Tier list

Where do you rate other tabletop gamers? We have a huge mix of different groups here and it would be interesting to see how the current stereotypes and tiers look.

>Card game players (Yugioh, Magic, Netrunner)

>Wargamers (Warhammer, Infinity, Warmachine

>Roleplayers (D&D, Path finder, WoD)

>LARPERs (Foam swords, beanbags, cardboard armour)

>Board gamers (Risk, Settlers)

>Historical gamers (Only play historic games, usually custom systems to represent their pet era)

>Modelers (people who don't play any games just build models, military, fantasy or sci fi)

>Lore whores (only read novels, wikis and rulebooks for the fluff)

Which do you consider yourself to be as your primary tabletop interaction? How long have you been into the hobby?

I do a little of all of them, got into Warhams, Mtg, and D&D over the course of a year or two about 14-15 years ago, so Pathfinder didn't exist, neither did warmahordes afaik. Gf wants to try larping, so do I, but all the communities we've seen for It around here have been off-putting. I get super into the lore of everything, I miss when the Warhammer 40k fandom was still self aware about the satirical nature of the lore, and Mtg lore was centered around Dominaria, before the whole "new plane with 2-3 more planeswalkers every block" crap. I feel old now.

Best tier
>Historical Gamers
>Lore whores

Okay Tier
>Roleplayers
>LARPers

Shit tier
>Wargamers
>Card game players

Why are you even here other then that one thread tier
>Modelers
>Board gamers

Alright, talking Stereotypes here. Gross overly simplified stereotypes.

Card Games: Autists/Cool nerds. People who gravitated towards CCGs but believe themselves too normy RPG or mini-game.

Wargamers: This depends on the game but at worst, autists. GW games attract nice, but dumb players who love models and minis and hate money. Warmachine attracts hyper autists who need to be great at the game and Infinity attracts fans of tactical shooting games and military fanboys who were burned by GW.

Roleplayers: Pussies and autists who can't stand people disagreeing with them or obstructing their path. Roleplaying gamers who steer directly away from other games in my experience usually just want an outlet for a power fantasy of some sort. They can't Wargame because that might include losing. They tend to freak out when bad things happen to their characters.

LARPERs: Depends. Either maximum autist neckbeard or minimum. Maxo-beard rules lawyers who treat the LARP as his own little kingdom. The worst kind of nerd. Alternatively you get more physically minded players who love RPGs and stories, but for some reason see little fun in sitting around rolling dice (they also probably love sword fighting.)

Board Gamers: Entry level games like Risk/Monopoly played frequently means they want something MORE but aren't even sure what. Harder boardgames Catan(yuck), Ticket 2 Ride, Arkham Horror, Cosmic Encounter, etc usually signifies a practical minded gamer who isn't willing to put in prep time for other sorts of tabletop games, but wants to be able to have a great night with friends.

Historical Gamers: Haven't met any. I'm, not convinced they exist.a

Modelers: Every modeler I know also plays the game their models are for.

LoreWhores: also usually engage in another aspect.

Again this is a gross oversimplification, and me only talking about my own bad experiences.

I consider myself a Roleplayer, a Lore lover, and a Wargamer. Though we play boardgames in my group too.

Top tier
>historical gamers
>modelers

Middle tier
>wargamers
>board game players
>lore whores

Low tier
>roleplayers
>larpers
>card game players

>Do what you want just have fun
Almost everything
>Dislike
GW fanboys- but hey have fun
>....what are you doing? Do you need to see a DR?
LARPers

>Which do you consider yourself to be as your primary tabletop interaction?
Card game player (Magic)
>How long have you been into the hobby?
Played as a kid, then got back into it a few years ago.
>Where do you rate other tabletop gamers?
I don't really care what other people are doing as long as they let me do my thing. Wargamers, roleplayers, and board gamers make the most sense to me, but if you want to LARP or model, then go for it.

All of them except LARPERs.

If you have a narrow taste you should honestly kill yourself. Good games are good games for everyone.

If you "can't get into it", it just means you are retarded.

>people with non-tabletop hobbies and limited time should just kill themselves
Edgy.

Autism tier
>Wargamers
>Roleplayers
>Historical gamers

Cancer tier
>Card game players
>Board gamers
>Lore whores

Retarded tier
>LARPERs
>Modelers

>all this hate for LARPers

What's wrong with wanting to have a physicaly fit fantasy hobby?

