Kamigakari Thread

Monday morning edition.

Advice? Questions? Need help with a theme? Need some monsters ASAP? DMing or player advice? We got it all!

Baseline stuff
mediafire.com/file/183vmgy8b3w1uj3/Kamigakari.rar

Expansions and errata
pastebin.com/u/RoyalTeaRed

Google Docs Character sheet (for if you play online)
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1xY5uiJleOpnlh93SGLq2_iKteOFZnlMH1X-MtEDsWsw/edit#gid=0

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=fPDm5n163Hg
overlordmaruyama.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Monsters),
onepunchman.wikia.com/wiki/Mysterious_Beings
bloodc.wikia.com/wiki/Old_Ones
toriko.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Beasts
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

So to start out, i did some looking into stats and health for mononoke.

Long story short, there's almost no correlation.

The one trend i noticed in the ones i looked at is that health jumps up post 5. Like my previous assumption about stats, its probably to do with you gaining a high talent at this level.

That said, the low health numbers on base mononoke aren't an issue, as they gain 100 each from aramitama and boss templates, between levels 1-5. This gets higher as the levels do.

So health is okay to just spitball.

Next thing i'm going to look into is damages on skills, and various skill effects.

Normally, health is decided by STR+Wil+(Lvx3), Plus the modifier from your main style.

Unfortunately, mononoke basically don't have a style, and the closest ones to having one are pretty far off the mark for their assumed health.

So in summation, Health is bullshit. Anything below 50 is legit for below level 4 ish, and from there it jumps up every couple levels by 10-20. level 6's have in the 80's just for humans.

So far as Armor/Barrier stats for mononoke goes, this is much easier.

SImply put, they are rarely above 5, and even more rarely above 10. you can basically do with this what you will, and its almost a useless stat for mononoke, barring the ones that have 5+.

And thats the end of my findings For the moment.

So back to helping people with characters, scenario's, rules, or whatever else y'all need.

Even if it's eyeballing, you at least gave us some ranges for Health and three rankings for useful armor. I kinda figured at least half the creation would be haphazard. JTRPG usually always have some of that, from what we've seen so far. Still, we can go from the existing chassis and either build on it or add mathematical unification, just making sure to tell people the game creator eyeballs it. Right?

Or it may even be found, as Kamigakari user translates the Mononoke for other books that the Armor and Health got more formulaic later?

Regardless, great work so far! I started adding more potential Mononoke pictures to my Kami art stash so I can decide what to stat for future games and even started making a list of types of shops, businesses, etc. found in the area around Tokyo to see if I could scrounge up enough ideas for a d66 chart.

For armor/barrier, the value's are so low, even for higher level mononoke, that its not really worth figuring out.

Mononoke tend to rely more on talents for defense than sheer stats like a player will. If they are meant to be defensive, they will use half talents, rather than boosting stats. Which makes my kappa a bit peculiar, but thats neither here nor there.

So far as health though, i looked at health value's for all humans, not just 1-5. There's no rhyme or reason whatsoever. I imagine mechanical are slightly more tanky than the rest, but in all the regular health value's are pretty low over all. I can give a couple other categories a glance, but i imagine it will be much the same, if not worse since they definitely have nothing resembling a style.

Thanks. Once i get around to it, i think i had a neat idea for tanuki/kitsune. Since they'd share much the same stats, being magically inclined tricksters, i'm probably just going to do one entry for them that people can alter a bit as needed.

After that is berserk, and as for sachiel. Well. Thats actually pretty boring. Its a really basic humanoid. The only interesting thing is its AT field and thats just a half talent in kamigakari terms.

Also, you need idea's to fill a D66 chart for tokyo? Watch anime. There are anime that take place entirely in small segments of tokyo, like DRRR or Akiba's trip

Small off topic for any art poster anons, We need more stuff with a more defensive or supporty vibe.

We've got a lot of offensive and weird stuff, but very little has been posted on the subject of support and defense types.

Woops.

Is this closer to what you are looking for? I can find casters like these, if so.

Good start, yeah. We have a bit too many with focus on weapons, so anything with a supporty or defensive feel.

