dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/unearthed-arcana-update

>5etools:
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Resources Pastebin:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previous Thread:
What do you expect from the upcoming Arcana?

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/6aQ0LDh5
1d4chan.org/wiki/Hellbred
homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/ryQy_RhmlZ
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>last thread only on page 6
Nice. Let's get all those cross-thread posts up.

Something new for the upcoming books, maybe? I don't know really, I do think they should make something flavorful for the new "setting".

pastebin.com/6aQ0LDh5
More options for the other races.

Reposting in new thread

Need advice, never encountered this situation before. GMs for Bardfags help please.

I have a player who, for whatever reason, really liked the characterization of the main "good guy" NPC, so she has tried to hook up with him.

He has no real reason NOT to, and for various reasons he is often looked at with disgust or begrudging respect. It's a half orc who only managed to gdt any kind of leadership position through immense hard work. His problem with the ladies has been "I am a fucking half orc", so he had just given up on it.

The player has managed to do a lot of make the character seem genuinely into this guy, and has rolled really well on a lot of the social rolls so far, but...

I am kind of worried about the change in pace here. The PCs are working for him, as he is the one giving them the main tasks and rewards for completing them. If he were to hook up with one of them... I kinda feel like a "conflict of interest" situation is about to appear.

I know I have a few options, of course. For starters, I could kill the NPC. Kind of lazy, but it would give the PC more of a drive that she currently lacks.

I could also try to force a "let's keep it private and not let it effect anything", but that sounds bioware-y, which is somehow even more lazy.

The rest of my small ideas all cause conflict in the group, as it would almost all lead to favouring the girl hooking up with him. Or could I just angle it so his affection for her is veiled under a General "I love all of you guys, so have some extra rewards"?

Disclaimer: I dont mind the relationship at all, but I want to make sure this doesn't cause an issue with the other players.

The NPC doesn't hold all the straws, there's an organisation behind him that determines who gets paid what. Thus, he might be able to rain a little bit of favour onto the PCs, he can't make or break them.

What are people's final thoughts on the Stream of Annihilation?

Day 2 Maze Arcana (I think it was that one?) was a fucking trainwreck.

Still needed a summary of everything announced there for those who cannot watch the 2 day stream.

How so?

I'm playing an Arcane Trickster. Variant Human with Mobile. Ability spread is 8,16,14,14,12,10 after racials.
Cantrips: Greenflame, minor illusion, Mage Hand
1st: Find Familiar, Silent Image, Disguise Self

Fights with a Rapier. My question is this: should I ever take another feat, or just pump DEX and then get vanity boosts to INT and CON?

Character was a street urchin trained by a disgraced duelist-turned-criminal.

Crazy amount of railroading and really bad "jokes" about how the players aren't following the DM's story.

Yeah, I get that the games are scripted as hell, but have a bit of delicacy in reminding the players of it. "You should probably do *this* instead, hint hint." instead of, "WELP, RECALL ALL THE BOOKS." "NO, YOU DON'T DO THAT, *THIS* HAPPENS."

Aussies were best, although seemed a bit scripted at times
Mearls was good
Dice camera action was good
Everything else was ok or bad

Mearls' game was brilliant, enjoyed the stuff Chris DMed even though meatgrinder was questionable (his gleefully tearing up character sheets made up for it tremendously), and I was surprised how well Dylan DMed. Everything else was hit or miss.

I had to miss most of that and the Aussie game. I thought the first day MA game went fairly poorly mostly because the celebrities they brought on didn't seem to know what they were doing, and it was a clusterfuck of PvP.

>street urchin trained by a disgraced duelist-turned-criminal
Jesus Christ.

The Aussie game was gold, though.

What feat are you thinking about taking?

I think that's a book, isn't it? I swear it sounds familiar as fuck.

Scooby was either drinking at every chance he could get, or he needs to tone it down a bit and stop interrupting others. I have no idea if he's new to the game or not, but a bit of courtesy in letting others speak isn't limited to playing D&D.

Who were in the MA games?

What made you think the Meatgrinder was questionable.

He wasn't really bad was he? He was respectable in the Curator game.

Which games do you think were scripted?

Anons? I want to try and convert the Hellbred from 3.5's Fiendish Codex II to a 5e race - yeah, I know their fluff basically boils down to being the bastard lovechildren of tieflings and revenants, but still, I feel they'd be a great fit for a Dark Fantasy setting.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to pull it off? I'm torn between making the Infernal Body/Infernal Soul aspect the "subrace" and converting the Devil's Favor feats, and using a downgraded version of the Infernal Body/Soul as part of its innate abilities and using the Devilish Favors as a subrace mechanic.

Which do anons think works best?

