WIP - Work In Progress General

No WIP thread on Veeky Forums?!? Emperor's Teeth! That's HERESY!!!

>Citadel Painting Guides:
mediafire.com/folder/drb4mezm6792i/not_citadel_nothing_to_see_here

>Figure painter magazine issues 1-36
mega.nz/#F!0AIGDAxL!xOT6MK3oiGpBB1pQaNy5lg

>Paint range compatibility chart across manufacturers
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart

>Painting Videos only
mega.nz/#F!fkcliY4L!mhdmIs2lT3mFG3VwoLO8Qw
mega.nz/#F!XEJSFDCL!9ZZKiLi6M_wguI1uTpyjPg
mega.co.nz/#F!WUsUlSLb!556OumKLhusFd9Fw5dBMdA

>DIY Lightbox
youtube.com/watch?v=OyxzC5kqbyw

>DIY Spraybooth
starshipmodeler.com/tech/pa_booth.htm

>DIY Wet Palette
youtube.com/watch?v=96mjmqWTPfM

>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Stripping Paint (yes, the ellipses are part of the URL!)
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>Priming With Acrylic Gesso
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Priming_With_Acrylic_Gesso

>Green Stuff Casting
fromthewarp.blogspot.com/2011/11/molding-and-casting-shoulderpads.html
masteroftheforge.com/2012/05/21/rubber-molds-green-stuff/
masteroftheforge.com/2012/07/17/green-stuff-cast-shoulder-pad/

>On the consequences of insufficient ventilation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

>In Mankind's darkest hour, new heroes rise
youtube.com/watch?v=qYGrIBpE2PI&index=1&list=PLEaPE4sLDA7uq91iOuAUyP2mrBaSOAsv-

>Previous Threads:

Other urls found in this thread:

games-workshop.com/en-GB/Sigmarite-Mausoleum-2017
myredditnudes.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Well I finished up a Shadow War Armageddon Inquisition kill team. Now that 8th is out I was thinking about expanding it out to a full army.

I looked up the rules and I can take Crusader squads to get storm shields, but they can only have Power Swords. I threw this guy together with a skitarii taser as a counts as, since I don't like the idea of riot police with swords, even in 40k. The Acolyte squads can have most of the special weapons and pistols and close combat weapons, I'm not sure how I want to outfit them. Flamers seem cool, meltaguns and plasma too.

What bits are you using they look great

>Humans using stormbolters
Boneitis for everyone!

Thanks, they're from all over. The arms and legs are Scions, the torsos are Scions and regular guard, the pauldrons are Sisters of Silence, heads are Skitarii, shields are Custodes, Mauls are Genestealer Cult and Skitarii.

Getting my count-as chimera forward one bit at a time. Now with a turret.

Those are oretty swert ass looking dudes.

I don't think anyone would have a problem with taser batons/shock clubs being used as power swords

Also man, buying that many SoS shoulders has got to add up. It looks great but geez.

My buddy bought like three each of the HH board game and Talons of the Emporer. The kits come with a few extra pauldrons plus some you can cut off of the arms they're attached to.

That looks pretty good mate

From the other side.

Thanks user!

Is this for Blood Axes?

Finished the Chaopel-Rhino for my Word Bearers. Only have my phone here, so the shitty imagequality will have to do for now.

No, for IG regiment Argo Brigade.

Do you mind if I ask what pieces you used for it? I'm a fan of asymmetrical design.

That's dead sexy! Do all you can to prevent Knights from stepping on it. That seems to be a thing around here.

i knew this would trigger some people

Ah, that makes sense I guess. I look forward to seeing more of those dudes. My inquisitor's army has been immensely satisfying to work on.

That knight is so pretty. I wish he still posted.

Actually I just shortened Tamiya's 1/35 model for Marder 1A2. It is almsot perfect size compared to Chimera in widht amd height but its over 20 cm long so had to shorten it quite a bit.

Also all the bits I used came in with the model.

o/

how the hell do i highlight this wip?

painted this years ago but never finished it.

I'm bad at highlights anyways

usually when people do camo patterns they undershade the model and the camo splotches are done with very transparent layers. but for that thing idk it's gonna be a lot of differnt paints

>undershading.

tell me more.

