WIP - Work In Progress General

Primaris Marines are XBOCKSHUEG! Edition!

>Citadel Painting Guides:
mediafire.com/folder/drb4mezm6792i/not_citadel_nothing_to_see_here

>Figure painter magazine issues 1-36
mega.nz/#F!0AIGDAxL!xOT6MK3oiGpBB1pQaNy5lg

>Paint range compatibility chart across manufacturers
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart

>Painting Videos only
mega.nz/#F!fkcliY4L!mhdmIs2lT3mFG3VwoLO8Qw
mega.nz/#F!XEJSFDCL!9ZZKiLi6M_wguI1uTpyjPg
mega.co.nz/#F!WUsUlSLb!556OumKLhusFd9Fw5dBMdA

>DIY Lightbox
youtube.com/watch?v=OyxzC5kqbyw

>DIY Spraybooth
starshipmodeler.com/tech/pa_booth.htm

>DIY Wet Palette
youtube.com/watch?v=96mjmqWTPfM

>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Stripping Paint (yes, the ellipses are part of the URL!)
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>Priming With Acrylic Gesso
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Priming_With_Acrylic_Gesso

>Green Stuff Casting
fromthewarp.blogspot.com/2011/11/molding-and-casting-shoulderpads.html
masteroftheforge.com/2012/05/21/rubber-molds-green-stuff/
masteroftheforge.com/2012/07/17/green-stuff-cast-shoulder-pad/

>On the consequences of insufficient ventilation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

>In the face of death, I shall have no remorse.
youtube.com/watch?v=N_ZgyNoHtjw

>Previous Threads:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YqApHA3L2Cc&list=PLEaPE4sLDA7ucJ0dkiVZSW6ghZUNGFHIW&index=6
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Truly the end of an era. We won't see squat marines on the tabletop in 2-3 years max, screencap this

>manlet marines were somewhat realistic beside valhallans, valhallans were small and thinner than them
>Xbox huge marines make them look like fucking children
Haha! Russian child soldiers go go go!

if that's true then it speaks very poorly of the 40k community as a whole. but sadly it might be right.

if you don't give a shit about your collection of miniatures, the culmination of your personal artistic expression, effort and time, then why do you play a miniature wargame instead of a video game? if the models don't matter and you don't give a fuck and will just ditch your shit for the new stuff (instead of just adding on things, like a sensible company would make possible) then what's the fucking point?

to me that says "40k is filled with half-assed 'hobbyists' who don't give a shit and just want to WAAC", which is pretty lame. don't get me wrong, there's nothing inherently bad about being a WAAC player, but if the entire game is WAAC players then that probably means the game is full of shitty unpainted armies and fluff raping manchildren who create an environment unappealing to non-retards. therefore it's a hobby full of retards and spergs.

Don't believe it. GW loves their Space Marines, and it's going to take more than 3 years for people to stop playing with the originals, if they ever do. They're going to try to push for everyone to change, but not enough will.

So much for that Custodes are shorter nonsense, because even without the helmet I can clearly see that he's slightly taller.

>even without the helmet I can clearly see that he's slightly taller.

He's actually not.
His stance is narrower, giving him height, and his base is actually higher as well.
Flat ground, same stance and the Primaris are a bit taller.

Here are some minis that I have. I can show & tell in a WIP thread, can't I?

This was my best shot at a Palanquin of Nurgle. I put matte varnish on it, but it was still shiny, so I put more on, and then it was a different kind of shiny... So Army Painter matte varnish failed me, after proving so useful up until then. Oh well. At least it's Nurgle

Also, GW removed the rules for Palanquin Heralds. Fortunately, I can just play this as an Epidemius without the tally, or as an Epidemius stand-in. Shame I have to house rules it, though.

Here's a shot of the rest of the gang that I have set up in the volunteer showcase at Warhammer.

Part of me thinks that the bases are too bright. Should I darken them?

It's actually a great idea.

/WIP/ hates work in progress. The only way not to have people scream at you to drown yourself in liquid greenstuff is to post finished models.

which looks better?
I'm finagling around, trying to come up with a Color scheme I like for the release for Nurgle soon, but I'm not sure about any of them.

Bit bland more than anything, maybe something to break up the flat grey? some rocks, etc

What a fucking horrendous model. It may be the worst sculpt from GW in a couple years. Right is better. Rust it up though, DG are often painted too clean.

If you darken them (and to be honest I'd just go either a Nuln or Agrax wash) you'll need some contrast, maybe some flagstones? If you could do near pristine marble that would be a nice contrast.

Can do. If you check out that Palanquin, you can see the level of basework I'm-Oh! You know what? You should see the actual WIPs that I've shelved. Hell, I actually have a lot of WIPs, I just never think about them. Hang on...

It looks like theres a baby in that armour. Also the left one is better.

