Since the dawn of time, the armies of Heaven and Hell Have waged an endless war...

Since the dawn of time, the armies of Heaven and Hell Have waged an endless war. Drawn to the conflict was the Charred Council, an entity bound by ancient laws to preserve order and balance. It held that any great power, unchecked, threatened the very fabric of the universe. In time, Heaven and Hell came to honour the Council and its laws, for none were beyond the swift and terrible justice of the Council's enforcers - a fearsome brotherhood known as the Four Horsemen.

Amid the turmoil, the first humans emerged. The Council foretold that these weak, but cunning creatures would someday be integral to the Balance. Thus a third kingdom was named - the Kingdom of Man. By order of the Council, a truce was forged between Heaven and Hell. The great pact was bound by Seven Seals, to be broken at the appointed time - when Man's kingdom stood ready for the Endwar - a battle that would bring balance, and determine the ultimate fate of the three kingdoms.

But the Third Kingdom was betrayed. The Endwar was begun before the Seven Seals were broken and humanity, still ill-prepared for the Apocalypse, was obliterated. In the ensuing conflict it was Hell that ultimately triumphed over Heaven, some say thanks to the direct intervention of the Horseman War. Now the Earth is the Destroyer’s Kingdom and home to the demons of hell, monstrous creatures of the Abyss, and other, stranger beings. Heaven’s army, the Hellguard, who were exiled from the White City for their part in the Endwar, continue their doomed crusade, hoping that the last of the White City’s shame might die with them. And, in the ruins of the Earth, the last, desperate humans cling to survival on the periphery, knowing that Man will not see out another century.

The Apocalypse touches the realms far beyond earth: The Kingdom of the Dead is overrun by billions of lost souls but suffers under a ruler who cares little for his subjects; The Forge Lands teeter on the brink of destruction, threatened by the engulfing power of the Abyss beyond and unholy Corruption within; and from the Shadows ancient beasts and mad lords emerge to exploit the chaos. At the centre of creation The Charred Council sees all; it still sends forth its most fearsome agents to find those responsible for destroying the Balance and punish them, be they Sons of Man, Lords of Heaven, or the Dregs of Hell. Perhaps the Horseman still stand with them, perhaps they do not. Few would dare ask, even if they knew where to find them...

>Set after The End War
>Other Humans survived The End War like The Hunter, others could have made deals with different Demons (including Vulgrim, Samiel or the Chosen), Angels (like Uriel), or one of the many Old Ones (like Ostegoth or Ulthane), allowing Heroic Human characters.
>All the Horsemen appeared during the end war and were accused of starting it early. Stay have since gone on the run to prove their innocence and may have even split up to cover more leads / make harder to track.

The Charred Council are recruiting capable and power warriors from across the realms, Angel, Demon, Old One, Undead.
>Hunt down the traitorous Horsemen.
>Find this mysterious Destroyer, determine how it was able to turn the Horsemen against the balance and lead the hordes of the Abyss to crush the armies of the White City.
>Patrol Earth, stop the depredations of the Demons and unceasing fury of the Angels, find any surviving Humans and protect what's left of the Third kingdom.

List of known realms:
>The First Kingdom: Heaven, including the outpost of Lostlight.
>The Second Kingdom: Hell, including the outpost Shadow's Edge.
>The Third Kingdom: Earth.
>The Veil, realm of the Crowfather.
>The Abyss, primordial darkness from before creation, home to countless monsters.
>The Far Fields, realm of the Horsemaster and Phantom Horses.
>The Forge Lands, realm of the Makers and their Constructs.
>The Kingdom of the Dead, realm of the Dead Lords who shepherd the deceased to be cleansed of their past lives so that they may return to the Well of Souls, also home to a variety of Undead. (may include Argul's Tomb, but it greatly resembles Crowfather's Veil)
>The River Styx, A place existing between the Three Kingdoms, the Styx is a river filled with wrathful souls that became lost rather than making it to the Well of Souls and thus to the Kingdom of the Dead.
>The Charred Council's Realm, from this unknown place the Charred Council uphold the balance and send their enforcers to carry out their will.

Dead worlds:
>Eden
>Kothysos
>Ravaiim

Know methods of traversing the worlds:
>The Tree of Life/Death (exists in every realm except for earth)
>Serpent Holes, can potentially connect to every realm, requires powerful entity to manifest them (Vulgrim, Azrael, Samael, Crowfather, Archon Lucien, The Charred Council)

Possible characters concepts:
>Angel
>Demon
>Maker
>Maker-Construct
>Undead
>Abyssal Creatures
>Human that has somehow survived the Apocalypse
>One of the many types of unnamed Old Ones (Crowfather, Ostegoth, Kargon)

goddamn it I forgot the thread title...

So what's this, Godbound homebrew? We sure could use some more of that. Game is pretty niche.

