Do you like to make your players think?

Do you like to make your players think?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1XJhZVmORlM
youtu.be/o8TssbmY-GM
math.cornell.edu/~araymer/Puzzle/PuzzleNights.html)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I miss having quest threads on Veeky Forums.

Quests are not thought provoking.

You know, just having Erwin's original question in there would make for a far more interesting thread. Especially when combined with that youtube video that theorizes Attack on Titan's setting may be based on Carl Schmitt's political theories

>quests
Ugh.

If they show an interest in a particular topic then I'll try and include more elements involving that in the game.

One of my players is emotionally (and perhaps physically) hurt by thinking.

So yes, I like making them think.

I like you

Not if you want to constantly think about lesbian harems.

>he doesn't make his campaign the ultimate noggin joggin' experience
>he doesn't enjoy his players enjoying figuring out his puzzles
????

Only when they've taken low Int ratings, So they have to intelligently figure out what their moron character would believably do

Give it up. Stop making these threads to whine like a kicked dog.

I've given up on their ability to think years ago.

Wouldn't the water just disperse because of the vacuum?

No. It's physically painful to watch them try.

>Do you like to make your players think?
Mostly I make them think about how to survive the fight I threw them into.

Ad picture: It probably does feel lack of gravity, if nothing else.

Ad question: I don't usually. When i last tried, PC died.
Anyway, what kind of things do YOU make you players think?

Wait, what.

youtube.com/watch?v=1XJhZVmORlM

tl;dr/spoilers on the video
Carl Shmitt's political philosophy is more or less the following:
1. Conflict and inequality are inherrent to human nature
2. To "redirect" these desires in a "constructive" manner, a clearly defined outside enemy is neccessary to unite the savages that would otherwise fight among themselves
3. The first two necessitate a sovereign who is effectively free to do as he pleases (incuding waging war on outside forces)

Normally I would call you am idiot and be done with it, but I have a neat video about it:
youtu.be/o8TssbmY-GM
(but it would boil)

yeah they are

False.
They make you think that they should be exiled to their own bo- Oh wait...

It would also very rapidly dissipate heat, and the fish would freeze to death (not literal freezing, but hypothermia).

Yes, I like activating their almonds

yeah, me too.
It's a shame the shitposters came in as the questfags left.

That's because you're a dipshit

your understanding of physics is questionable

Wrong, it's not based on that.

Read manga you dummies.

No, the water and the fish would literally freeze. The phase transformation from liquid to gas is exothermic.

Well, we had a pretty good cyberpunk noir detective style game last night that involved a bit of thinking which was pretty fun. So I think my DM does.

It's based on african nazis persecuting a chosen people who have the power of flesh-mecha.

More like african jews persecuting african nazis after the jews cucked them and conquered them back, but yeah.

For real tho, I'm watching the anime and have gotten some misc spoilers from /a/
Could you spoil the whole thing for me, please?

What do you already know?

Armin somehow becomes the Colossal Titan, not sure how since the other dude is still around
And that there's a timeskip somewhere along the line

I don't follow the show, what was the last thing you saw there, so I wouldn't repeat myself?

They showed the tall lesbian's flashback, she swallowed Historia and escaped on Armored's back, Eren and Bertold are with them too

Inside the basement is proof that Eren's Dad came from outside the wall, and the entire story so far has taken place on the Island of Madagascar. There's a race of people called Eldians. They used to have an empire and reigned terror over the rest of the world until a nation called Marley rebelled, took control of some of the Titan shifters. The Eldian king fled to Madagascar (aka Paradis Island) and built the Walls to keep enemies out. Meanwhile the rest of the world is now at WW1 technology and things are advancing enough that Titans are no longer a significant threat in warfare. The Marley people treat the remaining Eldians within their nation like Nazi Germany Jews but keep them alive because only they can become Titans/Titanshifters. Bert Reiner and Annie (+ Marcel, who was eaten by Ymir before they attacked the walls) are Eldian "Warriors" that are basically brainwashed/indoctrinated soldiers for Marley.

Eren's Dad is part of a revolutionary Eldian organization, he hoped to get Eren on his side to free the Eldian people from Marley. He was sent to Paradis island to kill the royal family and take their titan powers. He turned Eren into a Titan and had Eren eat him because Titan shifters can only live for 13 years

Armin just became the Colossal Titan after eating Bertholdt

The Beast Titan is Eren's half-brother from his father's first marriage, who betrayed his father and ratted out his family to the Marley government for being revolutionaries.

The Titan that ate Eren's mom is Grisha's first wife, who was also royal. But because Marley didn't know this, she was turned into a titan and dropped off on Paradis(which is the general punishment for treason against Marley).
Also Eren is LITERALLY Shingeki no Kyojin, The Attack Titan, the actual title of the manga but it has been mistranslated this entire time.

Also, four year timeskip. And Titan Air Drops.

