/tgesg/ - Weekend Elder Scrolls General

Assholes edition

>Tabletop/P&P RPGs
[UESRPG - P&P RPG] docs.google.com/document/d/1pTgTN2aJUoY95JtquowagfUJLL7tCQYhzJKcCAcbvio/edit?usp=sharing
[Scrollhammer - Tabletop Wargame] 1d4chan.org/wiki/Scrollhammer_2nd_Edition
Discussion in #Scrollhammer (irc.thisisnotatrueending.com (port 6667))

>Lore Resources
[The Imperial Library] imperial-library.info/
[/r/teslore] reddit.com/r/teslore/
[UESP/Lore] uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Main_Page
[Pocket Guide to the Lore] docs.google.com/document/d/1AtsWXZKVqB4Q825_SwINY6z4_9NaGknXgeOknOCDuCU/edit
[Elder Lore Podcast] elderlore.wordpress.com/
[How to Become a Lore Buff] forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1112211-how-to-become-a-lore-buff/

>General Rules
This is NOT /tesg/ minus waifus, so behave properly.
Keep the squabbling to a minimum.
No waifus/husbandos except Nerevar

Previous Kalpa:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-RIULSMuW_Q
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I'm claiming this thread for the glory of Alkosh, and there's nothing you can do about it.

Claim overruled.

Where do you guys want the next video game to be set?

You hold no power here.

Don't even care at this point, plus we just have speculation.

Valenwood.

>Assholes edition

Really? That's what you're going with? On Veeky Forums?
Well, this should be interesting.

Valenwood or Hammerfell seem like the best bets. I don't know which I'd prefer. Valenwood may have some cool non-traditional creatures we haven't seen before but the terrain could be boring or generic. Hammerfell might have better scenery and cool dwarven ruins but you can expect the animals to be generic (giant scorpions, some type of big cat) and expect the largest bustling port city to have like ~20 people in it.

Lore-wise Valenwood may advance the Dominion storyline and collapse of the Empire we have been waiting for since daggerfall, but Hammerfell has lots of interesting stuff too.

Right now though I want deserts and pirates and araaaaabaian nights

I've been trying to play Daggerfall (and failing at the first quest I go on, too), but I'm curious why temples to Zenithar are called 'The Resolution of Z'en.' Isn't Z'en the name of a Bosmer deity?

Hammerfell.

hnnnnggggg

Hammerfell.

>hippy elves living in trees again

What makes this at all interesting?

my redguards

They eat people.

Oh, nice. Better than Dark Sun's cannibal halflings, at least.

After you've come out of Privateer's Hold, you could start out by raiding graveyards.
They have a small crypt in the centre, which is quick and easy to clear.

Perhaps not the most ethical thing to do, but who cares about the memory of some long-dead Breton?

Z'en and Zenithar are different interpretations of the same thing. Z'en isn't even originally Bosmeri, they imported him.
Plus Bretons already venerate Y'ffre (as Jephre).

>Redguards think they have dominion over Breton waters
>Orcs think the land of High Rock is their's
>Nords claim the snow and ice of the north
BRETON STRONG

I was just dumb with a quest I got from a tavern keeper, asking me to find a book - I mistook a copy of 'The Biography of Barenziah, Part III' for the book he wanted, 'The Real Barenziah, Part III.' The dungeon is far away enough and big enough that I won't possibly find the book in time.

Thanks for the tips on starting out though. Real dungeons are terrifyingly gigantic.

Whats the most boring roleplaying character traits and why is it book boner and dwemer boner

p-pls no, those are my favorites.

Thras or Pyandonea

At least they offer some sort of motivation.

My least favourite is:
>"i dunno i just want to travel and stuff"
Because 9/10 times people play it as identity-less and more about reacting than having any driving force. Not saying that you can't do wanderlust right, it just often doesn't work out all that well.

>not wanting to play a plucky librarian who came to a foreign land to find rare books and knowledge but ended up getting swept into a dramatic adventure beyond your wildest expectations
It's like you hate fun

Will be DLC for ES VI: Dominion

I honestly think Thras could be jam packed into a DLC.

