What's your magnum opus?

What's your magnum opus?

What's that one campaign, adventure, character, setting, race, or whatever else that you're proud of the most, that you've never outdone and probably never will?

Other urls found in this thread:

1d4chan.org/wiki/Primordial_Evolution_Game
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It's yet to come.

Primordial Evolution. It was a screaming choir of madness involving a rotating assembly of GMs that lasted over 4 years on Veeky Forums, and still the embers flicker.

Everyone was a borrower living on an island in a lake,with a city built in an overturned rowing boat and up the side of an old split open oak tree.

There was a rough electric fence powered by an ancient old car battery, and when it broke all manner of foxes and badgers and rats attacked.

The quest was top take a boat (a toy sail boat ) and head into the storm drain ,make their way into the city and find a new battery before the small cities defences gave out.

It's still my favourite campaign setting, But it was ruined by a fucking edgelord shitbag of a player who couldn't into team roleplay so i had to kill her.

I have no magnum opus, just opi.

A hugeass underhive for a Dark Heresy game, filled with several floors of deadly shit and gangs and and the occasional mutant city. I severely overdesigned it considering it was just the site for a single minor quest, but I'd like to return to it one day.

None, I'm a failure in every aspect of my life.

I've acquired a 0.2% share of a generic soda company, which is nice.

I am usually better at running mystery and horror games. I decided to run a CoC campaign where everyone ended up trapped in a summer house on an island just off the coast during a storm. I was going to do the classic thing where one of them discusses with me ahead of time that they have ulterior motives aside from just surviving except without telling any of them I did it with all four of them. One was being blackmailed, one was trying to steal something from another player that his life depended on, one was an undercover cop trying to get evidence on a criminal (whom he assumed would be an NPC at first) and the last was a man turning into a deep one hybrid that was attempting to hide it from the others. I was worried it wouldn't work as planned , that people would meta game too much (which they did a little but ti ended up not mattering) and that it wouldn't add anything. To my surprise it worked amazingly well.

The characters started off working together but slowly grew distrustful of each other as people did odd things, went off into rooms alone, passed me notes to hide their actions, etc. It reached it's peak when an NPC ended up getting kidnapped in the middle of the night by a deep one that ended up getting away. A massive arguement ensued over a disk that was found shortly after , turned into a wrestling match over the disk and ended with a player pulling out his hidden gun (the only one on the island) and shooting an NPC. It was a great and wild ride from there as they convinced each other to trust each other long enough to get off the island.

I've tried similar campaigns since then twice and neither time was the same.

Just an encounter im brewing at the moment.

>But it was ruined by a fucking edgelord shitbag of a player who couldn't into team roleplay so i had to kill her.
Holy shit dude, murder is never the answer

Murder is the question.
The answer is yes.

Is this something I should know about or is it a personal game?

Eventually, anons. And when you do, let us know.

Currently working on it. It's the first homebrew system that I haven't dropped after two days. It's coming along fine, and I'm actually happy with how it has come out thus far

>campaign
I want to run a Silent Hillesque game about people trapped in a town and getting tortured by their inner demons coming outwards until they either give in to them and perish or fight back, find some meaning to their actions and press on with their lives. My plan is for it to be a static map that I revisit with different characters and players when we want a really character-centric game.

>adventure
A journey to the edge of the earth to stop a race of Frost Giant-like monsters from coming down to the world and killing whatever they can every once a year before they leave unceremoniously. It's pretty simple, straightforward and seems like fun.

>character
For years I've been trying to play this one Cleric whose motivation is "Act in the name of [insert deity here], not out of feverish belief, but to see if I'm actually worth a damn." He's more complicated than that, but it'll take me hours to go into specifics.

>setting
Post-apoc real world setting, but the apocalypse came through magical fuckery. The guy responsible is pretty much the world's new God and once in a while messes with earth. Some times he treats it like plasteline, distorting creatures and making new one, like an ant colony, throwing an ant lion inside it and see how many will die before it is killed and other times like a TV, just following the everyday lives of mortals. I'm still ironing it out.

