/osrg/ OSR General - Dungeons Edition

Welcome to Old School Renaissance General!

>Links
Trove: pastebin.com/QWyBuJxd
OSR Discord: discord.gg/qaku8y9
Blogosphere: pastebin.com/ZwUBVq8L
In-Browser Tools: pastebin.com/KKeE3etp

>Old Thread
>Thread QuestionS
Who are the chess hypermodernists1 of the OSR?
Favorite OSR system2 right now?
Do you have any original content? Post it!

[1]en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypermodernism_(chess)
[2]2e is an option

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=f-wWBGo6a2w
youtu.be/USg3NR76XpQ
flatlandgames.com/btw/about/
youtu.be/6KcQ6cH3MQo
odd74.proboards.com/thread/12118/chainmail-back-print).
coinsandscrolls.blogspot.ca/2017/06/osr-learning-dungeon-level-3.html
coinsandscrolls.blogspot.ca/2017/06/osr-boss-fight-basilisk.html
youtube.com/watch?v=urdf4g-LXk4
goblinpunch.blogspot.ca/2016/03/1d135-osr-style-challenges.html
coinsandscrolls.blogspot.ca/2017/06/osr-animist-wizards.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

So this professor has loads of non-/pol/ psychology videos.
youtube.com/watch?v=f-wWBGo6a2w

>Do you have any original content? Post it!
It's been forever since I posted this and even longer since I've worked on it. Kinda sorta OSRish using Skerpeles' meme definition of OSR.

I will have to watch this later

But didn't this guy start a controversy?

Yeah, it's been a long time since the last time you posted, I always gave you feedback of my opinion (I like what you'v done)

Thank you for it. I really appreciated it.

>But didn't this guy start a controversy?
That was the initial topic in the podcast in the last thread.

In Canada if you call someone "he" and the say "I don't identify as male or female, use 'xer'" and you call them 'he' again, that's illegal hate speech.
Incidentally, while in Canada you can call people "cunt" or "nigger" and if they tell you to stop it's legal to keep calling them that. Go figure.

Peterson said, "I'll call you 'he' or 'she' at your preference, but I won't call you 'xer'. That's post-modernist drivel, quit devaluing society."
And a whole bunch of people (neo-Marxists, his university, etc. but not actual transgender people) got upset about that.

>I will have to watch this later
That's an actual lecture, so you should probably wait until you can watch it in one or two sittings.

If you want to half-listen in bits and pieces throughout some span of time, he did another podcast with Rogan.
It's a lot less /pol/ than that other podcast, but it's still got a fair deal of /pol/ → youtu.be/USg3NR76XpQ

(OP)
>Who are the chess hypermodernists1 of the OSR?
Fourth for Chris McDowell.

the fuck does any of that have to do with osr?

never tried this out but OP pic reminded me of it

The psychology portions lend themselves to good narrative, and particularly good world-building.
And /osrg/ has no shortage of world-building discussions.
I suppose it also helps for running NPCs?

>

How do you make mapping a relevant aspect of gameplay?

Make wibbly-wobbly tunnel dungeons (), but with lots of paths between floors.
Lots of separate entrances and exits, too.

If people want to backtrack (or exit) run it just like entering (describe the layout, have them say what they do).
If they don't keep up on their mapping (or their mapper takes their map with them into a spike pit), they'll have a bad time exiting.

>Exiting the dungeon should always be a bigger deal than entering,

1) I don't know, that Chris guy. I don't really like Into The Odd tho. It's TOO minimalist for my tastes.

2) Beyond The Wall, anything by Sine Nomine, and ACKS jockey for first for me, depending on my tastes. I've considered smashing all of them together but I have yet to try and break down lifepaths.

>Beyond The Wall,
That's 5 different humans, plus artists.
flatlandgames.com/btw/about/

>anything by Sine Nomine,
Kevin Crawford

>and ACKS
"Autarch"

>I've considered smashing all of them together but I have yet to try and break down lifepaths.
ACKS and most things by Kevin Crawford are just houseruled Bx and Crawford barely adds houserules.
ACKS is one of the most heavily houseruled "actually just houserules" retroclones, but that should be really easy.

Folding in Beyond the Wall really sounds tedious and easy to fuck up though.
You'd have to strip out most of the foundation before you could start building.

I'm confused by these statistics, since the second question was about "favorite system right now," and that has nothing to do with people!

Yeah, most of what I want to salvage from Beyond The Wall is the lifepath system, since everything else can better be done elsewhere, and that lifepath creation system is such a pain in the ass to houserule that I'm probably better off stapling other things the other way.

