Infantry only guard army

So for the sake of trying something new and my unashamed love for the Imp Guard i wanted to make a infantry only army. No mounted troops, no mechs, no armor, just foot slogging men and women with a lot of cardboard and flashlights.

The thing is... I could use a little help. As i wouldnt have all the big guns that tanks provide what should i take to make up for it?

The limit is 2500 points (local game shops typical game size)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=lA-iag83kQc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

weapons teams

personally I would recommend using a renegades and heretics army for this because in 7th you could use the master of the horde warlord special rule combined with the unending host detachment where you could have 30 man squads and all squads of 15+ men could redeploy on the board mid game on a roll of a 2+ if they are destroyed

also their troops are cheaper than traditional guard

you arent required to take any chaos covenants and you could use commissar models as enforcers, psykers as rogue pskers, etc.

That could work. Though i would rather go with imps over chaos I'll take a look either way. Thanks.

you are doing it wrong the imperial guard is all about it's armor and fortifications. they are not worth jack shit without their heavy machines.

in 8th edition their rules will be in the imperial guard forge world compendium

I'm personally a huge chaosfag but you could potentially make your army look and fluff as imperials or even just a penal legion

using traditional guard is much harder since they rely a lot on armor to be successful much like said

Haha yeah i know. I just wanted to do it for fun. (also armor models are expensive man! I only own one, a leman russ tank)

But i didnt think about the penal legion. That works for me and im sure no one would mind to much... Except the freakin ultra-smurf-fan-boy-by-the-book-no-exception-fag but he isnt fun to play with anyways.

>smurf players
not even once.

also, ebay is your friend. thats how i get most of my models

aa-wargames is a good store for cheap as fuck models if you are willing to strip them, fight in bidding wars, and wait for shipping from the UK.

but i have gotten things like a termie squad for $10 there

also there are a few chinese sellers with random names that sell recasts of forge world shit for legitimately reasonable prices.

I played infantry swarm guard for years. Weapon teams, static basilisk batteries from forge world and hordes of warm bodies with flashlights. It was expensive and took a long time to pull together buy the loom on the other guys face when I was (finally) done deploying made it all worth it.

Can you even fit 2500 pts of Infantry Guard on your side of the table?

Good question. I should probably check the math on this. Lol

Drop troops with meltas.

ok im not
but i did a little math and if you did the barebones minumum on upgrades and made an unending host, you could field 5 infantry platoons (of 5 30 man squads each) and a command squad for 2275 points. this is 755 total models, with 745 of them being generic infantry, 5 being demagogues, and a 5 man HQ squad.

you'd have 225 points left for upgrades or if you are an absolute madman could take two mutant rabble hordes. one of 50 guys and another of 25.

this would bring you exactly to 2500 points and a potential whopping total of 830 models for your 2500pt game.

OH and not to mention that destroyed squads come back on a roll of 2+

so you could literally flood the board with never ending models
it wouldn't matter what you opponent had because they would never be able to kill enough of them to matter.

also of note:
you can add a special weapon per every 5 guys in the infantry squads, so you could potentially drown the enemy in melta or flamers or whatever you wanted. and when they return on that 2+ they keep their weapons

also especially fun, is in 8th edition, since everything can wound on a 6, you could possibly take down titans with this army if they dont nerf the rules

Pretty easy in 8e.

Take some fortifications.
Take scions as troops.
Take weapon teams on your gun wall with mortars, lascannons and autocannons.
Scions drop with plasma to kill hard targets, gunline showers enemy with heavy weapons.
Lose to teleporting melee armies.

Oh dang man. I only have 300 guardsmen currently. Still gonna go for it but still that is a lot. No there is not enough space on the tables at the shop, but i could sure as hell just replace the dead ones as they make room.

thats just for the extremes

with upgrades and such, 300 is easily more than enough for the same type of army

anyone know a good website to get large numbers of guardsmen/renegades for cheap? Theres gotta be a way to buy bulk guardsmen besides patrolling ebay for dark vengeance cultists

they dont have to be specifically GW brand, just guys that I can use as counts as renegades

Yeah im thinking about getting another 100 models and use the rest of the points to upgrade the hell out of them. But still... This 800 army thing would be hillarious to see. Maybe i can borrow some guardsmen from the other guards player?

It'll take a while to get those models though but nothin i cant handle.

I've been playing Guard pure Infantry since 3rd ed.

This is the first time it seems viable in years.

if it wounds, guardsmen can kill it

2400 points:

Commissar Yarrik (130)
Lord castellan creed (70)
2x Lord commissar (100)
10x Company commander (300)
4x Conscripts x50 (600)
14x HWS - 3x lascannon (846)
4x Ratling x10 (280)

Set all HWS within Yarrik reroll aura, with conscript in a wide formation to screen them from any melee interaction.
Keep a lord commissar in range of conscript units,
Spam orders, then then spam some more orders, then even more orders.