Accurate.
/thread

Reminder that without card games, you don't get to have a store.

Spending hours dancing around trees and jumping into bushes pretending to be magical seems a bit childish...but what ever do what you want as long as your not a danger to yourself or others.

>playing without danger

Fucking numales I swear

I have only met Roleplayers and one Neckbead that did all of the mentioned activities

Most of the roleplayers i met are nice people, have jobs, wives and some other things of well adjusted people, just like 2 o 3 dudes where turbo autists about losing or just immature overall, i sometimes ask myself how a campaign with successful people would go

and for the neckbeard he had a job,a wife and three kids, but he had a mini collection of 1000+ pieces, lots and lots of games, he only drank coca cola(yep he is a fat piece of shit), but i think he was very professional with his games

LARPers have always been the furries of tabletop hobbies. They take all the fun and adventure of a fantasy story and make it foam swords and bean bag throwing.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume that a lot of Veeky Forums may fall into multiple categories.

I know I do myself and so do all the other tabletop people I know irl.

I play Magic (EDH only), a few wargames (the last year only Infinity, though), and roleplay. Our group is on a bit of an RPG hiatus for now and I've flat out rejected any invite to a new game for the time being. I have been in at minimum one game, often more (up to a max of I think four at once) constantly without a stop for the last three years. I am sick of RPGs, honestly, and having all my weekends scheduled up with them.

I've played normie board games since I was a child and was collecting Pokemon cards in 1998 if that counts as "getting into the hobby". Started playing Magic in 2007, but I don't consider myself as having truly broken into tabletop gaming as a hobby or becoming part of the community until 2010. That's when I branched out and got into miniatures and RPGs. Before that I was really only on the periphery of it all for years. That's also when I started browsing.

>started browsing...
When I started browsing Veeky Forums. I've been a regular on Veeky Forums since 2006.

OBJECTIVELY FACTUAL OPINIONS INCOMING:

Best tier:
>anyone who has fun by making games with them fun

Shit tier:
>anyone who has fun by making games with them unfun

Normal tier:
>anyone who has fun but doesn't really impact other people's fun

>God tier
Wargamers (Counters)
Historical gamers

>Great tier
Board gamers
Roleplayers

>OK tier
Larpers
Wargamers (Minis)

>Shit tier
Lore Whores
Modelers
Card game players

>Bro tier
For Fun Card game players
Roleplayers
Board gamers
>friendly but creepy tier
War gamers
LARPS
Lore Whores
>Annoying tier
Modelers
Competitive Card Game players
>60 year old man tier
Historical gamers

ok satan why don't they sell cards at my GW store?

>Fantasy
Stop with that toxic shit hurting the hobby, get over yourself you whiny entitled manchild and play age of sigmar already like any well adjusted individual would.

What, no Warhammer conquest?
No unit cards or objective cards?
No cards for magic?
What a paltry little cupboard of a store.

>my GW store
There's your answer.

When was the last time that you saw a successful independent LGS that didn't cater heavily to TCGs? It's the bread and butter of most stores.

idk I don't go to those places I have my own table and mostly play at home but I go to the gw to try new stuff out and tournament
> Warhammer conquest
I'm sure they sell it but I haven't seen any in this store nor any one playing it
>No unit cards or objective cards
pretty sure 8th is fazing these out or at least i haven't seen the new ones
>No cards for magic?
I think this practice is also going because no one wants to buy something that's already in the book.
>What a paltry little cupboard of a store.
yeah its not huge normally around 3-6 people there at any given time except Fridays and Saturdays then its like 12-15.

Well then you can either trust me on this or read up on it, but even people who open up a store wanting to focus on something that isn't tcgs (e.g. board games) will definitely include and cater to tcgs if they don't want to quickly shut down. The product turnover rate and repeat business isn't something to be ignored.

>LARPers
>America
>fit

40k and TCGs keep game stores alive and these days most people buy 40k online. Drafts are the ultimate money maker and they're the most popular Magic format for Friday night magic

>Card game players (Yugioh, Magic, Netrunner)
They are kind of tarnished by the worst in their community. In general you just get a spectrum of good and shitty people. I've never played a card game and been actively laughing due to the game.

>Wargamers (Warhammer, Infinity, Warmachine)
I am a wargamer, so... It's a bit biased. Some wargames bring out complete autists: malifaux and 40k seem to in my area. But in general I like them all, including the autists. Because I share their hobby, and if they love it, I tend to like them.

