Previous Thread: NEWS

>Commander 2017 Spoilers
mythicspoiler.com/c17/index.html

>Latest Commander Ban Announcement
mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18588

>Latest MTGO Banlist Update
wizardsmtgo.tumblr.com/post/160343614814/update-mtgo-commander

RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>Veeky Forums EDH General Discord
discord.gg/UE9Vqzu

CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

THREAD QUESTION

What's you best top deck story?

Other urls found in this thread:

gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?action=advanced&artist= ["Richard Kane Ferguson"]
edhrec.com/commanders/odric-lunarch-marshal
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>thread question

Some dude was going to completely destroy our board the next turn and I had a big board with beaters ready to kill someone but only 4 lands (forests). I decide to genesis wave for 1
top deck a cauldron of souls and when he wipes the board the turn after, I trigger cauldron, get all my creatures and their triggers back and it was basically gg

woops i meant I also had dorks to tap with

>genesis wave for 1
>cauldron of souls

your friend lost because you both can't read

Ok, i have an idea.

A EDH tokens deck with mycoloth. you take doubling season and parallel lives in it, and you have some cards that make tokens to annoy everyone else

and with mycoloth, DS, And parrallel lives to help flood the board with creatures. and maybe you could get some more devour creatures thrown in the mix

its a fledgling idea but it could work.

I too would like to start with a single card out of my entire 99 card library in my hand every game.

oh, fair point.

Is ixidor competitive in well tuned playgroup? I just want to morph shit.

is it summer already?

Obviously not.

>What's you best top deck story?
>playing 5c basic land is only lands deck
>playing against ultra tuned meren, prossh and oloro decks
>somehow got to midgame (this deck has absolutely no play against those decks normally)
>oloro goes to Armageddon
>welp there goes my whole game
>may as well blind flop top because I have a mountain and a plains untapped
>flop into a boros charm
>win 2 turns later by rite of repping a gay merchant of ass fondle

Okay better yet: once you have all those tokens, use a super secret tech card known as Craterhoof Behemoth. I don't think it's ever been done before, but it might just work

Well you're in mono-u so it depends on how much you want to blue all over the place as the morphs aren't competitive in the slightest.

>Have a favorite magic artist
>95% of cards he did the artwork for is completely unplayable garbage

gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?action=advanced&artist= ["Richard Kane Ferguson"]

A lot of it IS crap, but there's some fun tech that bears his art.

>wanted to get my foil Tomorrow signed by Christopher Rush
>he's fucking dead

Mindslaver, against Selenia with Near-Death Experience and Wall of Blood in play

If you want morphs, Animar makes for a particularily interesting morph general since his ability lowers morph cost

>morph cost
And by morph cost I of course meant the 3 mana to play the morph, not the flipping one

Gitrog monster is on the ropes. The king is dead, I've taken enough commander damage from Skullbriar that another touch will end me, and the only thing keeping any of this in check is my Tainted Aether. I have one or two turns to live depending on how much Skullbriar values versus hates the Aether.

The topdeck: Constant Mists. With Rites of Flourishing and Azusa on the field that one card lets me stave off the barbarians at the gates almost indefinitely, and certainly long enough to pull Smokestack and start really causing a reduction in the ongoing threat. Everyone else scooped after, near the end of a long smokestack slide, Depala kicked Smokestack from 2 to 4 with proliferate and I managed to math it out so that I could keep it going for one turn that way and make everybody sac 5 more.

... and he's in color to run Ixidor, the Facedown-Tribal effects from Tarkir, and Skirk Alarmist for the heck of it.

If you design this one and don't call it "Animorphs" at least on tappedout, you need to correct that mistake.

What you're looking for as Ghave. White gives you Anointed Procession and Academy Rector, black gives you tutors, Winding Constrictor, and Corpsejack Menace.

What are some fun things in G/U to spend infinite mana on?

>Have a favorite Magic artist
>he's a white supremacist nutter who wants to fuck his mother

>that tfw when no cool whip forest

Thrasios.

Fits my theme well. Prime Speaker Sea Monsters.

Marjhan fits sea monster theme with it's great art and pings the whole board with infinite mana

My favorite fog.

My favorite fog's new name.

