Help me TG I want to start a theme army

I need help with a zombie theme army for 40k come 8th ED

I want a mass poxwalker army. As many as I can field + support for them.

What would work well with them?

I'm hoping I can pick up a ton of them on release day from people looking for Primise marines.

How should I build my army? I'm looking for about 150 strength but the system seems so weird to me because I haven't played since tau were new.

Can anyone from Veeky Forums give me a hand I think this army would be really fun to play.

The zombie theme where they kill and make new zombies + being able too reroll wounds just sounds like old undead in Warhammer fantasy.

pox walkers say that they come in a 10-20 man unit but the book says they are strength 3... does that mean a unit weather or not they are 10 or 20 man would still be the same strength?

Do a nurgle vraks renegades army

There's rules for having a huuuuge plague zombie army

Would I cut nurgle marines from my army? I want to focus on poxwalkers.

What's that my man. I haven't played in so long. The pox walkers in 8th ed box look fantastic and I bet not many people want to keep them so I think I can pick up tons at my lgs.

also this nurgle sorc comes with it. Does it help poxwalkers at all?

typhus is an auto include
and then i would say one or two ranged Anti large units and then close combat walkers to come in and kill anything they get stuck in with

Heres a better picture of them.

Is my math wrong or would 200 poxwalkers only come out to 30 strength points?

10 units of 20 at 3 strength each

I haven't played in so long? what would the walkers be? What would the anti large ranged be?

The strength system seems so weird to me compared to points.

please halp

shooty hellbutes, predators, vindicator, forge fiends for range
mauler fiends and helbrutes for close combat
defilers can fill both

Poxwalkers Rules Summary
6 pts apiece
Disgustingly Resiliant: Grants a fixed save vs all weapons (even high S ones)
Immune to Morale
Curse of the Walking Pox: Can create a new unit any time they destroy an enemy infantry unit (NEAT!)
Typhus grants nearby Poxwalkers +1 S/T

heres some rules I found for them in 8th ed

Would any of those fit the zombie theme?

Typhus works well with them I can see.

How many plague marine starter sets should I try to pick up from people looking for primise mariens? how cheep you think I could get them for cash per just the nurgle half of boxs?

Strength is how damaging they are individually. Strength 3 is human strength. its saying each poxwalker is as strong as the average human warrior. Its talking about fitness of muscles not military "strength".
If you mean power levels, dont worry about those at all, just ignore them. There are points rules, poxwalkers are 6 points per model, so a 10 man squad is 60 points, a 20 man squad is 120 points. Typhus increases strength and toughness (basically how hard you hit and how hard you can take it) for them so he is great. The sorceror guy can protect them from enemy shooting with a spell or assault your enemies with plagues, so he is good too.

Probably one of the biggest units in the new box that helps them is the "Lord of Contagion" hes a big scary melee dude, but he will get shot up trying to reach the enemy, so hide him behind the zombies and have him fight with them and they can soak all the bullets whilst he carves up dudes with his axe. He has a special rule that means enemies near your poxwalkers that are near him will risk getting damaged each turn by how plaguey they are too.

Those are all tanks or daemon engines. So far the closest to theme vehicle is the "Foetid Bloat Drone" which is a flying acid spitting helicopter squid that comes in the starter box. Helbrutes however kind of look a little bit like a zombie stuck in a robot suit, so you could easily make one look like a zombie. Helbrutes are very angry robot suit guys with either big fucking guns or big stompy melee, they go crazy when they get hurt and make free extra attacks.

That sounds awesomely thematic :D Each start comes with 10 poxwalkers. How many do you think I could buy off people on release day? Offer like 20-40$ for the entire nurgle half of the box if they are looking for primise marines?

Yeah I was planning on buying a ton of the nurgle halfs from people who didn't want them on release day. Would a swarm of bloat drones fill the heavy shooty role? and typhus fill the the murder CC role?