Lascannon HWTs in Infantry Squads or Heavy Weapon Squads? Extra wounds is nice but without Combined Squad its less order friendly. I'm thinking of what to do with the 6 Infantry Squads if I take a Brigade and use them to sit around for objectives and screen for my HWS. Mortars?

I'll pass on the ratlings but hey i should get Yarrik. I was already planning to get creed though as i would like to hide my army behind a tree for surprise attacks.

Thing is, 40 snipers with BS 3+ and re-rolls to hit and wound can delete characters from the board with ridiculous ease.
And they are 7p each

Eh i get that im just not a fan of ratlings.

I'd look into Command Squad snipers then. Same BS, but a little more expensive. They are 8 points I believe instead of 7. They also don't have the same special rule of moving after shooting. However I think they can take orders where as Ratlings can't.

Will do thanks

i'd rather go special weapon squad then

6pt vs 8pt make up for the BS loss, and if you need to focus a character you would be ordering 6 guys a pop instead of 4.

he could replace the last conscript blob with a commissar lord for maximum flavour and an even 2000 points

Command squad gives you 4 snipers at BS3+. Special weapons squads gives you 6 men, but only 3 snipers at BS4+. Command squad puts out more damage and more reliably. Special weapons squad is only good because it has a 3 wound buffer before they lose snipers. That's not worth the worse BS for a single shot weapon.

Special weapons squads only really have one use over Command squads in this current edition, and that's demolition charges.

Is there something about ordering infantry inside vehicles or the commanders being able to issue orders inside a vehicle?

>deep
>striking
>scions
>meltas

I should really read the entries more carefully.

Also, with more elites, maybe it could be worth to throw some bare-boned rough riders in the mix to fulfil one brigade detachment.

>No mounted troops, no mechs, no armor, just foot slogging men and women with a lot of cardboard and flashlights.

DONT

JUST... DON'T

My man, you will put yourself through HELL, spending ALL THAT MONEY and TIME in gettting the figures and painting them up.

Then you bring them to the tabletop...

...AND LOSE ALL THE TIME

What would you recommend this edition? Transports and Lemans seem weak as shit now.

>Haha yeah i know. I just wanted to do it for fun.
Infantry is the new meta for 8th, so it wouldn't just be for fun. Heavy Weapon teams are competitively priced and now that instant death is no longer a thing much more survivable than they used to be. Spam Lascannons for heavy shit, Mortars for hordes, and Plasma on anything that isn't a HWT. Have some large conscript squads as the foundation of your gunline(with commissars of course), throw in some Bullgryns for counter-charging enemy melee units, and some aegis defense lines for staying power and you'll dominate your LFGS through sheer number of models.

You don't need to use ratling models, just use guardsmen with snipers, maybe with ghillie suits if you really want to differentiate them from ordinary guardsman.

I don't think I've seen people actually use ratling models to use for ratlings in years.

not in 8th user. Most IG vehicles have lower damage output compared to a similar pts in infantry. IG infantry got discounts across the board while vehicles went up in price and many of their weapons were nerfed.

Infantry is mostly where it's at, the main exception being the stormtrooper taurox with the mini punisher cannon, it is one of the most efficient units around since it shits out something like 28 B3+ S4 shots for about 100pts.

That being said OP, I hope you are ready to spend a lot of money if you're serious about fielding a 2500pt guard army. Your average guard squad is 40pts base, and about 60 fully kitted out. Officers range from 20-50 pts and weapons teams are disgustingly cheap (you pay 12 pts for 3 bases then add weapons to them, the most brutally cheap way to get heavy weapons in the game)

On top of that, command squads allow you to just buy all the special weapons you want with no chaff and officer orders automatically pass now and autopass.

Infantry is way better than tanks for IG now, just realize OP that you are going to spend hundreds more to get a good army than you would for say space Marines or Eldar.

Punishers, Manticores and Basilisks are also really good this edition.

Punisher is kind of straight up less efficient than the taurox though ironically.

Manticores are pretty ok too, but I don't really think Basilisks are all that great. Not when I can get a squad of mortars for 27pts that's putting out potentially 3d6 S4 barrage hits per turn.

You take both Mortars and Basilisks + Manticores. More artillery the better and the more S9 and S10 is good for high T things. Punishers are more durable against medium and low strength weapons than Taurox Primes though, and they are more of a fire magnet. Unless you plan on fielding a ton of TPs, then Punishers are good too.

Are missile launchers finally good? They're the same cost as a lascannon but do the same amount of damage and can throw d6 shots at troops.

Hellhounds are also great. S6 AP-1 D2 autohitting shots is deadly, and they got cheaper.

youtube.com/watch?v=lA-iag83kQc

Have you ever considered just running a stormie army with heavy weapons teams to make up for the lack of crewed weapons?

Yeah that could work.

28mm historical/ modern/ post-apocalypse/ sci-fi miniatures

I run my ratlings as Guards(women) in kneeling poses so that it's obvious what they're supposed to be. My opponents enjoy hacking away at the infantry blob while I enjoy sniping their characters.