My players really latched onto the lifepath system, though.

>Alexander Macris

I wouldn't call Adventurer Conqueror King hypermodernist by any stretch; it's way more orthodox. It's a pretty traditional take on B/X - a cleaned up and rationalized take on B/X, but it's not something incredibly radical like Into the Odd or the like.

just so yall know the MCC kickstarter is coming out in PDF form sometime this month.

woodley
I'll send pdfs to the troveguy the day it comes. :)

you are a hero user!

What would be in a LotFP Appendix N?

>Do you have original content

My homebrew. Feedback appreciated.

what's a good resource for information on the Underdark in Oerth?

New Revised LotFP Monk Class

Changes in Red
Please provide feedback

This is mostly just going to be nitpicks about the text for now: I like that you clarified the duration of stuff with the stances, strikes and meditations, but IMO you should do that the way you had it in the first draft, with the type of technique listed in parentheses (Maybe "Sta", "M" and "S"?). The way you've got it now where it's part of the name of each technique makes the names ultra-clunky.

Also, do you mean that a monk may only activate one strike per *round*, or is it supposed to be turn like it says?

"Battle Aura Unless your inner Ki Stance" is probably supposed to be "Battle Aura Unleash Your Inner Ki Stance", right?

The new flurry's good, but it's funny that it only works well in LotFP. Anyone who wanted to port this monk to regular D&D would have to change that.

D1-3

Will do

An easy one would be a good story by lovecraft

Is the D series not in the treasure trove?

So....I started playing AD&D last week. Holy shit does it suck. Sorry in advance for this but I just have to get it off my chest. I know this is OSR central but I like OSR games, I just hate AD&D. First off, the sheer number of dumb-ass crap modifiers I had to write down everywhere, were just annoying. THAC0 is absolute wank. It is completely backwards, I don't know how Gary Gygax continued to make editions of AD&D without figuring this out. It's like inventing a back-wheel-steering motorcycle over and over, and not realizing how fucking retarded it is. First off it means you need to know a monster's AC to attack it, completely ruining the mystery of the creature's stats. The rulebook is written in legalese and I had to re-read a section 2 to 3 times to understand what the fuck it was saying and make sure I wasn't confusing what I was reading with some other part. Also no one in my group has any fucking clue where the ranged weapon damages are written down in the Player's Handbook, which is actually well-organized even if the writing is abominable. Wizards are weak as hell, and now I understand caster supremacy in 3.5... the game was written by butthurt wizardfags who were sick of being second-rate citizens. Gary Gygax had a full hard-on for fighters because he wished he could be one instead of a fat-ass. Fuck him. Are there any games that have the good aspects of OSR (simplicity, rolling for hit points, low damage, lack of feats / skills, high-lethality, rolling for stats with stats not being the end-all-be-all of your character and more a soft determination of who they are) without these stupid fucking 1950s war game rules that are written in lawyer-speak?

Found it under GDQ, cheers

>THAC0
>Gary Gygax

Friend, THAC0 didn't come into the game until after Gygax left.

>THAC0 is absolute wank
This is either bait or you never passed elementary school.

A friendly reminder not to take bait.

It looks pretty much the same as last time, were there any changes you've made lately? I couldn't seen any.

Just for clarity I think it would help to explicitly talk about combat moves a bit more. Can enemies also do combat moves? Is it a roll to hit, then save or just save?

Time for a spell list.

If you want things that do disruption of euromodernism by encounters with the unusual look into William Hope Hodegson's House On The Borderlands. Lovecraft sort of works, the time frame is a bit off, but that's easy to addapt, Mountains Of Madness and Rats In The Walls stick out to me specifically, but lots of options. I'm not too into Jeff Vandermeer or China Mieville but they're probably on there. Vandermeer more for being a big part of the new weird fiction movment (he's a better editor than author imo). Mervin Peak's gormenghast. Gwar and who/whatever goes with that for the dick aliens side. Probably Heart of Darkness by Conrad and Frankenstein by Shelly, all the gothic horror stuff.

There is a what to read section in the referee guide.

>THAC0
>bad

Which version of Delving Deeper should I get? V2 and V3 have different names for the books.

children don't know how to do subtraction anymore, user-kun

>were there any changes
>I couldn't seen any.
c

Listening to the Joe Rogan interviews with Jordan Peterson. Good, Jungian stuff. In #958 he goes into the snake-slayer hero myth, relevant Veeky Forums stuff.

