sgiz.mobi/s3/dbadf27c707b

>5etools:
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Resources Pastebin:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previously, on /5eg/:
Who was the most memorable player you've played with or DMed for?

>And now for something completely different.

Bullshit, user. all we're going to talk about this thread is how shit warlock is.

>Who was the most memorable player you've played with or DMed for?
Had a player that rolled a guy who was all about fighting honorably but he was unable to stick to his character traits and he (on more than one occasion) elected to cut someone's throat while they slept.

Are warlock invocations at will? All Most?

Phil

Fuck that guy

I'm perfectly ok with this

Warlock's the worst thing to happen to this edition, it just shits up everything.

Ep 52 of DCA was fucking amazing.

Not all of them.
They're terribly designed.
So many of the absolute best options are available right away at level 2 when you get invocations.
While there are obvious trap options like "use a warlock spell slot to cast this mediocre spell."
There's also options that feel like mandatory must-picks because not taking them will make you incredibly subpar compared to everyone else.

>warlock exclusive item
>"dagger of suffering +1"
>cannot cut anyone except for the owner who is attuned
>allows the player to cut himself
>deals 1d6 slashing or piercing damage (up to you) per warlock level
>damage cannot be resisted or reduced
>user is unable to regain hit points of any kind (including temp) for 1d4 rounds
>upon doing so he regains one spell slot
CUT MY LIFE INTO PIECES

The thing is, there's only like two ways to play warlock. Anything outside of those is pretty much awful.

You either go for it and dive deep into it for roleplaying and flavor.
Or you try to play like most other players, and try to build a mechanically viable character and just spam eldritch blast.

The thing is, they're pretty fun in an RP heavy campaign. Less fun in a combat heavy one. ESPECIALLY if you can't reliably take short rests.

Base warlock fluff gives you significantly more narrative agency due to having the attention of a bbeg level entity at char creation.
It's invocations provide a variety of unique abilities that can't be mimicked by other classes.
It's small number of spell slots incentivize you to think outside the box and use them sparingly instead of relying on magic.
It has respectable capability in both ranged and melee combat so you're literally a red mage combatwise.

Recently warlock has taken a hit with new UA concerning viable options but before it the whole world was avaliable to them and kept them at some competitive level no matter their choice.

Warlock rocks.

Goes to show how badly they fucked them up after what was the best received UA that people are complaining this much. Can't blame them, Bladelocks were looking alright before Monday.

Does it take an action to cut yourself?

Yes. It's suffering, after all.

All of them should be at will, higher levelled ones should force you to expend a spell slot.
Once all of these resources have been expended should you choose to take a short or long rest.

>Bane costing a spell slot, speak with animals at will, detect magic at will, or +5 on Eldritch Blast
Was bane really that strong to deserve being invocation-locked together with poly and conjElemental?
>Jump and Levitate at will
I wonder what I'll pick!

Buddy, it would be better suiting the concept to make it based around suffocation, not bleeding.

Hey Anons of /5eg, what's the clearest character sheet design in your (collective or sole) opinion?

I saw a horizontal sheet design that was pretty nice and took up less of the middle table.

Levitate sounds so much better until you realize that you can only float up or down in a straight line.

The levitate spell in general just sucks.

Jump is somehow better even on low strength characters.

Is there any point taking Rogue levels after 11? Or is the class just dipping sauce for people who want expertise?

So when will the trove update? We've had 1000 tiny deaths for a while now, and the redemption of Kelvan released earlier this week.

I'm partial to disguise self at will.
>wear a small mask all the time just in case someone can see through your illusion
>every day decide to look different just because

Posting my latest version of the warlock fixes I'm making. I would love to hear your concerns and criticism.

Some of the capstones are nice depending on what subclass you went with.
Also, reliable talent and shit is pretty dope.

It is pretty great dipping sauce though, yes.

That's the follow up item.

>warlock exclusive item
>"mask of suffering suffocation +1"
>can only be worn someone who is attuned
>while wearing the mask you cannot breathe and cannot take it off easily
>roll a 1d6 every round
>on a 1 you immediately fall unconscious and begin death saving throws
>on a 2-5 you take 1d20 suffocation damage and gain 1 level of exhaustion
>on a 6 it falls off
>while wearing the mask you regain 1 spell slot each turn you survive
SUFFOCATION

NO BREATHING

"Balance" the warlock by just making their invocations and giving them the option to expend spell slots to cast higher level invocations.