>race
The Dakar rally.

Remnant Wings, a homebrewed setting that I ran a 5 year long campaign in it with pathfinder from levels 7 to 14, involving giant flying cities, political machinations, sky pirates, murder and intrigue, giant flying beasts, and lots and lots of fey.

Campaign ended with a bang, had character epilogues and all for them all, and players still sometimes pester me to return to the setting to play again.

A goofy Star Trek one shot using the Dread system (which is suprisingly great for comedy games) involving the entire Bridgre Crew dying, leaving a bunch of Redshirts (The players) to take over. Each had a secret (Klingon Spy, Wanted to kill the captain, Neelix in disguise, etc) and had to get back to federation space while finding enough Dilithium on the way to stabilize the engine and prevent it exploding (The engine was actually fine, but only one player knew that).

It was great to see them degrade from acting as upstanding members of Starfleet to a bunch of brutal, backstabing assholes, all the while solving problems in ways I'd never excepted. The moment that stands out is when negotiating terms with Ferengi traders for dilithium despite having no money, they rigged the holodeck to give out ear-jobs, stole the dilithium, then used the transporter to beam the Ferengi outside the ship.

The whole game was hilarious start to finish, and i'm hoping the Paranoia one shot i've got lined up for the group will be just as great.

Grimwyrd
Originally, a throwaway game to amuse myself with while out of work, hosted on Roll20, cuz why not.
Super cliche "go fight the big bad" with dwarves an elves and Humans against the Beastmen

More than a year later, the story has hooked 6 people every week we just keep coming back. Uncovering ancient betrayals, lost magic, moral dilemma. It's been a wild ride

I'm finally working on a unified campaign setting outline.

It may not be much, or really original, but its mine. And it's based on all the games I've ran since I was 13 in 2004, so its been a nostalgia trip for some of the peeps that have been around that long.

1d4chan.org/wiki/Primordial_Evolution_Game

Its a mess. it was always a mess. always will be a mess, but it sorta covers it.

Woow. So sad I wasnt in this times. It seems pretty cool

I've told the story of the campaign, it's the one with the demon summoning (Can reprise if necessary).

Unfortunately, it wrecked me. I really have trouble finding motivation to referee anymore, since I can't top it and my previous efforts to doing so have come up short.

Looks neat. I can see why you'd end up liking what you did with it.

The one I'm doing right now. Running a Planescape campaign IRL

Tell the story user

Nothing yet, though that might be my own personal bias. Either way all the autism that floats around in my mind constantly shifts as the years go by, as I add, change and remove bits and pieces of it to improve it.

There's no other way to handle shitbag edgelords but kill them off and treat them like the subhuman shitbuckets they are until they get the hint.

I guess my most meaningful project thus far has been helping with Ops & Tactics on the side (not a straight-up contributor, just an occasional whisper in SSB's ear). My current work has been trying to make settings of my own for that system, but nobody in my circle of friends or general vicinity plays anything other than 3.PF, nWoD, or CCGs, so actually putting them to use isn't going to happen anytime soon. I could publish them as adventure paths or something, but that's as may be.

I don't think about myself in that way. I will probably never produce a Magnum Opus, except posthumously. In general I think most of my PC's are pretty good, Some of them great. I have had some rad experiences with CoC, both running and playing.

Ah that sucks user, I've been running an O&T game myself and it's been going great. I've also tried to contribute a little to the game. (usually helping out by breaking the game as hard as I can and showing him the results when he comes on Veeky Forums though I've sent SSB an email a long while back about adding Anti-material AR uppers) I'd love to see what adventures you could come up with though user.

Most of the stuff I've been contributing has been quality of life/clarity things. For example, I suggested having a weapon's standard accessories/ammo/qualities listed in a cell underneath the weapon's table entry instead of a separate page. I'd like to see the system itself get well-established before doing the fun setting/campaign planning.

Are you familiar with the Ops and Tactics IRC? I'd suggest using that.