The second one but with the cloth purple instead of yellow?

I personally like the left one better, the scheme seems more cohesive on that one.

Looking good. I think the bases are just too on the bluer side of grey, rather than being too bright. If you bring them more into the red/brown side with a wash or glaze I think it would be enough.

Pic is mine, I use red, brown and blue in the base.

So I actually own two Greater Daemons, one is Nurgle the other is Tzeentch, and I've gotten more creative with bases as time's gone by, with the GUO there wasn't much room so I just had to make it look like he was sitting on a pile of half-buried debris

Does the GW white spray paint have a regular paint equivalent? I cant see to find a color of white that matches it to touch up mistakes

He's a wide load, so I can really only show you a quarter of the base in any detail. The front's a bit sparse by comparison because there's less room, it's mostly just rocks.

Digging it all the same though, always love a solid ash/debris-type base

This one I'm really proud of. I took the tank trap from that one misc. scenery bag that GW sells, and combined with with a Nurgling I had lying around, and the Brimstone Horrors that came with the LoC...

The other side just has a piece from the old 40k basing kit with this little micro conversion of mine. the spare helmet from the Cadian box on a skull from the new 40k Hero bases.

I should really put some of the basing material on that tank trap. I want it to look like it's been that way for a while.

I like the one on the right, but I would make the armor far more rusted and stained. I love the original Death Guard colors, and so I love plague marine color schemes that recall that, and white/silver armor does that.

Seconded, this model blows.

Nice church. Looks good.

The stick is meh. Head and hand magic thing look terrible. Rest looks ok but not great.

Take a photo again as the mkIII marine only looks half a head taller than the Mordian

The magic I can at least tell what they were going for, but the staff looks so out of place. Cut the flys off and it looks like a wood elf bit!

About to start painting some old Chaos Terminators. I want to go for a porcelain/ceramic armor with evil black oil oozing out (pic related).

I'm dead set on priming black. How do go about getting the white armor? I know I'll need to do multiple layers, but should it be white then white then white, or grey then light grey then white?

Any recommendations (no GW please) for white and/or grey paints? Also looking for some good cold less blingy looking silver.

New to painting:
Which shade goes best for Mephiston red and Balthesar Gold armour, Nuln oil or Agrax Earthshade?

If it has to be one of those two, then Earthshade

tons more to go :< and time is running

>I would make the armor far more rusted and stained
how would I best do that?
I've tried before with it, but it never really ends up well

Over black, I'd do a grey then white, or, you know, just White x 10...

>How do go about getting the white armor
do two-three very thin layers of celestra gre-
>no GW please
oh. well.
guess you won't need my help.

>Primaris Marines are XBOCKSHUEG! Edition!

We really should have seen it coming the instant they gave marines bigger bases. No way in hell GW would ever resist letting the mini grow until it just barely fit the base.

>Mordian

IF HE SHOOTS YA

IT'S GONNA HURT

Primaris Marines fit on the bases well though.
They're taller than Marines, but not much broader.

Please help me.

no, just add thin layers of medium-light grey (celestra from GW), shade the darker parts where shade usually gathers up, then take a one or two steps lighter grey and paint a thin layer ontop of it, perhaps several if you need the effect you want.
Highlight with pure white

Prime Black
Vallejo Game Color Heavy Blue Grey (#72144)
Vallejo Model Color Deck Tan (this is more of a warm light grey than a tan) (#70986)
Vallejo Game Color Off White (#72101) or Rotten White (#72130)
Highlights with Vallejo Game Color Skull White (#72001)

Now I've not tried this IRL, just looking at colors and estimating.

Our lord and savior, Duncan, to the rescue!
Base, wash, highlight, grime dabbing, chipped metal/rust dabbing.
The attached .pdf has the suggested Death Guard pre-heresy color scheme paints, so just fit those in in place of the yellows in Dunc's video.

youtube.com/watch?v=YqApHA3L2Cc&list=PLEaPE4sLDA7ucJ0dkiVZSW6ghZUNGFHIW&index=6

>I'm dead set on priming black.
Why?

Any anons around Cincinnati, OH with an interest in Guard or Genestealer cultists? I've got a few boxes of shit, almost all still on sprue, that I cannot muster the will to fuck with especially after 8th ed.

Are those awful hoverskate things on the feet seperate sprues?

Bad experiences in the distant past when priming white.

You're not me.

>Bad experiences in the distant past when priming white.

Try priming grey.

Painted me some Kalabites

Mold line cleanup currently in progress on this Archon.

Painted some Bloodbowl Orcs and some IH today. What'd YOU get up to user?

Love it. Is that just a combination of washes and glazes over a white primer?

Posted this in 40k general too.

I'm looking to make a counts-as lysander because I'm not too fond of his current model + have a cataphractii termie laying around.

