D&D style:

D&D style:
>Fireball, Find Traps, Cure Moderate Wounds

English-localized JRPG style:
>Crimson Flare, Delver's Eye, Healing Wind

Exalted style:
>Resplendent Heliacal Conflagration Prana, Foretelling of Future Funerals Methodology, Wholeness-Rejuvenating Chirurgery Meditation

Which is your favorite tone overall for ability names?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YLcGGeBcNeU
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

All of them, with more fanciful names being correlated with more powerful abilities.
Note that a correlation doesn't mean it's 100% true. The occasional simple spell with a pretentious name, or powerful spell with a simple name, is always an option to trip people up.

>Exalted style:

Oh god, wtf is that shit.

Also, D&D style includes stuff like "Mordenkainen's Magnificent Mansion" and "Soul's Treasure Lost", while JRPGs includes stuff like "Fire" and "Cure".

Personally, I prefer simple official names in RPG manuals, because the players can then add their own fluff/spin to the names, but more distinct names in video games like "Demon Fang" or "Rising Phoenix".

We already had that thread a score of months ago, and then a score of month before that. No need to repost it every week.

> Which is your favorite tone overall for ability names?
DESE-2K-20 (Destructive, Energy Sphere, Explosive, 2 kiloJoules, 20 meters burst radius), usually pronounced by the operatives as "death two-kay twenty".

>we already had this thread 2 years ago, and before that 2 years ago too
>no need to repost it every week
What did he mean by this?

Well the Exalted closest thing to fireball is "Flight of the Brilliant Raptor" which conjures up a Pheonix made of pure fire, that flys at your target up to a mile away, and slams into them...then blows, it's self, the target, and 50 of that fuckers closest (physically) friends(or co-workers if they are punch clock villains) strait to their next reincarnation.

Sorcerery, i.e. spells, in exalted tend to have 3-4 word names that tell you something of what they do.

Death of Obsidian Butterflies summons a swarm of butterflies made of razor sharp obsidian that mulch a battalion of infantry than die turning into razor blade caltrops that will cut through most none metallic footwear. May the god of sex shoeless death dealers blessing on anyone unlucky enough to be barefoot near that.

The other thing to consider is in exalted there is Sorcerery (level 4 and higher D&D spells would be the starting point for power level comparison, by which means the fireball analog Briliant Raptor is a 1st level Exalted Sorcery. ) Spells of equivalent levels of 0-2 (3ish) are charms. Natural innate magic that the Exalted can use without really needing to think much about it. Which means that trap sensing magic, it's an awareness (for skill based exalted) or Perception (for attribute) charm. Each different variety of exalted has a different method of detecting it. From Earth Dragon Blooded (Think Chinese Godly Dragons here) who can feel anything touching the earth or stone and thus can feel your trap by the variations in the earth, to solars (chosen of the king of the gods Sol Invictus) who through practice and skill spotted that pressure plate in time, to Lunar (Mood goddess Chosen) who smelled it, or their keen hawk like eyes spotted it, or they just spider sensed danger. Each of these will have their own drawbacks of course and their own names, but all will invoke different images about the heroes who use them.

I really fucking hate anime and japan

It's a good thing you came to an anime imageboard then, isn't it?

Anime imageboard doesn't mean that you have to post trash anime (Which is all anime nowdays).

>Zesteria
>Anime
Does that make Myst a live action film?

I like short descriptive names
>summon X
>heal
>mass heal
>fire bolt
>fire sphere
>arrow
>aimed arrow
>multi arrow
>arrow storm

Let me focus on roleplaying instead of turning my memory into a lookup table for my powers.

English-localized JRPG on 16 bit hardware obviously
>fire1, fire2, fire3, flare, flare star, meteo

Or you know...Writing that shit down somewhere helpful.

This actually reminds me that the raw translations for the Holy Knight and Divine Knight swordskills in Final Fantasy Tactics fall somewhere closer to the Exalted area as far as names go.

>Unmoving Lightless Sword
>Chaotic Life-Severing Killing Strike
>North Star Bone-Crushing Strike
>Peerless Lightning-Flash Thrust
>Holy Light Explosive Break
>Strong Armor-Piercing Point Thrust
>Starry Heaven Bombing Strike
>Hades Terror Scream Strike
>Biting Ice Wolf Break

>Death of Obsidian Butterflies summons a swarm of butterflies made of razor sharp obsidian that mulch a battalion of infantry than die turning into razor blade caltrops

I don't know if this is cool or not. Part of me says yes, part of me thinks Byakuya Kuchiki did it better.

Yes but did he do it as a first level spell?

