Admech in 8th Edition:

Seeing as everyone else is having their own little faction chats, let's sit down and talk about the cogboys in the new edition.

Things are looking "okay", the army looks like it'll be mid to mid-tier overall, with allies being pretty useful. Individual units are generally looking pretty good (aside from a few dirt-poor ones), with the only major flaw being we have 1 HQ and our army strength lies almost entirely in lots of troops.

Elites are good, HS is good, troops are good. What do you guys think?

I think its irritating we won't get HH units.

We'll get some in Cyraxus, right? The old pictures they put out had some big boops and Knights.

I'm just hoping for Thallax and a triaros to ferry Electropriests into the fray.

Still kinda pissed at how trash rangers are tho

I'm a little upset at how we lost Doctrina Imperatives and gained the weakest form of Canticles (and nothing else) as a replacement.

It seems like most things are slightly more expensive, save for Sicarians and Electro Priests. I am hoping that we will get a transport of some kind now, particularly since we lost crusader as an army rule.

Kataphrons seem ok, and I'm 100% fine with Grav Weapons being as they are now- I was never happy with how bad they were against lightly armored infantry.

I'm actually a bit confused, why do people say Rangers are bad? They're noticeably worse than necron warriors, who, at a similar points cost, get -1 AP all the time in addition to Reanimation Protocols, but what makes them bad (as opposed to worse than a similar but out-of-faction unit?

I wish the Magos got like 40 different weapon options and stat modifiers, they should be one of the most customisable units in 40k like they are in 30k

Rangers aren't a bad unit, it's just Vanguard are better in pretty much every way other than range.

To be fair to necrons, everyone can now wound anything on a 6 so their weapons had to be made special somehow, i was hoping for 2 wounds on a 6+, but -1 ap is much better

I'm a little salty about the new book, but I still think we'll perform okay. Definitely looking forward to a full codex release soon to give us back some of our flavor. Also, does anyone have mathhammer on Dragoons effectiveness/survivability?

>Tech Priest Dominus
Fewer options, higher point cost, but more wounds and their weapon skill got a bit better. not great, but OK Aura buff to shooting.

>Kataphron Servitors
More wounds, slower, 6+ invulnerable, weapons seem to still be decent to good, higher point cost.

>Electro Priests
Better in almost every way, almost entirely improved

>Kastelan Robots & Data Smith
More wounds, Aegis gives them a 2+ and a 4++ but no more FNP, better at shooting, faster. The new wound rolls kind of dick them over, as s4 now wounds them on a 5+ as opposed to a 6+. Data smith now has to roll to change protocols, which is kind of dicks. IIRC, the shooty version is a bit cheaper now.

>Rangers and Vanguard
Rangers guns got worse- their AP is now only on crits, and they lost precise shots. Vanguard are pretty much the same. Wargear seems slightly cheaper for some options. Leadership got way worse.

>Infiltrators and Ruststalkers
Cheaper by a fair amount, Infiltrators lost a lot from their debuff bubble, both units are 1 inch slower, ruststalkers lost their grenade options.

>Ballistarii & Dragoons
Pretty similar, the ballistarii even gained better guns. Much more expensive though, due to being vehicles. Slightly more durable due to having three times as many wounds as they did hull points, although now bolters and flashlights can kill them. Unlike other vehicles, it's actually more likely to happen.

>Onager Dunecrawler
Compared to a Predator Tank, it's slightly more durable ( it has a 5++) and slightly slower for fewer points (gear depending). The Icarus array seems like a significantly stronger option, now that it no longer hits infantry on a 6. Firing 10 BS 2+ shots at a flier seems pretty awesome.

>Faction Rules
Lost Doctrina Imperatives and Canticles is now set to the weakest possible setting. There is a possibility to re-use Canticles, though you have to roll randomly on a chart and hope to get lucky.

The Tech Priest Dominus bubble ability kind of helps to close this new gap, but I think anyone with half a brain would agree that the faction rules are significantly weaker than they were before. Comparitively though, Tau also lost a LOT from their markerlight system, so it seems certain factions got similar nerfs.