To put it in MMO terms, we need less DPS, more tank and heals.

A lot of tanky stuff is usually knights though.

Anyways, on tanuki/kitsune, here's a quick write-up.

>Tanuki/Kitsune/ Class:Beast/ Lvl 2
>Size: 0
>Wits: clever
>Speech: yes
>reaction: mercurial
>Id: 10
>Weaknesses: [Fire] [Cold]
>Movement: walk

> | ACC | EVA | CNJ | RES | CHK
>{Combat Stats} | 2 | 2 | 8 | 5 | 3
>{Fixed Values} | 9 | 9 | 15 | 12 | 10

>Initiative: 7(3)
>HP: 37
>Armor: 0
>Barrier: 3

>Attack Methods
>[Weapon Attack]: Magical Attack / 7 Sq. / 1# / Cancel
>- 2d6+15 magical damage to the target. If transformed, Physical damage instead.

>«Poof!»: Prep / User/ User
>- The target changes class and size from [Beast] [Size:0] to [Humanoid] [Size:2]. ACC and EVA Values are switched with CNJ and RES Respectively. Armor switched with Barrier. Magical damage switched with physical Damage on weapon attack, range changed to [Engaged]. 1/round

>«Are you sure about that?»: Attack / 2sq/ 1#/ Half (Magic only)
>- Roll 1d100. 1-49 is 2d6+17 Physical damage, 50-100 is 2d6+17 magical damage 1/round

>«I'm over here!»: Defense / 4sq/ User
>- Use on damage reduction. Target Installs up to 4 squares away, evading an attack without needing to roll. 1/combat

>Materials
>0~4 None
>5~9 Tanuki fur/Kitsune fur/Int+1 500g (Potency:1)
>10+ Tanuki Leaf/Kitsune Tail/ Int+2 1000G (Potency: 2)

Description
Tanuki: A playful trickster known for its pranks and ability to transform things with leaves. Their personalities range from childlike to outright sadistic. There are some... unsavory details to them that we won't expound upon here.
Kitsune: Tricky fox spirits with a knack for transformation and trickery. Anywhere from innocent prankster to malicious god, kitsune span a wide range of personalities, All of them unduly clever. The amount of tails a kitsune has is an indicator of its overall power. Kitsune with nine are considered equal even to gods.

And BAM. Low level tanuki and kitsune. At that level they are way too similar, so i made a singular entry for both.

I hope that ones adequate. I tried to encompass their trickery in a game that doesn't really do that very well, so i might have gone overboard on their talents

Looking good to me and highly usable. What about some sort of disguise mimicry like they both seem to use?

Adding more illusion/teleport attacks might be appropriate for higher level kitsune and higher defensive/wrestling ability for higher level tanuki would differentiate the two if you wanted to try something mid or higher range.

Thanks for the work so far. I was going to suggest the Hollows from Bleach, the witches and keshin from Soul Eater and Akuma from D. Grey Man as other Mononoke from anime if you were looking for other suggestions.

The God Eater and Monster Hunter will be a sweet spot, though, with almost a full bestiary for each to pillage.

thats what "Poof!" is. They switch between a human and animal form.

So far as suggestions, i was gonna do the berserk guys next, assuming they are plausible enough. I was gonna do sachiel, but its so damn baseline you could increase a shard prisoners stats and size some and give it an AT field and call it done.

Now, the witches from soul eater, thats an interesting one. Not so much the kishin. To random, not really anything that can be pinned down. Only once did he use something akin to an actual attack.

The Akuma from D.Greyman aren't actually a bad suggestion either. Good segway into some mechanical stuff as well.

Personally, I find it easier to find fantasy anime that fits in the theme of Kami.

Can some kind anons do a nice drop of modern characters to help me out with getting rid of the total fantasy feel and bring out the urban modern anime look that haven't been posted (archived all those)?

I know heroic spirits and scions and such are fine with a epic fantasy look, but lots of choices are good.

I have a couple, the resolution on a few of them isn't great but I'll post em.

You've actually posted a fair amount of schoolgirls and such in the past.

Oh, i like this one. She's a cutie.