What is the chance of seeing left handed elfs in Elder Scroll VI

But they're both interesting because it's about the accumulation of knowledge, rather than just treasure (which anyone will eventually get enough of after a fairly short time) or martial skill (which can get awkward if the enemy ever levels up with you like in Oblivion or Skyrim).

Imagine a guy going through an entire dungeon full of bandits and undead and whatever, and all he wanted was this book near the end. What the fuck dude, you killed a lot of people for something at your local library.

Better that than
>you killed a lot of people at your local library.

>Where do you guys want the next video game to be set?
Elsweyr or the Summerset Isles.
Summerset could be cool to see the fall of the Thalmor from inside

But if it's set in Hammerfell, maybe we'll learn more about them.

>want
if this is an open-ended, "as long as it's elder scrolls and (mostly) on nirn it goes" question, I'd really like a nautical one covering the shores of Akavir and Morrowind, and the islands in between, a la ass creed 4 exploration- and naval-combat-wise. If it's a little less open-ended and confined to Tamriel, then Summerset, and you can only play as an elf (a restriction I wouldn't mind). If it's gotta be something plausible I'd rather they not trash the lore of another region, and I'd really like to see mainland morrowind, or a return to high rock with some more fleshed-out breton lore. And if you meant to ask "where do you think it will take place," obviously Valenwood, which I'll be fine with even if it's far from my first "choice."

Valenwood.

The lore's a nice return to the surrealness of Morrowind, and already written so it'll be hard to fuck up. If it is fucked up, at least I get to bully Fargoths, fuck Bosmeri sluts, and torch their precious jungles while eating a salad.

>more fleshed-out Breton lore

Why would they? I know that fans have dug up a lot of interesting tidbits of lore about the Bretons and High Rock, but there doesn't seem to be the same interest from Bethesda. They seem content with the generic medieval, vaguely French/Celtic interpretation.

I am a little hopeful for something more navally-related in general, though. It was disappointing to go through Skyrim and have little in the way of pirates or raiders from the sea, and I think Bethesda picked up on that. Even just 'invading the Summerset Isles' would probably need to make use of ships, so they could easily work it in even if they don't go for your idea specifically.

Does anybody here seriously disagree that AlmSiVi are/were assholes? Dunno how far up your own third aperture your head would have to be to think they were anything but.

>After you've come out of Privateer's Hold, you could start out by raiding graveyards.
>They have a small crypt in the centre, which is quick and easy to clear.
I made a guide for people starting out in Daggerfall for /tesg/ and pastebinned it years ago, wish I'd remembered to bookmark the link. That's like the #1 tip for new players though, if you're willing to do it tomb raiding is absurdly easy and lucrative. #2 is to get a horse and wagon ASAP so you can do more dungeons in a run or ransack entire large dungeons. Secret tip #0 is to turn mouse look on, seems like every time someone I talk to picks up Daggerfall they miss that option and bitch about the controls when it pretty much controls like a modern game when properly configured.

>The lore's a nice return to the surrealness of Morrowind
It's going to be a generic fucking forest. Enjoy your Oblivion 2.0

The main reason I want Hammerfell over it is because they CANNOT fuck Hammerfell up. Also it'll be refreshing.

>Real dungeons are terrifyingly gigantic.
Mark and recall my friend.

>there doesn't seem to be the same interest from Bethesda. They seem content with the generic medieval, vaguely French/Celtic interpretation.
You mean, apart from the forsworn, which are like a vague modern echo of the MK art of bretons and the daggerfall covens?

Keep in mind that right up until Skyrim, Nords were generic vikings sans sea travel and most of their province was corrugated by mountains too steep for any large settlements or lasting agriculture to form outside of coastal areas. The most interesting lore about Skyrim was that Potema and Pelagius came from Solitude, and that Wulfharth was an ancient Nord king. In fact all interesting NORD lore was about Wulfharth because he was the only Nord that wasn't fucking boring. Bretons already have the forsworn, the Direnni and Hjalti going for them.

