pastebin.com/8v8cK2BX
mariowiki.com/Main_Page
youtube.com/watch?v=VJ-drBrCVJg
youtube.com/watch?v=2HiuHoQxi4c
youtube.com/watch?v=t-9xbgTHpLA
youtube.com/watch?v=n5_xMxUO7yU
pastebin.com/XMQ0GWLT
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I was not anticipating this would ever go on to a second thread in a row, to say nothing of a Discord or new games getting put together on the spot.

Nice success, no?

I can't wait to see more stories told in these threads of successful games. Last thread had plenty of other people organizing games as well.

I'm glad theres more threads of this even if it risks becoming a general. I've been craving the chance to play this system for a while, but I've had other things going on so I'll live vicariously through other players.

I'm gonna be the Blue Shell here and say that Generals are not necessarily an issue, but the fact that they're a refuge from the rest of the board is. Generals are used the way they are because they're relatively coherent and less bile-filled than external threads. /pfg/pgg/, while a degenerate mess, is at least capable of discussing the system without devolving into a Hate-filled thread that repeats itself even more often than a general does.

Posting Links!

LINKS
>Rules 1d4chan.org/wiki/Super_Mario_RPG

>Additional Races
pastebin.com/6HHbLh7c

>Old Thread

>Campain RP Archive
akey.ca/gbrp/index.php

>Gameplay Test Log 1
pastebin.com/tqZPyfdz

>Gameplay Test Log 2
pastebin.com/8v8cK2BX

>Super Mario Wiki
mariowiki.com/Main_Page

For the record, those two logs are ancient and should not be held as indicative of the current state of the game.

Also, that list of additional races is unofficial and not my own. You can create your own interpretation of any of the races listed therein.

Yeah, my intent isn't for this to be a general, just that it stays up while the Discord games are going. That way we have some continuity on the board.

Really looking forward to playing my first game of this on Sunday. The Shy-Knight shall not fail his duty!

PDF user here. Hard drive crashed and I lost most of the assets I created. Will be starting over and actually remembering to use my cloud storage this time.

Are flurries basically snow-goombas on ice-skates?

Probably not, considering that they are pretty much exclusive to Subcon

More content

Such as?

I got yet content right here!
Here's a character sheet.

I still need to update this... I can do so tomorrow. Along with the quick start guide.

OMG!
Please do!

Here's an adventure using a different system. But you can still use the cool boo cut-outs.

THOUGHT: You can spend 1 PP at chargen for an additional Perk.

Y/N

Seems fair enough.

I like the concept, but wonder how abusable it could be if you spend most or all your PP on perks.

1) Perks are meant to be small bonuses that pop up once in a while as some additional flavor to your character.
2) You would be without weapons, armor, items and other neat little doo-dads.
3) Your GM can say "no, stop being a cunt."

I find that whenever I make characters I often end up using PP on flat stat boosts from equipment because I have nothing better to use it on, so I think perks would be great as a more flexible alternative option to that.
Given the nature of perks requiring a specific situation, I doubt it would break things at all. Especially since, presumably, perks are so narrow in range that it would be extremely rare for more than one of them to apply to a single check.
If it does cause imbalance issues, it'll be in the far harder to detect manner of one character having a range of abilities far wider than intended, rather than the more obvious manner of a character being outlandishly good in a single field.

>your GM can say "no, stop being a cunt".

My favourite part of being a GM.

Seems good.

So it was agreed, so it shall be. You can now purchase an Perk for 1 PP at chargen.

Also, I increased the threshold for random stat gain when you level up from rolling just a 6 to rolling a 5 or 6. This is to reduce the chance of "dead levels" where you get nothing from the level up (not counting the free point you can apply wherever).

I also approve of this.

>Question about traits: I feel that traits are not well defined. In what way are traits distinct from Equipment, Perks, and Specials?

>Perk
I get a [+1 / +2 if specific] bonus when doing [an action, of variable specificity

>Trait
A trait is a passive ability. They don't cost FP and have limited combat usage - they can't deal damage straight-up.

The ability for a Boo to manipulate their shame or density, the addition of wings or spikes, a Bob-omb with a unique detonation trigger, a size difference, etc. etc.

I agree that some of the Traits listed are very... ambiguous. For example, alternate shells for Koopas or masks for Shy Guys -do- seem like equipment to me. In addition, the ability to 'breathe ice or fire' does sound like a Special, but note that actually utilizing it for combat purposes is not included. It's purely utility / narrative as a Trait.

