NEWS

>Commander 2017 Spoilers
mythicspoiler.com/c17/index.html

>Latest Commander Ban Announcement
mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18588

>Latest MTGO Banlist Update
wizardsmtgo.tumblr.com/post/160343614814/update-mtgo-commander

RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>Veeky Forums EDH General Discord
discord.gg/UE9Vqzu

CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

>Thread Question
Are you excited for Archenemy: Nicol Bolas?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/athreos-skelly-tribal/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/o-u-t-o-f-b-o-d-y/
youtube.com/watch?v=9Jz1TjCphXE
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/budget-monog-stompy/?cat=type&sort=cost
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/06-06-17-athreos-2/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/21-04-17-nicol-bolas/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Starting again after a few years of not playing. Will playing Kaalia of the Vast or Jenara, Asura of War decks get me auto-nuked by everyone else? I usually got ganged up on when I played them when I started playing EDH.

Jenara, not so much anymore.

Kaalia maybe.

Jenara is a voltrony commander. You'll get nuked when you're an appropriate threat.
Kaalia is "If I turn sideways I win." She will get focused hard the second you cast her.

Who is the best Orzhov commander for goodstuff?

True, but at least Jenara has better colors. More room for a backup plan.

>are you excited for archenemy
yes, my playgroup loves the dumb gimick formats. We get salty together.

Teysa, envoy of ghosts or Ayli

Hey anons, I am pretty happy with where my deck is right now, but I am always happy to make it better. If any of you have any advice I would love to hear it.
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/athreos-skelly-tribal/

I want to build a Bolas vorthos deck but I dont want it to suck. Which cards should I put in it? This is what I have so far

Mind dilation
Slave of bolas
Mindclaw shaman
Senseis divining top
Propaganda
Telepathy
Damnation
Necropotence
Blood tyrant
Lightning reaver
Animate dead
Soul manipulation
Baleful strix
Dragonlord silumgar
Deep analysis
Domineering will
Word of seizing
Gem of becoming
No mercy
Worst fears
Control magic
Terminate

Goodstuff:
Athreos offers a large passive benefit.
Envoy of Ghosts is a potent creature in her own regard, though very costly.
Obzedat is threatening and board wipe resistant, while padding your life total.
Kambal's low cost and oppressive nature make him a big removal target, drawing kill spells out of people's hands to clear the way for your other creatures, and/or draining them for significant amounts of health.
Ravos and/or Tymna, both offer card advantage, with Ravos also offering recursion.

Maybe Goodstuff:
Triad takes building around activating their abilities, but opens options for abusing ETB abilities.
Vish Kal, Ghost Council, Ayli and Orzhov Scion need many disposable creatures, but many Orzhov goodstuff cards can easily produce them.

Not Goodstuff:
Karlov needs a lot of repeatable life gain triggers.
Daxos needs enchantments.
Selenia works best when Selenia is the focus of the deck, being able to protect and cast her again doesn't jive with having a bunch of goodstuff you're wanting to cast instead.

depends very much on the flavor of the goodstuff

So go with Jenara is what I'm hearing. Alright.

Is Kresh the Bloodbraided relevant at all? I've always wanted to make a deck with him. My area is apparently very competitive so I don't want to waste time making something that can't win.

I have always loved Obzedat, I think I will go with him. Thanks for the advice

So I'm slowly going through the thread from this morning and someone brought up Torchling which can redirect spells that target only torchling for one R mana.

My question is, since Zada's duplicate works as a copy of a single spell targetting each other creature individually, can you spend that R to redirect the copy to Zada and double up the loop, and can you do this continually?

On a side note I played Zada last night against my friend's cancerous Shirei deck and dropped down to 7 health after saccing 2 creatures each turn from him, then dropped a hasted Zada and krenko, tapped krenko and swung at him for 47 from two 3/x spells, a coat of arms for +4/4, and sacced a blighted mountain for +5/x with trample of which he reflected 4 damage to me damn near killing me. Felt good after his sac bullshit and the last game with a pumped up smokestack.

you can redirect it, yes, but zada triggers on cast, so it won't go any further than that.

Thank you, makes sense.

Zada only works on cast triggers. Copies do not get cast. Also note that Zada's ability resolves even if the spell is countered or does not resolve for any reason. This is why possibility storm is great with zada.

probably a newbie question- If I banefire a guy for lethal and in response he (in this particular case) Sacs enough zombies with an effect that deals lethal to me, does he still die? Do I die or does priority fuck with the stack enough that I just take some damage?

Partners

The only Jund commander that is remotely competitive is prosh.

If he sacced the zombies after you cast Banefire, his triggers goes on stack and resolves first, killing you.

Does he still die from the banefire though?

>Are you excited for Archenemy: Nicol Bolas?

Before I saw the decks and schemes I was fucking hype, but now I won't even buy it to tear it apart.

