Pathfinder turned into a Vidya

A studio called Owlcat Games is making a video game called Pathfinder: Kingmaker, based on the Pathfinder Adventure Path of the same name.

Will it be good /tg?

Other urls found in this thread:

kickstarter.com/projects/owlcatgames/pathfinder-kingmaker
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Its Pathfinder, so no, it won't. Remember the last time Paizo tried to get into the gaming market? It wasn't pretty. Pic related
t. a /pfg/ /pgg/ regular

What happened to that?

It was a flop that even had a kickstarter that resulted in an unfinished product that ran on an outdated everquest engine, so it was never finished or released resulting in the only consolation for the backers to have was a bonus campaign module they got after the first kickstarter.

I regret ever giving these fucks my money

Think of every shitty MMO design trope, then add the pinnacle of craftsmanship that is Pathfinder on top of it.
Pazio tried to make their own studio for it but it imploded last I heard.

To be fair KOTOR is based on 3.0 D&D mechanics so it is possible that it might be good.

The problem with Pathfinder isn't just the mechanics, though that is a major part.

Its the company. Paizo is an awful company plain and simple

Was this a scam?

KOTOR was good for the story, not for the mechanics, those were just passable.
So they failed their Kickstarter and you get nothing for it? Yikes.

No, just rank incompetence of the highest caliber, such is the norm for Paizo

Yup. All I got to show for it is a pin (which i've lost), and an okay-ish signed campagin book

Every other Pathfinder post seems to keep pushing this idea that Paizo is like that bat guy from Eureka's Castle, always making big and terrible decisions, and when called out on it, just goes, "I meant to do that!" I'm not that familiar with the company. Is Paizo really that bad?

Yes. They actively refuse to listen to playtest feedback, they cling to the Ivory Tower mindset of Monte Cooke, they tend to chase out designers who rock the boat too much, they overprice their book exorbitantly, their idea of game balance revolves around the idea that 3.5e was near perfectly balanced, and most of they constantly retcon out or ignore the cooler aspects of their own setting, one of their Devs believes that Lawful Good can never actually be a form of Good and that only LAwful Stupid exists, and so many of theri adventurers are not only poorly designed, but are filled with so much agenda pushng and virtue signaling that it ends up offending the peopol they're trying to get praise from for being so insensitively ham-handed. The Northwest Ignorance Bubble is strong with them

Further, nearly all of their errata and nerfs tend to just shit on martials more and more, and come from the shitty playerbase and format that is PFS.

Nearly none of them know a single shit about geopolitics, actual history of fighting, governance, or anything relevant for world building, and their main setting is just a mess of wasted ideas strewned about the most lazy pastiche fantasyland amusement park

What cool things did the retcon out?

>Pathfinder

More like pathfinder: nonbinary KANGmaker

Seems legit, especially since it's a third party developer (not Paizo directly) that apparently has the core game down now. The kickstarter is just for extra shit like more companions, classes (and archetypes), races etc.

I've listened to some of the feedback the people who got to playtest it at Paizocon this year and they say that besides a somewhat cluttered screen the game ran well enough and reminded them of Baldur's Gate and stuff (which even the kickstarter says the game is trying to emulate games like it and others).

Oh well, I backed it so I could get early-bird download and the magic robe. going to run my cutie Halfling Bard queen!

For those curious
kickstarter.com/projects/owlcatgames/pathfinder-kingmaker

Found my waifu with the Tian bard!

>errata sgits on martials
Why. Literally why.

I cant find ANY reason to be a non caster from a fun and usefulness pov on D&PF

Dear God, remember their plan to make every server for the MMO full openworld PVP? "Because you can attack anyone in the tabletop game"

That sucked but thankfully Kingmaker is not being directly made by Paizo or an in-house production of Paizo. I think it may well be safe to say that this can't be any worse than Pathfinder Online.

On one hand it's Pathfinder.

