Love playing magic

>love playing magic
>fucking hate deck building

I will draft and play commander all day long, but I have yet to build my own deck. I am the only person in my group who has yet to build his own deck. When I try to build decks I get too many ideas at once and give up midway through. Plus once I finish something and I check the price I get discouraged and I try to water it down, thus making it shittier.

How do I cure this?

Find a list on the interwebs and build that deck? If the price is too high, buy proxies, print them, or play pauper

>hate deckbuilding

that's half the fun! but gives the advice. if you worry about what idea to go with, ask yourself "What do I want to cause?" and build your way to do that.

Stop putting in cards you like, just because you like them. Pick a way you want win, and every card ask "does this card help me win?" This definitely helps when going through cards. And if you still have trouble, just make different decks for each 'sub-theme'.

As for the price:Yep. Hobbies cot money, and MtG is a notoriously expensive one. Some cards are absurdly expensive for what they are, but that's just life. I own several $1k+ Legacy and EDH decks, 3 modern decks and a plethora of shitty, janky casual bullshit decks. And if every single one of them dropped to 10 bucks, i wouldn't care. I play the game for fun and leisure, not a status sybol

My problem is that I start with cards I like and I build around them, then once I find more cards I like that dont match the deck I am making I try to incorporate them, then the central theme of the deck is lost and I dont know what I am doing.

This is why I like building EDH decks over regular 60 card ones, because you can include a wider variety of things.

Isn't deck building a fundamental part of drafting?

Well yes but its under limitations. Its not like I am open to an entire history of magic cards to choose from.

What formats interest you?
I'm in a similar circumstance. I only draft and play commander but one of my friends really wants me to play standard, and some of my other friends are really into modern. So I could use some advice as well. should I build a deck all at once or just buy bits at a time? The first is better for playing but the second is better for my wallet.

>Playing sealed

No offense, but if you don't like/suck at deckbuilding, just quit. Why would you spend thousands of dollars on this hobby if you don't enjoy the main aspect of it? There's a ton of actual reason why you should quit MtG anyway: its fucking expensive, most serious players are spergy tryhards, most LgS stores are shit, most tourneys are cancer. But if you don't even like to mess around and build decks, just stop playing. Its a fundamental aspect of it

>hates deckbuilding

Well it's your time to shine! Every format revolves around net decks apart from draft and sealed. Just copy/paste some shit from the internet that fits your budget and you're fucking golden.

No, I don't care about net decks. The rewards of deck building and brewing are at an all-time low.

>as a new player love deck building, love making whacky card decks and funny combos
>like to limit myself to Amonkhet only to make a somewhat viable deck.
>Everybody despises Amonkhet
>Win or lose, having fun, unlike those that are emotionless win or dropout players I have seen at lgs and heard of at others...
>wonder who is the real player, the one that is having fun no matter what, or those that are there to just win?

How to get better at drafting without buying into mtgo?

xmage?

Do people actually use it? Whenever I've gone on it seems dead.

>like to limit myself to Amonkhet only to make a somewhat viable deck.
Why?

Because scrubs try to keep it "in flavour", but the only thing flavourful about their shitty decks is the Cheeto dust covering their unsleeved "tribal" deck. I didn't say casual mind you. It's possible to play casually, but still at a high level of power and skill

Sealed is not awful.

Team sealed is fantastic.

>playing last weeks decks

lol

Just build one deck without thinking about it too much. It will suck, but you will learn its flaws and improve it over time.
Building a prefectly tuned deck from scratch is really boring.

I miss block too.

>Building a good deck is boring

Sure, if you think curving out till turn 5 is boring

>that's half the fun!
For some players it is. Others would like to be able to forego that aspect completely and just play the game.

Depends on your budget, though if you plan on buying bits and pieces you're probably better off just trading for what you want at you LGS.

One key theme in each deck. Start other decks for other themes.

Use cockatrice or something for easy card management/draw testing when brewing. There's an option of uploading your deck to deckstats which gives you a breakdown of your curve, average mana cost, manabase etc.

One purpose per deck is the important part.

Cont. And once your deck is ready start looking for same function for a card but shittier (usually more mana expensive). Ie instead of buying real duals buy guildgates or whatever fits your budget.

How can you hate building decks, and yet draft all day long? All draft is is making a deck from scratch, and playing 4 rounds with it.

Also, why don't you buy a precon for whatever colors/ commander you want, then use that as a base to modify.

> i never was a new player and never had a deck grow with my own abilities.
your loss.

I'm your opposite.
I wanna build decks, and I want to know if they "work". I can never play the same stack of cards for long, because I'll see something cool and want to build it. I play online for that reason.

>commander
>have yet to build my own deck
burn the witch

Building commander decks is the second worst thing about magic. At least for real formats you can just make the deck as good as you can and no-one will chuck a shit.

>implying you personally could make a competitive edh deck without netdecking
I actually highly doubt this
>building a 100 card singleton deck in a format with virtually no ban list is the second worst thing about mtg
yeah ok

Nice "I'm bad at magic so you must be too" fallacy.

>doubt
>fallacy
fact of the matter is if you hate deck building and rarely do it, you arent going to be particularly good at it.