>Ongoing set of campaign arcs in a high fantasy setting with an aesthetic and overall social structure reminiscent of a classical Greece setting.
>For time out of mind, you had a dominant empire, Neretar, over the main continent where things are happening. Neretar doesn't control everything, but they're the biggest baddest bully around, and they heavily influence the smaller polities around.
>Due to earlier campaign shenanigans, the northern archipeligo at the edge of the empire and continent starts to actually coalesce into a unified government, and due to some magical shit, they're breeding monsters into a fuckhueg army.
>Campaign in question focused on the players as special forces to one of the smaller but still important allied nations to Neretar as they're trying to hold off this northern league.
>Thematically though, the campaign was about operating under pressure. Things were going BADLY, and despite everything the PCs were doing to patch things up, every week that passed by meant more towns burned, more important people that they liked died, and the more their bosses are both telling them to fix things but simultaneously pissing themselves.
>But try to patch things up they do. There are a series of quests, which went from a range of risk and time commitment (the really short commodity here), from "help get these books from a library" to "break into a besieged dwarven city to go fight a super-ettin that might be able to knock over the entire city and is only vulnerable to this one weapon you have that is specifically designed to kill it but the rest of the party is right well fucked if you even think about trying".
>Spend a fair amount of time gathering information.
>Actually gather information about how the enemy are preparing certain arcane ritual materials that would be useful for summoning a ultra-powerful demon that can eat armies without breaking a sweat.
1/3

>Fail to realize the importance of tracing where these materials are going, as they get the information in pieces and don't put them together.
>But at long last, they get to the "longshot" plan part. The general balance of the war was that while the Northern League was stronger due to its near unending supply of monster troops to bolster their ranks with, they were behind the PCs faction in conventional ritual magic. That would normally be bad in any large scale conflict; as the allies could just do nasty things like teleport more or less at will and be anywhere at any time
>Wanting to win, the NL uses their own magic to build what are essentially giant dampers, that stop teleportation (and some other things) along a wide radius. They would build one, advance to its limit, build another one, and so on.
>Well, they're building another one that would put the capital of the PC's country in radius, which would probably be the end of things
>High Command vetoes a plan to smash it before it becomes operational. That would buy 4-5 months, but they're winning the long war anyway.
>Instead, they're going to do something riskier; they're going to insert the PCs and some other forces into the general area, get them to lay low, and try to destroy the damper while the main NL force is in the field so they can cut it to ribbons.
>However, the NL guys aren't stupid, and the place is HEAVILY guarded. SO the plan involves luring some of the forces out with one of their successful armies, sending the PCs to assassinate a lich that's controlling a big undead swarm (Lich in question was a former PC in another campaign, but that's another long story), to allow a third hidden force to storm the damper itself.
>Of course, this all needs to be timed perfectly.
2/3

>And because of the general pressure and rapid movement going on, the PCs missed an important clue, namely that the baddies were getting ready to summon their uber-demon on the apparently undefended route between their Alverstaff army and the damper.
>It would have delayed the PCs in their own strike against the lich by about 5 hours to divert to the bridge and smash or steal some of the necessary implements, but they don't, they head straight to Relaford to fight the lich.
>Big throw down, they win, undead lose their animating force, big win for the good guys, right?
>Haha, no. The second prong got eaten, and there's about 5,000 soldiers at the damper, even with the PCs heading over to help out, this is hopeless
>NL offensive goes off without hitch, players country gets crushed. Allliance is effectively broken.

>Campaign course seriously altered; my previous plan was a kind of DS9-esque try to figure out a more sustainable way to beat them in the long term as the NL retreats to their islands and breeds more monsters.
>As it is, they're reduced to scattered guerillas and trying to just survive another day.

I count it my best for a number of reasons. Firstly, my players enjoyed it, or at least they did once they stopped cursing and crying when I snatched victory right out of when they thought they were about to win it all. It's been close to 6 years now, and I still occasionally get calls and messages from them talking about how great it was and asking when I'm going to put them through the wringer like that again. Secondly, I went for a certain tone, namely that things are bad, people aren't thinking clearly, but you need to do SOMETHING, right? It started off with just the NPCs, but it infected the players, in large part because they got invested in the world. And lastly, I have never before or since even come close to getting that kind of gut punch to the players.