Of course if you read a bit closer I said that was something plausible that I want, not something likely. What I actually expect is Valenwood.

It won't, and considering ESO made it a jungle and A Dance in Fire is in Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim, most of the lore is going to be hard to replace.

Enjoy FO:NV's orange tinted desert with all the soul, humor, and fun sucked out of it, f'lah.

>most of the lore is going to be hard to replace
Gave me a hearty laugh. Thank you user.

>It won't,
You know it to be true. No way they're doing the alive trees thing

>Enjoy FO:NV's orange tinted desert
To be fair, as of Fallout 4 BGS has shown that they are actually capable of graphics with shaders other than "smeary speculars" and "a single monochrome tint washing everything out." The gameplay's fucking good too, if we don't see the charisma mechanics in particular in future TES and FO titles I'll be pretty disappointed. Sadly the writing is fucking abysmal.

Even funnier from the guy who said they can't fuck Hammerfell up. At this point I hope it's Hammerfell just to come over here and watch you cry about how it ruined everything.

They already stopped moving.

It's a vague modern echo, but it's also not in High Rock, but in Skyrim. It's sort of like saying the Grey Quarter in Skyrim is an echo of Morrowind, you know? I get that you mean it's something interesting about the Bretons, but they way they're set up in the lore they're treated like their own group - the Bretons of High Rock certainly don't consider them Bretons. If you look at High Rock itself, last we've seen of it before ESO was Daggerfall, and that was pretty generic. ESO isn't much different.

I'm not actually too well-read on pre-Skyrim Nordic lore - I thought it had a lot more ice and a lot more focus on the Nordic pantheon, sort of like Morrowind's Solstheim - well, the colder part of Solstheim. I'm not saying that that was really more interesting than what Skyrim came out with, but Skyrim's take on it felt boring to me. But whatever, I know that I'm in a minority. Gist of what i meant before was that I expected a coastal province with not!Vikings to have a lot more to do with it's coast.

You did make it clear that it was more far out than you thought was possible, I thought that was clear. And I should make it clear I'm just a faggot talking out of my ass in a lot of ways.

the thuum was written about before skyrim afaik

>considering ESO made it a jungle
?

This is a more general roleplaying thing, but Jesus do I hate it when people make characters whose defining trait is "He's random/crazy!".

Sellswords or my whole family was killed by this faction/guy so I must avenge them!

Paladin who is so obviously heading for a fall.

> because they CANNOT fuck Hammerfell up

Setting you expectations low or just being emotionally dead?

>It's a vague modern echo, but it's also not in High Rock, but in Skyrim. It's sort of like saying the Grey Quarter in Skyrim is an echo of Morrowind, you know?
Exactly. It's a watered-down version of what we'd see in High Rock's wilderness. Glenmoril Coven is also still a thing, other covens presumably are as well.

Also I'm not saying Skyrim isn't kinda lame lorewise, but Nords were basically reworked from the ground up (granted there wasn't much "up" to work...) and are vastly more interesting than they were before. Even the region was radically altered, the PGE basically describes it as being almost 100% craggy mountains and narrow valleys and covered in permanent snow, while what we got was a diverse land with hot springs, mountains, tundras, taigas, conifer forests and green valleys, that had actual seasons (the game takes place during the summer, and you can see that most of the province is NOT covered in snow), based on real-life scandinavian landscapes, which is a big improvement imo.

Yeah, the thu'um stood out, mostly because it was a thing Wulfharth did. If you read the original PGE article on nords, it's all bare facts about their early conquests and genocides, and then the one neat cultural note is about the thu'um.

Still better than
>your local library killed a lot of people

Both.

literally the plot of Dragonborn

At least the librarian was cute.

Crowns and forebears are handled like colovians and nibeneans in TES IV (or even worse). Also, redguard pantheon is flushed down from a sink.

If your local library has tomes of ancient powerful spells, I'm moving there.

