What's the best format of magic and why is it EDH?

Because it's essentially Legacy but they didn't fuck up the playerbase, so you can play whatever you want and have your decks stay relevant yet personal, and you don't have to go full Pay-to-win to really play.

EDH is the most autistic format. Fuck anyone that plays this cancerous shit filled infinite combo circle jerk bullshit format. I hope you all stay far away from Modern.

common-currency 60-card cube progressive

Hey, Guess what? We still have money AND all our cards are still relevant six months from now.

Competitive EDH is fun as fuck. Just stay away from casuals, because in most people's mind, casual is anything even slightly more competitive than their deck.

>EDH
>Best anything
Cube is the best format

Does it suck being so wrong?

Needs someone shitting themselves and screaming in the EDH corner about counterspells and land destruction.

Nah, he's got a point. Cube is basically Kitchen Table: The format, and requires three other friends who are willing to to throw cards in with you. It's basically an imperatively Friends Only Format, which means you're bound to have a good time with your buddies.

Edh is really a format where it matters who you play with, like cube. I'm sorry your LGS has Shit customers.

The point is invalid, the same can be done with any format.

No, that IS the whole point. What is the best format? The one you play with your friends.

All I hear is EDH

EDH is dog shit even when I'm playing with my friends.

My friends are all too similar to myself: cynical assclowns who love watching the rest of the table not play magic, so edh sucks for me 2bh

It depends on which format has the most satisfied playerbase regularly. And there are 5 formats that fit that description.
>cube
>edh
>pauper
>kitchen table magic
>conspiracy draft

But those are formats that the player's have a lot of control over.
>EDH players need to stop whining because they get the best products each year that are decently made and have cool reprints and new cards

Because all my bolts, paths, snaps, goyfs, fetches, and shocks that i've had for years are totally useless. Fucking EDH faggots are trash.

In theory I'm down with EDH, but in practice it's either a race to your combo where usually the second guy to go off wins or everyone durdles not doing anything out of some sort of weird gentleman's agreement not to move the gamestate forward.

None really, every single thing WotC does has a list of negatives almost as large as it's possitives. And I suspect they do it on purpose so that the consumer base at large will never aggre and settle on a single format.

Legacy for competitive, followed by limited. Judge's Tower for your casual needs.
The rest is hardly worth mentioning.

Dude, you should just stop while you still like like a regular shitshelf. It honestly just sounds like you're mad because you keep your gaping mouth open for whatever WotC shots out every month, and that costs money. While everyone who isn't a try hard douchebag whiny baby is having fun playing commander over here, you're trying to rain shit down on us when we all have umbrellas, my man. Calm yourself, and consider playing a better format. Come to commander.

EDH is literally for autistic shitbabbies that are too dumb to play a real format.

I can play my favorite card memory jar there so its one of the best formats.

Hi, Wayne.

Everyone's opinions will always be different. I find EDH to be a semi-casual game that's long enough to have a social event while playing. I personally do not enjoy Competitive EDH, but I can't stop people form playing what they want to play.

I also enjoy the idea of getting a janky legendary and making a deck that works around them.

Kitchen Table is best because I can do weird shit like Enigma Drake decks or Wild Pair Wurms.

Fuck EDH for ruining standard, half the decent cards are just EDH bait.

Except the EDH players don't even bite because WotC doesn't know how to design for it.

>10 years ago
>god wizards stop printing such massive cost unplayable garbage
>today
>fucking EDHfags getting catered to with high cost unplayable garbage

We are now getting high cost unplayable garbage that isn't even good in EDH.

