How common is it for the average person to own a spaceship in your setting...

How common is it for the average person to own a spaceship in your setting? Would it be the equivalent of owning a plane or boat? An eighteen wheeler?

The few ships belong to some of the richest states, even fewer belong to corporations.

It's relatively easy to get hold of the material (asteroids are mined extensively and materials science is advanced) for a spaceship and the actual physical assembly is not prohibitively extensive. HOWEVER in my campaign setting FTL travel is done through a warp rip-off and the only people who can navigate it are virgin orphan girls of caucasian lineage. They have to be hooked up to a special terminal (which is very expensive) which causes a total sensory override leaving them blind, mute, deaf, etc. and they'll most likely die if ever detached from it.

Govts usually raise a certain number of these girls themselves and speed/accuracy/safety of not-Warp travel correlates with their education (high level understand of mathematics and astrophysics) and emotional state (sadness/trauma are less likely to draw not-Warp predators) so they go through academies of varying levels of cruelty designed to produce a high quality output. Neither of these are essential to their use though so if you're trying to build a space ship on the cheap there are plenty of slavers and human farmers who sell girls you can use, without the training.

>(You)

Depends on the size. They're pretty expensive, but if you get a few guys to go in for it together they can afford a reasonably priced certified preowned spaceship. If you're talking about just spaceplanes that have no interstellar capabilities, it's only about as expensive as a year of rent in a decent apartment (assuming used). Not super useful for your average guy, but it'll get you anywhere in the planetary sphere in about 4 hours.

Did a campaign where a bunch of broke fucks got an old shuttle, paid to get it taken to the local asteroid belt, and had adventures and shit trying to get the money to buy a proper ship and get the hell out of the system. Good times.

40k meets ERP.

Small ships capable of doing short FTL jumps are cheap enough that smugglers and pirates flying such ships (rarely new ones, though; usually they use old decomissioned ships formerly owned by some corporation) are commonplace in fringe colonies. However, large ships that can travel long distances in FTL drive withou having to stop and rechage for several days are expensive enough that they're mostly owned by corporations and very few are found in hands of individual people (although there are many companies consisting of a relatively small group of investors pooling in resources to buy and operate one trading ship).

In my setting, Jumpers (orbital non-ftl craft) are about as common as boats, and ships with FTL-drives are about as common as private planes, with armed ones being even less common, within lawful space

Small ships capabale of travelling in system are fairly common but tend to be owned by groups or companies and are more like busses that help move even smaller vessels. Larger ones that can travel outside of the solar system are the same.

It is non-sexual. The girls/women plugged into spacecraft must be virgins.

the mere fact you must specify that means it is sexual

That's hot though.

>warp rip off
>sadness and suffering drives the NOT!Daemons away
this confuses me more than anything.

Any respectable spaceship, with a reasonably powerful engine, is a weapon of mass destruction.

Pretty much everyone can, if they really wanted too, seeing as becoming an alpha clone is cheap as fuck these days.

Private property has been abolished.

In WESTPACT countries, nearly all spacecraft are operated by the military, and the handful which are not are operated by civilian government agencies. Until recently, EASTPACT was much the same, and in most countries, still is, but the recently elected syndicalist governments in some of the Latin European countries have allowed worker owned businesses to begin construction of a few ships for their own use.

Wait, really? How much?

No, user. You are the spaceship.

Gee I wonder where they must be "plugged in" for the ship to know if they are virgins or not

Huh huh

The average person is a spaceship.

but wait user, if they get "plugged" does that mean they're still virgins? does the ship take their virginity user?

I do really enjoy the bits in the chronicles when capsuleers interact with normal people downwell - a couple of ISK being like a month's wage in local currencies.

Pod pilots just have no sense of normal people scale, they're terrifying immortal war machines that spend more on their ammo in a day than entire towns will see in their lifetime.

Killing the boners of demons with negative feels.

They swarm in on joy and more positive emotions.

The girls get a bunch of cybernetic ports put in but mostly the brain, face, spine and hands. Not in the vag.

Pretty rare desu.
It's medieval fantasy, so...

Do non-Caucasians not have souls in your setting?

I'm not too into the metaphysics of it but there's no spiritual difference between Caucasians and non-Caucasians. The reason they have to be of Caucasian ancestry is because part of the process involves inducing a kind of haemochromatosis in the candidate and the treatment used for that has a far greater uptake in Caucasian girls than ones of other races.

I mean shit nigger, I'm sure it's a fine and dandy setting but your FTL travel comes off more like some form of ryona fetishism, especially since you specify it MUST be a specific type of girl.

You can come up with reasonable in-universe explanations for pretty much any random thing you like, but there is no escaping the fact that you clearly decided that your FTL requires deeply traumatised virgin white girls to function and then you came up with a justification for that, and the in-universe justification for this has no bearing on why you decided it that was the result you wanted.