>Finished the Chaopel-Rhino for my Word Bearers
>Rhino
>all that work & magnificent paintjob for a Rhino
>a 35 points model

You better be having a special custom game scenario for it where it summons daemons throughout the game, or I will be really pissed.

But honestly, a stellar fucking job, I'm loving every bit of it.

basically how it works in your case is that if the base color is green, you do all the highlights and shadows on the green layer and all the sucessive camo colors will be transparent so the highlights and shadows show through on the new colors.

hmm i might try it out. this was only a one off. most of my other vehicles have a much broader camo scheme so its not to hard. I just wanted to try digital camo.

now i realize that may have been a lot of work for not much payoff since it looks so flat from a distance

I can't believe how hard my cock is right now, thank you user. Seriously though, that looks fucking epic as hell.
Brings back the memories of 3rd and 4th edition CSM, you could actually field a rhino like this back then.

Brilliant! Did the little mausoleum need any conversion work or did it easily just sit straight on top of the rhino? I might borrow this idea for a Black Templar Chaplain rhino

Dont worry user its almost 75 points now :D

Where did that mausoleum come from in the first place?

GWs Mausoleum terrain set for AoS.
games-workshop.com/en-GB/Sigmarite-Mausoleum-2017

>Sigmarite mausoleum
>not
>Garden of moor

Nagash ate Morr

It's indeed no longer a Garden of Morr, but this version is larger (double the sprues I believe).

For painting Thousand Sons, should I spray them blue then brushpaint the gold, or vice versa?

It's probably easier to start with Blue and pick out the raised areas in gold than trying to fill in the areas between the gold with blue.

Any tips on getting a skin tone similar to the the 5e goblins?

Awesome. Did you finish the land raider?

Black? Apperently?

Yeah, my phone tarded out. Their skin is a yellowish orange

>Prime army painter Demonic Yellow
>Wash twice with Thrakka Green
>Dillute Carrisburg Crimson with 50/50 Lahamean Medium and paint to tips of noses

>yellowish orange
Are you talking about dungeon and dragons or what?
Seriously dude, I have no idea what you are getting at.

I first assumed you meant goblins from WHFB, but the only orange flavor of gobbos from there were firegoblins that were mentioned only once in a WD article about different goblin tribes.

I've tried what Duncan recommended, gold and then blue onto the flat panels and such, so much easier than the other way around. As long as you're a little careful it makes the job much less difficult.

D&D gobs. Their skin is a yellowish orange in the new artwork.

Sup guys, maybe you can give me some ideas for this.

I am looking for something to use as subtle cheap display bases for my showcase stuff.

It should be round, about 35mm diameter and no more than 30mm in height.

Something along the lines of pic related, but I need it solid and smooth, preferably wood or plastic.

Any ideas?

Great job, it looks good and somehow manages to fit the 40k style of squat, blocky vehicles.

I painted today my first figure. Had fun despite that my stormcast eternal looks a little bit like morpheus.

Next time I will paint at my gw shop so they can give me some tipps.

>1. basecoat with yellowy orange
>2. sepia colored wash
>3. highlight with skin color + yellowy white (to keep things saturated)
>4. ???
>5. BREE-YARK!

give him a nuln oil wash matey, looks decent for a first model though.

As long as you had fun, that's all that matters user. From what I can tell your lines aren't too messy. Just work on brush control and picking up techniques and you'll be good.

I just bought my first airbrush.

What kind of water should I be putting through it? I'm guessing tap water generally has too much calcium and crap which will clog the workings. Do I need to buy de-ionised water or will a britta filter do the trick?

yea just use some Voss water and in a sprinkling of activated almonds

epileptic seizure/10

Are you memeing or serious

The pic related, works great with citadel paints as well as vallejo.
I'd also recommend taking a few sips while painting, just to make sure you stay hydrated.

kek

dont do this, this water smells worst than it tastes, and your breath will suffer the consequences.

Slowly but surely finishing this guy up.

GLORIOUS!

God fucking dammit user

Thanks. Still need to add either bolter or flamer to front panel.