>Vintage
Best pure mental exercise, unfortunately it's rather dead thanks to the reserved list... at least overall, my area actually has an ok community: though the tournaments are typically unsanctioned "entry fee based on proxy count", they draw enough interest to occasionally offer format staples (not Power, but basically anything else) for prize.
>Legacy
Probably the best competitive format for a balanced experience. Not that competitive legacy decks can't be degenerate as fuck, of course, but there are typically a lot of them. It's got a high barrier to entry, but isn't quite dead like Vintage. Probably the most heavily played competitive in my area, and best Sanctioned Constructed IMO.
>Modern
Legacy for newbies, with the DCI ever fumbling to devise a coherent ban list that allows a diverse format and never quite making it. A Modern-legal reprint of FoW would fix it since Force is the natural predator of degenerate combos, but WotC is pretty gunshy about introducing a legacy staple into Modern like that
>Extended
... Is this crap even supported anymore? I don't think it is. I've heard good things about old extended but it always seemed the red-headed stepchild of formats
>Standard
Shit that gets shoveled forward to promote the chase. I can only hate it so much because it seems to be what WotC thinks keeps them in business, but the speed at which large portions of the format cycles in/out is a retarded treadmill. Cards get added to the eternal formats just as often, but far fewer are relevant, and they never drop out (aside from bans, of course) so a slightly outdated Legacy or Modern deck can usually still be played and will only require a little tuning to bring it up to spec in all but rare circumstances.

Those cards are for limited, you retard. I'm not happy about it either, but Wizards has never designed a card specifically for EDH outside of an EDH product.

>Sealed
The worse of the two Limited formats, seeing as it's the more heavily luck based. That said, Limited in general is pretty based, I'd play sealed over Standard any time
>Draft
Patrician Limited Format. In sealed you're at the mercy of your packs. In draft? You can still open a bomb that will carry you part of the way, but in the end you get the opportunity to make your own luck. Best sanctioned format IMO.
>Cube
Hugbox draft that can only be played at home game nights. Always seems like fun (especially after Conspiracy) but it loses some of Magic's Portability and cross-group intelligible nature so I've never gone out and actually built a cube
>EDH
Patrician Taste. Even if you're highly competitive there are a solid 40-60 commanders that can at least hold their own against the best, which is psychotic potential format diversity. Even outside the "What if it were a sanctioned format?" realm of cEDH, there's a very broad band of what's playable thanks to the format's nature, and probably the deepest card pool of any format because of it. EDH is big, complex, and random without being a luckfest. Now it's a FFA multiplayer format and doesn't work quite as well in a duel, but even there the original curb stomps its malformed clones like Tiny Leaders and Duel Commander. The format could probably still be improved by things like bringing back "Banned as Commander" (without going full retard as Sheldon threatened when pressed on the matter), but as-is it's the best format.

>you're mad because you keep your gaping mouth open for whatever WotC shots out every month

Not him, but if you're going to insult Modern players, at least do it correctly. At least we barely give any actual money to WotC, as opposed by EDH players who jump on any and every janky-ass, unplayable, overcosted Standard card printed.

>A Modern-legal reprint of FoW would fix it since Force is the natural predator of degenerate combos

Stopped reading right there, as it's pretty clear you're retarded.

Pauper is objectively the best constructed format by its own merits. If the Magic community got its shit together, the support would follow.

The best format is casual with people you like and who make fun decks.

EDH used to be something like that.

Until somebody starts to buy anything, absolutely anything.

>Duel Deck with good stuff for one player is released
>He buys it
>Everyone else is fucked

>New set is released
>One player has a bunch of lucky pulls or just plain buys more
>Everyone else is fucked

And on and on.

This. Pauper is a genuinely fantastic format, even disregarding the appeal of the price tag.

It must be difficult for you to live day to day being this retarded. Every FNM at the shop it's the same shit. Standard babies show up for their 2 deck meta, Modern people show up for some fun, the two guys in the back play Legacy, and then we come to the EDH "players". The fattest, smelliest, loudest autistic piles of trash in the store lay claim to a whole table for their "fun" and "interactive" format. These rancid piles of degenerate human trash come prepared each Friday night with their shit decks, cases of Monster, bags of snacks, and their unwashed stink. As the night progresses, everyone enjoys the hum of people playing MTG. Suddenly, there comes a loud, piercing screech from the EDH area. "I WANT TO DO MY INFINITE COMBO" "IN RESPONSE I WANT TO DO MY INFINITE COMBO" "NO WAIT, LET ME DO MY INFINITE COMBO"!!!! These 300 pound harpies continue to yell and cackle about their combo until, after 20 minutes of a single turn, 1 of them finally resolves some bullshit combo and they proceed to the next game. Before they can go to the next game, every fat fuck at the table has to get up and pee, "walk" around, and harass people trying to play real formats. When these land whales approach, the foul stench of macaroni and cheese, ketchup, unwashed blubber, and mom's basement begin to choke everyone and burn the eyes. The prime targets of these odor behemoths tends to be the 2 females that come and play. 1 of them likes to play werewolves in standard, and the other plays merfolk in modern. Every FNM the EDH fags constantly stand around them and try to cajole these girls into "trying out a patrician format that is actually fun". Usually the fattest EDH fuck with the stupid MAGA hat tries some line like "come help us make magic great again", and then he wheezes (i think its trying to laugh) to himself and waddles away to shuffle for game 2.