While I'm kind of proud of the Rogue Trader campaign I ran a while ago in general, nothing stands out as much as the almost completely improvised encounter with their alternate-timeline selves and the weird and wonderful consequences of that.

Some background: I had this cool campaign planned, and within the first 10 sessions, all but one of the original players had left for various reasons, mostly people moving out of town. So I was going to re-do everything when this one dude called me one night and went "What if the retcons aren't retcons, but are actually still in-universe?"

So, due to some interesting choice of navigation, they managed to encounter the alternate version of not only themselves (i.e. the old PCs) but of their ship and crew, and things got weird. The new captain was mistaken by the old captain as a slightly strange, but quite nice lady picked up by his first mate. Although why they were in the Captain's Quarters, nobody knows. In the end, they shot the old captain and both versions of their ship and crew now exist in their universe.

It really doesn't translate to text. But I did get literal standing ovations afterward. And a cake at the end of the campaign.

I've not, I wasn't aware something like that existed.

So, your 'magnum opus' is being a massive That DM and fucking over your players on a technicality and you enjoy actually making them cry? Jesus, you're a shitbucket.

These because this user hasn't played a tabletop RPG yet. (A few practices of pathfinder not withstanding)

bump

The Grand Adventures of Stinky Stan

A years-long game of D&D where I encouraged my players to be the most bloodthirsty, heartless murderhobos they could possibly be. They went from escaped convicts to conquering warlords and unified huge swaths of the world under their merciless regime, but before long their underlings turned against them. They eventually destroyed themselves in a vain attempt to bring about armageddon out of petty spite for a world that had grown to hate them more than fear them.

It was cohesive, focused and almost completely satisfying. While I have some regrets, it's still the campaign I'm of which I'm most proud, and probably always will be.

>Four year long D&D 3.5 campaign with 16 players that ended with an average party level of 35.

I wish my parents hadn't thrown my campaign notes and maps out. I spent so many hours on that game my GPA dropped half a point.

I might try and recreate the world for 5e/PF.X and some other systems one of these days.

This. Bet he never actually dropped any hints and it was just a straight asspull.

It was during a quest of a Halo fanmade. My players weren't really well versed in the deep Halo lore, hell, even me, so I could do wathever I wanted they would listen without anyone bitching about this being non-lore friendly or anything.

They just recently managed to flee the army and their Space ship crashed on a planet were the UNSC force were having a battle against the Covenants.
Flash forward and they explore an ancient ruin in this planet that were getting the attention of the Covenants.

The ruins are like a good old dungeon from D&D, really big departure from the beginning of the quest. I even put a giant rolling rock.
The thing is, I made a little BG for this place, pretty simple : An ancient race was on this planet but was wiped out by the covenant before they can invent space travel.
But the way I showed it to my players really made them hyped as hell. By describing paintings without scriptures, talking about how the robots in this place act before turning sentry mode on my players and stuff like that. I was amazed to see them talk and theorizing about this place without it getting boring.

I made them shit their pants by putting some little flood thread at the end but gave them a fucking huge reward.
They all thanked me for this session at the end. I think this is when I felt in love with RolePlaying.

Still trying to learn what I did right during this game. Now i'm trying to move to Shadowrun, hope my first game will be ok, I really love the setting

in the middle of running it right now really. it's the only campaign setting that i've written and had my group stick with it longer than one session. they seem pretty hooked on it and i'm working on my most detailed and extensive dungeon yet. 4 different detailed floors with one miniboss and a final boss, enemies and bits of world-building and storytelling woven into the environment. pretty hype for the upcoming session really

A campaign about going into the Feywild to rescue a baby that was stolen by some asshole changeling

I dunno, it was fun. Came up with some clever encounters for it, had fun running it too.

My sides