/hwg/ - Historical Wargames General

Six Day War Edition

Previous thread: Get in here, post games, miniatures, questions, whatever you like.

List of mini providers:
docs.google.com/document/d/1uGaaOSvSTqpwPGAvLPY3B5M2WYppDhzXdjwMpqRxo9M/edit

List of Historical Tactical, Strategic, and Military Drill treatises:
pastebin.com/BfMeGd6R

ZunTsu Gameboxes:
mediafire.com/folder/yaokao3h1o4og/ZunTsu_GameBoxes

/hwg/ Steam Group:
steamcommunity.com/groups/tghwg/

Games, Ospreys & References folders:
mediafire.com/folder/lu95l5mgg06d5/Ancient
mediafire.com/folder/81ck8x600cas4/Medieval
mediafire.com/folder/w6m41ma3co51e/Horse_and_Musket
mediafire.com/folder/vh1uqv8gipzo1/Napoleonic
mediafire.com/folder/bbpscr0dam7iy/ACW
mediafire.com/folder/bvdtt01gh105d/Victorian
mediafire.com/folder/b35x147vmc6sg/World_War_One
mediafire.com/folder/z8a13ampzzs88/World_War_Two
mediafire.com/folder/z8i8t83bysdwz/Vietnam_War
mediafire.com/folder/7n3mcn9hlgl1t/Modern

mediafire.com/folder/6jrcg496e7vnb/Avalon Hill
mediafire.com/folder/pq6ckzqo3g6e6/Field_Of_Glory
mediafire.com/folder/r2mff8tnl8bjy/GDW
mediafire.com/folder/whmbo8ii2evqh//SPI
mediafire.com/folder/ws6yi58d2oacc/Strategy_&_Tactics_Magazine
mediafire.com/folder/lx05hfgbic6b8/Naval_Wargaming
mediafire.com/folder/s1am77aldi1as/Wargames
mega.nz/#F!ZAoVjbQB!iGfDqfBDpgr0GC-NHg7KFQ