Either start liking deck-building, become a netdecking fag, or quit.

I don't because playsets are way to damn epensive. I won't pay more than twenty dollars for a card, and only buy one of for a commander deck at most.
When you have to pay sixty dollars for a bomb in a "competitive" deck, just one deck can be as much as a used car, and my rust bucket doeasn't rotate or get banned.

I'm building mainly tribal and block-based decks. Hell, pure theros block minos is one of my favourite

Lol, you think all players are like one another, XD

Welcome to eternal formats. Come on in, the water's fine.

Amonkhet is first set, so sentimental attachment, and why do I need the most powerful deck when I have just as much fun tweaking my deck after a loss making it better every time than copying a deck offline that could eat a ban or be super expensive, instead of playing with what I have and working around the problems with that?

>implying teaching people consistent =/= boring
>implying it is never fun as fuck to spend all your mana a turn, gain board presence, and refuel your hand
>implying good =/= fun

take your pick

I love building decks and looking at cards, but I've found actually playing Magic to be less fun because the guys I play with are competitive assholes. I've only been playing a few years.

Anyone else here experience the same thing? Magic is really cool but the guys I play with just care about winning. I just wanna build cool decks. It's a fucking card game, for Christ's sake.

this is the reason I sold out of legacy and modern and play edh exclusively
you run into this way less and the people who do act like this either are quarantined to a cancerous playgroup or told to shut up by the other 3 players

so build cool decks that win?

It's interesting you say that, because after 2 years of playing, I've switched to playing EDH exclusively, and the guys I play with (who primarily play modern and EDH on the side) are assholes during EDH, too. Which is contrary to the format.

Yeah, I guess. But I'm not the one who cares as much about winning--just playing.

I really know the answer to my problem, and that's to play with different people.

>It's interesting you say that, because after 2 years of playing, I've switched to playing EDH exclusively, and the guys I play with (who primarily play modern and EDH on the side) are assholes during EDH, too. Which is contrary to the format.
I had the privilege of shopping around for a playgroup when I switched over because nobody else was interested in joining me, I actually go to 3 lgs in my area now with 3 different playgroups on top of my dnd group that plays budget edh

Find a slid strategy that incorporates some of the cards you like and go from there.

Solo Sealed is horrible. There is no fun of drafting; its just a way to fill up the secondary market quickly by opening packs in mass.

fuckaround with Xmage and see what you like, it's not the end of the world if you build a bad deck.

>encouraging netdecking
FUCKING STOP!!!!
you are the cancer killing magic. its because of people like you everyone plays the same 3 decks and new players think they need to spend $300+ for a starter deck.

>Don't netdeck
Shut the fuck up. Just shut the fuck up you goddamn actual fucking idiot.
No new player thinks they need to spend 300 dollars on a starter deck, especially if they fucking look up budget decks.
The reason why so many people play the same decks is because they work. Now stop complaining that someone looked up "Modern Infect" on google and copied the list card-for-card. That's not why the cards are expensive.

People who complain about netdecking would probably be taken more seriously if Wizards made an effort to only print cards that were individually strong and could theoretically see play, rather than hundreds of intentionally bad or plain filler cards mixed in with a couple pushed cads that they design to be strong

When stuff is accidentally strong it is banned or format warping because wizards are hacks

If you could choose any arrangement of pieces for your board in Chess, telling people to just use pawns instead of a "netdecked" board of Queens would be retarded. Except in Magic the Queens cost $30 a card once they become in demand

I will never understand the insistence that people should try and play their own shitty homebrews and just lose forever to actually good decks, rather than choosing a budget variant of a good deck, understanding what makes that deck good and why it plays the cards it does, then going from there.

Even MTG pros just borrow decks from others to pilot at tournaments because their winnings already go to plane tickets and hotel rooms. The skill in properly piloting a deck and making decisions in game matters a lot more than throwing in your own shitty card choices that dilute a list.

Netdecking isn't the reason you suck.

>No new player thinks they need to spend 300 dollars on a starter deck
except they do, i worked in a lgs and i saw people just getting into magic spending a shit ton of money trying build a BG delirium deck or superfriends.

>The reason why so many people play the same decks is because they work.
true as this may be it's not good for the game. remember how many people were playing coco or siege rhino? how about all the people playing gearhaulk decks?
this burns people out and amd makes the game no fun when you're just playing the same decks. on top of that it take out the fun of deck building and experimenting with cards.

>That's not why the cards are expensive.
then why are they? please enlighten me

Don't worry user, I'm sure Kithkin tribal will be viable after the next set comes out

>no new player could ever just want to play the good decks, no, they must have been shattered mentally by netdeckers and think it's all they can play

>There is no fun of drafting

What shit taste you have, I'm impressed.

>people should play bad decks so I can have more fun playing against them

Are you fucking kidding me?

Sorry to burst your bubble, user, but limited is an inherently shit way to play the game.

>playing anything other than casual with close friends who also only play casual

You're all the reason playing the game is so fucking expensive.

