dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/unearthed-arcana-update

>5etools:
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Resources Pastebin:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previous Thread:

Where were you when you found out that the sun doesn't produce sunlight?

Wait, isn't Sun Sensitivity for the Drow a debuff in sunlight? So if the Sun doesn't produce sunlight RAW, does that mean Drow aren't debuffed?

In some games/settings, the sun is just a portal that orbits the Material Plane and is a connection to the Plane of Positive Energy.

>the sun doesn't produce sunlight
The Sun does produce sunlight, but the planet's atmosphere filters that sunlight into ordinary light. Otherwise you'd take radiant damage by stepping outside. Spells like Sunbeam produce unfiltered sunlight, which is much more potent.

You see, for something to produce sunlight it must be explicitely stated that it produces sunlight. For both the sun blade and the sunbeam spell we have the phrase "This light is sunlight." This bring about the understanding that for something to produce sunlight it must be explicitly stated to do so. Since only the spell Sunbeam and the Sun Blade magic item contain this text, this means that these are the only sources of sunlight available in the game. And since the sun is not explicitly stated at any point in 5th edition that it produces light, or much less does it produce sunlight, we can conclude that the sun does not produce light or sunlight in 5th edition. We would be able to state that the sun in fact does not exist in 5th edition however because the sun is referred to on its own as "sun" and not as the compound word "sunlight" we do know that the sun does in fact exist in 5e by RAW, however by that same RAW it does not produce light or sunlight.

Looking for some ideas, /5eg/ anons.

For the past little bit in my campaign, I've been setting it up that there has been an increasing degree of "weird shit" happening on the continent that the players have been on. This has all been leading up to a "minor" Far Realm incursion where a rift is going to split open between the Material Plane and the Far Realm, and I want "cosmic radiation" to mutate that section of the land underneath the rift.

Currently, I've got it planned out that the rift opens up above a healthy forest near the ocean, about a week's travel from a decently-sized town. I already have descriptions ready for what the stuff does to the trees (some become fleshy, others go aetherial/translucent) and the land (it becomes glassed and turns into a super slick surface), but how would you guys recommend I have it affect the animals, and what sort of unique traits would occur?

This particular forest is home to wolves, bears, various birds (hawks, owls, etc.), and cougars, with there being a small bandit camp (occupied by humans, half-orcs, and half-elves) who are looking to GTFO before the changes to the animals and plants begin to affect them.

>"MEANWHILE, AT AUTISM CASTLE"

At first I was like: "Wait, did I miss something important in recent lore developements?"

But than I was like: "Ah, it's Aragorn's pants all over again".

An owlbear spontaneously mutates into a bearowl

I think reading that almost gave me a seizure.

Otherworldly parasites with flailing tentacles that take over the bodies of four-legged animals, replacing most of their spinal column in the process.

Yes I am ripping off Resident Evil 4z

Glorious.

Going to argue this next time I'm playing my shadow monk and want to teleport during the day

My players thought the twist of the campaign was that they were resurrected ancient heros, then they thought the twist was that the enemy did it so they'd wreck shit, then they thought the twist was the bad guy was half the parties mother. Do you think they'll be mad when they find out the twist is that there is a richly inhabited intergalactic community and their mother elf has taken control of the last base and last remaining star cruiser on the planet using it to try to take it over with cloning and her powerful magic?

Know what? I'll you and your dubs have this one for now. I can't even begin with this.

Or other some such weird fusions, like a dire wolf with a Beholder eye for a tail, that fires a Slowing Beam to make it easier for the dire wolf to om nom the prey.

You could also do something like, "if a creature is dealt slashing damage, it bisects in half like a gelatenous ooze, making a new creature with half the HP of the base one."

>no counterargument
>posts "hilarious" images for the sake of ridicule
Like clockwork.

How do you even counter-argument that kind of autism? Someone who's that far gone isn't even operating on a comprehensible level.