I figured I could pick up a storm shield set from FW, but are there any places that sell 'good' thunder hammers for termies? I want something kind of fancy that isn't just carving the actual fist of dorn off my existing Lysander.

any suggestions?

primed, drybrushed and washed tanks. Currently looking for references and guides for which units served on the German side in Normandy and their armour camo.

Scale is fucked.

I don't get it. What don't you like about the miniature?

I'm getting back into 40k after having quit since the beginning of 5th edition and I'm gonna be going hard on the Primaris Hype-train and making a Primaris Chapter.

Now I'm rediscovering the problems of having to choose a colour scheme all over again. Any suggestions? I'm kinda digging a blue/blue-grey heavy scheme. I used to play Ultramarines (yes, I know, but Blue+Gold is dope) and I'd like to keep near the same colours. This is a quick mock-up of an option. I like the idea of having a gold torso + thigh.

What y'all think?

Primaris rules are crap, tho

Are you on Mars?

Nope.

What about something like this?

The yellow just seems too minor of a color for me in the original.

aren't Archons pretty high-level deldar? because that looks like a sergeant, at best.

Maybe try grey primer? There it wouldnt be too hard to go for black or white.

You know what? I kinda like the idea of the hands being gold, but I'd keep the feet blue.

After looking at the models in person, I can say that the torso is actually quite large in proportion (realistically, for once) and the gold would be nearly 50/50 in ratio if the backpack was blue.

Cool, just throwing out ideas. I haven't seen the models in person yet.

Any thoughts on my scheme?

I know quartered is going to be a pain to paint. But I am not worried about that factor, this is going to be a real small project. Like 5-8 models probably

I posted a thread or two ago about my disappointing first attempt at painting plate armour (the two regular sized models).

I tried to so a second time on my Gregor Clegane model, trying to keep my paint fairly thin, and also starting with a dark basecoat of Leadbelcher + black paint. I then used Leadbelcher + Ironbreaker as the layer. This means I can use runefang steel or stromhost silver as highlights and will have a decent amount of contrast.

Let me know what you think so far. I still have issues with primer clumpiness and my paint constantly drying up as I paint, very persnickety stuff.

You got Emperor's Children in my White Scars!

You got White Scars in my Emperor's Children!

Any thoughts on my nid scheme? Still got abit of cleanup to do, but this is what I've got so far

Trying out some colours for some chaos. Gems in his chest seems to have gotten damaged at some point, dang.

use that gem damage to turn it into an opal instead.

forgot to mention, cartoon tank is by meng model, other one is "scrap tank" by another company

anyone have suggestion for what would make good bases for this color scheme?

I had an idea to make proper lightsaber blades. Basically I'd a transparent acrylic tube, drill it out, and drain some super thinned white paint into the hole. If my thinking is right, capillary action should draw in the paint and properly opaqe the inside after a couple of coats. Sound legit?

Try it on a necron rod and show us the results.

Doing some Primaris as RG birdboys.

So far so good user, I'm digging the subtle edge highlights.
8/10 from me, try to be more careful when highlighting the backpacks, I can see some uneven lines on them, as well as on the sergeant's left shoulderpad, but other than that, great job.

Could you explain the thought process behind the creation of this colour scheme? I'm genuinely intrigued.

solid job, user. how'd you get that sickly green on the claws?

Are those 32mm bases?

Buzz lightyear?

Maybe a light coloured dirt or a sandy/desert colours with the occasion green tuft of grass. Do you have any of those stick on tufts?

No, why?

Thanks! I'm gonna clean up the lines and armour after the metals are base coated.

Yes. The infantry are on 32s, the heroes and inceptors are on 40s

how come some people have Primaris already? The box aint out yet, is it?

Stores have it.

Batfag here, after a week long break from painting I've finally managed to find a moment to finish the last joker gang member - the clown prince of crime himself.
I've also made a little conversion on him: I really didn't like the way his right hand looked, so I've glued a piece of cut out plastic to make it look like he's holding a playing card.
I think he came out alright, gotta love that devilish grin.

fantastic as always, user.

And a pic together with his gay lover.

>the collars prevent beaky Primaris
Life is suffering.

Aaaand I've just realised his knife looks like a fucking melting popsicle in these pictures.
It DOES look like actual blood in real life, it's just that my phone and light in the room suck.

Why does your mouse have a tiny hand on it?

you don't want to know

I think I have some ideas...

The official Archon kit is essentially the same armor with no helmet, a trophy rack, and a cloak of flayed skin. I don't like the flayed skin cloak or trophy rack so I wouldn't have put that on anyway, and the helmet was never made except as a metal or Finecast bit for a now OOP model. The base model from the neck down is essentially just a Kabalite with a cloak.

Plus, relics are gone now. If I was giving them the Armor of Misery it'd be a lot fancier, but that no longer exists.