Well, the devils in the not-Warp are really horrible and they zoom in on a particular kind of person. The mostly fascist police states in space aren't really meant to be all that nice either.

One of my players is playing a woman who escaped from these academies and who now works as an blackmarket doctor/geneticist. Her whole motivation as a character is trying to find a way to reverse the process: she's trying to heal a navigator girl she rescued and has hooked up to a custom cybernetic rig that keeps her alive.

Like I said, fine and dandy. But the description certainly comes off like something I'd find in a fucked up japanese doujin.

I imagine the least cruel of all the schools have grade schoolers learning advanced physics while the teachers grill them intensely about the work and silently encourage the other girl to bully each other. Just so they can end up as promising human beings, but sucked of any emotion besides sadness and frustration and hooked up to spaceships to be turned into vegetables.

Eve has been F2P since last November IIRC. Problem is alpha clones are racially locked to their ships, and you can't fly anything larger than a cruiser. T2's are also completely locked as well.

So what do you call it?

So on a prison world are all of the women systematically raped in order to prevent escape from your magical realm?

I would say it's about the same as buying a boat. Kayaks are hover bikes, fishing boats are hovercars, speed boats are fighters and up to battleships being, well battleships. Only groups and the well off can actually buy a space faring vessel, and even then only the smaller ones. Pic related is what megacorps can buy.

In my setting, ships are exceedingly rare. Usually owned by the nation governments (who live in giant sealed off colonies orbiting earth) or exceptionally rich megacorp douchebags on the earth's surface who usually use them to transport mercenaries into space to raid supplies from the many asteroids that orbit the earth (which is the main source of metals for the space governments so battles naturally occur). But instead of full fledged ships, small fighters/bombers are common and space capable mechs are a dime a dozen. though these are usually powered by more conventional engines instead of a nuclear reactor like a space ship.

You must think in a pretty fascinating way about just about anything you read, watch, play, etc

I'm worried to ask if they are actually old enough to be considered young women, or if it's a bunch of soon-to-be vegetable 14 year olds that are cultivated and sold like animals.

Oh!
I thought he meant the paying/omega clone, I assumed PLEX prices had gone down massively. Which seemed weird.

Nah, I usually don't bother analysing the media I consume in detail because I don't find doing so very entertaining. Sometimes though you can't help but come across a concept that that makes you stop and wonder what the fuck the creator was thinking.

Well, Meta 4 items are still usable which are almost, but not quite, as good as T2. They just cost a lot more. Alpha's can fly the Gnosis, which is a (relatively) cheap Battlecruiser.

>An armed carrier belonging to """pacifist""" japs.

Right now, even in Africa, pretty much any person can own more horsepower, eat better food and have access to better medical technology than a 19th century nobleman, user.

It's really not too wierd to think that folks'd have access to spaceships in the future.

Maybe not in real life, but we're talking various people's specific settings. So who knows what crazy circumstances changes everything so that spaceships are exceedingly rare or exceptionally common.

Depends. After you get through all the training, service aboard a registered ship for a minimum of three years, or if you have the cash to skip all of that, all it comes down to is if you have the mentioned cash to own and maintain one along with a crew.

It's boring but I didn't feel like over-complicating it.

>Weight
that varies with gravity.
Why not use Mass?

Because the greater the mass, the greater the generated gravity, ergo weight.

>Would it be the equivalent of owning a plane or boat? An eighteen wheeler?

more like owning an oil tanker desu

shits fucking expensive nigga, and there's not a whole lot to do with a ship thats anything in any way near what an average person could purchase

if you needed to travel to the outer colonies a lot and didn't want to ride on normal passenger lines for some reason i guess it could be useful, but you are gonna have to be rich as fuck to do that

if you want to go do industrial shit like asteroid mining, you're gonna need a lot more than just a personal ship and sure as fuck aren't going interstellar in it with no ftl travel

Somewhat common, depending on the size of ship
Lots of people are owner/operators of small freighters, but larger and/or armed ships are rare outside of business and governments

This, sci-fi that pays even the slightest of attention to basic physics is best sci-fi. I'm not even talking about hard sci-fi here, just that it actually uses the interesting setting that is space instead of doing the standard 'space is just an ocean' snoozefest shit.

Why Caucasian? Is this a fetish thing or am I reading to much into it because of how fucked up shit gets on this website?

It's already clear it's some fucked up fetish thing. But he did describe it here

......so an obscure medical condition found more often in folks of European ancestry is the source of your ftl travel? Part of me wants to bitch, but compared to some of the shit I've seen on here, it ain't that ridiculous. Make of that what you will.

I can get behind ridiculous explanations for things if it's going for rule of cool to be honest. But when you have stupid explanations for painfully obvious fetish stuff it's just ruined for me.