So I want to do a Nin deck. I want stuffy doll in there but what else should I throw in? I know there are some fun things I can do with izzet colors

Invoke the Firemind.

>playing jor
>about to win with a crapload of myr tokens, opponent is on 10hp with not enough blockers to stop me
>he ends his turn with no answer
>my turn, my own omen machine triggers, top deck was chain reaction wiping my entire board
>opponent drops a game ending combo next turn and wins
>post game i look through my library, the only spell in my deck that would have made me lose was chain reaction

Why post about your best topdeck when you can post your worst

should i build ayli or maze teysa?

Do you already have an Aetherflux Resevoir?

Ayli seems like its playstyle would be more unique. Pick up a serra ascendant and play ayli

nope

this one i do from a retired modern deck

Alyi's nice if you want to slot in a Black Sac shell with your life gain.

It's not a competitive deck. Everyone knows. But it does something or it just slugs around whie everybody is having fun? I want to build it, it's different from the usual Mono-Blue.

Well-Laid Plans
>all your creatures are immune to Nin, but you still draw cards
>you screw with your opponents as an added benefit
Kefnet, the Mindful
>indestructible, free pings and easy to turn on
Threaten effects
>steal a dude, blast their dude, draw cards

Eh, nothing competitive, but might be fun.

Like every other topdeck story:

I was about to lose, I top decked a tutor, I tutored for cyclonic rift, I won.

K run stuff like suntitan and oreskos explorer, ayli can keep them from getting exiled and you can tempo over people while stealing all their with serra ascendant and cards like blind obedience life.

their life*

Sidar Kondo with Kydele make amazing partners for a Morph Tribal.

>not tutoring Scrambleverse

The table had just been yosei locked, but this was turn 1 of the lock, and the way it was set up after this, yosei wouldn't have been in the graveyard on our turns. While everyone was scooping up I said "just wait til my turn, I might topdeck bojuka bog"
I slam down the bog and we all had a laugh. I didn't wind up winning that game, but neither did the yosei lock guy.

Other than that, there is a running joke that chaos warp is useless since at least once a night it gets someone back the exact same permanent that was warped away

>want to build wort channel fireball
>already have omnath of rage
>90% if the cards are the same
Do I buy a new deck or take apart omnath?

/EDH/

Say you're playing against another player who has a competitive deck (Rafiq or something) to use in Archenemy.

1.) What deck would you use?
2.) What two commanders would you want on your team? (assuming the decks were built well and competently played)

My answers
1.) I'd use my Experiment Kraj +1/+1 counter combo deck for infinite damage, turns and draws.
2.) I'd want Atraxa to proliferate my things and give Persist to my team.
3.) Krenko because I could borrow the Goblin creation ability with Kraj and clones, or I could untap Krenko a bunch and let the mono red player run his face over while keeping counters up.

>Rafiq
>competitive
hahawhat?

Razor Barrier or Avoid Fate are awesome save cards.

Rafiq used to be one of the best voltron decks possible for edh.

So one of the best possible options for the worst possible strategy.

I'd probably grab Gitrog Monster, though I might have to retool it to be less staxy. I'd want on my team Baral Counterspell Tribal (Or GAAIV Counterspell Tribal) and Gay Kangz Group Hug

The idea is to get in an unblockable ohko from double strike with too many ways to protect rafiq.

Yeah. It's a dumb idea.

just won my first game with my Aurelia deck. wanna hear my story?

yes

Ok, here goes:
> Up against Damia, Circu, and Scion of the Ur Dragon
> Go last and mull to 5 (over Cockatrice btw)
> spend first turns setting up board states with mana rocks and outpost siege (amazing card advantage)
> Circu player annoys everyone with mill, gets killed with an army of 5/5 dragons.
>I play Wrath of God to take care of said dragons.
> I play Aurelia, then play the second mode of Boom/Bust to blow up everyone's lands.
> Scion player Plays Cyclonic Rift in response to MLD and cleans the board.
> Scion player then drops the game, leaving Me and Damia.
> Spend a few more turns building back up, Damia player activating Top all the while.
> Eventually win with Auelia and friends smashing face into a depleted board.

MLD is neat.