As you can also see with this, there is also the fact that the sun's existence is not an inherit factor within the rule system of 5th edition according to this current RAW. You see in 5th edition we have no mechanical references to the sun itself existing. The closest this comes to is sunlight, and sunrise. As mentioned beforehand, the sun it self does not actually produce any light or sunlight. Because of this, we know that the attribute of "sunlight" has in actuality no bearings on whether or not the sun is a mechanical entity or not, so it is safe to state that the existence of sunlight in 5th edition has no relevance to whether or not the sun exists in the first place. The usage of the "sun" in the word "sunlight" could also easily be in reference to another entity or term involving the sun. It could be a noun that acts as a reference to one of the developers, maybe he was Korean? It is not possible to be sure that the "sun" used is in reference to the sun, and so this does not lend to proof of the sun's existence. The second point is the factor of sunrise. This comes mostly into play with magic items. However, as there are many planes of existence that do not have a sun, and magical items will still regain charges, it is obvious that the term "sunrise" does not refer to any supposed entity called "the sun", but in fact is a point in time, similar to noon or midnight, and has no bearing on this supposed body. The final point comes down to gods. In some settings, it is known that certain gods have an explicit domain involving a sun. An example would be Greyhawk with Pelor. Because of this, sadly Greyhawk does have a sun, due to there being a god of the sun. This is not true for all settings. For example, the sun does not exist in both Dragonlance and Eberron. However, as mentioned before, it is not certain if this so called "sun" is holds the same significance and meaning as what we refer to as the sun in the real world, so the sun is not real in 5E.

Actually I'm afraid this isn't possible.

"Even gloomy days provide bright light," PHB 183.

It's just as our friend has so clearly pointed out, said light cannot come from the sun.

I don't think it's to ridicule. It's more that this argument is so beautiful that they're expressing their joy.

It's a freakin' masterpiece.

Rules lawyer bullshit would just get house ruled by the DM.

something like
>The sun in this setting is real and does provide sunlight.

Case closed.

But where's the fun in that?

I want to run a Tomb of Horrors one shot for 4-5 players. Any tips on how to prepare the players? How many backups should I tell them to roll up? I was thinking level 15 characters with some magic items. Level 15 potentially gives them access to 6th, 7th and 8th level spells which will give them options without trivializing the tomb.

Post your ToH experiences.

Twist should be they are resurrected ancient villians.

If the Sun doesn't produce sunlight to begin with, why would they bother specifying that the Barovian Sun doesn't produce sunlight?

Restating the rules for idiots that can't read.

Here's your counterargument: the PHB isn't a dictionary. It assumes a knowledge of the English language and uses many commonly spoken words without defining them. One of those words is "sunlight", which even a relatively poor English speaker understands as meaning "light from a sun".

I must thank you my friend in pointing this out, this is a genius revelation.

As stated, there is bright light that is produced during gloomy days. As we know that the sun does not produce light nor sunlight, this natural light does not have any source and simply exists. However as it states that bright light is produced on gloomy days, it is not stated at any point of any light that is produced on days that are not gloomy. Therefor, natural light does exist, however it does not come from any sun, as suns do not exist, and anything referred to as a "sun" cannot be taken with certainty to be "the sun", the only certainty is that natural light only exists when it is a gloomy day. If it is not a gloomy day, then there is not natural light that will be produced, and certainly not by any supposed "sun" of any sorts.

^^^^

>spells like Sunbeam and Sunburst require them to be explicitly spelled out that they are sunlight
>sun doesn't have that

Trips speak the truth. Light only exists on gloomy days

Oooh good point.

This, I think, is a perfect example of "the exception that proves the rule."

In the technical sense. As in "if the Barovian sun's light is called out as not counting as sunlight, this would mean that other suns' light is sunlight."

What a load of horseshit.
Are you seriously telling me that I'm supposed to assume that sunlight comes from the sun?
Should I assume that gunpowder comes from guns?
What else should be assumed I'm supposed to be arbitrating instead of just using the fucking rules?

If that's your homebrew that's fine but you can't expect everyone to make the same retarded assumptions as you.

One PC lost his arm in a recent fight, and two Artificers want to help make him a mechanical prosthetic. I was thinking having it cost 1000gp and two weeks work time between the two of them. Thoughts?