You should probably specify that the Mononoke can turn into any gender, size or general build of a human with any variety of base features of their animal type they wish and can extend this transformation for 24 hours without reversion, maybe?

Too much detail, and this can all be assumed from fluff. Or refluffed into it. As it stands, theres no timer on it. It can only be used once per round though.

Keep in mind, i need to keep the abilities concise and simple. Too much detail and we'd basically be playing 3.Pf

I suppose I have. My Pinterest is large and I lost track of posts. I'm trying to figure out what bases we haven't covered well.

Looking for front-line, armored fighters showed me so many fantasy characters I hoped there wasn't a bias

True, I wasn't assuming fluff

Thats the glorious thing about kamigakari.

Fluff can be used to right off details like that and keep it down to the simple crunch. Your players aren't stupid. They can make assumptions based on the facts in front of them. Go ahead and let them, and keep shit simple.

Its really cool.

So area affects EVERY enemy within range, and not just enemies engage with the original enemy target, correct? The rules are slightly unclear about that.

You pick an engagement within range of the attack. You hit every enemy in that engagement, and no enemies that are outside that engagement.

Just in case there is confusion, there is no friendly fire. You can safely aim your magical nuke at the back of your friends head without worry of him being caught up in it.

Unless you are a traitorous dickface, in which it can also blow his ass up if you so wish.

Thank you for clarifying.

There are 2 different versions of Shadowstrike in the pdf right now, and they have 2 variations in their description. One where they're explaining how to read talents, and the other one is in the normal style section for Darkhunter.

One says "use while active" and the other says "use on active check".

We ran into problems when comparing it to talents that activate effects when using another talent that has the modifier "use on active check", so we weren't sure which reading of the talent was correct.

This may have been pointed out already, but I figured I'd throw it out there.

Yup, there's errors abound like that alas. The errata document in the pastebin in explains some of it. Essentially, 'use on Active Check' is expressly for things that raise active check values. Attacks should be "Use While Active." In fact I'm thinking I'm going to change the latter to "Use While Acting" just to distance it a bit further.

I'm working on 2.0...! It'll be fixed, I swear!

Thanks for all your hard work!

Take your time, dude. No rush.

A good job comes from a steady pace.

I know that aramitama, kushimitama, and sakimitama exist in setting in some form or another. But what about nigimitama?

Nigimitama exist as rulers of sanctums, if memory serves.

wait, nope. I'm fucking retarded, i checked.

Nigimitama are the other name for the Divine soul race.

Fuck me, i think i just found out where the "Abominable Bar-like thing" comes from.

its a god damned reference to "haiyoru! nyaruko-san" and her fucking crowbar. She says almost verbatum "This? Its some kind of unspeakable bar thing". See pic related.

I feel like an idiot for having missed that reference all this time. Damned Rikizou and his Anime references.

Wish id noticed that sooner

Oh wow! Nice catch. I haven't really watched it ever so I wasn't aware of that. Does it show up in a specific episode?

First episode, little over halfway in.

Rather, it appears in almost every episode at some level, but its first appearance was in ep 1, after shanta the weird hippo bat thing get its shit slapped.

Given how buried balls deep this game is into anime, I'm not surprised. Theres probably tons of references in the powers alone.

Gonna get outside the youkai of japan here, and get into the media of it.

>Slan/Class:Chaos/Lv:8
>Size:2
>Wits: Clever
>Senses: Magic
>Speech: Yes
>Reaction: Mercurial
>ID: 13
>Weakness: [Light] [Cold]
>Movement: Walk・Flight

| ACC | EVA | CNJ | RES | CHK
{Combat Stats} | 5 | 7 | 3 | 11 | 15
{Fixed Values} | 12 | 14 | 10 | 18 | 22

>Initiative:12 (6)
>HP:90
>Armor:5
>Barrier:5

>Attack Methods
>[Weapon Attack]: Special Attack / 4 Sq. / 1#
>- [Form: Ranged] 3d6+27 physical damage to the target. [Additional Effect]: Change an [Attack Action] to a [Special Attack]. 1/Combat.