>mfw my Electropriests actually killed Guilliman in CQC
>mfw great crusade 2: electric boogaloo is actually viable

I'm pretty happy overall, I think.

>Rangers
Suuuuck hard, don't think I'll ever really have reason to take them
>vanguard
Cancer guns are just as fun as before, but not quite as Killy overall due to MCs/TEQs/etc getting more wounds. But a 108-pt 7-man squad with an omnispex and pair of Plasma calivers is god-tier light infantry
>destroyers
Feel pretty good, grav is nerfed (balanced) but still damn good. Skip Plasma, and these guys are fantastic backfield objective grabbers and elite/light vehicle removers. Keep out of charge range.
>Breachers
Feel waaaaay better, and the arc rifle is deceptively good at punching out land raiders and the like. I'm happy overall

>Sicarian Infiltrators
Is scary shit. Pistols are both awesome, and with power swords (forget about goads), they clock in at 120pt for 5, making a kickass shock-assault unit. Ideal for removing pesky shooty squads like centuribears.
>Ruststalkers
RIP my gimp-suit niggas. They're trash, but on the off chance of insanely good rolls could be pretty cool.
>enginseers
Ask the guard. This doesn't belong here
>fulgurites
Oh momma. Dishing out mortal wounds like candy and AP-2 attacks everywhere else, they honestly might be the last word in anti-deathstar warfare. Just be careful, cause until they get that sweet 3++ they're fairly fragile. 11/10 I love my electrostrippers
>corpuscarii
Meh. Cool for spamming wounds on guard and the like, but not that great imo.

>ballistarii
Good for plinking away AV and MCs, and fast n' cheap to boot. If the models weren't so damn expensive I'd grab a trio for camping back/midfield and sniping away Tanks.
>Dragoons
I don't get what they were going for here, cause it's not working. Lame AP and little choppy power, it's not worth it.

>onager
Punches holes in everything. The neutron laser is a walking fuck you gun, the name 'Icarus array' tells you everything, and the surprising tankiness of the model really makes it shine. Very happy with the crabtank
>kastellans
Not sure exactly what to say, but they're good. Load up with all phosphor for (with protocol on) 36 (!) S6 AP-2 shots, or fists to punch the lights off a baneblade. Along with the datasmith popping in protocols, I love em.

I should add Aegis protocol is fantastic, 2+/4++ and dishing back a mortal wound on 5 or more invuln is godly. Alongside the healing they get these guys are money really well spent.

>Dominus
Yeah, cool. Nothing great or terrible, I just wish we could pass up on having HQs.
>Cawl
Disappointing. I don't like herohammer and what not, but only a 5++ (even though healing is good) and relatively weak combat ability, he does nothing some fulgurites or even some meltaguns wouldn't do better, cheaper. Army buffs are aces, tho

As for allies, I think
>vanilla marines are good for all-purpose wear n' tear
>GK may be really interesting for variable deep strike/CQC/psyker
>same with death wing, and DA speediness would combine well.
>guard and ranks are meh imo
>but scions are good for cleaning up lots of MEQ if the army wasn't built for it.
>Knights are awesome and make kickass choppy gunboat allies

Some pretty good feedback/speculation in this thread

Are you all planning on running Electro priests in 5, 10, or 20 man squads? And how many units total?

I have high hopes for Cyraxus.

Definitely disappointed they stripped the characterful rules off a lot of stuff though. :/

Man, as much as I like the fact I can finally run a true Admech army, I hate the fact that they took out so much stuff like Canticles and Doctrines, and reworked things like Radium and Rad/Neurostatic. Those really helped give the army flavor and made it much more fun to play.

Rangers, in my opinion, are still not worth taking, but Vanguard lost their anti-horde ability. Kastellan's are cool, but unfortunately, their power fists kinda lost a bit of oomph. But overall, still pretty good.

Breachers are better, but destroyers are still better.