Obviously this means that the sun is always there.

It's just that at night, it's too dark to see it.

You might as well say that there are no venomous animals in D&D because they all inflict poison.

If the prosthetic has no advantages and drawbacks, I would rule it to be equivalent to crafting a Regeneration spell scroll.

Well you see, the Barovian Sun is a single entity. While Barovian is used as a term to describe something of Barovia, it is still possible that "Barovian Sun" is not a sun but something else entirely. Maybe it is the name of a man who never had loving parents, as "Barovian Sun" is truly a poor name for a child. If this does show that the sun does exist however, there is no evidence to show that it exists outside of Barovia. This "Barovian Sun" does not produce sunlight when Strahd is in power, however it does if defeated. This is likely a grammatical mistake, where they were attempting to infer that this is the Barovian Sun when under Strahd's control. However we cannot prove that this sun is the same as the sun that exists in our world. Since Barovia is also a mysterious realm, and the Dark Powers function under strange rules, Barovia itself is in all truthfulness just a mirage of mist, an illusion. It is entirely possible that this entity that gives off life is a mirage of the mind and magic made by the Dark Powers that rule the realms of Barovia, or that it is a figure such as a large firefly or powerful wizard casting a light producing spell and quickly changes to a sunlight producing spell when Strahd is killed. As it is only temporary, and we know that the sun does not produce sunlight, then it is certain that this "Barovian Sun" is not a sun in the same sense of the real world, but either the name of a figure, or an illusion made by the Dark Powers and the Mists.

Nah, venomous stings are mentioned in the description of poison damage.

Someone with a twitter account ask Crawford if the sun produces sunlight.

Crawford doesn't give out Sage Advice on things that don't exist in D&D.

Well actually

The spell Sunburst, and the Holy Symbol of Ravenkind also produce Sunlight, as does, unless memory fails me the Light Cleric's Holy Nimbus ability

The spell Daylight however, does not produce sunlight

They never say that the sun doesn't emit sunlight.

What they say is that the daylight, while being bright light, isn't sunlight.

Now, see here we have three terms. "Daylight" in most worlds is composed of two aspects: bright light and sunlight. The Barovian form of daylight doesn't have the latter.

But even on those worlds which do have a sun, we can't assume sunlight comes from it.
By it's very nature, if we assume that sunlight comes from the sun, how could the Barovian example make sense?

No, sunlight and bright light are a wholly different phenomena from the sun, obviously.

Obviously the sun only exists in Barovia.

Found it!

Light Domain: Corona of Light
Starting at 17th level, you can use your action to activate an aura of sunlight that lasts for 1 minute

This is looking to be a good thread

The "aura of sunlight" is just flavor text. When it goes into the mechanical description of the light produced it does not state that "this light is sunlight", so this does not actually produce any sunlight.

The same goes for the sunburst spell, and the Holy Nimbus Devotion Paladin feature.

How can you look if there's no light to do it by?

So we get UA on the 5th right?

Radiance of the Dawn and Holy Nimbus are also vaguely specified Sunlight

You're not going to convince anyone that the sun's light isn't sunlight because the system doesn't specify sunlight being sunlight

If someone showed up and argued that their character walk through walls because the book has no rule saying "you cannot walk through walls," most people wouldn't really see a need to actually argue otherwise.

This is similar. The don't care about a counterargument because it's self-evident that it's a nonsensical and indefensible position.

Anyone else feel uncomfortable with having an ability score below 10. I think I should play regular human only.

>waaaaah i hate having flaws!!! why can't i be a perfect character who's good at everything!!

embrace your low stats
That shit is a gift, and a more significant character aspect than your main stat

>flaws have to be being physically/mentally inferior

>tfw 6 dex and 7 con
i actually love it, being average to mediocre at everything is stupid, being super fucking good at something and horrible at something else feels much better.

I feel like the Morningstar doesn't get enough love. A simple, dependable 1d8 piercing. Good, sturdy, satisfying.

Playing a regulat human with nothing below 10 is probably one of the biggest flaws possible in the game.