36k+ Viewers right now
In b4 REEEEEEEE

I'm watching. Despite what contrarian faggots say, it's pretty good.

Making their invocations at will*.

The problem isn't on those invocations, free use once per day would be great, but it's the limited number of invocations that make warlock too unidimensional.
There's simply no situation I won't take Agonizing Blast and Book of Ancient Secrets over the others. By 5th get Devil's Sight for Darkness/Hadar meme. 7th polymorph, 9th conjure elemental.

So it's either gimp yourself in combat or ignore Gaze of Two Minds is the coolest invocation we'll ever have.

>It's invocations provide a variety of unique abilities that can't be mimicked by other classes.
Just being nitpicky here:
Beast Speech = Totem Barbarian's Spirit Seeker
Master of Myriad Forms = Moon Druid's Thousand Forms (also the reason why it's a 15th level invocation)

The other at will stuff is great (even if situational), though.

Devil's sight honestly should be pushed to a high level invocation.

See

What's the funnest things I can do as a Wizard? I've never gotten to high levels before so now I'm wondering if there's any spells with cool uses.

Planar Binding + Conjure Elemental seems good.

>Game scheduled for 10:00 pm
>Player comes in at midnight
I HATE MY FUCKING PLAYERS SO MUCH

Mystic is how warlock should have been

It's good, my only problem with it is that I can't expend 4 hours watching it. The podcast is a godsend.

Want to but I'll have to catch it Monday

oh god no

>play warlock
>request the DM give you items that grant you additional warlock spell slots or invocations
>???
>class is fixed
who woulda thunk it

I've always played tanks, but I want to try my hand at magic, but the magic system seems so confusing. Can someone break down casting for me in simple terms? I try reading the book but I can't tell if I have to prepare each individual casting of a spell, or if I just prepare so many castings of 1st level spells, 2nd level spells, and so on. Like, do I prepare two fireballs and two magic missiles, or do I have 4 1st level castings, and those can be any of the 1st level spells in my spellbook, in any combination?

You keep increasing your SA die, which is the basis of your damage dealing.

Arcane Trickster gets Haste at 14.
All rogues get Wisdom proficiency at 15.
Thief has the best capstone in the game at 17 and Assassin's is alright.

Past level 10 Rogues are just behind Fighters and Paladins in damage, so they're an alright martial class.

Dear lord, stick to martials.
Your DM is going to fucking hate you. If you can't parse those rules correctly I would hate to see how you misinterpret the effects of spells.

Until you realize that Jump doesn't change jumping rule. So you are still limit by your speed.

Also Levitate can be use on enemy.

>items that grant you additional warlock spell slots or invocations
Like?

Playing a Fey Lock Wood Elf Thinking of going pact of blade for the bow from the UA is it worth it or should I go for a tome for those ritual spells?

>You can cast levitate on yourself at will, without expending a spell slot or material components.

It's like you don't even know what they're talking about.

Play a warlock. You don't have to prepare any spells. You just learn certain ones. You only have a couple spell slots and they're always the same level.

Should be easy enough for you to understand.
If you're confused just pick eldritch blast as a cantrip and use that. Pretend it's a bow and arrow.

THE CRINGE

simple explanation:

>spells can require materials which are consumed per cast (i.e., a feather)
>having an arcane focus negates the necessity for those materials altogether
>cantrips are free to cast
>you have spell slots
>spell slots come in different levels
>you can cast a spell of a lower level using a higher level spell slot
>some high level spells require materials in gold (actual money in-game)

everything else should fit into place lad

There's a bow pact?

Doesn't exist anymore. New UA replace everything with Eldritch smite.

Giving free choice of damage on Lifedrinker is strange, I'll pick force damage 24/7

Learning invocation spells is broken, they're invocations for a reason.
>Be cautious when changing the warlock spell list. Since warlocks regain their spell slots after a short rest, they have the potential to use certain spells more times in a day than other classes do. (DMG, pg. 287, Changing Spell Lists)

>Conjure Animals summoning Fey
>8 Pixies meme

Rod of the Pact Keeper (DMG, pg. 197)

What's a good name for an illusionist duo (male and female)?