1d4chan.org/wiki/Hellbred

Mage Slayer for fun, or Lucky, Alert, or one of the Resilients for a bad save like Constitution or Wisdom.
But Mage Slayer just sounds fun with Mobile and all that movement rogues have.

What do you guys think of Mearls initiative?
>Everyone above the enemies goes in a group in any order
>Enemies go
>Everyone below enemies goes in a group in any order

I for one liked the fact the Lead Designer of 5e is showing viewers that sometimes it's just great to handwave the rules and have fun.

Chris Perkins also said that if you don't agree with a rule or don't like it, just ignore it as the DM.

>3rd ed Shaman would be cool if they brought it into 5ed

>I think that's a book, isn't it?
Not only it's a book, it's also a movie, a play and backstory of 90% rogues and bards. It's THE cliche.

I don't know, I kind of enjoyed his enthusiasm. Maybe he did get a bit overzealous here and there.

It was supposed to showcase the new "hardmode" mechanics, which was all of enemies hitting harder apparently and the new dc15 death save. What ended up happening was a bunch of people just outright dying by getting thrown off the cliff, getting auto-fails on death saves from being hit by enemies or rolling nat 1's, or rolling well below 10 anyway so the mechanic never really came into play except twice when two people rolled exactly 10. And then there were the faggot half-orc players that abused their racial ability in a way I don't think was actually legal but the game was strapped for time so I can forgive some cheese. Joe was bro and that rogue that popped in and gave the orb away before fucking off to save himself was great.

I think the dude just really likes D&D.

New UA when

I have a V.Human Paladin with Sentinel and Polearm Master who uses a lance, glaive, and a quarterstaff. Using spell slots to smite with the occasional spell here and there. Mainly fight while riding a mount unless I'm forced off it. Should I go for an ASI or get Mounted Combatant?

Warlocks should be referred to as "homeschooled wizards" from now on.

Rogues get proficiency in WIS saves automatically at like level 14

Ah, forgot about slippery mind. Maybe CON Resilient, though it sounds so damn boring.

Anyone got a good domain list for the god of money? I've had my right arm replaced by her and want to take a one or two level dip. I'm currently a goblin rogue at level 7 with either 18 or 19 dex and 14 wisdom.

I find the lead rules designer openly and publically acknowledging his rules are shit and best left ignored with the added excuse this is an interesting dedicated feature rather disheartening.

I would assume that he's not the only guy working on the rules and got overruled by other designers. Pretty sure the RAW is mostly catering to the audience and the playtesters, but designers themselves, being DMs, have their opinions on the matter.

Why are you this autistic?

Holy shit guys I'm going to play 5e for the first time with a new group and I haven't touched tabletops in a year.

Can somebody give me a quick rundown or a basic gestalt of classes and rule changes from 3.5? Are monks still shit? What the fuck are advantages? I tried reading the books but they were sucky and boring as hell and somebody wanted me to pay for them.

Personally I'd use Trickery, Forge or Knowledge depending on the type of money god.

Goblin Rogue would probably get the most out of Forge for a 1-2 level dip.

>Are monks still shit?
Everything is fine except way of the elements monk and PHB ranger. There is a playtest ranger which is better.
>What the fuck are advantages?
2d20, use highest
Disavantage is 2d20 use lowest

>Can somebody give me a quick rundown or a basic gestalt of classes and rule changes from 3.5?

It's a completely different game... like it has nothing in common to 3.5 so forget everything you know about it.

You have to read the book man, it's not that much work and you're not that retarded. I believe in you.

Planning to play a Swashbuckler Pirate. Am I seeing this correctly that I'd need to pick Weapon Master in order to dual-wield Scimitars as a Swashbuckling Pirate (since those are the closest thing resembling a cutlass)?

Monks are okay but nothing stellar, advantage = roll d20 twice, take the highest, read the fucking PHB

okay but is there anything big that changed I need to know. Any weird shit?

Like, are Dex fighters feasible?
Did they make any retarded revisions to unbalance magic users?

Just anything you can think of that's changed big time, not specifically answering those examples.

Are monks still shit
No monks are actually bloody good fun this edition. Major things to avoid is 4 elements monk and instead of the PHB book ranger go for the revised one download it from Unearthed Arcana on the site if the DM allows it. The only really bad class this edition is the sorcerer and it has good archetypes like the stone sorcerer.

Start as fighter and pick Two Weapon Fighting as your Fighting Style.
You can start with
Two Scimitars
Better saving throws in Strength / Con
Leather Armour + Longbow and 20 arrows
Second Wind

It's a very good tradeoff for the rogue capstone.

>Unbalance magic users

This is when I knew for sure you were trolling.

Just ask your DM to switch short sword training for scimtar. They are worse than short swords anyway.

Every class has 2-3 subclasses and also some additional options to choose from now. And yes, that makes dex-fighers, dex-barbarians and sometimes even dex-paladins very possible. Also Str-Bards.