Owning a car, a very nice car, that goes fast, and can into space

This is most likely just a vehicle for fucked up sexual race play bullshit. Fuck the pure white virgin and all that. To each their own I guess. But I'm with you on the rule of cool thing. Just having in depth, well thought out background info on how shit works is fascinating to me.

Haha, I wish it was just basic raceplay, but I'd say this magical realm is more about the suffering of the girl. Hence the "government raises the girls in shitty conditions while drilling high quality information into their brain just to make them vegetables plugged into space ships" shit.

>plex ever going down

So them being white is irrelevant outside of the whole medical condition thing? Very well. Part of me doesn't believe that, but maybe I'm just jaded as hell.

It's probably a small part of it, like having a preference for a specific body type. But the main attraction is the ryona shit going on.

>race play
Is this real? Do people really take "ooga booga where the white wimmins at" seriously enough to fetishize it?

The medical condition isn't natural, it's induced. That's why they use Caucasians, because they can induce it successfully. It's part of linking them to the ship as a single entity so they can skirt the not-Warp with it.

The whole thing is meant to be horrible and intentionally plays on historical sexual vulnerabilities and fears. Please stop reading fetish stuff into it like it's the whole point of my setting.

>How common is it for the average person to own a spaceship in your setting?
Not very. There are a lot of people out there and most of them are too busy doing other things like being space accountants to learn how to fly a spaceship.
However, if you're in the right place, a spaceship is about as affordable as a modern boat.
Of course, there's still a world of difference between buying something the size of a Raptor from Battlestar Galactica that you might use to visit your family twice a year and a flying home comparable to the Millennium Falcon.

So it's the torture and immense mental trauma then. Oh joy. Sometimes I forget that there are some folk into that kind of shit. Then I get back on here and have my faith in humanity re-shattered.

Citizens cannot own personal property in the Confederacy without the approaval of the War-Effort board.

Folks be into some fucked up shit yo. Spend enough time in the abyssal pit that is the Internet and you will see things.

It's really hard not to think that when you specifically specify "Virgin orphaned girls who are regularly abused and tortured for the sake of FTL". If you make them young it only gets worse. Like if I told you I have a race of immortal beings that live off of sex in my setting it'd be hard not to accuse me of magical realm that's because it may partially be on a subconscious level but that's beside the point

>seemed weird

About as common as it is for the average person to own a submarine.

>WHITE virgin orphaned girls
Fixed that for ya.

Dude, what the fuck.

Oops, forgot that one. But either way my point is, if you add something that can have sexual implications (such as vulnerable young women) your best bet if you don't want to be accused of magical realm is to make it as general as possible.

If you say "This is a society that's ruled by a matriarch" for example, it's going to come off as just an odd place to differentiate itself. But if you specify "This is a matriarchal society where the men are slaves to women and are commonly gagged to avoid speaking out of line and feminine figured men are highly prized by these women and..." you start coming of as implementing something for the sake of "It's hot.".

Yeah. The whole medical condition thing ain't bad, but picking one that is so specific about who has it and the added torture elements make easy as fuck fetish fodder. But he said its referencing historic white fears of non white men messing with white women. So maybe it ain't as sexual as we are making out.
But I doubt it.

I doubt it as much as you do, because it's definitely not "non white men fucking my white girls" considering he never specified any other race but the girls'. The connection he might be making is "Women fear getting overwhelmed and violated by men who are stronger" or something, but I'm not seeing any of that in the work because it's all about psychological torture and then vegetablization.

If that's the case then it's just 40k style grimderp chicanery. Which ain't much better, but at least it isn't so race baity.

Pretty much, the only thing I'm seeing is "What if I took 40k navigators but made them all young girls."

A Burroughs-Long-Libby Continua Device costs a few thousand dollars.
A 2-hour spaceproof enclosure for up to 6 humans costs another few thousand.
Good luck getting Aunt Sharpie to sell you a Continua Device though.

There are people into shit filled diaper play, roleplaying as a plantation owner and his slave girls is one of the most tame things you'll run into.

>if you add something that can have sexual implications (such as vulnerable young women) your best bet if you don't want to be accused of magical realm is to make it as general as possible.

Everything can have sexual implications.

Hell, everything does.

Well that is true, but some carry a lot more than others. Young nubile women bound and gagged for example carry a lot more sexual implication than a tree that looks like it has a dick.

I'm working it to your crippled traumatized white navigator girls user and there's nothing you can do to stop me

Don't be like me and forget the virgin part as well. really kills the whole experience.

Of COURSE! It's so obvious!