>Roleplayers (D&D, Path finder, WoD), LARPERs (Foam swords, beanbags, cardboard armour)
Eh, couldn't care, they're not slightly related to my hobby.

>Board gamers (Risk, Settlers)
You get a few different types, the people who love the game, and the people who love catching up with friends over a game. Both are cool.

>Historical gamers (Only play historic games, usually custom systems to represent their pet era)
Oh man, do not bring the wrong chasis of Panzer 3 to an early war tournament... Fucking shitshow. I got a few mid war tanks really cheaply, and converted them to be early war, but they were apparently too different to be acceptable, and had people fucking shouting over 4 15mm tanks in my army... Yeah.

>Modelers (people who don't play any games just build models, military, fantasy or sci fi)
Eh, you do you baby.
>Lore whores (only read novels, wikis and rulebooks for the fluff)
Cool, as long as they don't act as gatekeepers.

Includes Vampire LARP and everything else is just an excuse to beat people with foam swords and not roleplay unless it's a sex thing I don't know about.

Been into TTRPGs since 1995, TCGs since 2000, Wargaming/Historical games since 2006, Board gaming since I was 4 years years old. These days I don't get many opportunities to do more than FNM/twice weekly D&D sessions. Most of my historical wargaming buddies moved away and I'm not touching Warhammer or anything similar.

Never touched LARPing or invested much into lore. I find it hard to believe modelers exist at least for a long time, sooner or later they'll pick up a a system and start wargaming.

Honest truth is that there are bad people in every community, and good people too. I could talk about the 300 pound neckbeard spacewolf player who never showered and tried to cheat all the damn time and say 40k is terrible, but hat would be ignoring the good people i've met playing that game. I could mention the dude I saw show up to play dnd in a lacey black ojou-sama dress and parasol and say roleplayers are freaks, but that would be ignoring all the bro's i've played role playing games with. I could mention the sweaty crack head looking guy who started screaming at me when i beat him at a draft, but that would be ignoring the guy who got me into magic and who i owed my sanity while i was living in taiwan. There are good and bad people in all gaming communities. All that matters is that you yourself try to be good, and surround yourself with the good people.

Fuck off faggot. We're discussing community tiers and our experiences. Take your special snowflake muh NAXALT bullshit and scram.

Vampire LARPs are infamous for being goths pretending to get laid and just creepy out everyone in the hotels that host them

ITT: We glorify our own corner of the hobby while slinging insults at the others we don't like.

This would be perfect if only the smug anime face was on the bottom of the pyramid.

Why is there 40k models AND FB models on the table?

>Tier 1: Interesting People
-Boardgamers (heavy/challenging games, e.g. Twilight Struggle)
-Historical gamers
-Wargamers (challenging)
-Roleplayers (literary)

>Tier 2: Nerds
-Boardgamers (mid-tier, e.g. Cosmic Encounter)
-Roleplayers (not literary)
-Wargamers (GW etc.)
-Cardgamers (competitive)

>Tier 3: Mainstream People
-Boardgamers (normie)
-Cardgamers (casual)

>Tier 4: Infantilized People
-LARPers
-Roleplayers (SJWs, furries, neo-Nazis)

>Tier X: Variable
-Modelers
-Lorebeasts

Most accurate post ITT

>shitposting loudly

Yeah, no.
Warhammer Conquest is gone after the rights change.
For the others, you said card games, not just cards. How about we include making little card men too, and little card tables, maybe a card house too. Does that count?

>greentexting things are only happening in your head
I saw a post I thought was accurate, I quoted it. I guess if you disagree you can call it shitposting.

Card Gamers are the laziest and least imaginative people i know, so:

Top tier
>Modelers/painters
>Wargammers
Mid Tier
>Board Gamers
>Lore Whore
>RPG
Shit Tier
>Card Gamers
>Historical
Autistic Tier
>LARPERS

>Hardcore tier
-Historical wargamers
-Long-term GW players (we're talking 20+ years)

>Impressive tier
-Warmahordes players
-Modelers

>Meh tier
-Roleplayers
-LARPers

>Shit tier
-Board gamers esp. Euro boardgames

>Beyond shit tier
-Collectible card gamers
-Lore whores
-Annoying tag-along girlfriends

Search your feelings, you know it to be true.

>-Annoying tag-along girlfriends
what about annoying tag along wives??