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/folder/d9x0dbxrpjg48/Advanced_Squad_Leader
mediafire.com/folder/cb83cg7ays4l1/Battleground_WWII
mega.nz/#F!SolyxarJ!GUg6zWBStfznr6BvYedghQ
mediafire.com/download/o5x6blwoczojmfr/Black Powder.pdf
mediafire.com/folder/n7jmdnlv1n0ju/Bolt_Action
mega.co.nz/#!jxgCWTYD!FCp52DAqIUc-EM-TsRsWv7fB92nJ3kkzKsNcD_urI5Q
mega.nz/#F!i1N3xZxL!C6fQ3Z8o2U0gtk5kdXuVcQ
mega.nz/#F!XsVD0KgT!twB1NWiFE3aKXK_O1EZ4pA
mediafire.com/folder/28i9gevqws518/Impetus
mediafire.com/folder/7b5027l7oaz05/Modelling_&_Painting_Guides
mediafire.com/folder/eupungrg93xgb/Next_War
mega.co.nz/#F!b5tgXRwa!mzelRNrKPjiT8gP7VrS-Jw
mediafire.com/folder/alj31go19tmpm/SAGA
mega.co.nz/#F!C9sQhbwb!NVnD4jvUn5inOrPJIAkBhA
mediafire.com/download/cghxf3475qy46aq/Wargaming Compendium.pdf
mediafire.com/download/uttov32riixm9b0/Warhammer Ancient Battles 2E.pdf
mediafire.com/download/ta7aj1erh7sap1t/Warhammer Ancient Battles - Armies of Antiquity v2.pdf
mega.nz/#F!LxkElYYY!FJB5miNmlWZKMj2VfSYdxg
mediafire.com/download/cifld8bl3uy2i5g/Warmaster Ancients.pdf
mediafire.com/download/3emyvka11bnna1b/Warmaster Ancient Armies.pdf
mediafire.com/folder/czvubw9d9v8v9/Arab-Israeli_Wars
mediafire.com/file/5z74oyp62ox0b9k/The Arab-Israeli Wars.pdf
tabletopturniere.de/t3_tournament_list.php?tid=19210
m.ebay.co.uk/itm/28mm-Hamlet-4-houses-Laser-Cut-MDF-Building-Scenery-Infinity-Bolt-Action-/361555622624?hash=item542e64fae0:g:OgUAAOSwcL5XM0dP&_trkparms=pageci%3A53e08eaa-4a94-11e7-8c38-74dbd180fbca%7Cparentrq%3A7c9376ff15c0a88b6bef590cfff77ca5%7Ciid%3A4
mediafire.com/file/9y185aztwchjoj8/Osprey - WAR 141 - Merrill’s Marauders.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Advanced Squad Leader
mediafire.com/folder/d9x0dbxrpjg48/Advanced_Squad_Leader
>Battleground WWII
mediafire.com/folder/cb83cg7ays4l1/Battleground_WWII
>Battlegroup
mega.nz/#F!SolyxarJ!GUg6zWBStfznr6BvYedghQ
>Black Powder
mediafire.com/download/o5x6blwoczojmfr/Black Powder.pdf
>Bolt Action
mediafire.com/folder/n7jmdnlv1n0ju/Bolt_Action
>By Fire And Sword
mega.co.nz/#!jxgCWTYD!FCp52DAqIUc-EM-TsRsWv7fB92nJ3kkzKsNcD_urI5Q
>Fleet Series
mega.nz/#F!i1N3xZxL!C6fQ3Z8o2U0gtk5kdXuVcQ
>Hail Caesar
mega.nz/#F!XsVD0KgT!twB1NWiFE3aKXK_O1EZ4pA
>Impetus
mediafire.com/folder/28i9gevqws518/Impetus
>Modelling & painting guides
mediafire.com/folder/7b5027l7oaz05/Modelling_&_Painting_Guides
>Next War (GMT)
mediafire.com/folder/eupungrg93xgb/Next_War
>Phoenix Command RPG
mega.co.nz/#F!b5tgXRwa!mzelRNrKPjiT8gP7VrS-Jw
>Saga
mediafire.com/folder/alj31go19tmpm/SAGA
>Twilight 2000/2013 RPG
mega.co.nz/#F!C9sQhbwb!NVnD4jvUn5inOrPJIAkBhA
>Wargaming Compendium
mediafire.com/download/cghxf3475qy46aq/Wargaming Compendium.pdf
>Warhammer Ancient battles 2.0
mediafire.com/download/uttov32riixm9b0/Warhammer Ancient Battles 2E.pdf
mediafire.com/download/ta7aj1erh7sap1t/Warhammer Ancient Battles - Armies of Antiquity v2.pdf
>Warhammer Historical
mega.nz/#F!LxkElYYY!FJB5miNmlWZKMj2VfSYdxg
>Warmaster Ancients
mediafire.com/download/cifld8bl3uy2i5g/Warmaster Ancients.pdf
mediafire.com/download/3emyvka11bnna1b/Warmaster Ancient Armies.pdf

Desired scans :
Rank and File supplements
Harpoon 3 & 4 supplements
Force on Force supplements
Hind Commander
At Close Quarters
War and Conquest
Modern Spearhead

June 5th in military history:

AD 70 – Titus and his Roman legions breach the middle wall of Jerusalem in the Siege of Jerusalem.
1283 – Battle of the Gulf of Naples: Roger of Lauria, admiral to King Peter III of Aragon, captures Charles of Salerno.
1625 – The city of Breda surrenders to the Spanish tercios under general Ambrosio Spinola.
1798 – The Battle of New Ross: The attempt to spread the United Irish Rebellion into Munster is defeated.
1829 – HMS Pickle captures the armed slave ship Voladora off the coast of Cuba.
1832 – The June Rebellion breaks out in Paris in an attempt to overthrow the monarchy of Louis Philippe.
1862 – As the Treaty of Saigon is signed, ceding parts of southern Vietnam to France, the guerrilla leader Trương Định decides to defy Emperor Tự Đức of Vietnam and fight on against the Europeans.
1864 – American Civil War: Battle of Piedmont: Union forces defeat a Confederate army at Piedmont, Virginia, taking nearly 1,000 prisoners.
1900 – Second Boer War: British soldiers take Pretoria.
1916 – The Arab Revolt against the Ottoman Empire breaks out.
1917 – World War I: Conscription begins in the United States as "Army registration day".
1940 – World War II: The Germans renew the offensive against the remaining French divisions south of the River Somme in Operation Fall Rot.
1941 – World War II: Four thousand Chongqing residents are asphyxiated in a bomb shelter during the Bombing of Chongqing.
1942 – World War II: The United States declares war on Bulgaria, Hungary, and Romania.
1944 – World War II: More than 1000 British bombers attack German gun batteries on the Normandy coast in preparation for D-Day.
1967 – The Six-Day War begins: Israel launches surprise strikes against Egyptian air-fields in response to the mobilisation of Egyptian forces on the Israeli border.
1989 – The Tank Man halts the progress of a column of advancing tanks for over half an hour after the Tiananmen Square protests of 1989.

Today marks the 50th anniversary of the start of the Six-Day War, also known as the June War, 1967 Arab–Israeli War, or Third Arab–Israeli War. It was fought between June 5 and 10, 1967 by Israel and the neighboring states of Egypt (known at the time as the United Arab Republic), Jordan, and Syria.

Relations between Israel and its neighbours had never fully normalised following the 1948 Arab–Israeli War. In the period leading up to June 1967, tensions became dangerously heightened. Israel reiterated its 1950s statement that the closure of the straits of Tiran to its shipping would be a casus belli and in late May Nasser announced the straits would be closed to Israeli vessels. Egypt then mobilised its forces along its border with Israel, and on 5 June Israel launched what it claimed were a series of preemptive airstrikes against Egyptian airfields. Claims and counterclaims relating to this series of events are one of a number of controversies relating to the conflict.

The Egyptians were caught by surprise, and nearly the entire Egyptian air force was destroyed with few Israeli losses, giving the Israelis air superiority. Simultaneously, the Israelis launched a ground offensive into the Gaza Strip and the Sinai, which again caught the Egyptians by surprise. After some initial resistance, Egyptian leader Gamal Abdel Nasser ordered the evacuation of the Sinai. Israeli forces rushed westward in pursuit of the Egyptians, inflicted heavy losses, and conquered the Sinai.

Nasser induced Syria and Jordan to begin attacks on Israel by using the initially confused situation to claim that Egypt had defeated the Israeli air strike. Israeli counterattacks resulted in the seizure of East Jerusalem as well as the West Bank from the Jordanians, while Israel's retaliation against Syria resulted in its occupation of the Golan Heights.

On June 11, a ceasefire was signed. Arab casualties were far heavier than those of Israel: fewer than a thousand Israelis had been killed compared to over 20,000 from the Arab forces. Israel's military success was attributed to the element of surprise, an innovative and well-executed battle plan, and the poor quality and leadership of the Arab forces. Israel seized control of the Gaza Strip and the Sinai Peninsula from Egypt, the West Bank and East Jerusalem from Jordan, and the Golan Heights from Syria. Israeli morale and international prestige was greatly increased by the outcome of the war and the area under Israeli control tripled. However, the speed and ease of Israel's victory would lead to a dangerous overconfidence within the ranks of the Israel Defense Forces (IDF), contributing to initial Arab successes in the subsequent 1973 Yom Kippur War. The displacement of civilian populations resulting from the war would have long-term consequences, as 300,000 Palestinians fled the West Bank and about 100,000 Syrians left the Golan to become refugees. Across the Arab world, Jewish minority communities were expelled, with refugees going to Israel or Europe.

