Whats the best system for a modern setting?

Whats the best system for a modern setting?

As in full modern, guns, electronics, Vb3r h4x0rs, exc?

SpyCraft. It's a d20 game.

depends entirely on what kind of campaign are you going for. In general GURPS is recommended a lot thanks to it's modularity, but you can refluff cyberpunk 2020 to work. Play Twilight 2000 if you want an apocalyptic campaign, run Phoenix Command if you want an intensely realistic campaign (the system is a bit dated though). Gonna need more information for a good recommendation user.

>It's a d20 game
Veeky Forums newfag here, is that considered bad round these parts?

More or less, most people don't like it because of how swingy the combat gets and how even if you are the best warrior in the world with a +100 bonus to attack, you still have a 5% chance to fail against the weakest of opponents.

GURPS

It's not just that. Modern d20 is considered a terrible system for things like straitjacket classes, broken wealth mechanics and awful firearm damage rules.

SpyCraft is a different system though, so while crunchy it avoids at least half of the errors of Modern d20.

Haven't played a game with firearms yet. What're the mechanics like?

And as for wealth, my friends and I always run very lax games, so we never paid too much attention to wealth or wealth management (first time I DMed I tried to force them to find money, spend it on essentials and be thrifty but it didn't work out).

GURPS with High-Tech for gear and Action! 1 & 2 for character templates (think of them as "classes") and streamlined rules.

I just run 5e with guns.

Can confirm. I tried to run a d20 Modern game back when it came out and absolutely nothing worked right.

Guns and hitpoints don't mesh well in d&d.

Guns and hit points don't mesh well in general.

How good a system is depends more on the sort of story you want a tell than what sort of setting it's set in (though obviously the setting at large should play a part in the story and should be able to be reinforced mechanically).

GURPS handles tactical combat well (defaulting to cinematic realism) and has mechanics for social conflict, etc.

Its point values OTOH are centered around a TL3-5 (middle ages/renaissance) era milieu and need careful watching in a modern setting.

FFG Warhammer 40k games are pretty fun.

It's HP bloat that guns don't handle well.

It's not considered bad, it's considered abysmal, in the sense of absolute dogshit garbage.

There's no such thing as a perfect system, but D20 is one of the worst. Its clunky and complex mechanics that require tons of charts, constant reference to rulebook so and precise cartography make gameplay as smooth and fun as dragging an overweight dead hooker over train tracks.

Ops and Tactics, obviously

I've heard good things about EABA. Give it a look.

Unlike most of these fags, I'll explain why (and it's not that D&D sucks, that's a separate issue).

It's because the d20 is the swingiest probability of all the common core mechanics. It's not even that bad to be honest (5% chance top or bottom), but it's a needlessly large swath of terrain to cross to get to those events, which add very little to the game.

That said, SpyCraft and the StarGate SG-1 game (also from AEG) are both excellent entries in modern d20 gaming, unlike d20 Modern, which is just pants-on-head ridiculous.

I like Top Secret/S.I.

It's supposed to be more Cold War/Vietnam era, but it can very easily be translated into today. It's just about impossible to find hard copies of the books, but I can drop some pdf's if you'd like

>It's just about impossible to find hard copies of the books

Huh, I've got a box set from when I was a lad, is that worth anything?

As for OP's question, I'd either use Traveller (which scales pretty nicely from Achilles to Master Chief) if I wanted something RPG-ish, or Chain Reaction if I just wanted tactical shootan skirmish wargaming.

No clue. I play with some buddies of mine, and he has a full box set that his dad passed down to him, and he told me that they stopped printing them before it got popular cause some kid shot his friends over their campaign, and TSR wasn't having that bullshit, so there aren't many copies out there.

>the StarGate SG-1 game
Oh boy you best be telling me more about SpyCraft and Stargate d20

Modern D20 doesn't handle guns that badly. Every time you get hit for more than 15 damage (pretty good chance with a lot of guns), you have to make a fort save or go to 0 health. If you have a ton of meat points, you'll probably have more fort save but at that point you're like a movie action hero anyways.

They're d20 games. You pick a class appropriate to the setting and shoot mans. Or, you know, whatever else floats your boat.

Op what you want is dungeon world

Www.dungeonworldsrd.com

You absolutely do not want dungeon world, ever.

Kudos for taking the bait, faggot.

Explain why. Dungeon world is pretty much one of the best RPGs currently out there. It has fast story based mechanics, quick and easy character generation, multiple levels of success, and rules that aid the story instead of hinder it. Unless you're a powergamimg 3aboo, why WOULDNT you want that??

World of darkness

NO
Spycraft first edition has a horrendous power curve problem. By fourth level I was struggling to challenge my players with anything I could make on the points allotted, and certainly nothing organic to the world. The police were a complete non-issue, the Wheelman could win a race against a helicopter without thinking, and the bareknuckle boxer was effectively invulnerable fighting indoors.
Plus many of the systems lack polish and playtesting, clearly.
Spycraft 2 is too crunchy for reasonable play.

>powergamimg 3aboo
false flag detected