And it's because MODERN GAMES HAVE BETRAYED THEIR EDUCATIONAL PURPOSE.

1E AD&D in all school classrooms now

>children don't know how to do subtraction anymore, user-kun
It's not even necessary.

You add your roll and target's AC, if the sum is 20 or more - you hit.

No subtractions necessary.

Is Veins of the Earth somewhere in the OSR trove?

Eventually, it will be in [03_OSR Games ⇒ Lamentations of the Flame Princess ⇒ Adventures and supplements ⇒ 3rd Party ⇒ Veins of the Earth.pdf], but for now, got to [__Inbox ⇒ Veins of the Earth - Bookmarked.pdf]

has anyone gotten Swords of Kos and posted it yet?

>Feeling the need to convey your opinion to a group of people you know for a fact disagree and will not be convinced by your barely-researched argument.
Why? Why do you think anyone here cares about some guy who never played AD&D until three (four?) decades after it came out, and doesn't like it. It's not like anybody is forcing you to play a system that was probably already obsolete before you were born. There's about 30 RPG threads going on this board at any given time - why are you in the OSR thread if you don't like old school stuff?

What do you think of Maze Rats?

The Trove versions are a bit out of date,
but McDowell steps through it here:
youtu.be/6KcQ6cH3MQo

Alright, /osrg/, here's a question: as we all know the OD&D digests got pulled from Lulu at the end of last year; some fag on the odd74 forums found them, posted them and then got them pulled (sauce before anyone demands it: odd74.proboards.com/thread/12118/chainmail-back-print). My question is, are there new ones available? In case anyone cares, I own the legal Chainmail and OD&D PDFs, I got copies while they were available and just want to get a few more for my own use, those digests were really nicely done, and I'd rather not have to fuck around with formatting stuff properly for Lulu, which is something I don't know dick about.

Check the archive. I found the link in a couple of minutes and so can you!

Uh, not be a twat when you're being helpful, but did you try the link and did it go to an active product? The one I got from these threads before was kill, as I said.

Yep. Search for lulu.com, link's in a spoiler tag.

Sorry for being overly cautious but it's not worth the risk if people are doing takedowns.

>Sorry for being overly cautious
Naw, that's great. I totally agree, actually I debated for a while whether I should even ask for it for that reason. Ultimately I realized there woudl be no use for a private link nobody could reach to use at all, though.

This is so damn weird. I searched the archive, found a link (it wasn't in a spoiler tag, though), the link worked... and it's literally the one I had bookmarked that I swear was kill for months. I checked it yesterday! My bookmark works now! Fucked up. Still, not complaining. If anyone else wants to use this, the code LULU15 is 15% off.

a cheeky late night thought; your charisma modifier dictates the number of henchmen you can bring with you as a lvl 1 character. The henchmen are potential one-ups; if there are no henchmen in the group you have to wait out the dungeon crawl after you've died. New characters can be rolled when back in civilization.

>you have to wait out the dungeon crawl after you've died.
Bob's cousin Rob is just around the corner.

Isn't this how most people do it?

Bill the Torchbearer is a level 0 human, but then the wizard dies and BAM! now he's a level 1 rogue.

It's a matter of style and preference, I think the cool down adds a nice touch. Gives charisma and henchmen incentives to a new player.

I think a nice way to do the BAM! is to require that the lvl 0 character does "something of importance". That could be finding whatever treasure, making it around a trap, being the first to enter a special room, killing a man, convincing kobolds to trade lantern oil for some snake stew.

Do you mean let a player control the hireling(s) for a while and see what they do? Because that's a neat solution, basically a micro-funnel.

I like to keep hirelings amorphous so someone can choose one and now he's a level 1 magic-user or a dwarf. An alternative is to restrict them to specific classes or even level-0 normal humans, and playing them is just what you get for dying.

This may be a little off-topic, but we've been talking about OSR video games on occasion - there's one in the OP picture right now.

But are there any good video games about Sword & Sorcery styled settings? Conan and such?

Yeah, a mini-funnel just to make it so that you don't just throw a PC away and magically get a new one.

coinsandscrolls.blogspot.ca/2017/06/osr-learning-dungeon-level-3.html

Level 3 of Tomb of the Serpent Kings is up.

And the Basilisk finally gets a full writeup: coinsandscrolls.blogspot.ca/2017/06/osr-boss-fight-basilisk.html

And yes, I'm putting it all into a PDF, don't worry. Let me know if there are any unclear bits or editing mistakes.

