Warhammer 40,000 General /40kg/:

What would Guilliman's mother say? Edition

>Previous Bread

>Leaks:
mega.nz/#F!3odCTLCa!5Jc-zB2-JJcYlT55L6FN8g

>Lastest news :
warhammer-community.com/2017/06/04/warhammer-40000-faction-focus-imperial-agents/

>Rules and such. Use Readium on pc/iphone, lithium/kobo on android:
mega.nz/#F!BxI1HSgI!0tKymKh9RZTzGpgIA5EyCg
mega.nz/#F!pFgm0RKR!J06C1gVYcjzNGsF8YNLsjQ
mega.nz/#F!9NchGZyZ!-V1LhJALxDp9Tw97WzEQGA
mega.nz/#F!z4wmmJyR!jTfwLczhdFjV0q6nowtGag!qgZhmAhK

>40k rules reference in wiki format:
sites.google.com/site/wh40000rules/

>Latest GW teases:
warhammer-community.com/warhammer-40000/

>Latest GW FAQs:
games-workshop.com/en-JP/Rules-Errata

Waaaagh?

Will the Primaris marines in Dark Imperium be at all helpful towards a Blood Angels or Space Wolves list?

A squad of acolytes all with storm bolters accompanied by a similarly armed Inquisitor holding a back objective. Good idea, or should I give them all plasma?

Buying some orks in a few hours
For 140 dollary-doos, what should I grab deal?
Was thinking of grabbing a weirdboy and some burnerboys, good idea or nah?

Primarines have limited Fighting options, but if you need guns or objective cappers, they're somewhat okay.

>low model count high-cost unit
>good objective cappers

How good are GSC Acolytes vs Neophytes?

Why did GW make their new units such shit?

They're not really shit, they're just not great. They're mediocre, while everyone expected them to be way better than regular marines, so the difference in reality vs perception made them seem shittier than they actually are.

If the book they just released is anything to go by GW was trying to make it so bolt rifle squads worked together with the special weapon squads in pairs.

It's like they actually tried to balance things so everything is "mediocre" instead of a few really good spammable units.

Yeah but the problem is these guys don't have a defined role. They're just Space Marines with some slightly tweaked numbers, but those numbers tend to be disadvantageous for them compared to regular marines.

do you guys think the synergy between poxwalkers and typhus's passive will be strong? they'd be unshiftable in melee from objectives

So what do you guys think of 8th so far? I remain cautiously optimistic. I'm fine with most units bring simplified and mediocre as long as everything's viable and the cheese is gone

To soften the blow to Marinelet players.

Regarding multiwound weapons what is the correct order of play?

To hit, to wound, roll number of wounds
To hit, roll d6 wound dice

I doubt the Primaris marines will be allowed to stagnate for long, if they aren't competitive you can bet that GW will tweak the points down a bit.

I'd like them to fit into niche roles in wider SM lists rather than be hyper-competitive by themselves

Hit, wounds, save, damage.

The general consensus seems to be positive so far, it's far more streamlined and balanced than 7th

The term is "damage", separate that from "wounds" to avoid confusion.

You roll to hit, you roll to wound, the opponent allocates wounds, he takes his saves, for failed saves you roll damage.

Does anyone actually use electro priests? I never see them in any batreps. Are they any good? Will they be good in 8th? Thinking about starting a Cult Mechanicus army.

They were bad in 7e but they're looking much better in 8e.

Okay that's pretty worrying, makes it hard to justify 25 points on a strength 6 weapon

They were trash in 7th, they are STUPIDLY good now.

Why? My buddy says they're bad

those are the aztechno raver priests with the hellboy rasputin gauntlets and not the rave sticks right? I think it'd be pretty cool to make an assault focused list admech with them and skiitari vanguard

Your buddy is shit and has probably played less than 10 games, if he's even played at all.

Has your buddy seen the brand new rules or is he still thinking of 7th edition?

Does this game look fun?

I used to play as Eldar way back until the the 6th ed book came out, but they became really boring to play, much too point-and-click-to-win for my liking. Also fuck all those giant toy robots.

How's the new edition looking?

He's been playing since he was 12 and is now 29.

He has a tendency to be stuck in the past (constantly quoting
4th/5th edition as the good old days). Why are they good? Explain it to me

We're talking about 8th edition you clueless mong.

It's a completely different game. It is literally just now coming out. All the rules are different. Everything is different. Your buddy doesn't know shit about it apparently.

in 7th they could use canticles of the electromancer to get like 9 attacks each in assault with the ability to shoot on top of that

Do warp talons get 3 attacks?

Mortal wounds! Mortal wounds everywhere!

I think so.

This is the same argument Tyranid players are having about scything talons. The consensus is no, it's just +1 attack. The wording is bad but will probably be FAQ'd very soon.