Alright, but first, let's put an end to the:
D&D Hate threads
3.PF Sucks threads
Numenera shitposting threads
Vampyre/Magick Velma shitposting threads
The bring back Quests threads
The Nazi shitposting threads
The anti-/generals/ threads
And the bile-filled Meta discussion threads

This is why getting rid of generals is stupid. At least the official generals have a logical purpose... these repeating threads would still stay behind and be more prominent than ever.

I go for the more elaborate names every tiem, since my group leans towards Vancan weirdness.

Why even play a wizard if you're casting manaball level two instead of Iridium Parallelogram of Dimensional Turbulence?

>Localized Supercritical Oxidation Reaction
>3D Sonar-based Deep Architectural Analysis
>Applied Medicinal Field Surgery

> Which is your favorite tone overall for ability names?
I just use the current tracklist for picking the names of my spells.

I like anime or exalted tier ONLY if the character is shouting out the name of the move like in one of my shonen animes.

Sun Sign「Royal Flare」
「Super Scope 3D」
Everlasting「Phoenix Tail」

>Thermal Overload, Environmental Threat Analysis Overlay, Accelerated Regeneration Matrix
Half-accurate technobabble is my shit.

>globus igneus, cerno absconditum insidiis, curo moderatus vulnas

i have no idea if i got my latin right its been a while

but latin themed spells are the best

Simple because the more random adjectives and shit that a spell has, the less useful it becomes to use in a variety of settings. You can change the way you use 'Fireball' to suit almost every setting. How flexible can you be with Hellish Flame Born in Causticness?

I'm fond of the D&D style. Wouldn't mind if some higher-level stuff went a little more flowery, especially using plain-spoken adjectives. Grand Fireball is a perfectly acceptable name for a spell.

I also have a soft spot for really janky translations in old JRPGs. Stuff like Rub, Merton, Drowsy, Stronger, Zap!, XXXX, and Nuke.

Sauce?

DnD style.
Players are free to rename spells, so your wizard can say 'Yellow flames of Yal'Odr' instead of fireball.

There is a ToZ anime.

I prefer top-tier JRPG style:
>Maragidyne, Diarama, Rakunda

D&D. Purple prose serves no other purpose than to bloat the manual, possibly to help pad out text so the rules can span multiple volumes to sell more books.

I like simple names in the book, Exalted level crazy in the lore.

Fire I, Fire II, Firaga
Cure I, Cure II, Curaga

So a Pokemon naming scheme for spells?

In exalted I believe you actually get bonuses and mana back for acting like a flashy jackass, so rather than saying, "I use Hungry Tiger Technique and stab him," you can instead say, "I draw upon my essence and harmonise with my shining blade. After a split-second's focus in the heat of battle, I strike forward in a lightning-fast thrust while declaring my use of Hungry Tiger Technique!"

This nets you an extra die or two to roll (in a system where you roll Xd10 and every one above a 7 counts as a success) and also recovers enough magical power to make the cost of the technique either free, or to give you a net GAIN. Particularly impressive 'stunts' will once a session grant you bonus exp too.

youtube.com/watch?v=YLcGGeBcNeU

That is one thing I always liked about SMT's magic. You can easily tell what a spell is by breaking it down.

>Maragidyne
>Ma - Hits all targets
>Agi - Fire
>Dyne - Level 3 magic

>Diarama
>Dia - Healing
>Rama - Level 2

While its effectively the same as FF's system -- -- it comes off sounding better. It also leaves room for the more serious/higher level spells. Ragnarok is just level 4 fire damage.

Stunting is a great mechanic. More RPGs could use an "encourage doing cool shit" rule.

Its just a way to make it more anime. Its not really cool in any sense of the word.

Shame about the localization though.

It's just not very useful for spells with discrete, non-scaling effects.

You mean the OP song? It's the standard for all Tales so they don't have to pay the artist/singer twice.

Not all cool things are anime, weeb.

Greyhawk style.

No, I mean the entire game. Standard Bamco "quality"

I like fancy anime/JRPGish names.

What I dislike is idiotic large incantations.(Not the fact they have to make a large incantation, I mean the incantations itself, that make no sense)

Because you've never described your actions in a game. Nuh-uh. Never. You've just stated purely mechanically what you're doing.

And it's just not possible for you to pull stunts in anything remotely western and therefore good! I mean do you see great western stars like Errol Flynn doing stupid stuff like swinging from chandeliers or overly-elaborate swordplay? of COURSE not!

/sarcasm

I really like the FF-series naming convention for spells.
Fire, Fira, Firaga; Blizzard, Blizzara, Blizzaga; Cure, Cura, Curaga; etc.

Anything but Exalted.

I fucking hate Cure Light Wounds, it's so boring.

Seems reasonable. You can get away with overly dramatic names when you're actually demonstrating the weeaboo sword-flinging, but if you just say "I use Federation of Unstoked Embers" and then rattle off what it does to your numbers, it's hard to figure out what actually happened.