What is this supposed to be, OP?

Godbound is an RPG, very loosely based off OD&D but heavily modded/redone for a high power level where characters are demigods. It's kinda like Exalted but more mechanically simple. And, you know, free.

Yeah, but what is this thread supposed to be.

Prolly dumping material, maybe?

An attempt to use Godbound to adapt the setting of the Darksiders videogames so you can play as an angel, demon, monster or some other thing on post-apocalyptic earth. The OP's posted things which have been written up in previous threads.

I'm personally not to struck on some of the ideas in , but whatever.

Oh. That's a shame. Darksiders is for plebs.

Yeah I forgot the damn thread title. Basically this thread is for a campaign setting for Godbound based off of the Darksiders games. I and at least 1 other user have been brainstorming content for it including factions, bestiary, premade characters/NPCs, and an Ice word.
I think I'm gonna redo the angles in the bestiary though. In Godbound they are supposed to some of the strongest foes faced and that does give well with Darksiders. So I think I'm gonna base them more off of the angels and archons from 2e D&D.

Fair enough. It seems more about using the games as a jumping off point to have a variety of fairly powerful creatures going on adventures together than a more direct adaptation of the games.

Nah, don't be like that, it takes all sorts.

Then again, I know I'm a pleb. You could do well ignoring me.

So are we making a character or a campaign or what? Favorite builds? Character creation advice?

Yes and also yes. It's more like crowdsources ideas. This kinda started out as a thought experiment to see if there was any game system that be used for Darksiders and now we have the rough framework of a campaign book.

STR: 16 (2) Check: 5
DEX: 10 (0) Check: 11
CON: 12 (0) Check: 9
WIS: 5 (-2) Check: 16
INT: 11 (0) Check: 10
CHA: 11 (0) Check: 10

Who is this individual?

Neat. And stolen for my game!

Steal away and have fun with it.

How in the 9 hells did you get a 5 Wis?

I'm the other user Op mentioned, I wrote up all but two of the characters and all the factions, mostly just to get a better handle on the system. I'm toying with writing up a proper campaign and maybe trying to run it with Veeky Forums players, but I'm still trying to learn all the rules and I've simply not got the time to do it properly for at least the next week.

From my perspective, more characters and factions would be helpful for fleshing out the setting. I've been working on the assumption that its sufficiently long after the Apocalypse that Hell has definitely won the war and almost all humans are dead, but not so long that aren't still some humans who can remember how it went down. Some point before Darksiders 2, if that's any help.

I've tried to build in some ways to add some politics (don't laugh) between different factions. So-and-so and Fancypants hate each other but are technically allies, Fancypants wants something from Dimwit, simple stuff but helpful for plot hooks. That'd be easier to do with more different groups, and the Faction system doubles up as a way to add extra places to visit on a map.

More plot hooks in general might be helpful as well.

I was thinking about making a faction for the makers, but are they enough of a presence worth writing one up? Maybe if the devastation corruption wrought was scaled back?

If we assume that Corruption only really takes hold in a really big way post-apocalypse, then yeah, in the time period when humans aren't quite extinct it'd be very reasonable to scale back the devastation. Could even give Corruption friendly characters something to do - hey, remember the giant eye wall? You guys have to build that!

As for Maker Factions, you could just do the ones in the Forgelands from DS2. Tri-Stone is at least as Category 2, possibly more if you set it before Corruption really takes hold, and it would be a good counterpart for the Kingdom of the Dead. It might actually be easier to make a Court using the NPCs than it was for the Lord of Bones and friends too. If you wanted to represent the Forgelands as a faction more in their prime, we can assume that there were quite a few more of them, before Corruption and the local wildlife brought them down to the handful you actually meet. Don't forget all the Constructs too, if even a fraction of them are still uncorrupted they've easily got the power to count as a reasonably large sized-Faction.

As another suggestion, you could say that there are Makers and their Constructs who ended up helping heaven and hell during the Apocalypse. The Tormented Gates / Guardians from DS1 seem to have ended up in Hell's control, and the Maker character I made up was based on that idea. A cat. 1 faction could be just a single Maker and their entourage of constructs off constructing things for heaven or hell. I did think about making Murias a sister who's had a generally better time working for the Angels, maybe its her team as a Faction?

Charred Council lobotomy.

Of course they are. There are enough of them left to be significant and if DS2 is anything to go by they're still breeding. If you want a faction of Makers, go with an ultra-conservative supremacist organization. The Makers built Heaven and Hell and got all of jack shit for the trouble. There's bound to be a gaggle of them mighty pissed about the whole thing.

Definitely a Maker. Young and book smart but lacking any real world experience. Awkward and brusque, defaults to his mentor's teachings in most scenarios.

I'll try to work on that after work. Too crap happened today and I didn't get to do anu bestiary work.