He'll be worse then everyone else.

No that's not it. It's like I make a rogue, I put my 14 or 15 into Dex, naturally.
Gotta have a 14 in my Con of course, and my rogue isn't an idiot, so he's got some points in Wis and Int.
Now my Str and Cha are both 8 and and I'm like "this doesn't feel right my dude should be able to do a 10 ft long jump and not have boogers running down his face"

>in addition to demanding i be able to outshine my party in every conceivable skill check, i will adamantly go out of my way to inconvenience my party and make the game all about Me as i attempt to shoehorn my roleplayed "flaws" into the adventure

11, 15, 13, 12, 12, 10. Bump up DEX and CON with V.Human and take any feat you want.

Nigga, it's not hard to play an all rounder without going normal Human. It's just fucking stupid because you'll likely only be good at one thing.

I'm playing a Cleric using one right now actually.

Guess I'm just overthinking it. In my experience it's never like the party understands that everyone's good at their own things.
And usually the people with characters that should be good at something totally suck at it from the player side of things.

How do I not be annoying as fuck while still actually playing a Gnome?

Step 1. Don't do a gnome voice.

why are gnomes annoying? Are they the dragonlance my real ame goes on for weeks type?

>bioluminescent fog

Guys I want to play an evil character. Really evil.
I don't need to meet a murder quota but I still want to be basically as reprehensible as possible

How do I do this without distracting my party from their goals or giving them an obvious reason to kick me out?

If you go standard human you can have 10, 16, 16, 9, 14, 12.
Honestly, I feel like 16 in Con is a bit overboard. I'd probably put it in Wisdom or Charisma.

Seconded.

In the PHB they do have the retarded name thing yeah.

The issue is they're normally just combining Dwarves and Halflings into one race when it's not needed. Also I don't think they've ever had good fluff, if they did it was probably in 2e somewhere.

Impossible unless you do an evil game. When it comes down to it, no one outside of dumb movies keeps around an obvious evil fucker when they kill 100's of evil fuckers every day. Why should they keep you around?

If you make it a "They need me for X" then it's even worse. Now they're having your character shoved down their throats and they can't even kick the character no matter what you do.

Well then I'll just have to be evil in a non-obvious way. Like a sociopath.

On the other hand people do keep around obviously evil people sometimes, like politicians. Usually people in power.

pointbuy you can't even go below an 8, which with +2 racial would mean 10.
And no basic race has negatives to stats...
Why do you have to run human in order to avoid negative modifiers?

so, a rapier without the option to finesse?

One of my players, and a really good friend, loves rolling for stats every time. He got a great stat block before modifiers, but with one incredibly low stat: a 4.

He shoved that shit in charisma, which is not something I'd agree with normally. But he had a lot of experience in improv, and worked with it very well. He was uncouth, honest-to-a-fault, and aggressive by default. He was incredibly jarring in every social encounter, of which he participated in a lot. He made me uncomfortable because of how often I had to think on my toes, and he really gave himself a challenge.

He definitely played to his stupidly low stat, since his responses were just so unexpected, brutish, and often inappropriate. Funnily enough, he was leading an investigation independent of the rest of the party.

There was, oddly enough, not a single point where I'd say he inconvenienced or set back the party. In fact, his straightforward attitude helped to unify and get the party motivated towards a singular purpose whenever they were off track.

You need to understand that
>The changes that DM made
Do not incentivize
>The kind of play that DM wants

And it's more than just Gritty Realism resting rates. It's retarded shit like -1 AC from shields and opportunity attacks for standing up from prone. That doesn't make Strength better. That makes being in melee worse. Hence, their melee noping the fuck out.

I see you have Heighten Spell and not a single spell that's worth heightening. Might want to fix that. Banish is awesome. Hypnotic Pattern/Fear is an option. Even Hold Person or Hold Monster. Levitate is a good option. You really should have one spell that uses your metamagic.

That would turn it into a 50'000 gold and 1000 day ordeal for two characters as per DMG rules, . Which is... not much fun, I would say.
I'd allow them to make a shitty hand that would have a disadvantage on dex-based checks for 5k and 100 days per RAW. I myself homerule a 100 gp crafting limit per day instead of 25 gp, except for potions.