Finally!

Who knows? Maybe I'll do animist wizards next.

I've been waiting for literally months for the Animist. Please no more trolling. plz

But I really want to write an adventure where the PCs have to kidnap the Pope.

But OK, I've blueballed you enough. I'll start actually working on it.

Oooooooooor, you can take the best from both worlds.
Write an adventure where the PCs have to blueball the Pope.

There's an entire table in the works for "Who is the Pope sleeping with when the PCs burst in?"

Make sure one of the entries is a Mirror Realm double.
(1-in-2 chance each of 0 popes w/ 2 in the mirror or 2 popes w/ 0 in the mirror)

Oh god, this is going to be worse than Avignon, isn't it?

have an NPC offer good coin for maps

This is much belated, but thank you!

>Favorite OSR system right now?
LotFP with some generous houserules. Looking forward to seeing MCC in its full form.

>Do you have any original content? Post it!
I made/make the homebrews "Ruinations" and "The Rogues March".
I also made that Darkest Dungeons Adventurers for LotFP.

ded

Tell us an amuuuusing story, /osr/. Your Queen commands it.

One time, Skerples posted pic related in the filename thread.

Since the thread is basically dead anyway, allow me to shill my new and revolutionary magic system idea.

Basically I got kind of the tired/annoyed at the old paradigm of 'wizards can do anything but a limited number of times'. I never really liked that way of doing things; I like that Fighters fight and thieves sneak around and Wizards do magic stuff, but that idea of them doing all kinds of stuff just with a strict limit isn't really my style.

I'd rather have limitations on resources like health or thief tools to be something similar like Wizards, instead of a strict limit it should be more nuanced then that. On top of this, I like Wizards being the utility guy and having cool and interesting spells and charms, but giving them too much freedom might make them too good. Plus I want Wizards to have a weakness, so requiring a wand, words, and hand motion to cast spells is a good start.

To remedy this; my first solution was to introduce a new mechanic. Wand allow the Wizard to cast a suite of simple utility spells, possibly rolled or purchased at character creation. These spells replicate the effects of a basic adventuring item and last a single turn until recast. Examples would be a torch/light spell, which just creates light. Another would be like chalk or paint, letting you mark things. Another may be a ladder spell, which lets you go up walls as if you were carrying a ladder. These spells could also be fluffed in interesting ways like the ladder spell; it could grow ivy along the surface you can climb or let bricks slide out from the wall just enough that you can use them as hand and foot holds.

The problem is this system is great for weaker and more utility based magic but what about level progression and more powerful magic? How can Wizards, using this system, get up into more powerful abilites like summoning creatures and so on?

That wasn't me, but I did have a laugh at the guy who responded.

Part of the joy of OSR is the clever use of limited resources. Having a toolbox that always has the right tool makes people with actual toolboxes look silly, and trivializes a lot of problems. Fluff it however you'd like, but the ability to cast a ton of utility spells eats into the design space of an OSR game.

>but the ability to cast a ton of utility spells eats into the design space of an OSR game.

So exactly the same as a normal Wizard then?

>So exactly the same as a normal Wizard then?

Not really? I mean, Wizards tend to have a toolbox full of really weird specific tools, like a potato masher, a left-handed pair of scissors, and a ladle.

Sure, you can use the scissors to unscrew some screws, but it's a bit different than having a guy who can summon any tool at will.

Macgyvering your fireball, sleep, ray of frost, and tenser's floating disk spell are part of the joy of /osr/.

>I'm too stupid to understand THAC0 so AD&D sucks
It's (THAC0) - (roll) = ac hit. I have never told my players what a monster's ac is

>Macgyvering your fireball, sleep, ray of frost, and tenser's floating disk spell are part of the joy of /osr/.

Oh wow dude, you can use Fireball to melt ice, Ray of Frost to freeze water into a pathway, or use the floating disk spell to move liquids or objects around.

Such incredible, creative uses for the most restrictive, least interesting magic system out there. Woah, I didn't know how interesting boring DnD vancian magic was. How creative. Much original. wow.

>Fireball to melt ice
Oh, come on, be original! Just because you think a pipe is just a pipe doesn't mean everyone does.
youtube.com/watch?v=urdf4g-LXk4

Off the top of my head:
-Frighten bats
-Emergency flare
-Cook a meal
-Blow open a door
-Dry all your clothes at once
-Scorch grass to mark a trail
-Cancel fall damage (if you've got a ring of fire protection or a lot of hp)

Why, I bet you could solve more than half these challenges with just Fireball, Ray of Frost, and Tenser's Floating Disc and not even use the spells for their primary effect!
goblinpunch.blogspot.ca/2016/03/1d135-osr-style-challenges.html

And besides dude, you already said you didn't like "classic" D&D magic. That's a given. I'm just telling you why I wouldn't chose to use your system. You're welcome to design, post, and implement it.