On the other, the studio behind it worked on Rage of Mages, Silent Storm and Heroes 5 before (shut up, Heroes 5 was good), so there's hope.

KotOR's mechanics were a stripped down 3.0 where you COULDN'T not have the spellcasting equivalent and where stabbing/punching things to death worked fine. Not the same thing as 3.0.

Jesus fuck, Seoni what the hell did they do to you?

Neverwinter Nights's Kingmaker was pretty good.

That's basically how I feel. Some impressive resumes, but I worry they'll try and keep it "accurate to the tabletop" and it'll just make non spellcasters worthless.

Still, for $28 it could be good.

What the hell those pledges?!

Still not as stupid as SWTOR levels of privilege buying.

KOTOR had to do a LOT OF WORK, in order to unfuck combat progression.
The amount of work they put in to unfuck the skill system, or make melee scale against a flat spell list.

Compared to something like NWN, which is a fucking mess to progress in, because D&D translates really poorly into video games for 1:1 translations.

So long Paizo doesn't touch it, it could be fine.

On one hand, I fucking hate Kingmaker.

On the other hand, it would probably function better as a game than at a table. So it has potential.

I mean fuck, I'll do the same thing I do with any of these games.

Pirate it then buy it if I like it like the pretentious fuck I am.

It'll probably be at least decent. If we're lucky it'll be more than that. I wouldn't advise anyone to back the Kickstarter though, better to wait and see how it turns out.

It's a damn shame it won't have any DM or editing tools, especially considering its tabletop roots. It's funny that a game like DivOS2 will be 100 times better for traditional roleplaying than a game that's entirely based on a traditional roleplaying system and adventure.

Took her back to 2002, from the looks of those graphics.

Even starfinder can't try something different than the basic 3.5/3.75 bullshit that has infested most TTRPGs, so no it's going to be and stay shit until they try something different. Like not being Paizo.

KOTOR is from a different decade and it really wasn't a TTRPG, but a game with those mechanics under the hood.
Also this They are pretty shit yes. Add mishandling of funds as well.

>yet ANOTHER isometric turnbased rpg game that no one wants

Doesn't matter. Unless its a MOBA or a skyrim clone its gonna flop.

I don't know about that. Battletech did quite well and it's neither of those things.

What the hell is the difference between the regular download and the "premium" download? Extra content?

I can't find anything on the page about it.

I'm not too sure. I would assume that premium maybe gives you more shit.

If I can get an owlbear pet, then yes, it will be awesome.

I thought that Obsidian was making this? I have even less hope now. Payhfinder online was really mismanaged. I just want a not terrible game that lets me explore Golarion.

No, it's a new company called Owlcat Games (subsidiary of my.com which makes the games "Warface", "Allods Online", "Skyforge" and some others. The team working on the game though have been in the industry for years and years, working on games like Rage of Mages II, Heroes of Might & Magic V, Fallout 2 & New Vegas, Icewind Dale 2, Planescape: Torment and the ones I listed by earlier.

Also, it's about half funded now after just a little over 24 hours it looks like.

> Start the game
> Go to character creation
> Race choice is unavailable because it's a social construct.
> Class choice is unavailable because that leads to systemic oppression

what do?

the only button that lets you get through the process is 'Random' and for some reason it only creates darkskinned half-furry monks with all feat points spent on non-binary sexual preferences.

I'm not sure. The team is Russian and they are not too keen on the gays and minorities and stuff.

>Chris Avellone
Is that guy still a good writer? I heard that Torment Tides of Numenara fell flat on its face.

T:ToN was hamstrung by constant oversight by Monte Cook who kept stepping in and trying to change things from what I've heard.

Fuck, I hate those memetical warcraft graphics. Worst aesthetic IMO

>Remember the last time Paizo tried to get into the gaming market?
Like 3 years ago with the Mobile game?

Your pic is outdated.

Some pics

The last image was the party fighting trolls, this one apparently deals with a sadistic mage

Lastly we have the party moving through the woods.