You could try your hand at Sorcerer or Eldritch Knight first. For those class your just choose which spell you gave during level up.

That's, like, your opinion, man.

What about a wizard?

Watch it on YouTube at 1.5x speed, and split episodes in before and after breaks.

Bill and Hill

Their greatest illusion is pretending they have a good relationship.

>complete quest for your patron
>patron grants you the Dark Gemstone of Edge
>grants you a flat +1 spell slot

>complete a quest taking down an enemy warlock
>loot his corpse
>find a magical eldritch dagger with "LIFE IS SUFFERING" carved into it in infernal/abyssal
>when you hold it your patron tells you to cut yourself
>if you do so it permanently grants you the, I don't know, the Gothic Menace invocation or something
ez

Mystic is how everything should've been. There's few mechanical character concepts I could play that aren't better done with a mystic of one stripe or another. It does almost everything.

Fixing it with loot doesn't make it better.

No, but it is an option. And is probably better than making twenty different homebrew pdfs.

Wizard choose what spell they want to use from their spell book each day.

You can cast chosen spell freely as long as you have the spell slot for it. Unlike 3.pf, you dont have to decide how many time you want to cast fireball today. You can just cast fireball how many time you want as long as you have enough spell slot for it.

>my b-day coming up soon
>going to invite all my friends/players except one "that guy"
>after bowling we're going to do a free for all battle royal with our characters for fun
>one of my players wants "that guy" to join to truly see who is the best of us
>if i do it, everyone has to play dumb about what happened earlier that day

what do you guys think? are "that guys" just as bad when it comes to pvp or worse?

Go Cleric, you can still be a martial of sorts, and can't fuck up spell selection as you prepare spells

worse.

> 5e
> pvp
All of you are grognard anyway. Why not?

Don't do it.
They're be insufferable no matter the outcome.

If they win they will gloat.
If they lose they will bitch about something being unfair.

They will suck away all fun you could've had between the group of friends that understands the pvp is just for shits and giggles. Don't do it.

I don't know about how 'that guy' does at PvP, but I do know his tears will be the sweetest nectar should he lose.

That said, if he wins, you will regret it the rest of your days.

No, it won't even be that sweet. You can easily make him lose if you just target him, and if everyone sees him as that guy, surely everyone will.
Then he will bitch and moan about it being unfair.

Better not call him at all, OP.
If anyone confronts you on why, it's your birthday and you'd rather not have him. No need to be rude about it, they'll understand.

Anyone else feel like they're kinda...jaded? I dunno I'm stuck in episode 30ish but I wanted to watch this episode to see what's up with them and they all look bored and like going through the motions.

>free choice of damage
you're probably right. I'll change it to a damage type based on patron.

>learning invocations spells is broken
I disagree. It's certainly powerful, which is why I've generally increased the level of these invocations. For instance, at level 5 (the minimum level to get bane with my homebrew), a bard could cast the spell 9 times in a standard adventuring day. The warlock could cast it 3-7 times in a standard adventuring day using my homebrew. This is assuming both players devote all spell slots to casting the spell. In terms of targets affected by the spell, the warlock could affect 33 total targets (3*2*5+1*3), and the bard could affect 34 (4*3+3*4+2*5) total targets.

>conjure animals summining 8 pixies
This is only a problem if the DM gives you 8 pixies. The dm could as well give you a mixture of blink dogs and sprites, pulling purely from vanilla resources.

Been doing it this long and probably tired of the internet reeeeing at them for trying to have fun.

I don't think so. They've currently got fucking Jon Heder as a guest player and they can't stop giggling about everything.

Anyway, they're all like level 17 now, and it seems like they're stepping into the final arc about now.

i REALLY hope it's the vecna reveal and he just fucking wastes somebody

I don't think it's jaded as much as it might be a case of campaign/character exhaustion, as they've been doing playing these characters for 100 fucking episodes for 3-5 hours at a time (basically) every week for 2-3 years non-stop, along with another couple years of monthly 6-8 hour sessions for a couple years prior to the stream.

Only person they would is the guest, they're a show not gonna axe one of the stars.