Overall, either its gotten worse, or better, but it still has units that are better than their counter parts.

Side note, I also hate how much they buffed Electropriests; but to be fair I've never liked Electropriests. They don't really fit Admech asthetically, the models themselves are goofy and expensive, and I would have rather got another more mechanical unit, like the Sicarians. It also pisses me off that they have become the premier melee unit, ousting the afore mentioned Sicarians, Kastellan and Dragoons.

I quite dislike the models. Same with the Kastellans, and I'm not planning on buying either.

I think Rangers might see increased value as snipers, now that characters seem to have more significant army-wide effects.

I'm annoyed that i have to spend command points to include assassins in my army so that i can avoid losing canticles.

>Skipping Taser
>Ever

user......
Are you even drink guard and manlet tears with 30+ saves?

What're everyone's opinion on the Torsion Cannon now? I'm a little iffy on a one shot weapon on a BS4+ platform, but with Cawl or even just a Tech Priest Dominus nearby they might be able to do a bit of damage to big monsters.

Gonna be up against some nids soon, so I'm wondering if I should bother bringing Breachers at all.

I think it will be age of plasma mechanicus, because of rerolls 1s everywhere, from auras, canticles etc. Wounding spess mehreens on 2+ and insta killing all those primaris seems good.

This is 8E or kids mode.

If you want tactical options and strategy in your strategy games then you need to play 30K in 7th edition unfortunately.

>7th ed
>tactical options and strategy

Oh am I laughing.

He is talking about HH, where tech-priest really got a lot of customization options.

My mistake, apologies.
I agree that 8th is very simplified but at least it's not a clusterfuck that was 7th. But yeah, wish local people played HH.

If you can find any of marine players, you can convince them to try it out.

Also remember that with full plasma destroyers+dominus nearby, you can basically rip anything apart, even those meat blocks you called tanks.

Beautiful color scheme overall, you should do some recess shading on the orange part with some nuln oil/agrax earthshade though.

I'm laso stealing this color scheme.

Pic related what i feel after playing nu-Infiltrators

Might start Ad Mech in this here new edition. Here's a list Im working on, 2 start collecting boxes plus a bit more. One thing is that the army my as it is now just doesn't seem fun to play, everything more or less clusters around the Dominus and walks forward. What do you guys think?

Also just realized it's not actually a batallion detachment, only having 1 hq choice sucks.

You might want to swap out the stubcarbines for flechette blasters on your infiltrators. Flechette blasters are better vs guard equivalent, and about the same vs space marines. When you can infiltrate within 9" the extra 6" of range doesn't matter as much.

I also prefer having 2 extra shots, because having low strength doesn't matter as much in 8th edition. Strength 3 shooting gets the job done, particularly when you have more shots.

The taser goad seems like a cooler option for similar reasons- you get to drown a unit in s6 attacks. With canticles up you can even get those taser goads up to s7 which makes them menace most vehicles on a 4+, which is valuable.

Change those beamer with Neutron Laser and drop the stubber, you'll have greater firepower that way.

I would also consider the Icarus Array for one of your Dunecrawlers. Putting out 10 shots, even if you drop to BS 4 (you do get to re-roll 1's after all) is nasty. If your opponent brings fliers, you're hitting them on 3's at worst, and 2's at best.

The neutron laser is also pretty damn menacing- s10 means everything is threatened by it, d3 shots and d6 damage that can only go as low as 3 makes it a premiere anti-tank weapon.

In all fairness, the heavy phosphor blaster and eradication beamer aren't bad options- they're cheaper, and definitely still solid.

I was looking at Pswords to save points, but I think the change is minor enough that the goads are worth it, plus they seem like more fun
Was mostly running beamer and twin phosphor blasters to save a few pointd, and try out a wider array of weapons, since more than just Neutron is viable now. I think I will try to swap it for a Neutron and an icarus though.

Thanks for feedback, although I'm still wondering how we can make try he army more dynamic and fun try her play

how so?