Kings of war

Does anyone play this, is it any good?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/playlist?list=PLnt2uvETjSKY6Aq35O_9khep19dLvebfN
youtube.com/channel/UCpUodTbAv0XfqvwwG2cBHuA
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I play it, my friends play it and my flgs plays it.
It is good, lacks some of the flavour of Warhammer, there is no foot of gork spell but it is my favorite regimental fantasy game.

It plays more like a historical game than Warhammer and that is a good thing imo.

People who are interested should check out fishbat and mastercrafted gaming for battlereports.

youtube.com/playlist?list=PLnt2uvETjSKY6Aq35O_9khep19dLvebfN

youtube.com/channel/UCpUodTbAv0XfqvwwG2cBHuA

Yeah I play it, most commonly played game at the club I belong to other then Bolt Action.

Easy to follow and learn rules.
Large selection of different army's.
Lots of support from the community.

Yes it is a really nice game and I like to play it. Simple mechanics make it fast, yet it still has got quite deep strategy and tactic elements. It is what warhammer fantasy could have become. Instead we've got Age of Shitmar.

Cool, what's the quality of the miniatures like

It's a game that exists entirely on the rage of neckbeards. It barely gets by on its own merits.

The setting is generic as fuck. Even more generic fantasy than warhammer fantasy was. It's mind numbingly dull.

The model range is usual mantic "quality", but the community is very accepting of using other model ranges, and the ones with actual pride in their hobby usually do.

The game itself is...ok. it's quick and easy to learn, but is dull and flavorless. But if you like blocks meeting in the middle then rolling dice until one block disappears (not even shrinking, I still don't see the appeal of not removing models) then you might enjoy it.

The game was the usual mantic popularity of barely bring played anywhere, then it got a massive player boost with the big Age of Sigmar switch and mantic capitalized on it. They pretty much advertised it as a warhammer fantasy refugee game, despite having none of the charm of warhammer fantasy. They even rushed out a book giving army lists for all Warhammer fantasy armies to be used on KoW, but treating them with the daftness of their setting. (Beastmen, for example are just a neutral nature faction being guardians of the forest).

But if it's being played a lot in your area, and the players seem cool, then give it a go. Admittedly it does have a lot of cool hobby potential with each regiment only mattering with the size of the base, so you can put whatever you want on it, like a diarama. Otherwise play whatever your local players are into, 9th age, age of sigmar, whatever.

Yeah cuz you cant play the game using WH lore....

It's pretty big in certain areas, ignored in others.
Better scene than 9th age.
Better game than AoS.

>Shit setting and models
Agreed as much as I like the game.

Still, the setting is being worked on, and the shitty miniatures are gradually being replaced as well. It didn't get an extra decade of dicking around like old-WHFB did. The shitty models are pretty much just from their first rushed launch, and they even pulled model lines as they rework them.

Existing lore isn't terrible and I do like a lot of the stuff they're doing.

>The game itself is...ok
It's 1-page WHFB. Literally. With overall better balance and generally designed to prevent a lot of the cheese WHFB was known for.

If you made a wish with a Monkey's Paw for a WHFB that wasn't broken as shit and clunky as hell, this is pretty much it. It's well balanced and fast for tourney play at the expense of cutting off decades of lore and sculpting.

>if you like blocks meeting in the middle then rolling dice until one block disappears
That's why you charge in the sides and rear. Otherwise it's about as dull as Age of Sigmar.

Model quality is getting far better now then what it was at first edition but some of it is hit or miss, Lore is being worked on and getting there, there are plenty of tactics to use.

Your GW bitterness is showing. GW not even once.

user, the anger is a feature!
It turns newbies into angry and grumbling veterans right quick, or takes all of their money.

Yes to both.
It's quick, tactical and a load of fun.

Starting to build several armies. Mostly because I like the big bases hobby aspect of the game. But netherless maybe they will see a game some time in the future.
What should I keep in mind when putting together a army?
For example I don't see the merit of Revenant Knight troops. Why shouldn't I go always for the regiment option?

Manouverability, sustainability, and what what you need them to do.
A big ax horde is good as a target to bog down an enemy while a morax troop hits the side.

I play it on at least a monthly basis. It is debloated WHFB, but in a different way than AoS. The game is very tightly designed, and it plays very fast as well. There won't be much to bore you. With the FAQ and the tournament pack it is a really solid game.

Very proxy friendly, so you can use any cheap 28mm plastics with it. Putting together a Kingdoms of Man army with Perry miniatures right now.

This. I like how the game really rewards actual thinking. A better player with a worse list will usually win over a worse player with a better list. It's great for tournaments, and great casually.