Thanks, bro

Except it's not really Madagascar. If it was, the map as we see it would have been mirrored along the Y-axis. But otherwise yeah.

Also, people within the walls know nothing because the kings has the power of the main titan, and that power is brainwashing. Except It's not within royal family, because Grisha ate the heir of it and now the power is in Eren. And the power does not work because wrong genes.

Also, Krista's real name is Historia (yeah), and she is a royal bastard.

Also, Levi is Mikasa's relative, their family a byproduct of a titan research. Apparently can't become titans.

Not really. While I love them all, they're a bunch of idiots.

>very rapidly dissipate heat
Vacuum is a very good insulator, user.

And the one guy who's the quietest and least bardy always wants to play a bard, and never does anything bardy with them. Just makes a singing fighter more often than not.
One is a permavirgin that has very little knowledge of other peoples' emotions, one is just so dense that it took us hours to explain to him how he has to add his bonuses to his rolls and then tell the DM what he got, and the other always roleplays a murderhobo.

>ugh
BBEG

What did he originally ask again?

Liquid water would quickly boil in vacuum, but boilong consumes huge ammounts of heat, freezing the remaining water. The most likely result is a cloud of fine ice mist in a quickly spreading gaseous water and very cold fish in the middle of it.

I think "who do you think the enemy is?" or something.

>It's a shame the shitposters came in as the questfags left.

there were always shitposters, it's no better or worse now than it was before the split

unless you mean /qst/ is full of shitposters, in which case that is unfortunate but also unsurprising

exothermic means that it releases heat, user. Endothermic means that the process absorbs heat to occur.

Yes and no.
Yes because it makes everyone get involved with the plot more.
No because I have people who over think certain problems, and when they're wrong, they blow up about it

The last guy doesn't sound too bad.

I'd like to, but i'm shit at puzzles and philosophical depth myself, so it wouldn't be that much of a challenge

>Do you like to make your players think?

Nah, my old group were a bunch of cheating munchkins that partially melted their dice to always get good rolls, so I just throw overpowered encounters and instant death stuff at em.

I used to do the whole "Mystery to be solved, puzzle room" shit... but they just end up attacking the gears and walls and shit.

>attacking the walls
There is only one solution

>Attack the walls in a locked puzzle room
>Now stuck in their until they starve to death, as the walls contained the mechanism to move the two massive stone slabs used as doors.

>their
Too early for this shit.

I gave my players a werewolf murder mystery where the main red herring was just a guy with ptsd, it was fun

I mean, gravity still exists in water. The fish won't be able to feel gravity, things like swim bladders won't work. So yeah, the fish will know the difference.

>Obviously the video is from around the time the quote was first aired so they have no way to k-
>February of this year

Well, they sure are dumb. Could have at least looked at the source material before writing their big ass analysis.

That image reminds me of those memes of IceT talks about crime cases

No, no, it's cool, user. Now we have the same threads even more often, over and over, or very slight variations, or overspills from the generals.

This is pants on head retarded. The climate of the land of the walls is nothing like Madagascar. Either the author knows nothing of the world's regions and climates or he's so deep up his own ass in AU lore that the world has no resemblance to ours, so why the fuck set it on Earth in the first place?

AoT makes no sense. I don't know why I bother even watching the anime. Pretty sure the original story got leaked and this is the author's pale replacement for that tweest.

i agree with this guy
we must make the new reich
this time in america
hail trumpf

As another user pointed out, the world is flipped the wrong way along the Y-axis for it to actually be our planet. More than likely he just didn't feel comfortable making up his own map and so reversed the real one, much like how the world in Berserk, for example, is clearly based on our world but isn't actually.

Wait, they can't? Where's the source beside such combo being hilariously OP?

Imagine dancing Titan with titan sized 3dmg

I bought an iq puzzle a while ago where you have to take the pieces and make them all fit given an initial set up. I've been considering giving a basic one to my players to solve. I'd justify it as "you found some runes that have been broken, put them together to go further" or some bullshit like that. The puzzle would be about as "hard" as pic related, maybe a little more. Am I gonna be that DM?

>It's a shame the shitposters came in as the questfags left.
>there were always shitposters, it's no better or worse now than it was before the split

It's a lot worse now because when Veeky Forums had quest threads, the quests acted as a sponge for bored browsers and gave people something engaging to do. Now that quest threads are banned, we still have the same number of bored browsers, but without any quests to play on Veeky Forums, they're all bumping the bait threads because people like engagement and shitposting in bait threads is the easiest way to receive engagement.

>Quests are not THOT provoking
I disagree, a quest thread is where I found my whore of a wife

>There is only one solution
holocaust?

Only Eldians can turn titans. It's either implied, or said outright (don't remember which now) that Ackermans are of the wrong genes.

Now I know you are a BrAInleT

You're cute.

Touche.