No skill points, no saving throw progression tables, no base attack bonuses. All of that is rolled into 'proficiency bonus' - you add it and corresponding ability to stuff your class/character is proficient with, and just ability if you don't.

Casters are less broken thanks to concentration mechanic - most ongoing buffs/debuffs require concentration, and you can concentrate only on one spell at a time. But they are still broken (at levels 11+ at the very least).

PCs aren't Magic Item Christmas Trees anymore - most good items require attunement, and you can attune only to 3 items at a time.

Races have no ability penalties - generally one +2 and one +1.

In addition to Race and Class you have Background - generally it's your character's before he started adventuring. It gives a couple of skill proficiencies, a tool or a language, and some starting equipment.

Combat is a bit less restrictive - you don't need feats to move-attack-move, Finesse is a weapon property, not a feat, etc. No more 'full action, standard action, swift action, move action, free action' - now there's just action, move and bonus action, you can do each one once per round, nothing is interchangeable.

Feats are optional and are much more powerful than 3.5s.

That should probably be enough for you for starters. Good luck with your game, friend!

Actually don't know much about it other than it is one of the few survivors of a war before people so it's hard to say. It also had a treasure hoard that could crash the world economy. DM's making us figure out the whole thing about the war and how it relates to what's happening today. Trickery didn't seem great for a one level dip.

I love having expertise so I might go Knowledge. Forge seems the most practical if boring for a 1 lvl dip.

that's a damn good answer

Problem is he DOES. The players decided to make a large campaign out of helping this frontier town led by this half orc. People let him lead because of his hard work - he was essentially elected by the people in the village.

Another issue is that the party is very much thrown into dangerous combat very every single time, but character in question is a squishy unarmoured Rogue who has a now and a short sword, and doesn't exactly seem like a good fighter.

I could make less combat heavy quests, but since the other players are all combat monsters, they'd likely be a bit annoyed considering they barely have any out-of-combat utility.

This seems like the most manageable course of action, thanks. I just don't want PCs to dash out towards another continent outside my expectations and have them find an unfinished mess due to improper planning.

I will focus on building a content dense area that grows from there though

Who here is hyped for Chult?

Trying to build a rogue archetype about ghost friendship, after one of my players had a weirdly charming reaction to being possessed for a while.

Need advice, criticism, ideas, fresh eyes.

It's written up here, but this is a first pass: homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/ryQy_RhmlZ

DM taking us through a dungeon right now. I'm enjoying it okay but it's really long. We play 3 hours a week and are a month in. The other members of our group are losing interest entirely. According to the DM we are 1/3 of the way done with the dungeon. I don't know if my group will keep playing if they have to put up with it that much longer.

Any advice I can give my DM for this problem?

>3 months in one dungeon
Are you in the underdark or something?

I know that feel, user, spend 1.5 months in a dungeon recently, only got out one session ago. Can't really offer any advice.

It's some pyramid. He thinks it will be 9 more weeks he just told me.

>9 more weeks
mfw. My DM handled this the Darkest Dungeon sort of way - there are a couple of megadungeons in the adventure, but when we go to them, we don't clear them fully - we only clear the first floor or something, before returning to town to do some other stuff. At later levels, we are supposed to return to this dungeon and clear the second one, and the whole story is structured to allow this to happen and make sense.

For the 3rd level feature, I'd make it so that things the familiar is carrying don't turn invisible. More comedic value and less cheese.

Suite Life's game was surprisingly good as well

Out of the abyss sucks

How so?

Lightly suggest to him the possibility of returning to the surface or even breaking up the monotony of dungeon crawling by coming across a small campsite in the pyramid where graverobbers got lost and set up shop or something. 9 straight weeks of combat isn't fun.

Would you play a character in a world where there was no sun, or massive source of light, and the only things that made the fabric of reality work are things that create light and reveal what was around them? Maybe like massive "sun stones" or something that where carted across the land in huge ox-carts or some shit, or any caster who took the Light cantrip.

I made post in the last thread ( ) regarding the whole light vs sunlight thing, and it got my head swimming with ideas.

I want shaman to become a class like the one that came in the oriental adventure book for 3rd ed.

Sounds neat, though I can't help but imagine that all major cities and major roads and trading routes would already have sunstones set up along/around them. Would only factor in the wilderness and dirt roads etc. Aside from that, the Overdark does sound at least interesting.

I would be a stout halfling mushroom farmer, tending his crops.

You're going to be waiting a while. Subclasses in November and it's Artificer and Mystic after that, which will probably be a year or more after the subclasses. Maybe they'll UA a shaman at some point.

Is the resilient feat any good for casters, as a dwarf mine has high con anyways but proficiency would be nice

Would this fuck any classes over? I know some rely on darkness, but do any rely on light?

