So I'm starting a Runequest campaign soon and I have some questions. But because a thread for questions is silly...

So I'm starting a Runequest campaign soon and I have some questions. But because a thread for questions is silly, and because Runequest barely gets any replies I'm making this a RQ/Mythras General.

First part, can someone explain to me how Spell casting works and why sorcery is seen as insanely powerful? It seems to me Magic takes so long to cast that most combat will be done by the time they finish casting. From my understanding of sorcery, for every component (damage, duration, number affected etc) the casting time increases by Turns, not rounds, but turns (i.e. a full cycle of every combatant using all their AP).

Other urls found in this thread:

hibbs.me.uk/snarks/sandysorcery.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>play runequest
>GM says no magic
[time passes]
>GM says "hey guys how do you feel about magic. I can't really have you fight anything cool because you will die without magic."

I don't actually know how magic works yet.

>GM wants a gritty system
>but still wants it to be epic enough like d20 systems
>won't look at Classical Fantasy

GM's huh?

We've only been in like seven combats. I don't think he wanted a crazy gritty system, just something low magic but with some possibility of magic.

I want to know more about the system? What does this compared to D&D, Dungeon World, 13th or other rpgs with a mediaval fantasy setting? Is it a dungeon crawler or is it more story based?

>First part, can someone explain to me how Spell casting works
I could, but it would be too much typing and you seem to already have most of it down.

>why sorcery is seen as insanely powerful
Because it is. What it isn't is "snap your fingers"-type combat magic.

Have RQE. RQ was the original storygame, cobbled together in the 70's as a reaction to D&D's lack of "realism". It focuses on character and culture over dungeon crawling and hoarding, with powerlevels that are significantly more down to earth.
OP's RQ6, aka Mythras, has around 60 pages worth of character generation. Once done, that character may die from one single hit - it's that kind of game, and it is glorious.

Why do RQ-threads always die a whimpering, ignoble death, Veeky Forums?
Why? WHY? They should die in battle, with a curse on their lips and with their gods watching. Even being gored and trampled to death stealing cows would be better than this disgrace.

Despaired, I summon ...THE GLORANTHAPHILES!

*Quack*

As much as I love Glorantha as a setting, I just run it in GURPS nowadays. Percentile dice are shit.

>medieval fantasy setting

The thing is, it's not medieval by most accounts. It's much closer to iron age and whatever the fuck age was Roman republic/empire

You should get the new Runequest that just came out it's way better. It's basically a redo of RQ2 I think. A much better system.

Also you guys should use Sandy Petersen's sorcery rules.

Just came out? Are you a time traveller from the future, user?
Still think RQ6 has a leg up on RQ2, no matter how reskinned it might be.

I got an advance reading of it. I super disliked RQ6 but I won't hate other people for liking different systems I just prefer RQ2/3 and the new one.

I share the sorcery rules if people want.

Do it. If anything, I'd love to get a taste of some new ideas on how to make magicks work.

hibbs.me.uk/snarks/sandysorcery.html

Here it is I found a website that has it.

I desperately want to run a Glorantha game, but my players balk at the amount of setting information and ducks. I may have to just run a Glorantha game without telling them, possibly in a conversion to another system.

Glorantha is a wacky place. One of my favorite things about it though is Chaos. Here's how I describe it to people that don't understand:

>The human wants the money.
>The troll wants the money.
>They fight over the money.
>Chaos comes along. Chaos wants to destroy the money.
>Troll and human band together because this is unthinkable.

Ducks are so minor than you could obviate them totally, I think they live only in Dragon pass and a few more enclaves.

I just told my players to make young characters and said it will be an iron age kind of game with lotsa traveling. Introduced them to Orlanthi culture by a short description and let them make their own clan, King of Dragon Pass style, by framing it as a clan elder telling a story and giving characters-as-children a pop quiz on history.

I'm currently running a RQ6 campaign, before that I was my groups sorcerer and here is my 5 cents:

First off, a turn is per page 136, every time a player comes up in the combat cycle, so when their strike rank is due, a sorcerer gets to add an extra Combat Action as casting, adding one turn to the total cast.

Casting is 1 + Manipulations, so if you want to cast for example Wrack, modifying targets and range, you have to use 3 combat actions to cast it.

Why sorcery is extremely powerful?
Some of the spells have crazy scalings, casting an Enhance Dex and Int spell basically doubles your combat actions (assuming you can reach like intensity 7-9 which you can easily start with). Casting wrack takes maybe 3 actions, but after that your combat actions will require actions from all opponents to even attempt to protect themselves, and if they fail their evades they are gonna be toasted with only their naturala/magical armour protecting them from fiery death.

Take even something as simple as the teleport spell, by casting this spell and manipulating range, you can zoom around the entire battlefield at instantaneous speeds, or if manipulating targets you can send opponents very far away from anything until you are ready to face them.

The most awesome spell is probably shapechange, with the correct category you can essentially turn all of your enemies into Newts or Shrews while simultaneously turning your allies into huge Lizardfolk or Manticores if that is not awesome magical power then I dont know what is.

East Isle is filled with ducks/talking flightless birds. I wouldn't recommend adventuring there though.
You should adventure in DORASTOR!!

So what are the problems with sorcery?
#1. All of your spells (except the awesome damage resistance) require at least 2 combat actions to cast. If enemies can hit you before you get to spend the second action you are pretty screwed.
#2. It's expensive in magic points, most spells require 3 magic points, meaning you wont realistically get more than 5 spells off from a full pool of Magic Points. In my games magic points are regained at a rate of 1/day (with a bit more through magic fonts), meaning that your spells are gonna have to count, even more so than the divine caster who just gets his spells back by visiting his temple.
#3. While your spells can theoretically do everything, your spell list might be heavily limited, so you probably wont have access all of Wrack, Damage Resistance, Shapechange, Enhance Int + Dex, Teleport, Evoke, etc.

So while sorcery is definitely the most powerful of the classical spells (Folk, Divine, Sorcery and Mysticism), it is slow and costly.

It is no-where near the crazy-ness that is Animism, but that is a different story.

I don't play RQ6 but 1 mp a day seems REALLY slow. What's their max 16 ish, or did you mean you recover your full mps over 1 day?

1 MP per day. The character's maximum is the same as their POW stat, so somewhere between 3 and 18. Though obviously, someone with 3 POW is so deaf to the mystical that they probably shouldn't dabble in magic

Nah 1/day with more possible from special locations. Pg. 175 of the core rulebook has suggestions, and suggest 1/day as a medium magic campaign.

I think it's fair as soon as you get away from the D&D feeling that you have to go out adventuring every day.
Going out into dangerous dungeons and casting earth-shattering spells is not something you do on a day-to-day basis IMHO.

It suggest 1mp/Hour for high magic campaigns, and that can get a bit silly IMHO.

If you want epic wizards yeah, if magic is part of the setting but you don't want everyone blasting fireballs it's a good deal. Peasant can make rituals for crops or protecting stuff, wizards need to control ley lines/special locations to really be powerful (and it's a great way for adventures, magic beings fighting for the best magic places for example), allows health magic without it being too OP etc.