sgiz.mobi/s3/dbadf27c707b

>5etools:
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Resources Pastebin:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previously, on /5eg/:
That one character you've always wanted to play, even if it's unoptimized but sounds fun, what is it?

In 5e? Kobold STR Fighter.

Halfling Paladin, oath of the ancients

First for Monster Hunters.

let's continue the critical role discussion in the other thread until it dies

Half-orc grappler/fist fighter

Wood Elf Dual-Weapon Barbarian

>always wanted to play
Character that uses gear, gadgets, and magical items instead of spell/martial power.

Playing dragonborn ranger right now. Too many orc aggression to do any range damage though. I am stuck as crowd control.

Commoner who survives by using tactical knowledge to turn fights to his favor using shit like environmental tricks or bluffs.

>current group coming to the end of what is in essence a single arc campaign
>people are jazzed to play again if I DM
>creating setting
>getting to the point of custom days, months, geopolitics just to have in case players ask during character creation
>standing on about a dozen pages of sentence/short-hand notes

When to stop, Veeky Forums?

New to 5e and I made a Half Orc Paladin that doesn't trust Nature or the Laws of humans so is attempting to become as virtuous as possible to hopefully make them more virtuous as bad Nature turns into discord and bad Laws turn into injustice.

Perhaps one of the flaws could be the character actually knows they don't live up to the expectations and they aren't even a full orc or a full human.

I made him sometimes snap in times of stress as he's part orc, and ambitious because he's part human. Any ideas?

Stop when you can reliably tell the story of a day in the life of a commoner, a king and a God in your world.

Right at nonstandard days/months. I'm not learning your calendar, and this is coming from someone who's written pages of backstory for my characters that I keep to myself for personal roleplay reference.

If Vecna becomes a thing, does this mean avatars will become a thing?

Sounds like you got a pretty solid character base to build from in game

Okay guys. Memes aside. How do I play a rogue?

That first one is almost always going to be
>sleep
>wake
>food
>work
>food
>sleep

With occasional worship, play, or entertainment thrown in.

What kind of rogue are you trying to play?

>looked up the Veeky Forums store in my new town
>tomorrow night is D&D night
>tfw already getting anxious about trying to find a new group of players

Always go for flanking if you can, make sure to disengage after every attack and make sure you have enough room on each attack round to pull back at least five feet. If you can ever hit someone without them seeing you, do that instead of being in the open. And abuse your sneak attack die like it's December 1st and you just shaved your beard.

>Always go for flanking if you can

>using flanking rules
oh dear god

>tfw playing in a game with flanking rules as a Barbarian

Hm, what's this about flanking? New to this discussion.

Use your double profession a lot to gain Intel of your DM world and tip the cute cake.

holy shit Satan, how many lives have you taken?

Use crossbows, plan out your bonus actions and reactions, stay out of danger because nobody cares about your punk ass. Hide your Thieves' Tools with Sleight of Hand. Try to be persuasive in real life.

I don't get this, Rogues are much better with a Shortbow in everyway unless you're AT/Swashbuckler builds. There's no good reason to risk your neck and give up hiding every round from 60 feet away.

I think he just means the fact they sneak attack with allies near.

Still though, bows are better.

Optional flanking rules giving advantage fuck up combat math, and make flaking conga lines. Entire class's features (like reckless attack) are negated by flanking.

Hmm half-elf variant might work. Shortsword proficiency and good stat allocation.

Stone Sorcerer is better defensively but it doesn't have +CHA to damage from GFB spam.

Do not steal from the party. They are your greatest assets and will carry you through thick and thin (theoretically). You can kill and maim and steal from everyone except your party and the people that your party cares about. You practically have to be a saint to your party but no mercy for the enemy.

Is Matt right with that rule? Can you teleport through a Prismatic Wall? Do you still take the damage?

One of my Players wants to play a Dragon Sorcerer with Force as his damage... Is this gonna be broken as fuck or not really when compared to Evokers damage ability?

Wait with your attacks until you have advantage.
Use your skills for party support.
Hide.

Drow beastmaster with a spider who uses whips and nets in combat. Magic initiate feat forsome clerical heals and guidance from lolth. three levels in rogue for assassin or battlemaster at a later point.
Probably way too mad and underpowered to work, and my current dm wont allow a spider on the revised ranger, so whats the point.

>Hmm half-elf variant might work. Shortsword proficiency and good stat allocation.
Nah, Variant Half-Drow for Rapier proficiency mate.