It's not just proxy friendly, it's not married to Mantics miniatures at all. They've said that you should just use whatever time and time again.
We play positively gigantic battles with 10mm miniatures sometimes.

Rule question for KoW historical:

How does basing of units with the skirmisher special rule work?
Are they still on a regiment base?

>WEB setting
>generic

Wrote quite a lot just to troll

They are still on a regiment base. The individual rule that skirmishers get doesn't necessitate them being on separate bases.

>t's a game that exists entirely on the rage of neckbeards
I sort of disagree, I've been with them since before aos switched over. Honestly since nobody plays historical it's to only way i can get my ancient formation fighting
>The setting is generic as fuck. Even more generic fantasy than warhammer fantasy was. It's mind numbingly dull.
>whfb
>bad bad lore/ generic fantasy
>laughing whores . jape
I fucking love my copy of the old chaos splat books from way back in the day, that was some good shit.
Regarding mantic I actually that they have dwarves that are expanding as an empire, and it has a more hopeful tune to it then the grimness of fantasy. Other than that i guess, then again WHFB had what half a century to build up to what it was. Then again it was alway HFE as opposed to ROME or MUH EUROPA GENERALALISE

>The model range is usual mantic "quality", but the community is very accepting of using other model ranges, and the ones with actual pride in their hobby usually do.
I'm foud of the greatshields myself and a dorf pike formation was great even if it was flimsy.
other than that, fuck it, the rulessays i can use anything so i use scribr, spell crow and citadel. they've solved their own problem

You losers don't even have a general on Veeky Forums
because there is nothing to talk about

Because there's nothing to complain about. You build your list, you take whatever models you want, you play a game, it just werks.
The games that maintain generals get their postcount on butthurt about prices, shitty balance, retarded lore or waifus, not actual discussion.

>prices
At least we get new stuff regulary
>shitty balance
For the better balance every unit is very generic. And they lack the special feel. HE swordmasters, phönixguard and white lions are all just Palace Guard in KoW. Which is pretty bring desu.
>retarded lore
And mantica is better?
>waifus
no waifu no laifu. There is nothing wrong with a little waifu posting

>At least we get new stuff regulary
Which is also available to KoW, together with literally everything else on the market that fits the scale and the army you are building.

>For the better balance every unit is very generic. And they lack the special feel.
Because they've been streamlined down to one thing instead of having special rules crammed in that amount to fuck-all because you are only going to play the best option anyway.

>And mantica is better?
I don't even know the lore of mantica, I just use the rules for WHFB, LotR and Elder Scrolls games. I do know that people aren't butthurt about it, hence no shitposting to fuel a general.

It IS generic. A country does not make it suddenly unique.

>I don't even know the lore of mantica
So it is so uninteresting you don't even bother with it

>Which is also available to KoW, together with literally everything else on the market that fits the scale and the army you are building.
Where are some nice army building posts then?

>Because they've been streamlined down to one thing instead of having special rules crammed in that amount to fuck-all because you are only going to play the best option anyway.
Okay fine ...but shouldn't be at least some nice tactics discussion possible? You don't ssee those either. Let alone list building

>The game itself is...ok. it's quick and easy to learn, but is dull and flavorless. But if you like blocks meeting in the middle then rolling dice until one block disappears (not even shrinking, I still don't see the appeal of not removing models) then you might enjoy it.
That's the funniest thing. That could be actually be a criticism for WHFB or AoS, but the whole point of KoW is actually the movement play and it is absurdly lethal : getting yourself charged in a bad spot means pretty much you can remove your unit, rather than the lengthy 4-rounds grindfest that the two GW games are known for.

>That could be actually be a criticism for WHFB
At least the 2 blocks shrink down some to represent diminishing power. KoW makes no sense
>or AoS
At least when 2 blobs meet, they pile in around each other and move organically around the combat and shrink down to show casualties, like how a combat would actually be fought.

They have their flaws, but the 2 blocks meeting and one suddenly disappears is a valid criticism to KoW

>WHFB
Your combat lasts 4 whole turns. From the moment of the charge to the end of the games your units are both locked because none of them will flee. Barely any movement play because lolrandumb charge distance.

>AoS
No movement play at all. Randumb charge distance. Randumb combat turns. Multi-wound attacks just kill more models.

You're pretty stupid aren't you ? His whole point was that movement was the cornerstone of KoW rather than the combat in itself.