Each starter comes with 20 pox walkers, not 10. Not sure if $40 will be enough, might be looking at 60-80ish? more if you want the rulebook.
Bloat Drones seem to clear out infantry, even the heavier stuff but aside from their melee dont seem to do much to vehicles. Typhus and a Lord of Contagion would probably be enough to do a lot of CC murder, they could probably even murder vehicles if they can get near them.

If you give melta guns to your plague marines (you might be able to get someone at your local store to sell you some old bits he doesnt need for this) you can have up to two of those per squad, they arent super long range but they would give you shooty vehicle killing. A Helbrute with Multi-Meltas, Lascannons or Missile Launchers would do similar. Your Plague Marines and foetid bloat drones could shoot any infantry, your poxwalkers could just march forwards eating any bullets for your melee murder guys like Typhus and the Lords of Contagion and your malignant blightcasters could use "miasma of pestilence" to shield the poxwalkers from enemy fire.

No I'm buying 1 box myself and i'll trade the Primis in it for probably 1 complete half of chaos. so there's 2 sets right there.

I'm just looking for the Nurgle models out of the set. Mostly the poxwalkers. 10-20 for just the poxwalkers sounds fair right?

Also nurgle has blightlaunchers now so won't that work like a melta kinda?

Blight Launcher (new weapon) is S6 AP-2; RNG 24″; Assault 2, D3 damage;

They keep Feel No Pain (Disgustingly Resilient) which is no longer ignored via Instant Death;
Plague Marines are Troops in a Death Guard Detachment;
Plague Marines are Toughness 5 and re-roll wounds of 1 in combat;
Blight Launcher (new weapon) is S6 AP-2; RNG 24″; Assault 2, D3 damage;
Poxwalkers are six points and Troops for a Death Guard Detachment and ignore the Morale Phase;
Poxwalkers can add more models to their unit when they successfully kill enemy infantry;
Typhus increases the Strength and Toughness of nearby Poxwalkers by 1;
Miasma of Pestilence – psychic power which causes opponent’s To Hit rolls to be reduced by 1

here's some other new rules

Just play Renegades. Zombies and other fucked up abhumans are options.

But 8th ed is coming out and it's fresh? I'd rather pick up all the stuff people don't want.

It's a forgeworld army list, so you'll need to wait until FW's indexes get released.

What? No they are coming out in the 8th ed starting box? I don't think you need any forge world

Ah renegades. NVM sorry

This guy at my FLGS has a guardsman zombie army that he runs. Typhus, 2 squads of plague marines and then like, 60 custom modeled zombie guardsmen made from the Cadian models. Looks hella dope.

yeah it sounds like it's super easy to start now that poxwalkers will be a thing

zombies aren't fresh, chaos has had zombies since 6th edition

people have played zombies for the last ten years or whatever

The strength you were referring too is actually called power ratings. 10 pox walkers is a power rating of 3. 20 pox walkers is a power rating of 6. Power points are intended as an alternative to the point buy we are all more familiar with. Be aware that you may have an easier time finding people willing to play points than power ratings. In fact I have seen a lot of people saying they won't touch the power rating system, though personally I think it will be great for throwing together games quickly.

an addendum, so if you wanted a power rating of 150 (why this I must ask? As i don't know what a good judge of game size for power ratings is it seems somewhat arbitrary to me) if you wanted to do just pox walkers you would need 25 units of 20 pox walkers. That's 500 pox walkers. If that's what you want, more power to you, and good luck, but I'd seriously look at some other things for the army.

Haha Yeah I might try to start at 100~ pox walkers for my army to start

I don't know; I see that spamming zombies could be fun but this is weak against a heavy shooty army, let's say Dark Angels with a Redeemer/Crusader, Whirlwind and Dark Talon/Nephilim - you will get so many dice into the face each round and need probably 2-3 turns to reach the enemy lines because the Walkers are slow as fuck. And then the enemy can still outrun you with everything.
In 7th the Zombies were mainly cheap objective holders.