Shit like this is why EDH babies don't deserve the time of day.

Modern, because it doesn't have the problems of Standard, Legacy, or Vintage, and you don't have to deal with the dumb politics of EDH.

it sounds like the edh group at your lgs is just shitty and is by no means representative of the average edh player. At my lgs they are the friendliest group and often play other formats like modern and legacy. Also they all shower regularly. Sometimes we get shitlords but they are often asked not to return or get the hint when nobody will play a game with them. Buddyfight players are the worse part of my lgs

What it SOUNDS like is that he's stringing together any negative stereotype about Magic players he's ever heard and applying it solely to EDH players in order to try to prove that he's somehow better than people who he's never and will never meet solely because he has the "correct" sort of fun.

High cost unplayable garbage has never been good in EDH. We play Emrakul and Elesh Norn, not Lord of the Pit and Wanderwine Prophets.

Shit rares exist so that the idiot who opened a Gideon will always win the draft, not for EDH.

What's the point if the format is horrible? Horrible game going f2p is still horrible, and this is not even close to being a cheap format.

Stereotypes exist for a reason

The combined weight of all EDH players at my LGS doesn't account for a single Standard player.
Glad we got all the casual twinks so you can enjoy the plus size Murrican version.

20lp 1v1 Commander is the best.

Is this a meme or something?

Well I mean, yes, Canadian Highlander is a meme. But from what I can tell it's not a horrible format?

Oh, you mean fun cards.

Yeah, you're right. I do like to have fun while playing a card game. You know, longer games that are close and epic. Not

>muh turn 3 win.

Best format of Magic is Cube Draft.

- perfect blend of limited and constructed
- lets you play with whatever the fuck you want, including ante cards, Un-cards
- use all the chinese proxies you want, no one will care
- any perceived balance problem you can fix yourself however you want
- drafting from a cube doesn't cost anything, only building the cube is a cost, and the cost is very controllable
- building a cube is extremely satisfying, similar to designing a fantasy set except other people will actually play that set's limited with you

I literally wouldn't be playing Magic anymore without cube draft.

>implying commander games are close and epic
Choosing between spending over an hour watching a clusterfuck board state get set up only to have someone combo off vs a nice clean game between fine-tuned decks is no choice at all.

Oh, and let's not forget that even games that are "close" are often artificially so because it isn't "fun" to kill your opponents quickly, and EDH players will whine if you do.

Commander is the best place to house all of your weird old cards that don't have a home anywhere else.
Because you guys have all been playing off and on for 10 years, right?

Anyway, does anyone have the picture comparing different formats? Where standard is little kids fighting and vintage is a pistol duel?

ITT: People who've found joy in [thing] and people who disliked [thing] argue over subjective experiences and examples using broad, sweeping statements to try and anger one another about stuff they like instead of attempting to emphathize with the opposing party to gain a new perspective and find new joys In old activities or new ones.

But then again, this happens every thread.

Considering the OP of this thread, what do you expect?

Seriously though, I'd rather play several rounds of Modern than one round of Commander. The only Commander that's fun is sealed Commander.

I tried playing commander once. It was a four person game and maybe that's the wrong way to do it, but the game lasted 2 loooong hours and there was a lot of bargaining (don't attack me and I'll buy you lunch!) and whining (Don't attack me even though I attacked you! I was gonna buy you lunch!)

I never played again

>waaaahhh im too retarded to see when someone ia clearly going to combo off and leave mana open

Its okay user you and everyone else who cant deal with playing fun cards can have modern

Reminder that Team Unified formats are patrician tier.

But user, it isn't "fun" to counter someone's combo. Everyone has to be allowed to do what they want to do.

