/CofD/ & /wodg/ Chronicles of Darkness and World of Darkness General

Previous thread: >Pastebin:
pastebin.com/7HiVphFm

>News
theonyxpath.com/release-roundup-may-2017-plus-new-nook-store/
paradoxinteractive.com/en/white-wolf-partners-with-focus-home-interactive-for-a-video-game-adaptation-of-the-world-of-darkness-storyteller-game-werewolf-the-apocalypse/

This week's Monday Meeting Notes:
theonyxpath.com/memorial-day-nonnotes-monday-meeting-notes/

>5th editons cliffnotes
pastebin.com/cp0r59da

>Question:
What was an ultimate goal for your character that was actually achieved at some point in the chronicle you played?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=vgmiBjJFOSA
youtube.com/watch?v=bOtMizMQ6oM
youtube.com/watch?v=l2PoSljk8cE
youtube.com/watch?v=T9MuEA2eF8c
youtube.com/watch?v=Plcogp1zxao
youtube.com/watch?v=YGV6bCTMM5w
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Alternate Question : Beyond the obvious, how would you fix Beast?

The obvious being not pandering to Tumblrites 24/7/365, making the Hero/Beast dichotomy morally grey, and having the rules re-written by someone who actually understands how to make good mechanics in CofD

Personally, I would make the Insatiables the primary antagonists. I'd use Jacob from OPP's "Beast Sagacious" as an optional win-state.

When it comes to Beasts and Heroes, the players should be asking themselves "Who's the wolf and who's the shepherd?" on a regular basis.

Using Mind, Life, and Dimensional Science, my Progenitor managed to create an Anti-Caul that would reverse a Nephandi's quantum psychic state.

Granted, it had some side effects (Loss of Qlippothic Spheres, took a while to work even if the subject volunteered) But Project: Invictus now has a powerful new tool in it's battle to save the Union.

As I said last thread, I'm altering Wisdom to make it something that you only lose for abusing magic. (this includes stuff like human sacrifice and preventing an awakening)

However, traumatic occurrences and terrible acts can still cause a mage to gain conditions. While a mage is the master of their own soul, their psyche is somewhat less inviolate.

Not sure how I'll model that. Perhaps their Wisdom is a bulwark against such conditions, making people with high wisdom capable of being both serene and terrible.

For Beast I agree with all your points. Mechanically I'd make it more like Demon with some WW elements thrown in, activating your Atavisms / Horror should be more like Going Loud / Gauru Form then some mostly boring minor abilities.
Granted they need a Gift / Embeds equiv but if I'm manifesting a Dragons soul to wreck shit I want it to be more impressive then a few points of damage.

I'd add a "true form" like the DtD demon form, with a form of pseudo-lunacy in bystanders.
The lessons should be just the pov of a sect of Beasts (like the LeS of Requiem).

More leaked gameplay footage from the upcoming CoD vidya
youtube.com/watch?v=vgmiBjJFOSA

Drop fammily dinner and crossover mechanics. Maybe use Wraith the Oblivion idea and give hero and beast wraith-his specter dynamic?

I'd change the origin of Insatiables, they'd be created the same was as Begotten only the reawakening of their primordial souls or whathavayou broke them. I'd bring back the first draft version of Beasts too, where you were always a cosmic horror not some angsty teen that's given superpowers by your 2kewl new family.

>>TODAY’S REASON TO CELEBRATE: Not so much “celebrate”, but certainly we commemorate today all of those who gave their lives in service to their countries.

Why does Rich want to commemorate ISIS or Nazi soldiers? This is fucked up.

lets see, vampire, vampire, Promethean, vampire and changeling?

I like how the solutions to making Beast better are "Make it Demon".

Also, , fuck you, Lairs are great.

Demon was the best original idea OPP had by far.

It's an old ideal but once upon a time we acknowledged the courage of those who fought and died for what they believe in, even if they were our enemies.

I can acknowledge the SS for example where an elite fighting force without screaming WHITE POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!! at the top of my lungs.

But this is fucked up.

Don't dehumanize your enemy. He isn't an 'other', he is a person with which we disagree and generally brought violence to us first.

So on the topic of Demon and how good it is, anyone got more fiction recommendations that fit the theme of it? The stuff in the books is good but I've seen most of it already.

We are talking about DtD right? Two things that come to my mind are Man from UNCLE with is a great spy movie and Blindsight sf book by Peter Wats. It asks a lot of questions about sentience, intelligence and identity but it is also quite bleak

This kind of talk is fucked up talk for people who don't know right from wrong. Onyx Path is glorifying evil, that's what it is. I think I'm done with their games.