My guess is that it is the Vecna reveal, but instead of him walking through and just vaporizing them, they get to the portal, enter into the Shadowfell and have to climb up through his tower (which we got an idea/vision of thanks to Vex's Hawkeye Shot from her Legendary weapon).

Sam's playing two characters right now, they could kill off his alternate character, but even at their level it's likely that they can revive him even from body disintegration with either Pike or Keyleth's magic.

Don't do pvp in 5e user. The system wasn't made for PvP at all. All PC are glass cannon, your match will just come down to "whoever get higher initiative win".

>at level 5 (the minimum level to get bane with my homebrew)
Bane's not the issue, no one ever thinks Bane's the issue. If you're the same guy from yesterday I imagine you still have Conjure Elemental in there? If so it's still busted.

the critical role battle royal seemed like a ton of fun, we're around their level when they did it

Been in a game where we do one-shots but with the same characters, where we rotate DMs.
It's fucking fun and saved me from being a forever DM. However, I still DM for a long term campaign.

I really love that each time you're a player party dynamic changes just slightly. Because you're missing one character that was there before, and gained one that wasn't due to rotation.
Meanwhile, the DM will have the same characters to DM for so they can have a feel for balance for that particular group.

Current situation we're two rogues and a bard infiltrating a camp as the sneakiest and most silver-tongued motherfuckers alive. Expertise has had us all rolling 20+ on our relevant skill checks. Fun shit. Makes me want to run a campaign where each member is a part of a thieves guild and the whole thing is just heists and shit.

No, conjure elemental has been replaced with a modified conjure animals, and shifted towards once per short rest.

Polymorph has been switched to just learning the spell (no free casts), and moved to level 12.

Not sure about that, they might but it seems like they tried to set him up for a happily ever after.

All Matt has to do is lie about the resurrection roll for whichever is better for the plot.

Yeah in the previous lock UA for blade fey warlocks

>4 luck o'brien

thank fucking god they're calling vax out on the thordak bullshit

Are you fucking kidding me? So the hexblade pact doesn't exist anymore as well?

Hexblade is coming into the next book with some changes, Curse Bringer invocation baseline and god knows what else

They might add it in the next supplement, but as it stands, the latest UA removed it. The latest UA is stupid though.

or, you know, talk to the players beforehand about a possible plot hook

Yeah just ignore that he has a shit ton of dice back there

Ensnaring Strike
1st-level conjuration
Casting Time: 1 bonus action
Range: Self
Components: V
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute
The next time you hit a creature with a weapon attack before this spell ends, a writhing mass of thorny vines appears at the point of impact, and the target must succeed on a Strength saving throw or be restrained by the magical vines until the spell ends. A Large or larger creature has advantage on this saving throw. If the target succeeds on the save, the vines shrivel away.

While restrained by this spell, the target takes 1d6 piercing damage at the start of each of its turns. A creature restrained by the vines or one that can touch the creature can use its action to make a Strength check against your spell save DC. On a success, the target is freed.

At Higher Levels: If you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the damage increases by 1d6 for each slot level above 1st.

Classes: Paladin (Ancients), Ranger

Does this mean for 1 minute all my attack apply this effect?

>The next time you hit a creature with a weapon attack before this spell ends

No. You get one hit for the spell, and then the status condition lasts as long as you concentrate.

The last UA directly referenced its features, it didn't include it because it probably didn't require significant revisions.

Don't listen to these fuckers. It's a ton of fun.
Just make sure your players understand the unspoken rule of targetting the faggot that tries to hide/avoid combat the entire time, like you would do if you're playing super smash bros.

Also, mention before you start that IT IS really unbalanced. Here's a couple alternate house rules you might want to consider that could make it even more fun.

>lair actions for the map on initiative 20
>random spawn locations
>if a player survives his death saves, they respawn with half hp (location determined randomly, that means nat 20 puts them at half HP too). This gives incentive to spend your extra actions/attacks to make sure the fucker is dead. Also, saving a PC from death could spark temporary alliances with inevitable betrayals.
>give everyone prep time before the battle begins (equal to a long rest, so they can change spells as needed)
>give a prep round at the start of combat, no attacking, just movement and non-attack spells
>consider using dynamic initiative (roll initiative at the start of every round)

Yeah, that's what I thought. This is their final arc right? After this they start over with new characters?