What are you talking about
Fun is what you make the meta

You can't fool me, I've given Commander a fair shot. Nothing but whining and so much salt you could taste it. You can keep it.

>play w/u merfolk with Sygg
>people cry about bounce and counterspells
>play jank u/r combo
>doesn't pop off OR it wins in one turn
>play g/r ruric thar
>people don't like you
>play Mikaeus the Unhallowed
>shitstomp everyone
The secret is to keep rotating things so people cry about something different each time.
I had enough shit lying around to make $500 worth of commander decks so why not

I'd rather just play Modern, where playing decks that do broken things is expected and both players have fun firing their glass cannons at each other. The only people who get salty are the control players, but the meta helps keep them to a minimum.

I have u/r storm as a modern deck
I want to build another pauper deck and fix up my legacy deck.
>legacy is super expensive
>unless you build a joke deck
>around fluctuator
>and your landbase is dogshit cycle lands

I play Affinity, but I've been messing around with playtesting Storm. It's definitely fun, I just have concerns about building a deck that uses the graveyard with Dredge still running around.

Storm gets fucked hard by white (Rest in Peace/Eidolon of Rhet)
I've heard of people splashing white for path or other hate, but I'm a cheapass so I just bounce whatever fucks me and then try to blast off in the same turn.
Just gifts ungiven for gas and stuff your hand with rituals. Fish for wincons and keep those in hand
>manamorphose
>ritual, ritual, ritual
>bonfire of the damned
>grapeshot
>past in flames

I gave it a fair shot too.

People talk about sitting down and talking with all the players and setting some boundaries about how you want the local metagame to be welcoming and enjoyable.

It doesn't work. Nobody wants to sit down and do some wholehearted debate and thinking. Instead, everyone just wants to take an ion cannon out of their bag and shoot a load across the table.

"Ooooh the Commander website hasn't banned Shaharazhad or Scrambleverse, it must be okay; you must hate fun!"

"I don't want people to play with proxies even though it's not a sanctioned format because I want to play with my $2000 5-color mana base and I want you to respect my horribly retarded purchase"

"Don't blame me if the game took 3 hours because my game has no win condition and its whole purpose is to be friends with everyone, that's just what EDH is!"

"I'm too fucking stupid/lazy to use a piece of paper to keep track of everyone's life/commander damage totals! And I don't have tokens so I'm just going to use these face-down cards that nobody can fucking recognize from across the table!"

The format invites cancer, the cancer will ultimately arrive and nobody has the sense to prevent it from taking hold, therefore it always becomes cancer and once you have cancer the effort it takes to get rid of it becomes more and more difficult the longer you delay treating it.

Far as I'm concerned nothing beats EDH. Games usually require better knowledge of the rules and game breaking combos. Plus even with all that, you can still do some weird gimmick deck and do alright.

>all that shit
Sounds like a personal problem

Limited a best

>"Ooooh the Commander website hasn't banned Shaharazhad or Scrambleverse, it must be okay; you must hate fun!"

This ffs.

One of the players in our group loves arbitrary 'lolsorandom' garbage that makes the entire game up to that point completely pointless.

What do you mean you 'Don't want the game to last 12 hours"?

>muh adulting too hard and it don't work
That is literally your whole argument. If the other players are assholes, don't play with them. If you're playing with assholes then you're the person who keeps touching a hot stove.

The problem seems to be that commander attracts assholes.

My group is great. We regularly play games with 6+ people and don't run into a single issue those anons have. If someone is being an asshole, we either stop playing with them or immediately remove them from the game.

Though I can even now hear the autistic screechings of "BAD WRONG FUN!!!!!" from the other autists on this board.

Pauper or Legacy.

Pauper is shit because it claims to solve the dollar-cost problem of Magic, and then makes you buy sets of $10 commons and prevents you from using your $0.50 mythics.

Legacy is the best constructed format, except it's priced out of the reach of anybody who isn't a Saudi oil prince or didn't start playing back when dual lands cost 5 dollars.

Modern players will whine your ears off if you dare playing something they dont have a silver bullet for in their sideboard.

Any format, even casual stuff like EDH is, sadly, expensive if you want the good stuff.

Its how the secondary market works and WOTC will gladly suck the secondary market's cock.

Only control players, as already stated.