Varying degrees of difficulty, depending on how big you want it and how far you want it to be able to go. A smallish planet hopper is generally going to be something most middle/upper middle class folks could afford if they really wanted to. Most of the difficulty is in getting licensed and certified.
A corvette capable of running around most systems is generally going to be a rich mans toy, or maybe jointly owned by many people. Anything larger than that is both sort of rare and generally the domain of political, social, or corporate entities. Usually. A hypercorp CEO could probably afford to privately own something really big, but even in that case it's going to be a pretty chunk of change.

In most cases anything larger and fancier than a shuttle is going to be mortgaged and jointly owned by investors, crew, officers, and other interested parties and paid off over several decades

All of the above are generally slower than light. Ship specific FTL in setting is uncommon, at least in human hands. There's a galactic embargo /quarantine on human controlled systems, as well as a travel ban, and traditional warp engines make really obvious energy signatures. Generally humans travel via wornhole gate type dealies that the ruling aliens don't know work and that have allowed humans to sneak around and colonize shit.

The other kinds of FTL are rarer and pretty much dispensed on a case by case basis. One is basically mass astral projection, but that requires dangerously powerful psis. The next uses highly unstable, juryrigged manmade wormhole gates, but those have to travel stl to get to where they'd lead. The last one is the most flexible and versatile, but it requires very specific people. To make a navigatior you need someone with a certain mutant/ancient alien gene (which is limited to a handful of families) exposed to a shit ton of LSD and nootropic drugs in utero, then trained from a young age while also being hopped up on a shit ton of drugs and neuromods that allow them to deal with the input of their special genes, which lets them see in 6d. The ftl system lets them basically move outside the universe as we understand it, and their training allows them to process what they're doing and not dissolve the whole ship into quantum foam or send it into a nightmare half reality. It also makes them absolutely batshit, or at least completely unable to deal with normal people. Most of them don't live til 30, though those that do basically start metamorphosizing into transdimensional superbeings. Or explode

It's extraordinarily rare for someone to own a proper interplanetary spaceship as an individual. There are a few large companies that provide shipping, and quite a few countries have a space-fleet, even if they don't have colonies.

Spacefaring in the 2100's is similar economically and sociologically to seafaring in the 1600's: the tech is there, but the expense of making a interplanetary vessel is so immense that only nations and groups of wealthy merchants can really afford it. Personal craft are common enough among the wealthy, but they rarely leave orbital space - The iridium-alloy plating they use to block radiation needs to be specially treated to block enough to leave the magnetosphere of the planet safely.

That doesn't mean there aren't fucktards who try anyway though. Plenty of people developing 13 different kinds of cancer after taking a trip in a personal craft to mars (they rarely make it there without committing suicide in the first place, and if they do the cancer will almost definitely kill them before they get back home.)

15% of Americans still believe the earth is flat though, despite personal space travel being accessible to the middle-class.

Of one wealth family or two or more middle class families were to completely liquidate everything they had, they could get a middle range cargo hauler, but the whole family becomes the crew and lives aboard, with the debt possibly lasting a generation or more, passed down the family.

Ftl is achieved with a (insert technobable) drive, but a human must act as an "anchor" of reality, wearing a helmet connected to the drive computer. The "diver"'s view, knowledge and belief in the ship keeps it together during the dive, while the fly computer also used the divers brain for extra processing power.

Larger ships can house the computers large enough to work around this, but when a tramp freighter captain says him and his crew know every nut, bolt, and fleck of paint on their ship, you'd beat believe it

In game, small craft able to reach orbit are fairly common and reasonably cheap/available. They are not interplanetary.

Interplanetary craft vary by system and most can't really get to the outer planets, legality and regulation apply.

The next step is the craft capable of outer planet travel, including within systems too close to engage hyperdrives.

Hyper drive ships are restricted to corporations and governments. They are considered illegal in the hands of others. Away from the 'civilized regions', control and ownership are no longer as tight. Most are huge monsters, cost savings in size, thousands one most, but even bulk haulers have crews of a hundred. Smaller ships are very expensive and fast, but horrible poor as cargo ships. Maintenance can be painful.

Our ship is in the same size and capacity as Han Solo's and is more aerodynamic. We also have an small triphibian (fly/land/underwater) that holds 4. The cost was high and in some systems, ownership carries the death penalty. It spends far too much time being repaired and tuned up. Fun little ship.

Considering that 'virginity' is basically a made up non-state that bares 0% physiological differences from 'not-virginity', how the actual fuck is this relevant if it's not just your fetish?
I find this magical realm dull and uninspired.

Why the blockade on humans

Ships were effectively cars. Enclosed motorcycle style, two seater, four seater and so on, used for getting around planetside and if needed, could take off into space and had a "sprinting" light drive for getting around the solar system. Later in the campaign series, they could be outfitted with a space fold FTL drive with no range limitations, but were dangerous if you came out in the middle of something.