>Yes. They actively refuse to listen to playtest feedback, they cling to the Ivory Tower mindset of Monte Cooke
Stopped reading here.
Le ebil Ivory Tower is a meme started by functional illiterates that keep misquoiting the same shit.

Yeah, it's a meme but even you have to admit that it makes some sense, thus the reason no one takes many of the feats and some classes are just hands down better than others.

Absolutely true but is just shitty design. They make it sound as if was some evil design conspiracy.
Is a fringe case of Sturgeon's Law.

I'll grant you that.

That said, I'm still excited for the game in any event. And shit, it's like almost 50% backed now. Wonder how much it will get. Didn't that Warmachine game get a couple of million?

>Didn't that Warmachine game get a couple of million?
1.5 Million. Battletech got a little under 2.8 million.

Chances are it'll do well, and I'm tempted because it's only $28.

Once they hit $500K they are probably going to add more options, but you can always adjust your backing of course. Go for it fαm.

Boy oh boy I can't wait for PF's shit tier Fighters and Rogue and Monks to be in the game while literally none of the good non-core classes are in.

PoE writing was quite nice. It is one of the few rpg that provides both sides of a philosophical debate solid arguments

Kotor's skills where great, and the best part. The parts where people interacted and the dialogue carried it for me, more than it's faulty Heal/Force Lighting combat ever could.

And this comes from soneone who learned english through vidya games.

What are the chances of running into cursed items like the Girdle of Masculinity/Femininity or others like them?

Patrician choice user.

Quick Runner's Shirt nerf was a goddamn travesty.

Indeed it was. Seriously, why was it so hard to just let them have another move action 1/day?

>The team is Russian
So it's going to have very in-depth mechanics and a shitty UI. Not to mention some sort of story written in Monday hangover.

Better image, user

The story is Kingmaker user. The side quests I have no clue but the main game is literally Kingmaker.

The story is overseen by Avellone. So there's a chance you'll get the best of both worlds.

>latino hot chick
>asian hot chick
>dindu nuffin
>green dindu nuffin
>white/elf hot chick

Well, at least they didn't go ME: Andromeda "every female must be ugly".

At 9:28 am EST it is now halfway funded. Under 48 hours even!

Actually Amiri isn't latino, user, she's just a barbarian. Any tan she has is due to her exposure to the sun and shit. Also, not an elf but half-elf (eyes are a dead give-away since Pathfinder Elves have basically alien eyes).

The Kingmaker party is hired by Brevoy, which is basically Poland and located in a region of the world where everyone is white.

This breakfast club of diversity to the point not a single white Brevic human is in the group surprises me. You'd think there'd be a white guy before a goddamn Mwangi.

There is a white guy, user, just not in that clip. Fuck, if you pay in a lot you get his fucking mini as part of the kickstarter. here you go, guy on far left.

There are probably other examples, but I stopped playing years ago and the big one that affected be was the Crane Style errata, nerfing it into the dirt and breaking the style into uselessness (where is still lies, AFAIK) because it was too good at dealing with humanoid, multiattacking opponents and 90% of PFS module boss monsters fell into that category.

The developer is Russian, so I'm immediately suspicious. That said it looks fine, I'll probably wait until it's out before making a decision. Pathfinder Online,etc.

>white token guy at the background, almost cannot see
>dyke lesbian hot chick
>same dindu
>same half-elf hot chick

Yeah, so prominent he isn't even part of the lineup.

Meanwhile you got a Tien, a Garundi and a Mwangi in Medieval Poland working with a half-orc and half-Elf.

I think it's time to fuck off with this shit now, honestly.
>SJWs are obsessed with diversity and representation in vidyagames, damn feminazis!
Yeah, fine, I feel that.
>WHY ARE THERE NO WHITE MALES IN THIS PIECE OF MEDIA!?
How are you any fucking different? Grow up. You /pol/shits are as obsessed with identity politics as anyone else.