ISIS is not a country tho

I feel like this is the same user that got mad triggered at the Uber thread the other day.

What happened in the uber thread?

Some user was sperging out about how terrible it is for a comic to depict Nazis because Nazis are bad.

kek

Mister I see you and rise you Seers of the Throne
youtube.com/watch?v=bOtMizMQ6oM

I see that and raise you this
youtube.com/watch?v=l2PoSljk8cE

Splendid
youtube.com/watch?v=T9MuEA2eF8c

some needs to just totaly derail their serious campaigne by pulling something like htis

Well Rich is also commemorating the fucks who crashed the plane on 9/11 for their country. Lost anyone then? Not comfortable at all.

You know, your life would be so much better if you weren't always looking for ways to be ass ravaged.

He has to be trolling. We wouldn't survive being this close to body of such density

Is it just me, or was last thread somehow unusual? I can't really explain it.

Well if someone in playgroup can pull of Christopher Lee-like voice then his group probably doesn't deserve him

I have a question about the books. If I am running just a Hunter: The Vigil game, am I supposed to use the base world of darkness book as well (and by extension the God Machine update) when having my players create characters for the campaign? The god machine update makes it seem way to easy to get OP at the beginning of my campaign.

What options do you think are OP?

A bunch of people were saying random shit and us Ascension fags decided refight the Ascension war.

The last song you'll ever need for the Giovanni and the seers.

youtube.com/watch?v=Plcogp1zxao

Not exactly OP but the extreme reduced cost of merits and skills causes my players to go retard broken like *that*
My question is, do I run out of the book H:TV explicitly?

It was us bitching and moaning about an aspect of oWoD. Seems par for the course.

I was thinking more that as a bunch of hunters you have this whole plot arc that the vampires and planning something with all the other major supernatural movers and shakers and gathering all this weird exotic stuff, and they hunter go to all this effort to get invites to the event only for it to be a really kick ass party.

Well HtV is 1ed so I guess you should probably skip 2ed material and wait for hunter core to get updated. This would help you avoid weird mixups in mechanics

So I would run the character mechanics such as Merits, Skills, Attributes and compacts and conspiracies from HTV 1e only? No bringing in base WoD or God Machine Chronicle?

But we could use some Void Engineers with delicious cheese
youtube.com/watch?v=YGV6bCTMM5w

No no. Nwod core for 1ed is your firend as well as other 1ed supplements like Inferno. God Machine Chronicle I would skip for now since its 2ed update

Got it! Thanks buddy!

>Foolish mortals! For crashing this party you have earned enimity of both kindred and awakened! You will now watch us eat this cake! That we will not share!

If you take a look at megabin in ops post everything in Hunter the Vigil and World of Darkness directories is 1ed as far as I know

It's not working for me right now. I have all of the books, just at my house. At library right now, not sure if school wifi is blocking using it.

except that had gotten invites so it be more like
>nice hunter costumes guys, have some cake and bach is Djing

Never mind its working. Is tooth and nail in it? Want to look at the new Compacts and Conspiracies.

What if I want to use a 1e bloodline for 2e? Will we receive an update at some point?

>I particularly enjoy that leather trenchcoat and katana. Sunglasses at night...classy

One more book you could use is Wicked Dead from VtR line as it gives you some additional bestiary that should be within range of 1ed hunters

Thus far only 2ed bloodlines are Neglatu, Khaibit and Kerberos and I haven't seen any info about possible update. Thou there are always homeupdates on OPP forums

Good Idea. My idea is to do a midwestern snowtown in the 80's riddled with Vampires blending into society. I want my players to be aware of the supernatural and dealing with it cold war style rooting out evil and deal with consequences of the world around them. Fargo meets Salems Lot if you will.

That sounds like a nice set up. Thou small town in the middle of nowhere can probably support one or two vampires tops and they would guard their "domain" fiercely

Well I want a plot similar to Salems Lot involving supernatural creatures slowly overtaking an area. Is there another species that would make more sense or should I give up the Salems Lot Angle?

People assume that humans would be giving into their inhibitions (thanks to the dark magic); rampant violence, sex, drugs (how did those get there?).

Hosts from werewolf the forsaken are something you can take a look at.

From vampire angle I propose.
>Elder/ancilae traveling around midwest since 1st wave of the settlers. Staying for few years in each town and leaving before people start asking questions. Players could piece together his identity by reading old newspapers and documents

>Draugr(0 humanity vampire) racking up body count in nearby wilderness. This of course are pined on bears or wolfs but some bodies dissapear. Could be that he is creating his own pack of larvae(vampire-zombies with pack hunter mentality)

Every little town on the fringes of society needs a crazy cat lady.