The Six-Day War is a popular subject with modern wargamers. Given the relative brevity of the fighting it is perfect for campaign play, with a range of possibilities from skirmish games set at the front line, right up to strategic-level simulation as players rewrite history. Tank buffs are spoiled with the number and variety of AFVs available. .

mediafire.com/folder/czvubw9d9v8v9/Arab-Israeli_Wars
mediafire.com/file/5z74oyp62ox0b9k/The Arab-Israeli Wars.pdf (Avalon Hill)

Nice start with IABSM user, maybe you could try Chain of Command next? It's the other Lardies WW2 game.

Are those Zvezda miniatures? I got that box recently as my first foray into historical wargames!

Finished some more dark age warriors

red this time

Correct! Check out the latest post at the Wargaming With Silver Whistle blog

and from behind

my first time trying to do red, I think it looks alright

Who's the chap with the Gouda on his head user?
I'm guessing it's some kind of Capitanesca hat
Looking good btw

I've done one game of Chain of Command... but what can I say I prefer company scale and 15mm. Hell the tables just look better with even cheap components. Pic related

Interestingly we did a game of Bolt Action in 15mm, that worked quite well with a few tweaks, however now V2 has come out and templates are back I presume there would be issues doing that.

Its a late Roman military cap. Its actually from a late roman box, I swapped a couple heads to add variety.

Kriegspielanon here, I reckon that if I want to get audience for that future e-mail Kriegspiel game, I should go with the Veeky Forums method: Dubs decide the scale, digits decide the era.

Digits:
>0 - Ancient (10000 BC to 900 BC
>1 - Classical (9000 BC to 476 AD)
>2 - Early Medieval (476 AD to 1066 AD)
>3 - Late Medieval (1066 AD to 1494 AD)
>4 - Pike and Shot (1494 AD to 1714 AD)
>5 - Horse and Musket (1714 AD to 1821 AD)
>6 - Rifle and Sabre (1821 AD to 1914 AD)
>7 - World War 1/Machine Age (1914 to 1936)
>8 - World War 2 (1936 to 1945)
>9 - Modern (1945 to present day)

Naturally, I'm going to be far far more indepth when actually deciding, but for now I got some general guidelines.

Sounds cool, are you going to post an AAR as well when it's done?

Anyway, the republicans shitpost in the previous thread was just shitwehraboossay memeing because BOMBER HARRIS DO IT AGAIN

Yeah, actually gonna represent the battles, but I'll need at least two players for it.

>40ish pages of rules
>manages to be as confusing as ASL
>requires house rules to not be shit anyway
Don't you have a lindybeige comments section you could be shitposting in?

The other classic 15mm WW2 game you could look at, is Crossfire

Not everyone's a fan though, as noted here

What was this a reply to?

FFT3 defaults to a bn-scale game in about 1:3 at 6mm, but has rules for a) 1:1 b) 15mm. Combining the two would give you a reinforced company or so on the table.

To this I just deleted it to correct a typo, wrote "only" instead of "other" and realized not only was it obviously wrong but it would cause some grief among other 15mm WW2 players
Unfortunately still managed to upset one user

Shame. Crossfire's a good game.

I haven't played it since it came out and that was over 15 years ago so I'm not in a position to really comment.
I just remembered GDW's Command Decision was also designed originally for 15mm (with a 6mm option).

>that bizarre Ancient/Classical split
ditch pre900bc and have more granularity in one of the middle periods imo

But ALL THE CHARIOTS is a totally valid and cool historical period that's distinctly different from most later play! usually called biblical mind you.

and idk about the 900BC split

900 BC is generally seem as the end of the Bronze Age, really (and thus the end of ALL THE CHARIOTS), which is what splits Ancient/Biblical and Classical.