Would they forget about the ash'abah y/n

Who was that one guy, Nerevar's old friend who muched up the Heart of Lorkhan? I forgot his name. He had really big hands and lots of candles.

Neloth wasn't the librarian, user...

youtube.com/watch?v=-RIULSMuW_Q

Are you trying to imply something about Mora?

THAT'S

Of course not. Neloth is was not the cute one. Hermaeus Mora is.

Reminder that liars tear each other apart forever in Attribution's Share.

Do you think Dagoth Ur's messing with the heart (or the Tribunal, for that matter) affected the state of the kalpa through somehow twisting Lorkhan, even if indirectly?

Why do Daedra worshipers live such unfilled lives compared to those that worship Aedra?

Because they either squat in caves, or descended from poop elves.

That is uncalled for. Hermae is the cutest!

They're either shunned, live in a shithole, are shit, or a combination of the three.

But Markarth is a city. They're proper, working citizens, yet they still find extravagant ways to fuck up their boring, but benign lives.

Most lands worship the Aedra/not the Daedra, so people who worship the Daedra are seen as dangerous.

You also have to remember that most daedra worshipers you meet outside of Morrowind (and I believe Eleswyer?) are worshiping only one daedra. Imagine someone so obsessed over one thing that they're going to join a cult instead of paying due respect to all spirits - especially when those cults often want you to be diseased, or live somewhere that's really dark, or to be cannibals when most races aren't cool with that.

So why is Dagoth Ur objectively the best villain the series has had even though his story is generic?

>you will never be invited to join the sixth-house

Why even live?

>his story is generic
>be Voryn Dagoth
>help friends win a war
>be trusted to guard a part of a dead god
>turn insane
>murdered by your best friend
>resurrected by said heart
>attempt to change the world into your own image using a biomechanical super weapon from a dead race
>murdered once again by your best friend
>after countless ages pass some n'wah on an akaviri tapestry weaving memospore calls your back story generic
This angers the unmourned house.

This is from my fuzzy understanding of the story - because of how it's set up, you're actually invited to understand his motivations and his history, and even as he is your antagonist he sends you letters attempting to treat you as the friend he once knew. He's a well done sympathetic villian - probably so well done because you really can't give him any quarter, for the sake of all of Tamriel.

>But I agree with him and would rather join him!

And that's something you can reflect on after you've destroyed him. Was he really the villain he was made out to be, or was he able to contain his madness and evil behind a mask of sanity? Was the world that you fought to save - with its false Tribunal and its grasping, conniving Emperor - really worth fighting for?

It IS generic.

It's the classic "hero gets corrupted by evil item" trope; see Arthas, Frodo, etc.

>everything is a trope because I looked it up on TVTropes, and that means I can deride everything as cliche because it's been done soooo often in soooo many contexts that I've probably never even read/watched myself to understand why those individual tropes worked in those cases!

Yes, I am mad.

I remember when Frodo used the ring to transform Middle Earth into trumpet-nosed zombies and remove the elves from the Shire
In all seriousness his story is just the best out of all the villains in the series.
>Corrupt politician
>Corrupt politicians
>Dead-Not-Dreaming
>OOGABOOGA IM THE BOOGY MAN
>Dragunz n Shiiiieeet

Never said that just because it's a trope it's inherently bad, just that it's been used elsewhere.

I even noted that he's the best villain in the series DESPITE of the rather generic background

I know tropes are supposed to be distinct from cliches, but I've mostly seen them treated as such - and I still think it's rather insulting to look at a work and automatically put it into some box.

Even ignoring the question of if he was actually corrupted by the heart or not - there are conflicting sources of information on that front - it's deeming his entire background generic because of that one point. I'm pretty sure some people would get mad at the implication that Frodo and Arthas are generic as well.

I've been going to these threads since I was in highschool, so at least over two years.

Two years. It's just crazy to think about. I love you all.

I wouldn't say it's that generic. Tropes are the hammer and nails in the toolbox of story telling. Most stories involve the same tropes, that's why we can categorize them. Making that trope interesting or subverting it in an interesting way is how an author plays with an idea. For example, the idea of an Assassin Guild is a trope, but the Morag Tong is an interesting take on it, and fills a societal niche.