>can you teleport through a Prismatic Wall?

No. As long as the Indigo layer is intact, spells cannot be cast through the Prismatic Wall, which I assume includes Teleport.

Just don't let him cheeze his way to get Eldritch blast.

And remember to apply the CHA bonus to only one damage roll.

Yup, nothing stopping teleportation from going past it because teleportation goes through the astral plane and the prism isn't existing in the astal plane. That's kind of the big weakness of the prismatic spells. By the time you're actually a high enough level to cast them, the devastating effects are often meaningless because of how mobile high-CR enemies are.

It's pretty much the same as Evoker ability but they get it 4 level earlier.

That would imply that a random prismatic wall set up between 2 points would stop teleportation.

You don't teleport THROUGH anything, you simply appear elsewhere.

Hey! Give me some music for Lost Mines of Phandelvers you fags! Or I'll get you, man! Do it! Do it now! Now! Now!

Why not just full Drow then? Sunlight sensitivity doesn't really matter in most game

Force is the OP damage type bonus. It works on Magic Missile, and Eldritch Blast.

Magic missile is one damage roll though

I'd rule to apply it only to spells that require an attack roll.

Why? This is a serious question.

Now you just nerf Fire based draconic sorcerer even more. Good job.

So just tell him I won't let it work with EB and I should be fine? I mean Magic Missile spam Evokers already do so I've got no real issue with it.

Other then that what spells exist? Sword Burst and Disintegrate are the only two I can think of.

He wants to be the son of a powerful Wizard with no real talent at the Art, just natural inherited power. Plus we all think Wild Sorcerer's gay and annoying.

Keep in mind you can always reuse the mechanics with different fluff. Doesn't need to be "dragon" unless you want force breath dragons in your world.

I believe this
This I'm not sure, does this count as casting a spell through that location? As you are just appearing at that location.

Seriously. The one thing they have left, AoE fireballs and shit getting the extra +5.
I think it's a dumb errata desu. Pyro red dragon sorcerers are supposed to be THE blasty class and then they went and made wizards beat them at that too.

>The Indigo Layer prevents spells being cast beyond its protections.
>Dimension Door is a spell.

It doesn't matter if you're just 'teleporting through', you're still actively casting a spell that is beyond the point of protection from the indigo wall.

It's already RAW and RAI that Magic Missile gets the damage added on every dart, basically Evokers only reason for existing is single target insta-murder with it.

Yeah that's what we plan to do. Make the armour fluffed as having natural Mage Armour, raw magic energy and resistance and being able to fly.

He came up with the idea and honestly I like it, seems like something fun and different.

How the fuck do you know that dimension door doesn't go up, around, under, or transdimensional. Like, you know, the spell says. Dimension. Door.

You aren't casting shit through the damned wall, you aren't casting beyond its protection, you are avoiding it entirely. Otherwise, prismatic wall, anti-magic field, and hallow all block teleportation from a-c, if b is between them.

Tempest Cleric 2 / Evoker X?

Will it be fun?

Just go and have fun. The number of autists is usually limited

Woof Elf Fighter that uses a Longsword and is Dexterity based.

You can't do it well because longsword is strength only even though elves are known for being nimble and agile and elf weapon training, your racial trait, gives you the longsword as a martial proficiency. So even with all of that you can't play a Woof Elf Fighter that is dexterity based if you want to use a longsword and shield like a proper Link elfboy faggot. YES I AM STILL SALTY REEEEEEEE

Ask your DM to let you use a Slashing Rapier called an Elven Longsword? Is your DM a dick?

>Elf weapon training doesn't let you use dex on longswords
Quite frankly I'm gonna uninstall this game.

You're not avoiding it entirely. You're manipulating some forces to cause you to shift from point A to point B. But in this case, there's a fucking WALL in the way to prevent you from manipulating the forces like the way you want it to be. Also, read fucking indigo more precisely.

>While this layer is in place, Spells can't be cast through the wall. The layer is destroyed by bright light shed by a Daylight spell or a similar spell of equal or higher level.

>SPELLS CAN'T BE CAST THROUGH THE WALL.

It doesn't suggest WHAT spells can and cannot make it through the wall. Nitpicking and tearing apart the walls like the way you're doing defeats the purpose of having this level nine spell in place at the first place. If you take the rule literally, NO spells can make it through the wall, REGARDLESS of what your headcannon is.