A crazy cat lady that also happens to be a mage.

Promethean maybe?

I'm thinking of preventing my Mage players from getting 4-5 dot Practices in order to accumulate a more balanced play in my crossover game.

Is this wrong or am I doing something good?

A Promethean would make for an interesting drifter.

Never staying for too long, yadda yadda.

Depends, which other splats are you allowing?

If its a game with Demons or Mummies in it, you're wasting your time.

If you're running a Mage/Vampire/Werewolf game, its mostly a token gesture, but there's nothing wrong with it.

That works but also one could make ulgan witch living in the dark forest outside of town(forest is super creepy due to disquiet seeping in over time)

>preventing mages from being the superior species

You wretch

Can you guys post WoD related headers to put in my play by post RP?

So the vampires are organizing the party werewolfs are prob bouncing mages send out invited what is everyone elses jobs

Demon alters his form to become one-demon jazz big band.

Beasts and prometheans not invited

Promethean can stand in the smokers zone and still gets the cake. Beast thou I agree

How are the V20 books?

You can ruin peoples day w/ 2 dot practices.

A daily reminder that MiBfags always talk as if soley attributing the invention of public schooling, office supplies and toilet paper to the technocrats.

Mages also supply the narcotics, silly.

Are you still buttmad from last thread?

Mages won't stop over everything if you properly do your job as an ST.

I heard that the second edition of C:tL received mixed reactions.
What are the problems?

Traditions like the Verbena want to knock us back to the Stone Ages and the Order of Hermes are vying to take over the world and rule over the muggles with an iron fist. Seeing that their fellow wizards were grinding the common people under heel, the Daedalans of the Order of Reason formed out of the Awakened mages who weren't total asshats, and, on behalf of God and the greater good, they began to create a new form of magic that anyone could use. It was a roaring success, and it quickly became so popular, yet they're somehow 'the baddies'?

>Traditions: "Hurr-durr! Boring urban developments and soulless industrial complexes!!"
It's just a plot to deindustralize the West as a means of transferring wealth to the third world, as part of the great equalization that will result in a borderless, raceless world.

Red pill me on the Traditions. How are they a better alternative for sleepers than the Technocratic paradigm? Why wouldn't a reformed Union be the best option for sleepers?

>They began to create a new form of magic that anyone could use

This is the case for all Paradigms, the Union just took it to another level in production. A normie could still use a flying carpet in a wizard dominated world.

A sleeper can't build a flying carpet like they can a plane.

That's what I mean by production. The Technocratic Paradigm is easily accessible and replicated.

The Order of Reason's original innovation was the discovery of a few principles. The first was the mass-production of a form of sorcery that could be used by anyone, vastly improving the quality of life. The second was the outright banishment from the world of most of the horrors they could find. The third was the rendering of the world rational, comprehensible, and predictable. And the last, was they were the first to apply [though not necessarily discover] the ideas of Consensual Reality on a mass scale.

This allowed them to create a world that was all around better for the average Sleeper then anything the Traditions had done up until that point. However, they became corrupted. The modern Technocracy is a cloistered society centered around ancient old men obsessed with the minutiae of cosmic lore whose primary goal is controlling the Sleepers. In short, they've become the Order of Hermes at its worst, and they are totally blind to it.

Not only that, but their paradigm's insistence on One Truth One World One Reality, if followed through to its logical conclusion, demands that all people believe the same things on everything. There will be no room for other paradigms or even other opinions in the Technocratic end-game, the universe itself could sputter to a stop as a result of rampant fossilization.

If humanity is to survive, the Technocracy MUST be stopped, or it must be reformed. Either is an option that could be taken. The problem with a Tradition victory is that there really is no "Tradition" victory. If the Technocracy falls the Council of Nine may shatter completely as the individual factions try and enforce their paradigm in the wake of collapse. Billions could die as industrial farming just stops working when the masses stop believing in it.

[cont]

In order for a true Council victory to emerge, the Traditions would have to stick together and, in the wake of Technocratic defeat, present a semi-unified pan-magical paradigm to the world that still incorporates enough resources to guarantee human survival.

Of course this is only if you're not willing to get your hands dirty. You could go full Gilgamesh and just kill off most of Mankind, send us reeling back to the Mythic Age [with gusto] and then pick up the pieces after. The Sleepers are not the most important part of reality.

I don't get how people think technology has to be erased for the Trads to win. Except maybe the Verbena.

Wait a minute. If the world is ruled by a magical paradigm, depending on what that entailed specifically, then people could build them. Much like how aeroplanes would not have worked in the Dark Ages.