Dagoth Voryn

We love you too user. Now sleep.

Remember that love is essential to the stability of each kalpa, user.

Always welcome.

That's Dagoth Ur.

This. Yes, it's a trope, no, that doesn't make it generic.

Threadly reminders:
>any and all new deeplore on dwemer will be shit but people won't stop demanding it, so we might have some
>redguards won't be developed beyond Bushido pirates, their religion will never be displayed on the same level as Tribunal Temple was, their spirit swords will be a game gimmick and other races (player character) will be able to produce one as well, within the first days of in-game time
>The Hist will be normified. Hard.
>Tsaesci will never make an appearance that will satisfy the lorenerds
>Summerset Isles and Valenwood will be "muh high fantasy, DnD aesthetic"
>Ayleid lore is dropped and won't be developed further than one or two quests related to clearing a dungeon and getting an item reward
>Moon sugar will never be "not!cocaine", it will never be used to address either the mythical aspect of drug use like induced trances etc. or the serious problems concerning drug addiction and traffic (aside from drugs are bad, m'kay morality, like an actual analysis)
>Daedric Princes will keep on getting streamlined, nothing new will be added to them, they will be used as stock villains or quest givers, every question regarding princes will be answered with either "rule of cool" or "it was the easiest way out for the devs"
>Imga, Sload, varieties of Khajiit, varieties of Bosmer (and the dimorphism), differences of Colovians and Nibenese, Akaviri influence on Septim Empire and it's fate in the 4th Era

Why even fucking live?

Elswyr or Hammerfell.

Because i know the developers are going to be lazy and the tech is still restricted so jungles are going to be out of the picture.

Nothing says lazyness as a big patch of nothing.

Otherwise Summerset and High-Rock are good options.

Let's not forget Akavir as well.

>Ayleid lore is dropped and won't be developed further than one or two quests related to clearing a dungeon and getting an item reward.

Fuck, they can't do this to me! They have bits of language, they're part of an overall patchwork of elven civilizations that thrived on Tamriel before human dominance, they worshiped Daedra and Aedra, they had a distance difference in their ideas on magic, they might have been not!Khajiit birdmen...

I don't care if their dungeons were boring and if they did not exist before Oblivion - they add so much to the setting, more than the Direnni and arguably as much as the Dwemer.

>Summerset Isles and Valenwood will be "muh high fantasy, DnD aesthetic"

My one wish for a TES set in Summerset is that they make bits of Alinor still weird in the 4th era because of the use of Tiber's use of Numidium on the Isles.

I think we're at the level of grafics tech where they can show off the crystal towers and other craziness described in the books nicely.

>when you realize the only good Elder Scrolls games were Daggerfall and Morrowind.

>Alinor is the capital of the Summerset Isles, and was the capital of the second and third Aldmeri Dominions.

>It was a forbidden city for almost 50 years in the late Second Era, humans only being allowed in the ports at that time. These traders described the city as made from glass or insect wings, which gives the city a beauty that, by any account, would easily rival that of any found on the mainland. Imperial emissaries of the Reman Dynasty described the city as straight and glimmering, a hypnotic swirl of ramparts and impossibly high towers, designed to catch the light of the sun and break it to its component colors, which lies draped across its stones until you are thankful for nightfall.

You can only hope

Wherever it is, it's gonna be shit.

A better question would be, where do you guys want the next province mod for Morrowind to be set?

Was he really corrupted by heart?
Or was he killed by tribunal and Nerevar while not using it's power yet and resurrected latter?

I remember that there was a few versions of what happened at Red Mountain, and I thing that in one Dagoth did nothing wrong and still was killed.

Nosgoth
Er.. I mean, Hammerfell. I want to be a king and shit. Plus, didn't Redguards have cool and weird stuff going on?

Dagoth Ur

>I remember that there was a few versions of what happened at Red Mountain
All of them true