>Equipment
Equipment are actual tangible objects. Again, some Traits -are- kinda weirdly overlapping with this categories, but beyond those, it's a pretty clear separation. Equipment can have Perk or Trait like abilities, but the difference is that they aren't intrinsic to you. They aren't an inseparable part of you. You can get disarmed, separated from your stuff, or your equipment may even be destroyed!

Traits are indeed a bit nebulous, but more than anything, they provide that little bit of extra flavor to a character. Some traits are more concrete and offer a mechanical incentive, like Koopas getting a special shell or a Shy Guy wearing a Snifit mask; while those sorts of things could be expressed as part of gear, it's a little easier to get the idea across when lumped in with the other traits. Others are more tangential or otherwise don't offer much on the surface, like a Boo looking more humanoid, a Bob-omb rolling around on wheels or a Toad's spots glowing in the dark (though I can see how you might get some use out of the latter).

As described at the top of the section, traits are something that occur and affect your character on a relatively deep and intrinsic level; in certain respects, many instances can be considered the luck of the genetic lottery. Put bluntly, traits are a way to represent your character's small quirks that aren't already expressed by your gear or perks. There's no guarantee of a mechanical bonus to any trait you take, and to me, that's perfectly fine. This isn't a game that places emphasis on optimization, but rather on personalization and expression. One character I saw created an honest-to-God Shy Girl by starting with a Shy Guy and spending a PP for a trait to make them more human-like - I called it a "human-esque growth spurt."

tl;dr - Traits are the miscellaneous bin where you fill out the rest of your character's personalization.

Aren't masks or shells gear rather than quirks?

Functionally, yes, but they are intrinsic to the Koopa or Shy Guy as a character. Besides, you already have the "1 PP for a weapon/armor," so it's not like you're not getting the same thing.

If I might give my perspective, any traits that involve physical items are most likely items that the character acquired before the story starts, and are an opportunity for the player to create a story of why and how they ended up with it, or serve to allow various sub-species of the main races without having to make it a completely seperate race (snifits being specialized shy guys, all the various types of koopas, etc.

>One character I saw created an honest-to-God Shy Girl
I have been mentioned, yee

To be fair, if the game we played was something other than galactic adventures, I would've probably made a Shy Girl instead of an Inkling, as that was my FIRST character concept.

Thanks.
That helps a lot.

Bumpin with my old character portrait

I scarcely remember that character.

Game I used her in didn't last long, but it was cool.

She was a dead warrior princess that haunted her hammer.

Might want to try using her again if I ever get involved in a real campaign of this game.

Cool

What sort of danky kong is this

youtube.com/watch?v=VJ-drBrCVJg
youtube.com/watch?v=2HiuHoQxi4c
Proof positive that when Donkey Kong gets serious, he becomes a force of nature.

I've never heard of this game, although that explains nicely why exactly Donkey Kong was a guest character in Punch-Out.

Now i want to do a Kong campaign

I love Fist of the Donk-Star!

>no Bandit race with Baseball Class or Zeus Class option
>no Hammer Bros. race with Fire/Ice, Boomerang, Sumo Bro, or Yo Bro

There is so much potential here that it's ridiculous. I mean it now!

Just make it yourself, nerd. It's a very freeform system.

o-ok, sorry

Man, I've been looking for something like this though. I'm impressed there's this much work put into it. Congrats to all involved.

I'd argue that neither of those are/need unique races but rather variants of Shy Guy and Koopa races respectively.

Mario games have a bunch of different races, including plenty that only exist in one game, trying to get all of them in core is a fools errand ESPECIALLY when a lot of those are just variants in appearance/ability from the core races which can easily be represented by quirks.

A fair point. Thanks, user.

Took me like 5 minutes or research and typing...

>SLUGGER GUY

>RACE
>Shy Guy

>TRAITS
>Tall Guy: Taller than the average shy guy
>Baseball Boy: This character is a member of a baseball team. He can use teamwork specials with other Baseball Boys

>PERKS
>Homerun: +1 when you roll a counter against a thrown weapon while wielding a baseball bat

>GEAR
>Baseball Mask: protects your face against projectiles
>Baseball Bat: melee weapon that can also be used to make ranged attacks when batting small items
>Cleats: helps you dig into lose soil

>SPECIAL
>Blazing Swing: As a ranged attack or after a successful counter against a thrown weapon, you can turn a normal projectile into a fiery projectile which you launch at your opponent like a meteor.

I'm open to critique from a GM. Treat this like a normal character submission for one of your games.

