermixing of European and foreign magic

...And then the church gets involved. Pic related.

So this but with a tricorn instead of a top hat?

The Church is still furiously denying that their magic is magic. Also, certain Spanish and Sicilian clerics have come up with a potent method of nullifying magical effects which draws much of its power from, you guessed it, physical pain.

Flat tops and collumn hats existed, and were the predicessor of the tophat. As a history nerd, I'd allow it. Pic related.

Now, church sanctioned /miracles/ on the other hand... Totally legit.

>The difference between divine and arcane magic is purely dogma and belief of the practitioner
I like it.

Well, I assume that the clerics still call out to God/saints/angels in order to get their shit done, but that still seems very much like magic to me because witches do the same thing for their spirits.

>777
Divine trips confirms.

>that still seems very much like magic to me
>Comparing the pure sanctity of holy miracles and treaty of angles, with vile spells and summoning of demons

BLASPHEME! Silence, heretic!

>Calvinists and various other Protestants just straight up don't do miracles anymore because it's too similar to pagan magic
>Church of England is 100% ok with almost all of the old rituals

>Jewish kabbalists are mistrusted because they legit can animate golems to fuck your shit up

bump

Since this is the time that professional armies are coming into their own, how will they have changed in the context of a fantasy world? Can armor be enchanted to withstand bullets, thus making cuirassiers much more powerful? Are there units dedicated entirely to bringing down monsters?

Battlemages are almost as important as artillery pieces. Whether they take the form of alchemists, priests, witch doctors, or druids, you need one or your forces will get wrecked by the other army's casters.

Well, assuming a system like D&Dand we're talking Divine vs Arcane magic so that's a high probability, modern Professional armies would actually more resemble those of our actual modern world. While large numbers of boots are needed "on the ground", as they say, most frontline combat is the domain of Wizards, Golems, Summons, and elite special ops teams.

So, adventuring parties. But State-Owned (or at least insured).

>spoiler didn't take
Weird. Oh well, more pics.

16th century cartridge rifle. Very chique, very expensive.

This is what I got for now.

I'm always excited to see more "Flintlock Fantasy" style settings and projects, but outside of something like Iron Kingdoms I never see one really take off the ground. Sad.

>Are there units dedicated entirely to bringing down monsters?
Specialized dragoons would probably fit that role well. Arm them with sabres, pistols, and carbines with silver-plated bayonets. Armor them with enchanted cuirasses. Divide them into squads of 4 to 6, one of whom is always a caster. Give them extensive training in horseback riding, shooting, and close-quarters combat as well as some mid-level instruction in monster lore. Then set them out to chase monsters across the land.

I thought about doing something in this sort of style years ago after Fable 2 came out, all swords and guns and magic ya know.
But my players and I couldn't agree on the scale of PC power or the role of firearms in the setting so the idea never got off the ground
Thought about it again after Bloodborne since it has a similar albeit darker aesthetic but encountered the same sort of problem

Well, what did YOU think was the proper scale of PC power? And what was your Players'?

I'm still down to make a setting like this work.

Not him but I am kf the opinion that players being relstively powerful would work well with the setting. If we're drawing from Baroque themes, dramatic conflicts between powerful figures fits like a glove. Death should still be a very real possibility because of the scale of threats faced, but PCs should feel powerful.

This was also my opinionI wanted the players to be capital H Heroes that were set apart from the populous by their skill and might. I wanted them to go out and fight monsters and villains that where just as if not more powerful than them.
Basically I wanted classical heroes who went out and did things no one else could because they were special, the players wanted a more toned down and lethal setting were the PCs were closer to the rest of humanity
They also wanted firearms to be more powerful and more important? I guess, whereas I wanted them to be just another weapon in the players arsenal instead of their primary

The whole thing fell through because my vision of the campaign and theirs was too far apart and we ended up just playing something else

Sabers sometimes have trouble cutting men in jackets. Why would you bring them against monsters?

I actually find myself drawn into somewhere in the middle. While the PCs should be the Big Damn Heroes of any setting I run, I like their 'specialness' toned down. Heroes are still mortal. That makes them special, the fact that they are important, but still not beyond humanity. A pistol shot to the face will still kill you, even if you've previously survived a kraken, a dozen pirate battles, and falling out of a building that one time.

High lethality, but more fantastical/mythic levels of skill and power.

It's cool and this is an RPG setting where the real world effectiveness of cavalry sabres isn't the be-all-end-all.

What is this?

Upcoming game.

So would this setting have non-Vancian magic?

read powder mage trilogy?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Powder_Mage_trilogy

seems to be a rpg in the making

brianmcclellan.com/blog/powder-mage-rpg-pre-orders

Lamentations of the Flame Princess is good for this if you're into the weird horror genre. Also OSR.

In the case of Bloodborne, remember that they're not using lead bullets. They're using quicksilver bullets and magic to augment their own strength. Hunters are not normal humans.

What are good systems for this, anyway? One obvious one for the grit end of things is WFRP 2e. I know there's some sort of Napoleonic rejigging of Barbarians of Lemuria, too.

I've heard that this is a really shit series where the main character is an incredibly obnoxious mary sue and the worldbuilding is hilariously flat.

>Little Miss Badass: Ka-Poel, A 19 year old girl with the appearance and build of a small 14 year old. In addition to likely being the most powerful mage in the series, a common tactic for her is to jump up on enemies' shoulders and stab foot-long needles into their spine.

lol, dropped

That sounds ridiculous.

It seems would confirm that.

Okay, new question:

Do you like your Flintlock Fantasy to involve Age of Exploration and Golden Age Piracy type naval stuff? Or are you more drawn to the great land wars of the 17th, 18th, and early 19th centuries?

Bump.

>Do you like your Flintlock Fantasy to involve Age of Exploration and Golden Age Piracy type naval stuff? Or are you more drawn to the great land wars of the 17th, 18th, and early 19th centuries?
Age of Exploration definitely.
I like the idea of exploring a strange new land beyond the edges of the map
As a GM it presents the opportunity to add all sorts of strange monsters, hidden tribes, and ancient ruins and artifacts in a functionally endless New World

Plus a high seas adventure presents plenty of opportunity to buckle a few swashes if you know what I mean
youtube.com/watch?v=DfkqKJohuTI
youtu.be/rm0C0woUSvI?list=PLYkqZ32qEG8_Lyg7sbZgNP6pw--6wChMR

youtube.com/watch?v=beOgmCxeh7A

If only the people who wrote TTRPGs weren't noguns who think only muskets existed until WWII

There's a game called Greedfall coming out which is exactly this.

Greedfall's inspiring me to make a campaign in a similar setting.

Nice boots.