Long ago with the power of True Faith, this would have worked!

In Order to Prevent a Dog from Barking: Say three times, watching the dog, and lifting your hat straightforwardly:

"The Barbarian Arc, the heart is split and the tail is hung, the key of St. Peter doses your throat until tomorrow."

Compare Egyptian Secrets. Speak the following: Thus did it happen, on a Friday it was, when our Lord God rode over a field of grass, he carried neither money nor purse with him; for he owned naught but his five holy wounds. May God protect us against wolves, dog; and hounds, he gave to St. Peter the keys for the locks, wherewith to dose the jaws of wolves and of dog. In the name of †††

Hermetics and Verbena are filthy hippies, that's why.

Technology isn't real. It is merely the application of principles of the Technocratic Consensus. The only reason things like electricity and alternating current and wi-fi exists is because the universe we live in runs on those principles.

IF their is a paradigm shift, and people's views turn away from those principles, the technology that runs on them will also cease to exist. We'll have to invent new technology that runs on the new principles of the new dominating paradigm.

In the meanwhile, billions could starve. Humanity suddenly deciding the Platonic Forms , Angels, and Ether are real instead of evolution and antibiotics doesn't just change a few things, it uproots the carefully controlled foundation of mortal tech, that rests on the enforced technocratic paradigm.

Of course the presence of the Etherites on the Council means that if a unified Council existed post-Technocracy, science and tech of some form would be incorporated into the new paradigm, and the Hermetics may even be convinced to begin mass-schooling sleepers in linear magic, but the question is in that transition period, just how many people are going to die for that world?

That was true in the Mythic Age. Good luck charms, prayers to ward off evil, and basic alchemy all worked for Sleepers.

The problem was this concept was never really industrialized and mass produced until the Order of Reason came along.

The new Mythic Age would surely have its OWN forms of mass produced sorcery and consistent applications of Consensual Reality. The discoveries of the Technocracy and the principles they used to rise to prominence WILL still exist in the year 2500 AD and WILL be used by whatever paradigm is in charge then, mystick, scientific, or both.

>What Hermetics actually want.

>There are people who actually believe in WiFi when this shit was clearly not arround untill the late 90s.
Shiggy Diggy Doo, I Seriously Hope You Guys Don't Do This.

You do know that the hermetics have a technomantic house, right?

...oh, wait. You're that guy who projects his real world beliefs onto an RPG about wizards.

When the Technocrats try to explain their so-called electromagnetism interaction nonsense in terms of 'photon exchange', what they are really doing is making more vicious lies to strengthen the hold of their consensus. And the worst part is how easily they can redraft it! They can even rewrite history!

So people can't just believe both are true? Clearly, they "know" these things work and won't stop believing them just because wizards are now a thing.

I wasn't posting that time.

The masses believe in a paradigm that is contrary to every other mystick paradigm. They would need to believe in a new paradigm that incorporated elements from both.

Hermetics aren't hippies. They approach magick in a scientific manner.

No, they approach it in a quasi-rational manner. There is a difference.

House Thig doesn't use Science, it uses the Platonic Forms of technology to create magitek. Again, there is a difference.

They aren't hippies, but they aren't scientists either. They are willworkers, and their knowledge is as much about rational apprehension and intuition as it is about empirical observation.

People accept contradictions every day, especially people who beilieve in magic IRL

People would have different ways of coping, but people have ways of dealing with it nonetheless. I for one would, in all honesty, turn into a gibbering, hapless wreck.

>Hermetics aren't hippies.
As the resident T.A. (TechnoAsshat), I'm obliged to have to agree with you there. The guy saying so is being uncharitably disingenuous.

>They would need to believe in a new paradigm that incorporated elements from both.
Introduce them into occult traditions that actually work, ala, the minor magics; rites, rituals, spells and talismans, often of folk traditions that still work. They work because those magics ARE reality. Those folk traditions and practices have historical inertia that consensus has not been able to quite stamp out. They are as much a part of reality as the Other Realms and the monsters threatening to wreck havoc on our world.

The universe however does not.

Science represents all. The Hermetics approach it in a scientific manner in contrast to the Union's own personal sciences.

If it exists, it is a science.

No, it doesn't. Science is not a generic word for "Things that are true", it refers to a specific methodology for learning about the world through the process of empiricism and experiment.

If a Hermetic intuits a cosmic truth through sacred rite, he is being RATIONAL, assuming the truth in question is self-consistent and true, but he is being rational in a mathematical, not a scientific fashion.

Which isn't to say the Hermetics don't practice some sciences, astrology, alchemy, etc are all at least partially scientific, but many of their Arts are not so.