If anything getting rid of model removal and allowing multi basing is an improvement. Removing every single individual model is a hassle, though it made sense for WHFB in its inception when far less models were involved. Not everyone wants their models to be glorified wound markers. It makes the game run much faster as well. Multi basing especially opens up to many opportunities. You can transport an entire army with ease. Most importantly the hobby aspect is greatly expanded by allowing you to make dioramas and interesting set pieces. At least for me the hobby aspect is the most important part, so opening that up helps a lot. I can actually model my orcs in a rough formation while my high elves remain in disciplined and tight lines.

Well, there is no glaring flaws, no trap choices in army selection, an the only unbalance there was (flying units) got fixed in the Wrath of kings supplement.

It's pretty hard to shitpost about honestly.

Does this game have anything to do with Flames of War?

No.

>wfb
Removing models was just hassle and didn't even affect the unit's combat potential.
>AoS
More messy clutter.
Usually by the time a unit in KoW would flee they'd also be destroyed in either of those games.

Bitter rage filled GW fanboy....lets it go man, let it go.

>no waifu no laifu. There is nothing wrong with a little waifu posting
This man's got a point.

OP, this is a good game if you are into manouvering blocks into combat, but I must warn you, it's ruthless. You can't give an inch to your opponent and the idea of "friendly" game where both pick minis for fun doesn't mix well with the game. But, you can honestly win with the most crazy shit if used correctly. Lot of fun but its hard to good at it (specially if the community you play with has played for a long time).

GW:
>I Love Painting Wound Markers!
>Oi! You 'ave to 'ave 30 dwarves, or it's not 30 wounds!
>Get stuck in there for 5 turns, then drop a six dice Purple Sun! That's my strategy!

Mantic:
>Make your unit look like you want, with as few or many models you want
>Rule of Cool
>Better plan for a flank, or you are getting smashed
>No OP Magic bullshit

>Why shouldn't I go always for the regiment option?

Off the top of my head, but there's more good reasons

1) Because you plan on getting them into a flanking position without exposing them, or at least getting the first strike, and realize you can shave off some points. Troops are basically just as effective as regiments once you're rolling 2x and 3x multipliers for flanks.

2) Chaff. There are "useless" units with nothing special and lame stats for low points. A lot of people don't seem to take them, but this is their purpose when they're not being used as a sponge. Literal area-denial by blocking.

3) Area denial via offensive coverage. Once you've played for a bit you'll realize that having two separate units can be worth more points than one larger unit.

The min-maxing in KoW is not list-building cheese like WHFB, so much as point efficiency on the field which will make you start seeing the 20/20 hindsight on when you didn't need as big of a unit as you played.

>2 blocks meeting and one suddenly disappears is a valid criticism to KoW
>getting yourself charged in a bad spot means pretty much you can remove your unit, rather than the lengthy 4-rounds grindfest that the two GW games are known for.

I don't think either system is perfect, but KoW wins out for all the practical reasons.

What's important to me is a lot of people who grew up with GW went from having Fridays & Weekends for 4-6 hours grindfests powered by junk food-
-but ain't nobody got time for that shit anymore.

I'm fucking ecstatic they could make large scale fantasy combat actually function in under an hour.
Better yet, it's less broken than WHFB, and yes, shit actually moves around on the board more with significance.

It's been a lot of fun, once I let go of WHFB fluff. Mantic is working to get the game to the level GW had WHFB after 20 years in a 6 year time frame.
The rules are very tight, and little to no slop in play; Mantic and the Rules Committee are open and vocal about questions and game play.

I will miss WHFB, but KoW is the heir to rank and flank.
The 9th Age is well-intentioned, and is supported by many people I played against in 8th edition GTs, but it's just a full clone of 8th edition. I might play a game once a year, and I am intrigued by the community sourcing of it, but until it lands a corporate support, it will be one of those games that is always a bit on shaky ground. (And they need to stop with the release schedule being so unpredictable.)

Somehow Mantic isn't that good in generating excitement for their KoW products.

I really would like to have more buzz about the summer campaign-book.

I guess I am one of those persons that misses at least a little of the general Warhammer drama

They are doing it with Beasts of War, so I expect a little more in the way of promotion. I am definitely hyped for the book coming after the campaign though. I want to see more scenarios and siege rules among other things.

Fully agree, I'm interested in the campaign book and the skirmish rules, but they are too honest and direct without feeding us any hype.

Even so the new heroes looks good.

I plan on grabbing the temptress when she goes on sale. I might even use her over my Confrontation succubus from now on as the model isn't bad.

Yeah, I'm thinking the same. Also the arabic wizard and the whip girl look cool; no idea if I'm every going to use them but the models look fun for rpg shit or skirmish games.