Now get your head out of your ass and think clearly. If you don't want to have prismatic sphere work the way it is defined in the rules, that's perfectly fine. But don't suggest how you think it works and take it as literal fact.

Nothing wrong with playing a STR->Dex->Con->Dump character

>Slashing Rapier
EVERY TIME I BRING UP THE ELF BULLSHIT WITH LONGSWORDS NOT BEING DEX BASED ONE OF YOU FUCKS MENTIONS RAPIERS OR RESKINNING POCKET KNIVES TO BE A LONGSWORD IT'S NOT THE SAME AAAHHHHHHHHHHHH I'MMMA SO MAAAADDDDDD

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

A sphere isn't the same as a wall, a sphere would mean it is protected from all sides, and is thus encompassing. Not allowing anything inside it is fine.

When you have a single segment wall, people can get around it. I'm not watching this shit currently, but if you find this offensive, whats to stop people from teleporting from a to d then c, instead of going through b to get there. Fuck all.

I'm gonna draw a graph here.

You think A will happen, because the arrows going from one door to the other is on a different "layer" of reality. But in reality, B will happen because the "wall" (really a sphere, as Prismatic Wall is a sphere) affects the entire area, and could tell when something tries to go through it, plane or no plane interference.

Spellcasters, what's your go-to spell? That one where everyone in the party knows you use. That one you always prepare. That one spell you'll find some clever way to solve problems with even if there was a better way.

Mine's personally Suggestion, it's amazingly useful for a 2nd level spell.

What's the big deal? They're both straight bladed thrusting swords. Just describe yourself differently.

Catapult, always and forever

I'm about 90% sure longsword was supposed to be somehow finesse-able. The rogue has longsword prof for some reason FFS, despite not being able to backstab with it by RAW.

Maybe make two handing longsword also turn it into a finesse weapon (lord knows, it's not worth it for the +1 damage).

This is your Rapier, just with a more plain longsword hilt.

Magic Missile. All times, every times.

>watch critical role for the first time
>realise my DM has been pretending and failing to be Matt Mercer this whole time

Prismatic Wall CAN be a sphere, it isn't inherently so. Your entire argument is founded on an untrue principal.

>A shimmering, multicolored plane of light forms a vertical opaque wall - up to 90 feet long, 30 feet high, and 1 inch thick - entered on a point you can see within range. Alternatively, you can shape the wall into a sphere up to 30 feet in diameter centered on a point you choose within range.

If it's a sphere, i've already agreed that your saferino. If it's a flat wall, you can always go around it. It doesn't stop all spells going to X area behind it, only being cast through it.

I also say that saying it blocks all teleportation through which it intersects the start and end point if a line is drawn is retarded, as the mere existence of such walls would fuck up travel.

How embarassing. Hopefully he actually has consequences when you fail.

>imitation crab meat from the shitty chinese buffet that some japanese gook chops and mixes together with diseased rat meat is the same as a proper lobster meal with a waiter and sparkling $100 cups of water in a fancy restauraunt, who cares, user, they're the same exact thing, stop making such a big deal about it, just eat your pile of shit and accept it
a n g e r y

It's almost like real life had such things.

Mine too but at least he's actually pretty good at it. I just don't see the reason why everyone sucks that series off so much, shit seems mediocre at best to me.

But then I'm the type of old person who thinks vidya streams are stupid too, so who knows maybe I'm just old.

>Watching vidya/d&d instead of playing it
shiggy diggy

>Hopefully he actually has consequences when you fail.
Hah no.

Well when your options are starve to death, or eat a shitty crab. I'd take the crab and not bitch about it.

There's nothing we can do now, if your lucky they might make an Elven Longsword or a feat that lets you in another book.

Shut up and pick up Kensai.
Enjoy your Dex longswords.

Yeah, I know you're right.

I'm just a little ENRAGED-- but that's fine, I'm TOTALLY AND PERFECTLY OKAY WITH THIS.

That sucks. Knowing you can't fail ruins the game imo.
Crit role cast has severely fucked up on many occasions and matt just mercy's them out of it.

>my one-handed, 1d8 damage weapon wont be complete if it didn't say longsword originally

Picky. Just invest in Strength then, you whiner.

If you want a Sword and Board character that can cast spells then play a Ranger or Stone Sorcerrer.

you talkin shit about chinese buffets son

where else am I gonna get 5 pounds of various deep fried chicken and pork products for 7 bucks

do you even morbid obesity bro?