Yes, until the FAQ says no. Fortunately the game isn't released yet, so we can have fun debating leaks for awhile

No, I'm fairly sure they don't

What would be the point of dual wielding if they didn't get the extra attack?
Neara s I can tell Lightning Claws and Chainswords are the only things that benefit from dual wielding though.

Easy on the hostility friend! I know we're talking 8th I thought you meant in general he hasn't played any games.

Because dual-wielding is the only way to get the extra 1 attack. It doesn't go from +0 to +2.

Is it generally allowed for someone to proxy a similar looking model as a special character? For example, if I were to proxy the Dark Vengeance company master as Azrael, since Azrael's official model looks like shit.

>each time the bearer fights with this weapon he gets +1 attack
Actually I think we're both wrong, the fight phase section in the leaked rulebook states you dedicate attacks from the models amongst their weapons, so it is only +1 attack for standard Warp Talons since they can only dedicate the attack to one Lightning Claw, Champion has two attacks though so he can dedicate one to each claw and get +1 for each attack right?

You're not required to use a character's official model. As long as the replacement model is reasonable, such as the proper base size, wearing the same armor type, has the proper weapons, etc. it's fine.

It's down to who you are playing against and where. Personally I have never really encountered any problems with proxy models. As long as they are about the same size, look warhammer'ish and it is clearly stated before the game what that particular model is proxying for.

Well they both have the exact same wargear and have incredibly similar looking helmets so I guess it's fine.

There's no point in explaining to you why they're good because if you can't tell from first glance, you clearly haven't even attempted to learn how the new edition works.

That's like trying to explain to someone why rain is wet when they refuse to touch water.

It says he has two, and each one says they grant 1 additional attack with this weapon. So if this and that weapon both add an additional+1, sure.
Just remember you're paying for two claws and not one on the unit price

The wording is a bit obtuse, so I'm going to come down on the side of "maybe, probably not".

If you read the index leaks, the lightning claw entry changes to "if the model has two lightning claws they make make an extra attack with them", or something like that.

I don't play whatever army uses electro priests, I remembered my friend saying "they've failed with this edition, electropriests are still shit" and thought the wise minds of tg could elucidate the subject for me.

Yes. They specifically have two lightning claws.

Prepare to get your skulls reaped, filthy xenos and corpse-god worshipers.

So you haven't even bothered to look at electro priests yourself yet you refuse to believe people who have just because they contradict the opinion of your admittedly negative and nostalgic, and most likely completely shit at the game friend.

Thanks for telling us things we already knew.

I never contradicted you! I simply asked why are they good adding that my only source on the matter was a friend who said they were bad, I was genuinely only asking for a snapshot of what makes them good and adding conversation to the matter. Why are you so angry friend?

It is worded in an odd way.
I just checked the back of the Chaos Index for the Lightning Claws entry and you're correct, wonder why they worded it like that for Warp Talons though, it's pretty odd.
So 2 attacks for Talons and 3 for Champion, cool.
Chainsword still does it's cool thing thankfully.

Eh, they still have to get into combat and I'm not sure how much more durable they are now compared to 7th. Their weapons are much better but until we actually get a transport I'll have to see them reliably getting into combat before I believe they are stupidly good.

Yes. They make one additional attack with each lightning claw. The wording is extremely specific and any retard who says otherwise is a moron who needs to stop playing anything but narrative play

Is there any reason why you'd take blasters over dark lances on scourges? Aside from the extra 20 points a squad.

Also, why would you pay 30 points for a disintegrator over dark lances? I don't get it.

Considering they only have one attack base?

No. No they do not. Read the actual rulebook before casting stones

Does Chaos or Orks not suck now?

>The wording is extremely specific
>GW having good wording even if they try

lol

Orks are hella good, Chaos seems to be solidly middle of the pack

Any ideas on where to take a dark angels list that's using the shit from the 7th and 8th edition start sets?

Since we're on wording, what do you guys think the intent of phosphor weapons in admech is?

They all use the lower profile except the Onager Dunecrawler which has the top one on it's profile but in the wargear list it uses the same one all the other phosphor weapons do.

wut? they have one base attack, you don't get extra attacks if you have 2 cc weapon in 8th and lighting claw add 1 attack, so they have 2. As ork boyz have 3 attack with a choppa

I think the issue is more to do with how the rulebook itself is worded - it needs to be FAQ'd to read "If a model has more than one melee weapon WITH DIFFERENT PROFILES", yadda yadda yadda.

Still, this is one of those little things that seem to be a reason why the Indexes were sent out for general perusal, so that GW can toss out an FAQ on day one of the actual release of 8th

Not sure if I wanna do close combat Eldar or Wraith mixed shooty/melee in 8th as a new army.
Anybody played 8th with Eldar already? If so, what did you field and how did it play?

No, re-read the warp talon rules. they make an extra attacks with EACH lighting claw, so get +2

Both wordings just say enemy units don't gain a bonus to their saves from cover. They're both functionally the same.

Welp.