Basically, one is Ozymandias and Hammurabi, the other is Alexander and Julius Caesar.

Does a scan of the the SAGA expansion Aetius and Arthur exist? I'd like to have a gander before I purchase.

Here is a list of registered players for an upcoming Bolt Action Tournament in Germany.

tabletopturniere.de/t3_tournament_list.php?tid=19210

For all who wonder why Warlord is releasing so many German minis, this might answer it.

I'm actually surprised that only 13 out of 52 play germans, but since that part of german history is not overly popular here it might be logical. still alot.

2x Finnish
1x French
1x Hungarian
1x Partisans

That makes me sad somehow.. interesting factions get little attention due to not much minis available. No new releases leads to no newly attracted players.

Thinking of picking up Bolt Action for my first tabletop game. Is this a good decision? Also could it work in a post apocalyptic setting, STALKER-esque with no scifi stuff like ray guns? I'll probably be playing historical too, but I'd like to play a system that can span over more than one setting, if that makes sense

I'm interested but fairly busy. What sort of time restraints are you thinking of? If email a move a day? a week? every few hours?

Yes to both.

Bolt Action is a good skirmish game and it should work fine for low sci-fi settings.

Perfect thanks man! Really excited to get into this game, I've heard great things about the rules

Well, it ought to be more of a real time thing and variable based on your decisions - if we're talking a WW1 offensive on army level you might hear that the 1st Army Corps has made progress capturing a village but needs reinforcements while the 2nd and 3rd have led to nothing after the bombardment within the day, while in a more Napoleonic level of battle you may recieve information on the result of your orders within the hour.

It's honestly down to the players, really.

Painted my last spaniards for Blood & Plunder. 200 points (the supposed points limit for a standard sized game) of Guarda Costa, before I try to add any kind of upgrades. (The image also contains two extra commanders, including Manuel Rivero de Pardal as a legendary character, you can only ever have one)

Next stop, a Sloop. Then it's time to paint some english (sea) dogs.

not him, but I love me some Stalker: how are you planning on bringing elements of Stalker into the wargame?

I'm not sure, I've never played a wargame before so I'll figure it out as I go along, I suppose

Good for a first game. STALKER... eh not so much, really lacks the detail and grit that's required of small scale skirmishes, it's very much a game about squads of troops and supporting vehicles rather than individuals. And STALKER works on a scale that's very much about individuals.

Yeah I know I won't be able to capture the STALKER feel 100%, I'm more concerned with whether or not the Bolt Action rules can work in the setting at all. I might even just make a generic postapoc setting that fits the game more

Look at the K47 book too, its almost identical to Bolt Action but has expanded melee rules and stats for some monsters and primitive power armour.

Thanks I'll look into that

neat!

Indeed. 53 Spaniards fieldable. For comparison, the french can, with a bit of fiddling, field an equal points force of 25 models.

How many points would an infantry box be worth in Bolt Action? I know it probably differs per army but if I get an infantry box of Germany and one of say UK, would that be playable as a skirmish level game?

definitely

10 early war British conscripts with no extra gear is 70 points, 10 late war British veterans with max SMG's/LMG's and anti tank grenades is 199 points. Regular infantry with one LMG and an NCO SMG is 123 points.

The boxes allow you to make the minimum legal force for each faction so you can easily do a skirmish with a box of each. But a few light vehicles/heavy weapon teams is a worthwhile followup purchase if you enjoy that.

Thanks senpai
So does it matter which boxes I get or will they generally be balanced? Do you have any boxes you recommend? I want a German box for sure and the other one to be either UK or US

Oh and just to clarify I want them to be fairly cheap boxes like infantry boxes

You want early war, mid or late?

Mid-late

Then for the axis I'd suggest a box of german greandiers. They're fun to paint and model as well as having loads of different options.
I'm not as experienced on the allies side but the soviets box(either one) is jammed packed full of goodness if you want that.