There was a place nearby where i used to live called SUPER SEAFOOD BUFFET. I was always far too frightened to enter. It also seemed to be in a department store style building, absolutely unsuited for a restaurant.

"More Dakka" Ranger Orc. Fighter would probably be better but I was drawn to Ranger first due to the stereotype and in either case Longbows are a Dex weapon despite taking considerable strength to pull back.

Hey /5eg/!

I've never DMed before but I'm working on something and wanted some feed back. All of my the players in my main group and our regular DM want to play an evil campaign but our DM doesn't have time for another campaign. I was thinking of stepping up to the plate. I know in evil campaigns the players usually set up what evil plan they want to accomplish instead of being thrust into a plot and choosing whether to move forward or stray. I wanted to do a dungeon crawl session to start with to get used to being DM and let the players expierment so I can see what they like to do. So I thought I'd do a literal dungeon crawl. I was going to start them all in the same prison that is an asteroid floating in a demiplane made by a Metallic dragon who runs the prison a) for profit and b) as a place to store all his trophies of captured evils and ne'er-do-wells as part of his hoard. The goal would be to escape and would be a good way to bring everybody together with a realistic motive.

My plan was
>Session 0: booking and processing
>Session 1: Escape!!!
>Session 2: Criminals in the wild (start of evil schemes)

I was going to set a timer from start of session for 1.5 hours and have it so that if they hadn't made and started executing a plan to escape that cultist would attack the prison and cause mayhem to try to help their Demon/Dragon/Whatever master escape giving them a way out but making escape more difficult.

I was planning on starting them at Lvl 5 or 10
Any cool encounters y'all think I should add? Comments?

Was think of starting them off with no equipment and making them smuggle, find, buy, or make weapons/magic focii.

Players range in experience from 5 years to 10 sessions.

Good news for the rest of /5eg/, but CR's done airing for tonight.

It's only a 5 hour and 42 minute episode. Granted, the first 15 minutes is thanking the community and their sponsors, and the break was a bit longer in the middle as well (close to 20 minutes), but that's still damn near 5 hours of film.

>That one character you've always wanted to play, even if it's unoptimized but sounds fun, what is it?
Wot4e water bender.
Only use my water abilities when there's water nearby. And when there is, nuke em with water shit. Otherwise, wait until a higher level to take hold person and "blood bend."

Worst part? I was waiting for the rebroad, as i got home 15 minutes after start time.

fucking five hours and only the last 60 minutes were worth a damn. worst part is that vecna didnt even show up

at least he was mentioned, I guess.

Explain to me how "add finesse to longsword when two handed" is a refluff in any way.

I'm trying to make the BBEG of my campaign, this powerful priest of a god of death, be a bit wily...

Is there any canonical implement that might allow him to control the movements of an undead remotely, as well as something he can use to communicate through (like an enchantment on a mask)?

I just think it'd be pretty cool if the party thinks they defeated him but then they take off the mask to reveal a rotting face... and then the BBEG starts speaking from the mask.

Need suggestions on how to portray this NPC, Veeky Forums

She's a succubus disguised as an elf and she infiltrated a major religious organization, filled with clerics and paladins. She herself has picked up some paladin training, represented in a few extra abilities. Obviously, she has a Ring of Mind Shielding, to protect her from Divine Sense and detect evil spells. She also used to be the romantic interest of one of the PCs.

How do I give subtle clues that she's not who she appears to be without giving it away? When it's revelead I want the players to have that "oh so that's why..." moment.

It's not even like a soft mention; Matt might as well have been hitting them with a baseball bat with, "Vecna's the final big bad" plastered on the side of it once he showed them the necklace the cultists were wearing.

But literally none of them decided to roll a History or Religion check to realize it's Vecna's "holy" symbol.

You can skip basically the first three hours; it's just them roleplaying out how they're going to get down into the tunnels leading to the ziggurat, followed by some roleplay of Pike and Grog trying to accept Scanlan's apology.

Yes, actually.

A spell called "Magic Mouth." Someone could cast it on a mask and have it's condition be "When the wearer of this mask is defeated, play my message."

Something like pact of the chain invocation from warlock that lets the warlock speak through their familiar using their own voice from anywhere so long as they're on the same plane.

You don't really need to follow the rules though if you're the DM. I like it though. Might steal the idea.