I'd want to see the decklist first, before determining if your story is worth hearing. Aurelia decks can be amazing, or they can be the most bog standard thing imaginable. Few people realize the true strength of an aurelia deck isn't the combat zone.

>Few people realize the true strength of an aurelia deck isn't the combat zone.

Go on...

Aurelia untaps all of your creatures. She lets you double up on tap cost activated abilities. Red and White have some of the most efficient and powerful effects of this kind.

Early edh philosophy has that problem yeah.

>guy: "I really hate netdecks. People should have some creativity"
>he then pulls out Ishai/Reyhan
>oh cool i bet it's +1/+1 counter shenanigans
>it's literally every single tutor ever printed with flash hulk and boonweaver as the win cons. also features time twister, mana drain, and ABU duals

Nice made up story, it has a good plot

Quick question since I don't remember the specifics about the change to indestructible. If I Gift of Tusks my opponents attacking Gideon, can I kill it then or does that card still have indestructible?

nah just swap a few cards so you can just have him as an alt commander. both ramp i'd imagine and fireball is always a good finisher.

Play containment priest and play better counters. Dont get mad at proxy kids because they arent afraid to use good cards.

Omnath is tribal as fuck, The only fireball I run is an elemental even.

Yes, I believe so.

Indestructible is a static ability, just like flying is. Turning it into an elephant lets you kill it in the traditional ways.

I never really understood why some people hate on netdecks so much. I mean, I could see it if there was one deck that just dominated everything to the point that there was no use playing against it. But that's about it.

I will say that coming up with a deck on your own that performs well is a wonderful feeling.

What is this boonweaver combo that people complain about? Isn't Auratouched Mage just a better version of Boonweaver Giant?

I think he is upset not because the guy ran good cards, but because his opponent made a big stink about being original, then proceeded to play a normal flash hulk list with maybe half a dozen unique cards.

I don't know how you could miss the hypocrisy.

People say whatever they want to get aggro off their deck, his fault for falling for it.

>Auratouched Mage

From deck

>Boonweaver

hand deck or gy

I'm making my first EDH from scraps of packs/pre-releases. Using pic related with some angels and low cost creatures with similar attributes. I've been trying to find cards that make more tokens, any recommendations?

edhrec.com/commanders/odric-lunarch-marshal

Anointed Procession from Amonkhet

user, that behavior is not normal.

Also, you can have a powerful deck that isn't a cookie cutter version of a deck popular across multiple formats, so I think it has nothing to do with the power. If that guy did that to me I would definitely call him out on it Then I would beat him because all my decks have answers to flash hulk

Thanks!
Already picked up. Good suggestion though.

Boonweaver Giant searches the grave as well.
Boonweaver for Pattern of Rebirth. Sac Boonweaver, Pattern of Rebirth searches out Karmic Guide which returns Boonweaver which returns Pattern of Rebirth. Sac Boonweaver, Pattern of Rebirth searches out Saffi, sac Saffi targeting Karmic Guide, sac Karmic Guide, Karmic Guide comes back, brings back Boonweaver, brings back Pattern of Rebirth, sac Boonweaver, Pattern of Rebirth searches out Reveillark, sac Reveillark to bring back Saffi and Karmic Guide, Karmic Guide brings back Boonweaver...
You have a couple of options to kill everyone. Altar of Dementia works as a sac outlet and mills everyone out, Blood Artist+sac outlet kills everyone, and there are plenty of other similar effects. Or, if you don't think you can do any of that, just grab an Eidolon of Rhetoric and laugh at everyone else.

this guy gets it

Easily when I hit an All Is Dust late-game, animated all my artifacts with Karn and beat the shit out of everyone for the win

hey /edhgen/, I'm wondering if there's any spicy tech for a Mina + Den landfall deck (with angry Omnath as secret commander)? Current includes are a bunch of elf mana dorks to get out my elementals as fast as possible, parallel lives, Titania, blade of selves, etc. not Doubling season because I'm not willing to pay $120 kangaroo dollars for one.
I know it would work better with Omnath as the commander but one friend already has an Omnath deck and I don't like doubling up on commanders because I'm autistic.