>«Summon Monster»: Start
>- The target [Installs] a summoned monster Into any square within [Range: 7 Sq.] 2/Combat.

>«Teleportation»: Start or Defense / User
>- The target [Installs] into any square within [Range: 7 Sq.] If used with defense timing act as if an evasion check succeeded. 1/Round.

>«See Causality»: Constant / User
>- Target makes a CHK roll instead of an ACC or EVA roll to avoid damage. Treat [Resist:Half] As if [Resist:Cancel] 1/round

>Materials
>1~8: Slan Wing/Special +3 1500G (Potency: 3)
>9+: Tentacled hair/ Int +3 1500G (Potency: 3)

And bam. Slan from berserk, as Hoi Asked for. I'm thinking i'll continue making mononoke at a rate of 1-2 per day, Unless someone needs one urgently. I ain't gonna do the description for this one because frankly its easier to just go read the wiki. Due to the nature of the character, i tried to spitball a slightly higher level than what i've done the math for.

Its not so much that i'm surprised by it, and more pissed that i missed the reference. I'd seen that anime before, so i shoulda had some inkling back when that other user from several threads ago asked for it.

New topic, what Anime specific references have you guys found?

Aside from the type-moon ones and , Have you found anything that can be attributed to a single series?

I know Kyubei from madoka magica is a baseline mononoke, as an example.

Stat

Rapeman

Gotta a wiki article or somethin?

I need a bit more info than that.

youtube.com/watch?v=fPDm5n163Hg

Great job, user. I'm finding lots of anime with a variety of monsters like Overlord (overlordmaruyama.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Monsters), but they just don't have a wide spread of abilities or they are beaten too quickly in the anime or manga.

At least the Mysterious Beings from One Punch have a wide variety of abilities, most should be easy to model in Kami:

onepunchman.wikia.com/wiki/Mysterious_Beings

okay, this was amazing. Not sure if i can actually do something with it, but i'll give it some thought.

Yeah, OPM did a lot for characterizing both the heroes and villains.

Maybe you can find something good to convert in the Old Ones (protagonists from Blood-C):

bloodc.wikia.com/wiki/Old_Ones

And the Beasts from Toriko may be even more interesting since they have well described and varied powers:

toriko.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Beasts

Toriko has the benefit of Materials being listed as well, so that's a bonus

This is true.

Y'know, i never really liked the blood series. Something about it just made it seem convoluted and poorly paced.

Pacing is really slow and the music didn't help. Probably do need some vamps, though, and some kinda shifter beast other than the tricksters so I suggested Blood series. I can't remember the name, but there was a much better vamp anime last season.

Bloodivores was the damn name. Anyway, fangs should be around some where in homebrew.

Support type characters

Tanks and front-liners

Is this game like Double Cross

I've seen people compare it, though i couldn't tell you as i've never used double cross.

Kamigakari user would know more on that.

Thats a lot of art. Good job dude

Double Cross has rules and a setting supporting super powered shonen teens trying to keep their humanity to stop themselves from becoming the mutated powered once-humans destined to battle them as well

Kamigakari was described in an old user response as:

It is a mashup of every "modern urban fantasy" anime, LN and manga you can think about. Superpowered human hunting for supernatural threats and disturbances? Check. Secret societies like the Church, Mage Association, Demon Hunters, megacrops, assassins groups etc.? Check. Supernatural critters and more powerful beings hidden in the confluxes of ley lines? Check. Powerful beings spwaned from negative emotions and the malice of humanity, wishing for universal destruction and signing dark pacts with normal people? Check. "Most of the mythology is true, magic exists" premise? Check. Lots of random mythological names and artifacts appearing? Check. Focus on young characters and the option being descendant from gods/vampires/mage lineges/kitsune/whatever? Check. Magical girls, henshin heroes, shadowbending assassins, mages uploading their spells to smartphones? Check. Lots of generally weeb/chuuni shit like magical circles, sigils appearing on your body (including eyes!), secret techniques, fighting inside "barriers" (mirror dimensions ala Doctor Strange Movie) and oversized weapons? Check, of course! Hell, there are even Heroic Spirits in the expansions.