I love when mantic goes true scale. They tend to ace them. When they go cartoony is when the shit starts appearing.

I always got the feel that mantic wanted to be different for difference sake. Which is crap.

Tell me what you want but the Warhammer fantasy design of characters, races, weapons, armor, architecture is top notch. They should have tried to go with a similar style and trying to add their own stuff. Like the trident realm.

Thse are actually pretty cool.

We wuz Kangz of War

They really could do some cool african inspired nation.

Hyena beastmen as shocktroops,
Lion beastmen as elites,
Elefant beastmen as trollthings,
Human Zulus as chaff,
Witch doctors,

any more ideas?

Those leopard-suit assassin-society guys?

Weird-ass cryptids as monstrous assets?

Oh, also man eating tree of Madagascar!

I want those miniatures right now!

A Grootslang, Conga-Mato or a Mngwa would look awesome on the table.

I like your idea.

>According to legend, the Grootslang is a primordial creature as old as the world itself. Tales state that gods (who were new to the crafting of things) made a terrible mistake in the Grootslang's creation, and gave it tremendous strength, cunning, and intellect. Realizing their mistake, the gods split the Grootslang into separate creatures and thus created the first elephants and the first snakes. But one of the original Grootslangs escaped, and from this first sire all other Grootslangs were born. It is claimed to devour elephants by luring them into its cave. The cave is known as the "Wonder Hole" or the "Bottomless Pit". Supposedly, it connects to the sea which is 40 miles away. According to local legend, the cave is filled with diamonds. It is also said to live in warm rivers and lakes.

See? Fits right into a fantasy setting.

this dorf looks perfect in dorf fort

Force of Nature can be used to run this

Their whole abyssal line is pretty good imo. I love the plastic fiend kit.

Yeah besides the zulus there are not a lot of the other stuff in 28mm miniature form

What is the minimum pointnumber where games make sense? 750 points?

There may be Crocodile games doing stuff but other than that idk really

1000 points it's better imho,

Does this make sense?

Not so sure about BoTG on the zombies, they are just there to eat arrows and charges so your other units can go about unmolested right?

At this point range it makes kinda sense, I doubt blessing of the gods on the zombie horde is that good. I'd drop the ghouls and increase the lifeleech of your units by one (dogs?).

Also your list probably lacks of a hard-hitting flanker like wights or werewolves.

Okay version 2

I would like to keep the ghouls since they are already painted. Also I am kinda limited since I bought a used (but unpainted) Vampire count army

There's about a dozen players or so in my area, so enough that I can usually get a game. They're all refugees from WHFB, though, and the conversation STILL mostly centers around being butthurt about AoS, which can get tiresome.
It's a perfectly serviceable game with a reasonably sized community, so it's not a terrible choice if you're looking for a cheap alternative to the big games and miss block-based movement.

the ghouls

Well, ghouls generally make a good unit to put on the flanks of your army since you don't need to babysit them with a necromancer. You can use them but be careful, they aren't that tanky.

>Losers
>not having a general on Veeky Forums
I'm sorry that does add up, generally having a lack of whinging neckbeards chimping out is a sign of a healthy community.
More to the point, most generals are mostly shitposting
take 40kg - you had cheatas, gay dark angels, geenstealers, chad marines etc and that's since the last time i've been there.
in HH there was a bunch of armour autism
/fowg/ is mostly silent until someone begins to bitch about asiatic hordes.
/aos/ had a whole bunch of russia fag shitposting

Yep people are too busy having fun and playing the game then bitching about it, easy to see here the only people whining about it are broken lost soul GW Fanboys.

Skeleton warrior regiment ready.

The whole "army" till now.

Nice gouls. My recommendation is to mostly use them as troop, but if you play with them as a regiment, I would probably use them more independant to the main army force that is being pushed by a necromancer.

My recommendation is to use the spearmans as troops or regiments, the deal is that they are too expensive as a tarpit and too ineffective as a strong force.

If you could change the skeletong warrior and spear for revenant hordes with two handed weapons you are probably going to have a better anvil, or two regiments protecting the flanks of your zombies they could find good ways to both flank and eat damage.

Generally, its not a bad list, but I would add some magical items like the grimmory that give extra surge.

Nice,they are yours? I love the crypt in the necros, very fetching.

Yeah ...since I don't have anyone to play with a lot of hobby time goes into modeling and painting.

Pic shows the upcoming horde/legion base for my zombies

Awesome,from where did you get that? It remind me to old good WHFb.

Morrs garden. You can still get it from GW. Realy nice set of terrain