Being the "bigger man" and acting mature in the face of double standards and hypocrisy does nothing to solve the issue. There's only one token white male in the party and he's treated as token.

What the fuck are you talking about?
Literally why does it matter? Why do you care? This isn't historical revisionism, this is a fantasy setting filled with people of fictional ethnic backgrounds.

>Pathfinder: Kingmaker

Christ what an awful name

Let's not even get into the idea a half-elf is all about miscigenation...

You're not excited to play Wayseeker Lordhewer Bosslooker Fargoer Liegeloser Roadforger Trailblazer Guycaller Routemaster Chiefspeaker?

More hype for Butcher, Baker: Candlestick-Maker desu

Someone on the kickstarter page says it is on track to make just shy of $3 million

Can you fucking read? We care because we are tired of them shoving this shit down our throats. If you have an adventure set in medieval poland-equivalent but your press-package lineup is literally 'hot chicks with dindus', then it's just another example of said shoving.
Imagine the lineup wearing t-shirts and holding cans of drinks instead with a fucking Wendys logo on the wall behind them. Do you fucking like it? Why would you care? The situations are identical for me.

So... a standard Pathfinder group then.

Go back to /pol/, the lot of you. I just want to chat about the game, I don't give two twits about perceived prejudices/SJW agendas/etc.

You must not like Baldur's Gate, user. Look, it's TWO blacks and a whole slew of woman!

This, please.

Amiri isn't Garundi. She's from the Realm of the Mammoth Lords.
> Medieval Poland
Golarion isn't medieval.
>token
How is he any more token than the fucking Black guy or Tien chick when there is only one of them?

If the mere existence of a black person in a fantasy setting that isn't even meideval(no really read Pathfinder lore, people move around a fucking lot more than they did IRL." is enough to set you off because you're that autistically racist than that sounds like problem with you and not the product.

So, are we thinking nightmare mode is make an entire party of martials, with maybe a cleric to wing around some healing?

I'm interested how the companions will work. I like the idea that they all have their own motivations, but part of me is also hoping for some new, original, characters that can grow with you rather than just using the characters from the tabletop.

nice strawmans, faggots but they won't do, fuck off.
The problem -- and you mongs would've gotten it by now if you bothered to read -- is that the promotional materials are structured in a way to showcase minorities in a very specific way when it does not make any sense, -- and it's like this for almost every single title these days -- and people are tired of this bullshit.
It was exactly the same when every single game had to have a hyper-sexualized female with ~zero clothes on as a promotional material, and it was just as awful.
Baldur's Gate is an excellent example, thanks. Nobody gives a fuck about Dynaheir and Minsk being from Rashemen or Valigar being black, so give the fuck up pretending the issue here is that the sight of the black person in the game triggers people.

What did they do?

Looks great.

Quick Runner's shirt gave you a 1/day bonus move action. They made it so the moment you use it you can't do anything else for the rest of the whole turn.
No one is getting "fed up" over it except Neanderthals like yourself. Each piece of promotional art has varied the showing of th e companions up, most showing up in 2 pieces each, the handling only popping up once, and I think Amiri and the half-elf wizard have shown up in 3 pieces. Considering there is only, what? 6 or so pieces of actual art (not game footage) I doubt it's a problem.

>Quick Runner's shirt gave you a 1/day bonus move action. They made it so the moment you use it you can't do anything else for the rest of the whole turn.
jesus fuck, thank god I quit playing before that happened.

I'd rather play a TBS game with Valeros, Meris, Seoni, Harsk, Ezren and the lesbo nigger hunting monsters and messing with ancient eidolons ala FFXII.
Pathfinder is the odd one out of RPGs whereing iconics are actually more fun and interesting than the shit people come up with.

>Pathfinder is the odd one out of RPGs whereing iconics are actually more fun and interesting than the shit people come up with.
No. I hate default shit. It's the literal cancer of the industry.