I also like the manga going in the direction where Eren isn't just a plot point/whimp/person to be saved, but someone acting on his own.

why does this comment keep coming up? There's a dedicated quest board.

>There's a dedicated quest board.
It's telling that more than a year later, the board split is still the most contentious issue on Veeky Forums.

>video starts with a montage of comments asking youtuber what to do
Can't these people be original?

>be lumberjack in my village
>find shimmering portal behind tree
>fall into mystical elven ream
>Queen lady says to get home I most walk over the tree of worlds
>bigass tree god damn I cant climb that shizzle
>easier to walk on it, when it is lying on the ground
>proceed to sharpen axe

lumberjack logic wins every time

I think this theory is kind of a stretch. It feels like the author is more of a cynical realist than someone who's really expanding on the ideas of Schmitt. I think the similarities exist simply because of the setting rather than the other way around. When there is a single enemy that cannot be overcome without uniting all forces at hand, then I think these types of attitude will naturally prevail.

But it's not?
Literally the only people who care are questfags butthurt they can't leech off of more popular board and topics for replies.
By the way your [anime setting] Quest is SHIT and only children post in them. It's not surprising the quests died as soon as the quests were put in a place the adhd children would only see if they wanted to purposely find it.

They should have exiled general threads with quests.

>players want riddles and other things to make them think
>when it's easy they ask for harder riddles and things to make them think
>when it's hard they hate the idea of riddles and things to make them think

Players rarely have grasp of what the really want or what they do.

I recommend you look into logic puzzles for the source of your riddles.
The good thing about them, is that you can make them as complicated or simple as you like, and the answer will still be clearcut, not resulting in the usual problems of trying to figure out specific words and finding out too late (from the riddler's point of view) that there are more possible answers than they wanted.

Raymond Smullyan wrote a couple books with good examples, most fitting perhaps being "The Lady of the Tiger?" (you can find an example riddle here if you scroll down math.cornell.edu/~araymer/Puzzle/PuzzleNights.html)
If you're concerned that that would make things too straightforward, or that the issue would arise where "Why would group X defend their base with a riddle that anyone can solve with a bit of thinking, then simply incorporate stuff into the riddles that the players found out during their previous run-ins with group X, or while researching them, and without which info the riddle would be unsolvable.

Might sound ore complicated than it is, I definitely recommend checking out the book.

Alternatively, similar ways to put in riddles that can feel complicated but are not so complicated as they would be hard to solve for the average player, is location puzzles. Simplest example being stuff like the dream sequence in Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, if you ever played that. Basically going through an endless series of doors, having to notice one distinct feature about the doors and following them in sequence.
More complicated would be what I did a while back, by having the entrance to a magically adept culture's secret sanctum be a pocket plane which first appears to be a series of cubical rooms which you can walk on the walls of, but turns out to be actually a Tesseract, where the players are expected to navigate on the walls of the cubes and through portals on the walls to neighbouring cubes, in order to figure out where they are.

Players
>Wow that was an amazing puzzle why dont you do it more often
also players
>lol is it a jackal
>lol is it a jackal
>lol is it a jackal>lol is it a jackal
>lol is it a jackal>lol is it a jackal
>lol is it a jackai
>lol is it a jackal
>lol is it a jackal
>lol is it a jackal
>lol is it a jackal
>lol is it a jacky
>lol is it a jackle

Their turns take long enough as it is.

isn't he a bad persson though?

The solution is to make easy riddles that look complicated

I wonder how large an amount of water you would need before it stabilized into a planetoid that would retain a liquid ocean underneath with enough resources and light for fish. It'd be like the most extravagant fish tank.

The truth that all GMs come to learn is that you simply can't make up correct answers to the riddles. Or rather, you can, but you have to realize that your players will never ever get them. Not even on the fourth, sixth, or tenth try. The secret is, quite simply, to wing it and pretend that whatever the players come up with that's creative and clever enough was the intended solution all along.

>I wonder how large an amount of water you would need before it stabilized into a planetoid that would retain a liquid ocean underneath with enough resources and light for fish. It'd be like the most extravagant fish tank.

Well, since water is less dense than iron by a factor of fuckhuge, you could probably figure it out with simple math, but I'm wondering what you meant by
>enough resources and light for fish
when light barely penetrates the upper surface of our oceans.

Iron's density is roughly X times as dense as water. Where X is the density of iron

So 7.87?

I like to try, but they probably is they cannot conceive of a solution more complicated then burning the town to save it. or burning the town just 'cause..

>but the problem is*

yes

>but turns out to be actually a Tesseract
No.
Fuck you.
No.
It is NOT fun to navigate a tesseract.
Unless you have some IC and OC software mapping tool that does all the work for you, in which case it's only just as fun as a regular dungeon.
Every time you go to a new room the GM has to map their route.
Without a map, it's roughly impossible to understand.
Players will just brute force it 10/10 times.
Do NOT include tesseracts in your games.