I played against Eldar. 3 Wave serpents constantly flying over my shit to charge and lock my heavier units into combat and their special shields that reduce multi-damage hits by -1 to a minimum of 1 adds a lot to their survivability.

and so begins the Guilliman Heresy

everyone already knew this. stop trying to make it like a big revelation

having used them in some test games, I gotta say the primaris incessors (their version of tac marines) are about on par with an actual tac marine squad, but slightly more powerful. The Hellblaster squad is a fun way to get 5 two wound plasma gun duders running around. Their jump pack interceptor guys are kinda garbage, I'm not sure I understand what their purpose it other than harassment. And the captain. That poor captain. He's kinda garbage.

>"You can re-roll failed wound rolls with this weapon. Each time the bearer fights, it can make 1 additional attack with this weapon"

They have 1 attack base, so you are only assigning a single attack to a weapon. You then gain 1 extra attack with that weapon, for a total of 2.

There is an argument to be made for the Champion having 4 attacks using this particular rules wording, but the fact that the index entry for lightning claws is different implies that the weapon entry for the Talons is supposed to cover BOTH weapons.

Either way, you're objectively incorrect, both by RAW and RAI

One implies only that weapon ignores cover the other is broad enough to mean that if you shoot it, they don't get cover against additional things.

The phosphor luminagen works like the latter in the current codex for Skitarii so I don't know if they are intending it to be a new version of that or simply just phosphor weapons themselves ignore cover.

I mean I'd probably lean toward the phosphor weapons just ignore cover since it just needs to attack to get the benefit, whereas currently they need to wound to reduce the cover against all sources for the turn.

It's a bit vague still and I'm uncertain what their intent is.

no they make an extra attack with a lighting claw evrey time they fight. You have 1 attack, u do it with a lighting claw (not 2) and get one extra attack. stop. you don't fight with the 2 claw but only with one becouse you only have 1 attack base

I want to say that this came up for nids in some faction focus and the answer is yes

They may make an additional attack with their lightning claw each time they FIGHT, that is to say pile in etc in the fight sub-phase. There is no reason only one lightning claw would trigger its ability but not the other.

You're fucking autistic as shit kiddo.

It never worked like that.
Finger crossed for FAQ telling us Talons entry is correct and they have 3A, than They are great, if not meh they are ok.

see you need to READ
> Each time the bearer fights
not
> Each time the bearer fights with this weapon
same with abby's sword

I feel like you're looking too much into it though a clarification from GW would be nice. If it stopped it from getting any bonus from cover it would probably specify "for the rest of the phase"

What did you expect? Something else would have been utter garbage. This had been hinted over and over again as this guy says. It is actually nice to see GW sticking to it. At least they did not fuck up this piece of lore

I do hope the Warp Talons entry is correct I have 5 Talons I'd like to use them as Talons instead of proxying them as Raptors.
Also do Warp Talons benefit from Greater Daemons bubble buffs?

Why yes, yes they certainly do! They have both the keywords necessary

I don't believe so as they don't have the demon faction and that's what buffs look at.

Rly? it's the same in this case. You have one attack, use your lighting claw, get that extra attack with the same lighting claw and nothing else. You fight onece per model per fight phase.

yeah but in the back of the book it clearly states that it's only the case when a model is armed with 2 lightning claws

it's one of those things that needs to be faq-ed
i fully expect it to go the way of 2 claws = 1 extra attack. Untill that point it's open for interpretation however

>They have 1 attack base, so you are only assigning a single attack to a weapon.
If you have 2 difrent weapons you mong, this isnt hard stop making it. If a weapon have special ability to grant u +1A it dosnt matter if you have 3 or 15A.
Same moron here....there was a wepon that give D6 attacks, so if I have 1A base I cant get more than +1A cuz magic?
Untill we get FAQ there is no 100%, Talons might be better at LC or that entry have mistake.

I want them to be good since I dont like Raptors being 1A base. They can shoot with pistols in combat If I got this correctly but It would be just easier to give them 2A base. I dont want to buy PW if I get 1 lousy attack.

Chaos spawn seem pretty good, only 33 points too. How do they compare to possessed?

At least fulgurites looks taaty in the 8th edition.

That's not how it works, dipshit, read the rulebook.

>If a model has more than one melee weapon, choose which ne it will use before rolling the dice. If a model has more than one melee weapon and can make several close combat attacks, it can split its attacks between these weapons

So yes, it does actually matter, if a model has only one attack, it can only assign an attack to one of its weapons.

IF it turns out that the additional attacks are gained without assigning, cool! They get 3 attacks base, and I'll be a happy camper - I want Talons to be good just as much as the next Chaosfag, but the wording isn't clear on it, so I'm going to be assuming the less-amazing interpretation until GW actually FAQ's it.

Much better.

They have the Daemon keyword and you can mark them to align them to a god, so they should benefit from Herald's and other greater daemons.

Yeah you're right they don't seem to discriminate between faction and regular when it comes to buffs.