Thanks man much appreciated

The late war infantry boxes for all three are fine. I have heard good things about the new US Airborne box as well. Just avoid the 'German infantry' box, its older and not as good. You want the German Grenadiers.

They should all be pretty balanced since inexperienced, regular and veteran infantry have the same stats/point costs across armies. The British box lets you make a light mortar and a sniper team, you can get away with making a medium machine gun team from the German box since they used the MG42 as both light and medium. And all the sets include parts to make a platoon commander.

Much appreciated

Just don't give all of the Germans assault rifles, might make things a bit uneven.

All the boxes will let you make two ten man squads with bits left over to make a commander and various weapon teams so you should be good.

Is it possible to play on a skirmish level with each model moving independently? Can't find any skirmish rules

Five Men at Kursk seems good. I'm gonna play it soon.

Any suggestions on a Napoleonic Wargame that is interesting with around 4 infantry battalions per side? (maybe an artillery or cavalry unit added to each side as well..)

Everything seems to go for the ''10 battalions or more'' route it seems. Hard to get into it.

Hmmm... From Shako to Coal Scuttle is arguably the closest, though it is just an interesting take on FiveCore. I've been attempting to developing my own, but it's mostly unfinished and the testing has led to some rather interesting results (like most formations routing like crazy). I'll try and get it done, but my aim is to have a really simple, really easy to use system that still allows for tactical maneuvering.

I tried out a new stressing technique I saw on YouTube.

Sounds cool. I'll put in tentatively depending on what happens. An order a day would suit me best but if an hourly game falls on a day off I'd be good. I'd even put in as a sub commander if that'd work better overall.

You could also try Ostfront - quickfire rules PDF related

I think STALKER would suit something with a bit more RPG than BA. Being able to loot corpses and customize guns and something that suits smaller actions with a few guys a side I think would be better. Playing STALKER with BA would be like playing D&D with WHFB imo.
If I was to run a STALKER campaign, I would use the Traveller rules. Everything you need is there, and it can cover things like diplomacy, monstrous creatures and radiation. To do STALKER right it needs to be an RPG campaign run by a GM. Its such an immersive world that it needs good descriptions and lots of fog of war that doesn't really suit a quick WW2 skirmish system.

While you're taking a look around, make sure to check out Battlegroup, too.

I don't want to play an RPG though

Napoleonics using the battalion as the element usually seem to focus on the mixing of combined arms and if there's one thing I quickly learned trying out new rulesets with just a few units it doesn't seem to work that well. Maybe try something like Sharpe Practice or Chosen Men (disclaimer haven't played this one) which are more large skirmish but should keep down to just a few battalions.

>And STALKER works on a scale that's very much about individuals.
Plenty of room for larger skirmishes. Duty vs Freedom vs Adidas Gopniks squabbling over a small complex of buildings is well within Bolt Action's scale. No vehicles, probably, and limited modern weaponry... so you're dealing with (assault) rifles with the very occasional MG or light mortar or RPG, well within Bolt Action's scale.

Sounds like boring Infantry vs Infantry turkeyshooting for me. Whoever has cover and rolls better wins I'm going from the assumption that bolt action equals ww2 40k here. Five men at kursk sounds like a much better option.

Oh, it is, fivecore owns, but if you can't make an infantry bolt action game fun with scenario, objectives, and stalker style then you're not trying.

Redpill me on Five Men in Kursk, what is the difference between it and FiveCore?

I guess if you want to play STALKER without any of the flavor, BA is perfect, as its pretty much WW2 without any of the flavor.

Guys with assault rifles shooting at each other isn't really the core of the STALKER experience. You want atmosphere, anomalies, monsters, fear and tension in the red forest full of radiation. 1 guy with an AK holding off against 20 armed bandits with shotguns and pistols.