Use the UA rules you foggot

Please for the sake of everyone, don't do this. Trust me when I say there's thousands of people like you on Roll20 and they're literally the thing that makes playing with people online bad. No one wants to sit there while you type about how edgy you can be like somekind of Sonic Fanfiction.

Play a morally ambiguous character sure, but don't describe your character as Evil or you need to go straight back to the drawing board.

The UA downtime rules were actually one of the best ones they made. I actually use it every game and it makes spending gold have a reason.

I wanna be a Grappler, /5eg/.

I'd especially love to be a Dragonborn Grappler that holds people down and vomits acid all over them, but I'd settle for any sort of decent grappler.

How do?

What's the best class for a Goblin? Ranger seemed like a good choice with the bonus action hide, Rogues already get it... Fighter might be okay. So could Monk.

I just want to be like Griffith okay. A character that did literally everything wrong.

Also I don't play with strangers like some degenerate neckbeard, so I don't think the other players will have much issue telling me if my character is insufferable.

Reminder that the in Forgotten Realms the sun is just a portal to the Plane of Fire, and that means both Amaunator and Lathander are subservient to Kossuth. but amaunator has a great buddy-buddy relationship with him and they both tease lathander all day (HEH) because he's a fucking twat

Looked up, the rules seem cool. However my beef is not with the rules as such, just with the time requirements. 500 days for a very rare item is a bit too much for my liking and and the tone of my homebrew world. 120 days for a 7th-level scroll is fine though.

>i'm an amazing hero superior to all these fucking peasants
>but i'm still below average in some way

Very rare items are to quote themselves, very rare. Rare meaning it doesn't occur very often.

I'd say nearly once every 2 years is very rare.

Basically. That's why it's so overlooked, I imagine.

The morningstar would probably benefit from splitting its damage between bludgeoning/piercing, but that'd just make things complicated.

You want
>advantage on str checks
>expertise in athletics
>extra attack for grapple+shove prone
So Valor Bard with Enlarge Person and Barbarian with at least 1 Rogue level are the top contenders.
Valor Bard gets extra points for being able to eventually make your own ring with Forcecage, Barbarogue gets some because of extra tankiness.

Civilized goblins that otaku.

Meaning depending on just how much you belong on this site with the rest of us, the answer might be the simplest one: just be yourself. Might need to swap the hobby for a more period appropriate counterpart.

Everyone's going to tell you to take some combiantion of Barbarian (for advantage on all your Athletics checks while Raging) or Bard/Rogue (for Expertise).

This is horseshit. All you need is decent Strength, proficiency in Athletics, a free hand (or the willingness to drop your weapon if sword-and-boarding), and the ability to say "I make a grapple attempt on the guy". Most creatures don't have Athletics, and unless you're fighting something way bigger than you that wouldn't make much sense to grapply anyway, they're unlikely to have more Strength. You'll succeed more often than not, so don't worry about a fucking meme build or thinking you need to be X class to pull anything off.

But if you are looking for classes or other things that help grappling, there are the above ones (Barb, Bard, Rogue),
Druid (for beast form shenanigans and dragging enemies through Spike Growth),
Fighter (because martial maneuvers will let you do damage while punching and apply knockdown in the same round),
Monk (so you can do decent damage all the time while grappling),
Tavern Brawler (so you can stab->stab->grapple in the same turn and have improved damage; synergizes well with Battlemaster for knockdown),
or Shield Master (a more defensive means of inflicting the same grappled+prone combo as Tavern Brawler).

The average Joe IS below average in some way.

I mean, if it functions exactly the same as a real arm, it should cost real arm prices in time and money. Since restoration is nearly instant and this would require a good amount of craft time, probably cheaper on money to balance that.

If it has disadvantages, then cheaper still, in either time or money.

If it has IMPROVEMENTS over his old arm, that is, is a straight upgrade, an objectively better arm, then it should cost MORE in time and money that restoration.