I've been playing since 98, I played competitively when Standard was Type 2, and Extended was actually a thing. I've spent more money on more cards and decks than I'd like to admit. I play with a group of about 12 people regularly who've all been playing as long as I have, and we've all come to the conclusion that the only formats worth our time are Cube, Draft and EDH. But please try to sell somebody whose been playing for almost 20 years on the Roshambo-fest that is Modern, or the absolute bore that is Standard.

>Not playing legacy or vintage after 20 years in the game
Spoken like the true casualfag shit you are

>vintage
Teenage me wasn't about to spend over a grand on a Type 1 deck, and adult me isn't going to drop +$7000 on a deck for a format that is barely supported.
>legacy
What is extended? Fucking mouth breather.
>casualfag
This is an insult from people who have no friends, but feel free to share your pro-rank Mr. Pro-Player, how are those planeswalker points adding up?

Literally, unironically this

>Are you fucking kidding me?
no that makes sense

How does it make sense? It isn't my obligation to make sure you have fun. Instead of having everyone play shitty decks why not just play a good one?

i guess you have to fist ask yourself
why am i playing magic
to have fun
or to win

They are not mutually exclusive options.

I enjoy the game more now playing with better constructed decks than I did playing with the cobbled together jank decks that I started out with. If I want to revisit that I can always play sealed which I do enjoy from time to time.

Hmm, I love deckbuilding, but
I don't like playing magic much.

I get lots of ideas for decks but I have bad luck in game.

What people who shit on netdecking ignore is that, in the good to alright constructed formats, there are dozens and dozens and dozens of different decks that, while they may not be 10/10 tier 0, are more than competitive enough to play and win against tier decks if you have experience and within those decks there are dozens of different builds you can try and toy around with and fine tune for your meta.

Instead they'd rather paint this false dichotomy of "you play what you like OR you play what wins".

There's a big difference between building a weird brew and testing and tuning it to a real metagame and beating your friends jank decks a bunch and deciding to take it to an actual tournament and getting your shit pushed in. And a lot of scrubs fall into the latter and just blame their failures in "netdeckers".

Wizards just needs to put more sets out like Modern Masters and Innistrad where everything is amazing, right down to the common cards. That would cure some of the problems.

>DUN NETDECK >:((((((
You know how I know you're a shitty player and worse deck builder buddy?

Deckbuilding is what I love about magic. Using a netdeck is like tracing someone else's art and then putting your name on it, its pathetic.

Well if you're genuine I would like to have a dialogue with you about perspectives. I understand the sense of individuality and identity people strive for and the desire to create a deck unique to yourself is certainly something we all experience. But I would like you to consider from another person's perspective, how exactly they view the game.

I personally view (competitive) mtg similar to a fighting video game. You don't get to design your own characters and skillset, but rather you're presented with a wide and varied field of characters with particular strengths and weaknesses from which you can select a character whose play style you enjoy. Or if there is a certain best character you can choose to play them, or if an underplayed character has a good match up against the "best" you can play that one and metagame.

Brewing original decks is a fun and exciting part of magic, like designing your own character in an RPG. But many competitive players enjoy the game the other way, playing with established archetypes and strategies. Net decking is not a bad thing, just as brewing is not a bad thing. But by competitive nature, net decking will always yield the best results due to the fine tuning that occurs through extensive repetition

SAD!

If you hate deck building, then just put together my Queen Marchesa deck. It's pretty fun.

I'm excited

Most players hate deckbuilding. That's why netdecking exits. Most people just enjoy playing the actual game.

Tapped out is a thing

M phone is a thing too. And I like the pics. If you're on a phone, you can just look at them rather than having to click them all.

*My phone

You spent six posts on your EDH deck which isn't even really on topic and no one asked you for.

I'm not against phoneposting but Jesus do you make for a solid argument against it.

Fuck off. You posted this shit yesterday and got told the same shit. Hell, I told you to post that shit in the fucking Edh general, which you threw a hissy fit about and demanded to be spoon-fed. Your deck is shit, kys

You're fucking autistic as fuck. Holy shit, man. Get your shit together.

1) First time posting this deck.

2) You told me to post it in EDH General and I did. Even on tapped out.

3) I never threw a fit. But, it seems like you are. Crying over a method you don't like. As if it affects your life in any way what so ever.

4) Spoon-fed? I asked for suggestions. Nothing more. Not everyone knows every single card ever printed. So, suggestions are always welcomed.

5) That Queen Marchesa deck wins majority of the time against my friend's Leovold deck. So... it's pretty good and fun.

Six posts out of a total of 150 image posts? Dear god what have I done?

Hmm.

Also, the entire thread is about him not liking to build decks on his own. I provided him with a deck that i put together for him to try out. I'm sure he'll like it.

Nigger, you even started a thread

Why does everyone hate Amonkhet?

I'm in this weird spot where I want to get into at least MTGO but I know I'll get absolutely destroyed in constructed and since there practically aren't any f2p draft formats I think I'd just burn $10 and go back to Forge

And? I just said suggestions are welcome. I just said that no one knows ever single card. And that I was looking for any ideas to tweak the deck to make it better.

How does that go against anything I just said?

Cockatrice or XMage.

TRIGGERED

Who's triggered? 'Cause I'm not upset at all.