I've seen rules for a brigade on each side, but they go into more detail (2 bases to a company) so use just as many models on the table.
Neil Thomas's One hour wargames are the only rules I know designed for 4 bases to a side.

Redpill? What does it even means?

>roll a dice every time a model moves
>on a roll of one, he accidentally steps into a whirlygig and explodes
I fixed it, this is the perfect stalker game

What terrain should I make for Bolt Action? Atm I have

>3 Pillboxes
>Wooden bunker
>Concrete bunker
>2 minefields
>Barbed wire
>Czech hedgehogs
>Dragon's Teeth

Doing mostly Eastern Europe. Any thoughts on what my next project should be?

Grab yourself a couple of mdf buildings, if you're willing to paint and decorate them a little yourself you can get some really nice terrain ridiculously cheap now.
m.ebay.co.uk/itm/28mm-Hamlet-4-houses-Laser-Cut-MDF-Building-Scenery-Infinity-Bolt-Action-/361555622624?hash=item542e64fae0:g:OgUAAOSwcL5XM0dP&_trkparms=pageci%3A53e08eaa-4a94-11e7-8c38-74dbd180fbca%7Cparentrq%3A7c9376ff15c0a88b6bef590cfff77ca5%7Ciid%3A4

We played Rank&File with 4 infantry battalions, a cavalry regiment and a cannon per side and it was fun.

I wouldn't go as deep as that, but I agree a more RPG-styled game with figure progression, gear expansion and so forth would be better - something like This is Not a Test, the writer even said at one point that a Stalker-esque expansion can be expected.

I'm not sure...BA in it's core is really dull. Couple of guys running around with assault rifles is nothing really interesting, and firefights in Stalker with bigger groups was more than that. Jamming weapons, bleeding, anomalies, artifacts, etc.

"Explain to me the basic jist of it"

Thinking of doing a Pacific Theater army for Bolt Action. Already have two European theater armies. Debating between IJA and USMC. I'm aware of the other options (Aussies, Chinese, New Guinea natives, Dutch, etc.) but the lack of suitable plastics for anything but the Aussies means I'm just debating the former two.

Any opinions?

Any opinions?

Will check it out, thx!

I think you have a very good point, I just want to get into playing this year. I will take a look at these skirmish games you mentioned.

Thanks, doesn't have to be bases per side (a French battalion is 36 men)

Thank you, will check that one out!

Ta I've heard of that one, it doesn't have measures or turns if I recall correctly. Nice board BTW

Not heard of that one, name implies cold war, but a quick google says otherwise. What's its thing?

Ta. Any chance you can sell this one, partially because I'm lazy to read and have been sent 4x new games

That's the game made by plastic soldier company isn't it? I presume its designed to work perfectly with FoW stuff

Perhaps Chindits/Gurkhas in Burma, or maybe regular US Army dudes? The latter tend to get overshadowed by the Marines but they did a lot of fighting.

>That's the game made by plastic soldier company isn't it?
Iron Fist Publishing, but they work very closely together with PSC.
>I presume its designed to work perfectly with FoW stuff
Wouldn't say perfectly, but really well.

Any user have the rest of the Battlegroup expansion scans? The OP mega is missing quite a few (Barbarossa/Blitzkrieg/Wacht am Rhein/Overlord - full scan incl the fluff campaign and scenarios/Tobruk)

IJA sounds like fun to me. The option of taking Light Mortars for infantry sections makes me hard. But their vehicles are so god damn unsexy.

>not throwing bolts
it is called "bolt action" after all... just throw the bolt from your gun :^)

Ostfront is quick and deadly, made to balance fast play with realism. Roll very few dice, army lists have been balanced against each other over 5 years of play-testing.

this
Warlord do Chindits, Meryls Marauders and new plastic aussie commandos as well as pacific americanos. Also the terrain tutor on youtube has done a pacific theatre sterrain segment

>plastic aussie commandos
Aren't those metal?