That's a lot of holes.

If you're using water, yes, distilled only (you're correct, calcium & whatever else is floating around in tapwater is bad in the long run). You're not limited to water though; I've heard of people using wimdshield wiper fluid (which is essentially grain alcohol).

I still need to give him some details & fix some stuff but thanks!
Thanks I will!

well i'll be damned, user. you actually managed to make this look somewhat presentable!

Thanks a lot guys. It was my second Word Bearer vehicle and a blast to work on, Im really glad you like it. It wasnt very hard to put together. Needs some greenstuff around the the chapel part and the pulpit was some cutwork, but I think the candles were the only part where you really need to "sculpt".

Yes I did and I think ill post some shitty pics of it later.

I know right. Im quite supprised aswell it came out this good. Still need to add few things and then I can get it painted.

A jump pack Chaplain for my Silver Skulls assault squad.
Suggestions for improvement?
I'm thinking of some script on the parchment, perhaps.

>Suggestions for improvement?

Is this the original metal model, or the Finecast replacement?

I would've drilled out the barrel of his bolt pistol, but I understand your reluctance to do so with such a snazzy model (being newer, it's one of the ones I don't have).

>I'm thinking of some script on the parchment, perhaps.

I use Sakura Micron pens for that kind of stuff.

Looking for Tau Empire Painting Guide Armies of Expansion and Cult Mechanicus Painting Guide Crusaders of the Machine God. Have the following to share if anyone wants:

Blood Angels Painting Guide - Sons of Sanguinius.pdf
Dark Eldar Paiting Guide - Raiders of Commorragh.pdf
Harlequins Paiting Guide - Warriors of the Laughing.pdf
Skitarii Painting Guide - Legions of the Omnissiah.pdf
Space Wolves Painting Guide - Companies of Fenris.pdf
Tyranids Painting Guide - Invasion Swarms.pdf

this kinda want's me to recreate it

not bad for your first time

i would highlight the skull a bit more. it should be the central point of focus and for that its a bit too dark and too similar to your parchment. other than that i really like it. your black looks clean and your cloth smooth. maybe the metal needs a bit of depth. a light glaze here and there could help.

May want to check the 40k general for those, I think one of the troves has a bunch of painting guides

It's the original metal guy. Can I drill metal easily? I've got a pin vice, but I've only used that for drilling through plastic.
And thanks for the micron pen suggestion!

Upcoming Revenant King

Oh and btw ...shuld I try to get his eyes gleeming greenish?

A pin vise should work fine on metal models.
Assuming you have HSS drill bits, and most pin vices come with these as standard, then you're good to go to drill into metal.

More work on the skull is a good idea. I painted it exactly the same as the parchment, so making it more bone-like, and less papery, sounds good.
Thank you!

Awesome, I'm glad to hear that the vise can work on metal. Drilling, here I come!

What this guy said

>Can I drill metal easily? I've got a pin vice

Yes. Before you begin, take the sharp end of your hobby knife and dig out a divot in the end of the pistol's barrel. Place the tip of the bit into the divot as you drill. This will serve as a "guide" (similar to a pilot hole when you're putting screws in wood) so your drill bit won't rip the pistol to shreds.

that's a Wight King

isn't this the tank that got sawed in half and everyone lost their shit over it? not bad.

I play Kings of War ... and there it is a Revenant King :^)

Here it is. My Church Raider in all its grainy splendor!
All in all it took almost three months from start to finish. This beast was the biggest project I have ever completed, and I really hope you guys like it.

stronger edge highlights on the black. eyes need to be brightened up a bit and the facial skull looks too dark.

Whoa

that's pretty dope

nice

Best Land Raider i ever saw, jawdropping!

I wanna recreate that too
but I doubt it would be look as awesome

>hope you guys like it.

How could we not? It's fantastic - the spiritual successor to great minds like John Blanche applied using 21st-century techniques and aesthetics. Well done!

Also, it does kinda have that "Wacky Races" vibe, to which I am partial.

Dude, that is rad as fuck.

Looks dope, also congrats on Land raiders looking much much scarier in 8th ed.