I prefer it to warcaster as con saves can come up a lot, but it's a boring feat

shame the idea of the class seems cool.

It may be boring, but as far as practicality goes it seems fine

I could see the environment becoming very interesting because of this. Assuming the sunstones work like our sun. Cities would be covered in flowers and trees and foliage on practically every available surface, roads are just strips of bright green grass reaching from town to town flanked on all sides by dirty mushy or hardened soil with nothing but mushrooms in it. Farmers are actually the richest members of society, as they needed to purchase a sunstone as well as selling the rarest, most sought after foods like corn and potatoes. Hunters needing to be exceptionally skilled to hunt creatures in the darkness, creatures that have adapted to the environment and so aren't just a typical deer or rabbit.

There's a lot to play with there.

Whats the quickest way to burn through a dragon's legendary resistance

First of all i'd like to question why this is an archetype. If the rogue has made friends with a ghost, why not make that ghost an NPC? Maybe it joins them on the adventure. That way you could roleplay it and dictate what it can and can't do. An ally is a boon for sure, but not every thing the PC's get need be from their class.

However, if this situation is more of a path they wish to persue I have this feedback. If you look at the Warlock, it's Pact of the Chain gives an improved find familiar, which is what we want. The highest CR creature from that is CR 1. Now the only undead that fits these requirements and is ghost-like is the Specter (MM.279), however it is medium, So you would have to be fine with that, or refluff its size. Another option is the Will-O-Wisp (MM.301), a CR 2 creature, but a bit more in line and familiar-y, plus you could easily refluff it as a ghost.

The next thing to keep in mind is Rogue archetypes get two 3rd level features. While the familiar provides a crunch benefit (free sneak attack partner), a 'ribbon' feature is also needed, just a small, non-combat feature. Maybe they can get emotional readings off objects, something like that.

Next is the 9th level ability. I believe familiars act on the owners turn but have thair own actions, so it might be simpler to state that it know thaumaturgy and can cast it.

The 13th level feature is nice, but just remind the player familiars cant go more than 100 feet from them.

The last feature is a bit wonky to me. An easier solution would be to make it like a paladin capstone ability. Perhaps you allows your familiar to possess you, gain a bunch of benefits for 1 minute. You know like, walk through walls etc etc.

Just my two cents.

Contagion.

Isn't that a touch spell?

Yes. What are you, a pussy?

I am, but my character isn't

>He doesn't slap dragons on the ass when he fights then

Fag

I second Contagion, Slimy Doom variant, delivered through a familiar or Trickery cleric's duplicate, if you are not into touching scales. That's at the very least 3 rounds worth of a stunned dragon, and it most probably will have to burn a couple of those resistances.

Cause it to make saving throws? If you have a someone with extra attack maybe poisoned arrows so it has to make a bunch quickly. You just need it to fail throws and choose no succeed. But then the DM might play it smart and not succeed the first three it fails.

Is there an UA coming out today?

Why are casters so shit at low levels? No, seriously, casters deal much less damage (clerics, moondruids and warlock are good though), literally everyone passes ST, low HP, useless (bards as the only exception), few slots (warlocks habe a huge problem with this)...

Why play casters if your game isn't over level 5? Especially sorcerers

Because as you get to higher levels it becomes the opposite

I meant useless skills, only bards get good ones

Monk. 3 saving throws or be stunned per turn. 4 if you spend more Ki. Some enemies are immune to stun though

Utility.

Utility and Control. Not single-target damage. Learn to play them.
I saw a bard substitute for tank.
I saw wizards fuck up whole set-piece encounters before they started.
I saw weak-ass sorcerer pull out so many tricks outside of combat it blew swaths of DM's plot away.
I saw warlocks kite mooks, and I saw them doing a heroic last stand.
Everything is possible, because it's all magic.

>Why play casters if your game isn't over level 5? Especially sorcerers

Causes casters can cast fucking magic man! It's not all about damage and shit. The fact that a warlock with thaumaturgy can scare the piss out of some peasants ruffians looking to scrap with the PC's at level 2 is more powerful then the fighter's steel sword lopping off the ehad of a single giant spider. As a DM I would totally award experience for a well played magical spell to advance the story or end an encounter.

And, because magic missile doesn't miss.

What's a nice way to optimize the Huntah?

Be black, collect welfare.

Dex fighters are good if you want to use a bow/crossbow. Magic users are a not as imbalanced as in previous additions, lore wizard being the exception.

Alright, I've decided I wanna shipwreck my party to start off their adventure..

Is this a bad idea? How do I make them not feel cheated about their possessions and shit? Did they hold on to them all perfectly? Did part of the ship's hold survive with their shit in it? Do they lose it all cause fuck them?

Crates floated to shore with all the stuff they need