>tits

>I still need to update this... I can do so tomorrow. Along with the quick start guide.

>Home Run: The Slugger Guy can reflect a ranged attack using a melee counter. Not all attacks can be reflected.
Tha's how I'd do it.

youtube.com/watch?v=t-9xbgTHpLA

I know my next character

Pretty awesome

Now for a Bandit character, I'm thinking some sort of slight of hand or a disarm ability

>Base race: Shy Guy
>Sticky Fingers: +1 to pickpocketing and lockpicking checks (uses Speed)
>Yoink!: On a successful melee attack with greater than three degrees of success, steal or otherwise disarm a single piece of equipment from the enemy. Not all gear can be yoinked.
If I had to offer something.

Sorry for the wait.

Thank you!

Lest we forget that Kremlings were a thing.

Please no

Yes please!

>A cool beauty with chic make-up and groovy hair. A strong leader figure, she has full trust of all the Kremling Krew. She boasts excellent reflexes, and is very accomplished in sports and dancing. The clubhouse she owns is regarded as something of an oasis for Kremlings.

For those who missed it, the first session of Galaxy Adventures ran on the Discord yesterday, and it was a success. An old Koopa archaeologist had a magical treasure map, and her new crew (a Koopa con artist, a Road geologist and demolitions expert, an Inkling scoundrel with his own space ship, and his Rocky Wrench first mate and mechanic) escape from a desert Bazaar and an Octoomba/Octoling attack on the ship. Plenty of banter was had, and the mechanics ran smoothly once people got the hang of it.

Cool. Can't wait to hear more!

Toad, not Road

My game starts in 2 weeks. I can't wait!

What's it gonna be about? What character are you playing as?

youtube.com/watch?v=n5_xMxUO7yU

Beautiful!

Played my first session as Knight-guy. Was a blast. Magic swordsman build made it pretty fun. My wife even made my Sprite for roll 20.

Nice. What happened during the session?

I'm the GM. I don't want to reveal too much about the campaign, in case my players read about it here.

But it's loosely based on Romance of the Three Kingdoms.

We were hunting an artifact to help the chief of a Yoshi village so we could defeat another Yoshi that took over. We got into a big scuffle with about 3 spikes and 3 clubba. Unfortunately that fight took abit longer than anticipated. Still managed to get the artifact we were after and are now ready to steal back our airship.

Now I wanna make a street tough shyguy/gal who wears a sunglasses with a leather jacket and hits things with a baseball bat.
Could call him Hooligan-Guy, maybe make him part of The Greaser Gang.

In case it was missed, Inklings from Splatoon were fully pieced together.

>Race: Inkling (+1 Heart, +1 Coolness, -1 Smarts)
>Inklings are humanoid cephalopods with a propensity towards excitement and adventure. They are brave and sociable, but rarely engage in more intellectual pursuits. Their ink-filled bodies can shift between a humanoid form and a tiny, extremely nimble squid form. Any gear the Inkling is wearing in humanoid form is absorbed into their body when changing into squid form and then returned when changing back.
>An incapacitated inkling dissolves into an immobile puddle of ink with all their gear collapsing into a heap on top of it. When they regain consciousness, they revert into squid form and their gear is reabsorbed into their body, unless it was stolen.

>You're a Kid, You're a Squid (Inkling racial): An Inkling can freely transform between their humanoid form and their squid form at any time (in combat, this is a free action). The squid form is practically defenseless and cannot wield objects, but they are immensely faster when travelling through non-hazardous fluids, including water and their own ink.

>Squid Super Jump (2 FP, Innate): An Inkling, in squid form, can jump an extreme distance via a high-pressure ink squirt, covering major height and distance. The Inkling must have a predesignated target and otherwise have a clear idea of where he's going to land. A Speed (2) test determines deviance when landing on-target. In battle, this can serve as a (Power x 2) tackle/jump against an enemy.

Inkling Weapons: pastebin.com/XMQ0GWLT
>All Inkling weapons and most weapon-related specials inflict Blind on a target for one turn. As a result, all Inkling weapons cost 2 PP at minimum.
>Only Inklings, Octolings, Bloopers, or Octoombas (or anything with an ink reserve) can use the weapons, but any external items like grenades can be used by whoever.

Thanks, I knew I was forgetting something.

Yeah, fights can drag on a little bit. Giving lots of environmental setpieces to use for advantage helps.

Best gal.
Also best character from mario's universe.

>gal

That's a rather definitive statement to make, isn't it?

I will post a session update after our first game.