Overall, it is not original at the least but it is also kinda fun in its simplicity. It's a kitchen sink of anime tropes and Japanese modern fantasy so if you like that you should recognize most elements pretty quickly.

Kamigakari, described really well by another user:

It is a mashup of every "modern urban fantasy" anime, LN and manga you can think about. Superpowered human hunting for supernatural threats and disturbances? Check. Secret societies like the Church, Mage Association, Demon Hunters, megacrops, assassins groups etc.? Check. Supernatural critters and more powerful beings hidden in the confluxes of ley lines? Check. Powerful beings spwaned from negative emotions and the malice of humanity, wishing for universal destruction and signing dark pacts with normal people? Check. "Most of the mythology is true, magic exists" premise? Check. Lots of random mythological names and artifacts appearing? Check. Focus on young characters and the option being descendant from gods/vampires/mage lineges/kitsune/whatever? Check. Magical girls, henshin heroes, shadowbending assassins, mages uploading their spells to smartphones? Check. Lots of generally weeb/chuuni shit like magical circles, sigils appearing on your body (including eyes!), secret techniques, fighting inside "barriers" (mirror dimensions ala Doctor Strange Movie) and oversized weapons? Check, of course! Hell, there are even Heroic Spirits in the expansions.

Double Cross is a game of shadowy conspiracies and teen super powered shonen-inspired characters using their powers before going insane and becoming the mutated monsters that are driven to fight them

Along with having a wider selection of characters and a broader, more epic storyline also has more fluid rules for combat and choices in build choices during character creation

I have a question!

Our GM plans to run a Kamigakari game that splits the action and slice-of-life highschool stuff down the middle in terms of importance, and the group has noted that Kamigakari's skill system is very simplistic in comparison to its combat. The GM in particular doesn't like how the base stat is the only thing that's added to a skill check, since it doesn't allow someone to specialize.

Does anyone have suggestions for making skills more in-depth, or adding more to a skill check than just the base stat?

That said, I don't mean to sell Double Cross short, its a great game and just has a tighter focus on shonen super heroes. It does the angst teen character found in manga and anime very well and I've enjoyed playing it a lot in the past. It remains very popular in Japan and has a huge following.

KamigakariAnon and the helpful anons in these threads covering his translation work have shown me that this game is closer to the kitchensink anime style I like in both my media and my games, something I've always wanted to play and run, so I show a little bias

This is more a case where roleplay beats rollplay.

You can go entire games without using maneuvers if your GM doesn't think about it.

One thing your GM could do is give situational modifiers to the roll based on how well you roleplay it out. Giving a particularly convincing argument, or a swaying speech could give bonus', where-as flubbing it badly enough can give minus'. Make sure to be very clear on what determines this though.

Another would be to add a part of the Luck stat to all of them, though this would leave the luck based checks weaker by comparison.

Keep in mind that many races have talents that automatically succeed on stat checks. You could also tool these talents to give bonus' to their related maneuvers, if they don't already count for auto-success.
Rather, You could make it so that it gives a flat bonus whenever it isn't being used for auto-success.

Those are just a few ways to make it a bit more player friendly.

What I do is allow the use of any Talent, if the player can convincingly describe how it can be applied to the situation at hand. So for instance I once had a character who had to track a swarm of monsters back to their source, so they argued one of their Legion abilities that mentions knowledge of tactics in the fluff text means that they'd know the best place to put a monster spawner, or something like that (this was weeks ago). They paid for the Talent use, and I gave 'em +2 to the check.

Also keep in mind (or rather remind your GM?) that it's not just Main Stats. There's Cover bonuses and items to use as well. Some Styles even have Talents that up main stat checks or have some nuance in out-of-combat situations (for example Combat Leap I think negates all falling damage--which means you can drop off skyscrapers and not care about it, or make HALO jumps without a parachute, etc).Plus, there's Talents that allow automatic successes with certain rolls, and Talents that do actually provide bonuses to certain maneuvers.

One time i used guard to catch a chick that was falling, because of the way the ability works normally.

Me and a friend were messing with a bot on discord and it gave us this image. I dunno if its from anything, but here you go.