Advice on first army

Hey all, I am currently thinking of collecting a Space Marine army, but can not decide between Dark Angels or Space Wolves.

I like the Dark Angles colour scheme and their decent amount of fire power, but I'm not so sure about their whole "quest for redemption" and secrecy thing.

I like Space Wolves because, well, I like wolves, their unique models, Leman Russ and their fluff. I do think that they have a bit too much wolfiness, and was wondering how their fire power measured up.

I know I can just make my own chapter and add things I like about DA and SW to it but I'd rather just do one or the other.

Any help would be appreciated guys and sorry if this thread has already been posted.

I say go Angels, I don't play SM (Guard) but on a lore basis, as a suggestion, read more about the Lion if you haven't, and the whole knightly orders and such. Deathwing too, they are pretty bad ass. I have recently developed less of an uncaring attitude towards them since I see the Angels more as knights rather than inquisitors, what with all the secrecy. Also, look at some of the Dark Angels successor chapters, you may find something you like even more.

Strategists or retards that simply charge the enemy? Take your pick.

Thanks! I like the fact that there are instances where SW's care about civilians and such. I have heard that Dark Angels kill their own to keep their secrets, and the fact that they have/were infiltrated by a Changeling and was not sure if that was true or not. I did a little bit of reading into the Lion and there wasn't much that stood out to me but I'll give it another shot.

What if those strategists are a little evil though?

Yeah, it's pretty murky as far as their secrecy and the whole Cipher story goes. As for the wolves, I really can't take them seriously given them not being a Norse chapter and instead a fucking wolf themed one, some of their models too, I just cant stand. Their older lore is pretty great though, read about the first war for Armageddon.

This is true but there are times where the DAs have done their best to save civilians.

I like the fact that DA seem to balance shooting and CQC. Also, I don't want to start collecting them just to have them turn Chaos, which would be pretty annoying. I guess essentially what I'm looking for is the more "good guy" aspect which I realize its silly given the setting of 40K.

Any battles you would recommend me reading up on?

I've always wondered how Space Wolves manage to fuck through their power armor. Detachable codpiece?

Most Dark Angels forces are about their Ravenwing or Deathwing. Space Wolves have a much more unique entire roster and can call upon their core guys a bit more (talking about 8th here). Now, both still don't have their actual books yet so we aren't sure what their super unique gimmicks will be yet. Aside from Plasma Talon Blackknights I would argue that wolves have more specialized shooting and melee, while Dark Angels have unique terminators that are pretty impressive and then (now) overcosted bikes. Dark Shrouds are nice though.

As someone who made this call myself, I'd advise Space Wolves.

Dark Angels green is cool, but you'll end up painting black or bone more than green. All their lore is about fighting a tiny faction that nobody uses. Your power armour boys will generally be inferior to generic Marines. Gamewise, Dark Angels have tended to be a Deathstar army, and it looks like they'll still rely on special units.

Also Dark Angels are just one big reference to a poem about being a closeted gay, and people will smugly tell you about it all the time.

Space Wolves are more consistent, fit into more scenarios, and get cooler shit. Their Primarch is a glassjawed deserter and their Chapter Master rides a silly snow sled, but the chapter itself is pretty cool.

Since they got a section in the imperium index(And cypher and the fallen in the chaos one) I wouldn't think they are turning to chaos this edition, at worst some of them might but i doubt it.

Not that guy and I give the DA a lot of shit about ditching ongoing wars or even shooting their allies to cover their secrets, but they were decent guys in the purging of kadillus.

Got gifted a Space Wolf squad box one Christmas, and while I adapted it into my own chapter it was still a great kit.

While I cant speak for Dark Angels, the Space Wolf range is great for giving your models chapter, and you get enough to adapt the standard Scout and Marine boxes to the chapter easily. And the scuplted shoulder pads are a fantastic asset for when your starting out.

Personally Salamanders are my favorite because they're just all around cool guys.

They don't really get much special compared to Space Wolves or DA, but it's a fun army fluffwise.

If you're looking for good guy marines the Salamanders, as already mentioned, are the exemplar of that trope. The Lamenters are also a good choice for that, and are one of my favorite chapters but I don't particularly like their color scheme and their on the road to being squatted so you might want to stick with Salamanders

Seconding this. They seem to be a good mixture of what you want, what with the green color scheme and good nature. I'm not sure, but the Space Wolves might have the wolfiness toned down in 8th. I'd suggest you wait until the new codex drops and read the new fluff, then decide for sure.

Do Dark Angels. Cool lore and badass models, not enough people play them

Bonus points for an unforgivien successor like consecrators or something

Neither one, pick whatever that is not space marines. It's the blandest faction of the game, purely a power fantasy, with flavours like Dark Angels, Space Wolves and Blood Angels for extra edginess.

Just the names are laughable.

newbie with DA as first army choice here

I really like the DA and their story. Death and Ravenwing are very interessting choices. Flanking and falling in the enemys back is very easy. For 8e you can also create a "buff bubble", Azrael is a strong HQ choice now.

If you want to play DA but you do not like their story, play a successor chapter, or you can make a fallen angels army.
All the DA successor chapters will listen to the call of the supreme grand master, and they will just fuck ship up and kill everybody who knows too much.
Fallen on the other hand are just .. well, nobody knows if they are just renegades or full on chaos marines. Sometimes they are fighting the forces of chaos, sometimes they are fighting the imperium. Just look at cypher, we know about him and his journey to terra, but what do we really know =?

if you think sm are laughable, why are you even playing wh ?
donĀ“t you fucking dare to tell me tau, eldar, orks and all the others are not partially laughable

>toned down
Think again!

They are, everything is in 40k, that's part of the charm of the setting, but not to the point that just the very name of the army is ridiculous for its teenage edge (Dark, Blood, Wolves).

I play because despite the SM wankfest, the rest is passable. At this point, 40k is interesting DESPITE Space Marines, not thanks to them. Which is rather sad.

>Wolf Lord on Thunderwolf with a Wolf standard and Wolf Claws

Wait, you actually believe they are locked in their power armour?