800.4a When a player leaves the game, all objects (see rule 109) owned by that player leave the
game and any effects which give that player control of any objects or players end. Then, if that
player controlled any objects on the stack not represented by cards, those objects cease to exist.
Then, if there are any objects still controlled by that player, those objects are exiled. This is not
a state-based action. It happens as soon as the player leaves the game. If the player who left the
game had priority at the time he or she left, priority passes to the next player in turn order who’s
still in the game.

TLDR: No

No. Dying means anything you were in the process of doing stops happening.

Nope. You die before it has a chance to resolve.

Thanks folks, so Molten disaster it is.

Damn. Welp, time to look up how Prosh decks usually work. If I'm lucky they use Kresh anyway.

Thanks for the help anons.

Shit > Blaxos >> Plague >>>> Triad of Fates

Don't listen to him. Prossh is the only competitive Jund commander, because he goes infinite with Food Chain and wins with Purphoros, Impact Tremors, Blood Artist, Zulaport Cutthroat, and a half dozen other things, but that's only relevant if you plan on buying and running food chain, which I don't suggest. If you're not in a super competitive meta you can definitely play Kresh.

I'm not sure how competitive it is. I'm picking up mtg again after not playing for a while. LGS has commander/EDH Wednesdays, so I'm going to play with one of the decks I have that I know works. Because when I asked the guys at the store what the meta is like, they said most of the people are really competitive. So rather than waste time making a Kresh deck right now, I'll do some research on what the more popular decks are and try to adjust my Jenara deck to compensate.

NIgga you better put in Cruel Ultimatum.

is Daghatar the Adamant a feasible commander for anything?

no.

You should try to figure out the real power of the local meta. If it's truly truly competitive then there's not much you can do without a similarly tuned deck. If you do choose that path, Yisan or Selvala is likely your best bet thanks to single color mana bases and the cheapness of most green creatures. You can probably assemble a Selvala deck to compete at slightly below the most cutthroat levels for under $200, less if you already have some of the more expensive pieces like Cloudstone Curio or Phyrexian Dreadnought.

Abzan Goodstuff. The problem with that is there's not really any Daghatar deck that wouldn't be improved as a Teneb, Anafenza, or Karador deck, or if you want a +1/+1 counter theme, Ghave deck.

What would the other three precon decks be if they are indeed five colors? Id say Humans and Slivers had to be two of them.

I like gimmicky formats, but this box is straight up trash. I would not buy it anywhere near MSRP.

Kaalia yes, Jenara no. In most circles at least.

He's a shitty Ghave. His power is mid to low casual tier.

Orzhov Partners is surprisingly good. Tymna rewards you for playing small dudes (Doomed Traveler and Hangarbalk Walker are my personal favorites) and Ravos lets you loop powerful ETB/LTB effects (Yosei and Grey Merchant are the MVPs in this regard)

Shilling my list:
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/o-u-t-o-f-b-o-d-y/

My guesses are UR Wizards, GB Elves, and W Soldiers or Humans. Slivers are great as is, and they really don't need a handful more viable commanders.

youtube.com/watch?v=9Jz1TjCphXE

where should I get art sleeves?

Don't get any to begin with unless you're going to pick them into oversized sleeves to protect them.

Grave Titan, As Foretold, Crux of Fate, Cyclonic Rift, Demonic/ Vampiric Tutor, Disciple of Bolas, Mindclaw Shaman...

The list is endless.
New art Bolas looks dope, everything else is a wash.

Miniatures Market has a decent selection. Also ffs get Character Guards if you're going to use art sleeves. They're way easier to replace than art sleeves that have a bad habit of going OOP.

what's the best tech monored can use? (Hazoret) I've already got a few worldgorger centric combos and a gobbo deck on the side

>(Hazoret)

what sleeves do you all use?

Dragon Shields of various colors

The Eclipses sleeves and some Dragon Shields.

Random brand I don't even know. They're sturdy and fairly thick compared to the cheap stuff. If I knew the brand I'd recommend them. Best guess is Ultra PRO of some sort.

Eclipse, i have two decks still in kmc and legion sleeves and it wont be long before i break the remaining kmcs'.

Ultra Pro/Monsters both of solid color and graphic types, I also have one deck in shuffletech but while the sleeves themselves are of nice quality they have this weird interaction with oil (your natural finger oil, oil from snacks, any kind) that makes them slightly harder to shuffle

I've got a couple sets of art sleeves, mostly old Max Pros. Been using Dragon Shields for the most part, honestly.

Dragon shield ivory for mizzix and i need 2 sets for my saskia and geist decks.

Dragon Shield mattes for the more expensive stuff due to the thiccness, Eclipses for literally everything else due to the great shuffle feel and durability.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/budget-monog-stompy/?cat=type&sort=cost

Looking for feedback on an update to the first deck I brewed on my own.

What am I missing? What should I cut for more lands?

DS glossy for the oldest decks
DS mattes for everything i've built since they started making mattes

For awhile, exclusively Blue Dragon Shields.