No such thing, they're normally too busy banging Chad to care when hubby is off playing his games

Battletech comes in the following flavors:
>Bro tier (Keeps up to date)
>Lost at sea tier (My group disbanded in 1992 and I've made no effort to play anything since but MAN I LOVE BATTLETECH)
>Never learned the rules properly tier (In MY group we used the OLD rules that we totally didn't houserule and misread to oblivion, so I'm going to get upset whenever I start losing and claim the new rulebook is shit)

Wargamers:
hex and chit
>Grumpy Grandpa or Cool Grandpa, but always grandpa.
Miniatures gamers - big variation
>cool dude who shares the hobby but in a slightly different vein
>Territorial tier - usually if they're in the 40K knockoff style minis games (WM, Inf, etc), who spends their entire time in the game store talking shit about your game/minis because YOU'RE using up one of THEIR tables.
>40K players - though they shitpost like crazy on Veeky Forums, usually pretty decent folk IRL if they don't game in GW.

Card gamers (CCG):
>Children
>Pungent Aspie
>Hypercompetitive nerd
>Casual player (extinct?)

Roleplayer
>D&D and NOT! D&D
>Other (unicorn)
>Groups vary dramatically and out of the public eye. Can go any way.

Boardgamers
>similar to RPG'ers in that the group can make the experience vary wildly, but it's rarely the same game twice.
>Never seen it done outside of a con.

LARPers:
>I know you're enjoying yourselves but I feel embarassed for you guys if you're not doing this in a very isolated area tier.

Historical Gamers
>Rumored but not sure they exist discounting FoW tier.

Lore whores
>This is a thing? tier

Modelers
>My wife isn't embarrassed to talk about my hobbies to her friends tier.

My two cents:
Modelers:
>just want to quietly enjoy their hobby time without a endless discussion about lore, magical realms or rules

>Pungent Aspie

10/10 lost my shit until my wife had to come in and thump me on the back

>LARPers are okay, and people who play difficult boardgames suck

Found the insecure idiot

this is just a chart of money extracted versus store interaction invested with smelliness factored in

Grognard Tier
>Historical Gamers
>Lore Whores
>Modelers

Autist Tier
>Wargamers

Still living with mum tier.
>Roleplayers

Casual Tier
>Boardgamers

Syphilis Tier
>LARPERs

>Cancer Tier
Card game players

>Modelers
>My wife isn't embarrassed to talk about my hobbies to her friends tier.

Oh god, a friend of mine went to a party at her friends house, her friend got drunk and showed them all her husbands models, where he'd individually highlighted the pubes on naked female miniatures. He's definitely being cucked.

I agree with the shit talk about larpers. The exercise excuse is lame too. You want to play pretend war while getting exercise, play paintball or airsoft. That's only if your able to handle interaction with somewhat normal people who don't know or care about your nerdy hobbies without reeeeeing though

best post in this thread, and yet it's totally ignored.

What do you mean by literary?

Yes, they count.

well i live in tijuana, and here playing tabletop games are not as normal as in U.S., but i really wanted to play warhammer (for the vidya and the youtube videos) so one friend of mine and i looked for a miniature store and only found one, but they played EXCLUSIBLY warmachine (we didnt like the steampunk look of warma), but let us use the table for our starter set (dark vengeance) and now we have a 5 man comunity here on our little tijuana, the only other game i played was yugiho (competitive) magic and monopoly, so i can only judge those groups, and let me tell you halve of them are cancer (specially yugiho), but the other halve are one of the most inteligent people i have never meet (only engineers and programers tend to play tabletop games here), maybe the vidya comunity is worse here, they all play dota and overwatch, such a shame my gaming group dissbanded

>where he'd individually highlighted the pubes on naked female miniatures
That's... that's a whole level of "Modeler" that I don't even consider.

I think modeler, I think "Ford Mustang" or "Mig-29". At a stretch, I think of Puramo or "Deckards' Sedan"

If pubes are part of the equation that starts to get into /jp/-tier garage-kit territory.

water is wet

I will stop by next time I fly in to tijuana, mexibro

I'll trade you two wood for you to shut the fuck up.

The joke

Your head

>Playing at a store
>Not playing with some bros in your basements
>Not having years of collected terrain and custom made boards

Since a lot of people fall into more than one category:

Board gamers: +2
Roleplayers: +1
Historical gamers: +1
Card game players +0
LARPERs +0
Modelers -1