>Playing Sakashima Clone Tribal against Jor Kadeen and Kalemne
>Jor Kadeen ramps super early and sets up an impressive board around turn 6
>I am stuck on 4 lands with no creatures; Kalemne player still ramping
>Jor Kadeen's turn 7 spent on attacking me and the Kalemne player, taking away half of our health
>I topdeck a land, play it as my fifth, then pass the turn
>Kalemne couldn't set up board but doesn't scoop
>Jor Kadeen swings all of his creatures onto the Kalemne player to take him out
>I topdeck Reins of Power and win out of nowhere

His Korlash artwork takes a big fat dump all over Daarken's though so it's fine

Also that's some deluxe taste in MTG artists you got there

The red and green Hideaway lands are great for Mina and Denn. Tutoring for these lands are pretty easy for RG, too.

I want to build with a beatdown deck using the Partners. Flankman and Mustache feel like the best for this

My secret tech is sorrows path and vigor. Sorrows path can be a dead land but ive won with the combat trick.

Ooh that's a good one, thanks

I don't get it

I think it's that he can warp around blockers, and take 2, but vigor goes up by 2 for each creature you control. And they're safe to swap blockers with whoever

Sorrows path works as a combat math shit storm simulator, it makes it so any time an opponent dares use two blockers I can spend life to force bad blocks and thus force past damage and minimize losses. The vigor removes the situational sac outlet quality and converts it to "I win combat" while also representing at least 9 damage in an omnath deck.

Can anyone recommend a mono-white commander for a player who usually hates playing mono-white? What are some good commanders that don't rely on making weenies? I already have a few token decks and don't really want another. I was kind of looking at something to possibly do with angels. I know it's a pretty broad question but any recommendations are appreciated.

Not exactly a top deck but still dumb luck. Was playing Yidris Mill/Wheel and it was down to me and a friend playing a stompy Mayael deck. I was down to Yidris as my only creature and pretty much fucked next turn unless I could get rid of his library. He was down to like 20-some cards left. I had Altar of the Brood out from last turn and an Army of the Damned in hand. Figured I could at least hit him with Yidris and hope to cascade into something good. Hit him, cast Army of the Damned. Flip through a few lands before hitting Ghastly Conscription. Get 15 Manifest tokens, he mills 15 thanks to Altar. Army resolves, he mills another 13 and RIP library.

// 100 Maindeck
// 19 Artifact
1 Boros Signet
1 Ichor Wellspring
1 Mycosynth Wellspring
1 Sword of Vengeance
1 Lightning Greaves
1 Rogue's Gloves
1 Argentum Armor
1 Sunforger
1 Sword of the Animist
1 Loxodon Warhammer
1 Staff of Nin
1 Sol Ring
1 Mind Stone
1 Everflowing Chalice
1 Star Compass
1 Mind's Eye
1 Coldsteel Heart
1 Wayfarer's Bauble
1 Fire Diamond

// 19 Creature
1 Aurelia, the Warleader
1 Boros Reckoner
1 Goblin Welder
1 Solemn Simulacrum
1 Firemane Avenger
1 Sram, Senior Edificer
1 Godo, Bandit Warlord
1 Brimaz, King of Oreskos
1 Mother of Runes
1 Sun Titan
1 Karmic Guide

Play boros or selesnya

> got into commander a couple years ago
>always sorta cycling through one crappy deck to another before finally putting together a jund token deck
>it's a match made in heaven and i'm in love with it.
>board wipes and spot removal can eat my ass.
>altar of dementia i pulled from a conspiracy pack ages ago puts in work.
>looking for upgrades and there's so much value possabilities it's making my head spin.

i need help Veeky Forums i'm addicted and i think i finally found my commander that really fits me. the problem is it's more the deck that fits me than the commander I currently have the shattergang brothers as my commander, i have sek'kuar as an alternative but he works off nontokens. I hear you guys complain that prossh is degenerate but i'm not sure who would be a good alternative for a token deck. I mean, he makes tokens. any ideas or spicy tech guys?

Akroma could work. Mono-white without weenies leaves you with angels as the next most powerful/plentiful theme (to the best of my knowledge at least).

But she would be pretty voltrony if you want her to be relevant outside of being mono-white.

I see nothing wrong with putting Prossh in there. You could also include Kresh, but "big beat stick commander" doesn't always work the best and that's pretty much all Kresh is useful for.