Tried some Ultra Pro mattes, but they split like nobody's business. I like the Eclipse sleeves a TON, though.

ive had bad experiences with ultra pro mattes in the past, like 2 years ago, so i went with kmc hyper mattes after that, theyve been great

BUT

recently my friend told me that ultra pro changed their matte sleeves and their now pretty high quality, i havent tried them out yet but im interested.

simultaneously another friend bought some kmc hypermattes that split almost immediately, apparently they changed their production process like ultra pro, but for the worse

>ultra pro changed their matte sleeves and their now pretty high quality

Those are the Ultra Pro Eclipse.

>some kmc hypermattes that split almost immediately

KMC got bought out by some shitty Chinese company.

Angels

i've got a perfect orzhov mana base but no deck to use it in. it came from my tuned teysa list that i took apart because it was kinda boring and samey going for the same combos every game. i gave karlov a try briefly but it was very underwhelming. what's a cool and varied orzhov deck i can build out of this?

kmc hypermattes, but the older kind

I want to build a deck based on Ancap meme. Teysa seems a perfect candidate for a general.

What techs do I need to include aside from blackmarket and white pillowfort echies?

why not gay kings, or BWx partners? R and G have a lot of room for griefing, pic related

Gay kings are about equally giving everyone bonuses, which is the furthest thing from ancap. Not sure about partners.

Teysa is quad hit for style: yellowish white/black colors, has NAP protection from physical harm, destroys everything that breaks NAP against you, has slave laborers and is a luxurous smug lawyer

I'd like horrors because that'd be cool but I know that's not fucking happening

Daxos is probably the furthest removed from the other Orzhov options. Having to turn to all sorts of peculiar enchantments instead of the usual options definitely affects your deck building and gameplan.

Blaxos Zombie Tribal Mustardrace coming through here

Hyper Mattes

Whats the best way to abuse how realm razer is worded so that everyone elses lands end up exiled but mine arnt?

Just finished putting the ffinal touches on this little tune with what I have available to me. It's nowhere near competitive level, but it's one of those decks that's annoying to face, but you'll admit that it was a good match at the end of it all.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/06-06-17-athreos-2/

What should I add/remove? My FLGS goes through Sol Rings like nothing, so It's sheer dumb luck on when I'll get one next.

WorldGorger Dragon

Pic related.

It does, but you can't cast anything that it exiles, so it's nothing but exile a card

Dragon Shield Mattes.
Ivory for Emrakul
Blue for Vela
Black for Heliod (used to be Daxos)
Red for Lovisa
Green for Mazirek

If you're not using the proper colour schemes, what's the point?

>If you're not using the proper colour schemes, what's the point?

>Coming from a guy that only has 1 deck in the proper sleeves

Ok

Toshiro Umezawa is fun, FUN!

4 of the decks are in the proper sleeves.

3 I could see, although it's stupid for a deck with multiple colours, but how the fuck is ivory a correct colour for a colourless deck?

It's the closest the Dragon Shields get to the colour of the colorless cards. You have a point though, I should probably get clear sleeves for Emmy.

Also, I make up for the other colour using the colour of the deckbox.

>clear sleeves

Well then, ivory is the better option.

Both are shit, kill yourself.

I get where you're coming from, but unfortunately white is a colour in mtg already.
However, for 2 or more colour decks I would use sleeves that are a mix of the deck's colours.
BW is gray, UG is cyan, UR is purple and so on. For three colours I would use gold, silver and bronze sleeves in order of preference if there's no sleeves of appropriate colour.

Calm down.

Why are you so butthurt?

That's pretty clever.

(You)

>be a little bitch
>called out
>hurr have a (you)

This is why no one likes you

That said, I stopped bothering, so I have Neheb in cyan, Brion in ivory, Memnarch in pink, Ayli in dark red, Hanna in gloss red, Ghave in black and overall in random colours. Although I did get the cyan sleeves for Mogis on purpose

So, how viable is Neheb? Is he minotaur tribal or discard aggro?

It's pretty much discard, as there's not many usable minotaurs. I have all minotaurs that are worth including, other than that it's basically enchantments with lots of discard theme.
It's pretty casual, but last time I played, I played against 4 storm decks and I got a good start with Bloodchief Ascension and Oppression and it absolutely stomped. Later the water tower wasn't even enough to kill me

So what minotaurs did you use in Neheb, all the lords from Theros and maybe some others from a long time ago?

Anaba Spirit Crafter, Fanatic of Mogis, Felhide Petrifier, Felhide Spiritbinder, Kragma Warcaller, Lord of Shatterskull Pass, Rageblood Shaman, Ragemonger and Tahngarth. Merciless Javelineer is also worth including, although I don't play it.
So mostly, just the lords.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/21-04-17-nicol-bolas/

This is more or less my Bolas Vorthos deck.

It's a lot of fun to play, though I hardly win

So this is what happened to /edhg/

Why not make a Lorthos Vorthos deck?

Why in the fuck are you guys sperging out about card sleeves?