If you find/buy 'em you know where to post the scans ;)

I like wargaming but am too autistic for all the sci-fi bullshit. of 40k. The comics/game shop near me plays Bolt Action, but I'd prefer practically any other period to WWII. Is Bolt Action a noticeably better game than say Hail Caesar or Black Powder? Are the communities for the latter two practically non-existent?

Watered down 40k vs. somewhat obscure grognardy game

Their other historical systems need noticably more figures, even if you play with the recommended minimum unit sizes. You need to look for historical clubs I guess.

There are pretty decent communities for both of those games as far as I know, just a matter of googling for wargame clubs in your local city, heading along and asking people if anyone plays them or what napoleonics or ancients systems they use.

Thanks. I'll probably give Bolt Action a look in anyway. Do you guys know if the player base tends to have many PANZER STRONK wehraboos/neonazis that tend to pervade WWII RTS communities?

BA is pretty much 40K with WW2 units - expect a range of players, plenty of powergaming, and the odd guy who plays themed lists

>Merrill's Marauders

Fascinating bunch of guys, barely ever see them on the tabletop. I believe they were the only US Army unit in the China-Burma-India theater. A number of volunteers were drawn from stockades; while they were only a handful the whole unit got a kind of "Dirty Dozen" reputation as redeemed crims. Like the Chindits they suffered brutally through the campaign, with a lot of them basically crippled for life thanks to various nasty jungle diseases and the sheer physical ordeal of being a guerilla in Burma.

>In slightly more than five months of combat, the Marauders had advanced 750 miles (1,210 km) through some of the harshest jungle terrain in the world, fought in five major engagements and engaged in combat with the Japanese Army on thirty-two separate occasions, including two conventional defensive battles with enemy forces for which the force had not been intended nor equipped. They traversed more jungle terrain on their long-range missions than any other U.S. Army formation during World War II.

>The men of the Merrill's Marauders enjoyed the rare distinction of having each soldier awarded the Bronze Star. In June 1944, the 5307th Composite Unit (provisional) was awarded the Distinguished Unit Citation: "The unit must display such gallantry, determination, and esprit de corps in accomplishing its mission under extremely difficult and hazardous conditions as to set it apart and above other units participating in the same campaign."

>On 10 August 1944 the Marauders were consolidated into the 475th Infantry, which continued service in northern Burma as a component of the division-sized MARS Task Force until February 1945. On 21 June 1954 the 475th Infantry was re-designated as the 75th Infantry; thus Merrill's Marauders is the parent of the 75th Infantry Regiment, from which descended the 75th Ranger Regiment.

mediafire.com/file/9y185aztwchjoj8/Osprey - WAR 141 - Merrill’s Marauders.pdf

Okay lads, have some Airfix US paratrooper dump.

Check out "five men at normandy". It should be in the OP. Its a very nice skirmish game if you want to move your men as independently.

"five men at kursk" is basically an improved version of that game but its not needed for a first impression.

For infantry boxes:

Avoid "German Late war infantry" "US infantry" and "british infantry". These 3 were the first (and therefore oldest) of the plastic WW2 minis by Warlord games. Diplomatically speaking: They aren't that great.

If you want americans, get either marines or airborne, if brits, get their paras and for the germans you can choose between Grenadiers, Fallschirmjäger and Blitzkrieg. (There is the Pioneer box too, but its essentially a Box of Blitzkrieg Infantry with some extra parts for conversion).
From the three German boxes i would either pick the Fallschirm or the Grenadier one. They match well against the Airborne or Paras.

Btw, check ebay. You often find Warlord stuff in mint condition for less than on their Website.

I didn't know Rick Moranis fought in WWII

Now if my browser wasn't shit, I could even post more...

FiveCore has generic rules that work at almost every setting.

5MinKursk has special rules suited for WW2.

So if you want flexibility, get FiveCore (and Normandy from the OP).
If you know you will only play WW2 and nothing else, get Kursk.