The guy you've been arguing with doesn't even use the stock spell system, but he's right about resource management

>you can use Fireball to melt ice,
Fire harden wood
Melt gold off bulky treasure
Momentarily blind people (used in the dark)
Shoot down hallways to signal distant hirelings
Shoot into th sky to signal; distant cities/armies/whatever
Extreme, abrupt, and distant vandalism (in town)
Melt copper or gold-trimmed armor onto their wearer
"Check" around corners (the fireball fills a set volume)
Cast it into a tube for a firelance?
Cheat your way into a temple without burning an offering
>Ray of Frost to freeze water into a pathway,
Bounce it off mirrors?
Trap it in a mirrored flask?
Make an ice rod timer (melts until it can't support a weight)
Near miss people from behind for undetectable spooping
Safely cross deserts
Make ritzy desserts
Kill people through windows without leaving (much) evidence
>or use the floating disk spell to move liquids or objects around.
Act as a "window pane"
Drop distant objects (torches, oils, whatever) at certain times
Climb nearly vertical walls
You could probably hang "ground" under it with rope to fly?
Actually, tie it to rope just to pump things with it
Pry things apart, if you have a pulley to go with the rope?
Lift really heavy shit (statues, doors, etc.), like 100lb./level
Drop really heavy shit (on people? things you need to break?)

Ok, here you go. Animist Wizard time.

coinsandscrolls.blogspot.ca/2017/06/osr-animist-wizards.html

>You can never return another person's love.
I was really digging this
>You will never find love unless you renounce your class and powers.
right up until I saw this.
They aren't allowed to have unrequited love? What about stalker tendencies?

>You can't cast this spell on an apple,
Your plants-are-animals apples don't sleep?

>I like the idea of a horrible dribbly little homonculus
...maybe add vestigial limbs?

>or by slaying the last of a powerful species (black dragons, elder trees, creation elementals, abandoned gods).
And I can't visualize how this would, uh, cleanse you. Or allow you how more filth. Or whatever.

Thanks for finally posting. I'll take a proper look at in in the morning.

>They aren't allowed to have unrequited love? What about stalker tendencies?
You will never find love, but love can find you. Lust and fixation are just fine. :)

>Your plants-are-animals apples don't sleep?
Should rephrase. You can't use the apple as a carrier for the spell.

>And I can't visualize how this would, uh, cleanse you. Or allow you how more filth. Or whatever.
Basically, it's giving yourself fully to the kegare-aspect by damaging the nature of Creation itself. It's more than poisoning a river or burning down a temple. It's about removing, and allowing a thing to rot, that will never and can never exist again, and doing it for a purely selfish reason.

What's the minimum amount of spell levels/divisions of spell power you'd tolerate in a system?

Personally, I think 9 is pretty excessive. I'm not sure if 5 or 6 is perfect, but I think 4 might be a bit too tight. What do you think?

Do you have Tiamat in your setting? How do feel about her being a Mesopotamian god that exists in your setting that doesn't have Mesopotamians?

Who's to say my setting doesn't have Mesopotamians as well?

I mean, I just assumed that most settings wouldn't. But if you do have Mesopotamians in your setting, then how do other cultures feel about the Mesopotamian god being real and tangible while their own gods are (presumably) not as present?

>Coins in the setting are made of porcelin
>Each time you take fall damage or are hit with a blunt weapon, multiply the damage by x10 and lose that many coins that shatter on impact.

Holy shit steve martin was never funny at all

Women's restrooms are notoriously even more gross than the men's
t. guy who has cleaned washrooms for a job

She fled to this fantasy world after all her mesopotamians died in this one

duh

While everyone else is asleep and/or discussing magic systems...

I really want feedback on this magic system. Basically, no spells levels, unlimited daily casts. One slot at level one, and one more slot every even level. At odd levels, your magic gets +1 stronger in whatever numerical effect it might has. It takes 1 turn to prepare any spell or replace one you have already prepared with a new spell.

I want it to be *balanced* as well as simple and quick to use for the game. Sound good? Or at least interesting?

> You cannot bathe
That's gross dude. Just imagine, no wonder why people don't like them