sgiz.mobi/s3/dbadf27c707b

>5etools:
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Resources Pastebin:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previously, on /5eg/:
What's the one class you will never play and why?

>What's the one class you will never play and why?
All of them, because I am forever a DM.

Why is that dwarf sleeping in his armor?

>a warlock knows all eldritch invocations, and can switch between any they meet the requirements for upon taking a long rest.

>Does this fix the warlock?

No, but it allows for some utility thrown in with whatever else must-have never-changes invocations that you can rotate through.

Honestly, I like Warlock for the flavor invocations. Mask of Many Faces, etc, and I desperately wanna play one, but I think I'll just frustrate myself.

I haven't gotten the chance to play yet. Always the DM, never the bride, or something like that,

I will play all classes, but I wont play certain subclasses because they suck, ex:
Wot4E Monk
Berserker Barbarian
I also think healbot clerics are boring.

Kleef is from one of the books in the Sundering series.
The others:
>Crag Ungart, a shield dwarf whose keen, strategic mind makes him an efficient, but detached, leader
>Cazi Alphelandra, a wild elf, who likes to talk loudly and carry a big stick. Cazi’s giant bow, “Big Banta”, is custom-made for hunting large monsters, including dragons and giants, and she can wield it with deadly effect.
>The team of “Hook, Line, and Sinker”:
>Helena “Hook” Nostrum is the glue that binds the group together. It’s her iron resolve and leadership that keep the others focused and sharp. She’s no stranger to the destructive power of giants and has dedicated herself to knowing how to stay one step ahead of her prey.
>Lai “Line” Antolio is a master of contraptions. He’s a high-strung perfectionist, with a mind that never stops thinking about the next trap or technique. And finally, Solara “Sinker” Thann.
>She’s a paladin who has taken an oath to protect the natural order, and giants smashing the world are not part of the plan. She prefers straight-up melee combat, but is patient enough to hang back and let Lai’s traps do their work.

Per Mearls they were a team of PCs created during the art concept phase of building the SKT book, but they don't appear in the module otherwise and they have no stats. So now they're just generic model stand-ins.

>Why is that dwarf sleeping in his armor?
because he's not a fucking idiot.

Because he is a dwarf.

I'd like some thoughts on my new character idea
I'm an entirely new player, never really played D&D before or any other P&P

A Drow Monk that was found abandoned and taken back to a highly secluded kung fu school/monastery knockoff of Shaolin, with the hermit background to suit that.

OP, if you're going to jump the gun on a new thread, at least put minorities in the picture. It's common courtesy.

As for your question, I'd play anything thematically, but I don't really like managing a full caster in 5e.

If he takes it off, he'll die.

Becuase hes used to sleeping on rocks and the armor fairly comfortable by his standards

I've played everything but Warlock and Sorcerer. Might play a stone sorcerer next, but Warlock just seem boring as hell. I'll probably never play a Mystic either, not a fan of psionics

Barbarian, for being an angry fighter. Sorcerer, for being a shitty wizard. Those are the only two. The classes don't even need to exist.

dwarves are much life turtles, their spines are fused to their platemail.

>Drow
Not gonna be too harsh on you since you're new, but why specifically drow?

Cool, shame sowm of them didn't make it in

>Muh good boy drow

Don't do it, lad. Drizzt has poisoned the entire notion of PC Drow forever (unless you're playing a BDSM spider lesbian, then go for it)

Should eating a Myconid be considered an evil act?

I like Dunmer + thought Trance elf racial suited

>You forget: power points
5e has a spell point variant system. It's in the DMG.
>supernatural qualifier
Doesn't exist in 5e. No need for it.
>no need of components or incantations except for a simple thought and a line of sight.
Literally just ask your DM. Maybe replace your level 1 school feature with it. Removing components and verbal/somatic components is strong, but not at all broken as they rarely come up anways.

>And all those specific powers.
If you're asking people to write you a laundry list of spells you're being an enormous faggot. Most 3.x spells translate pretty directly in terms of level, cast time, effects, just reference existing 5e spells to tweak the numbers. Shit's easy.

Probably wizard. I mean, haven't played enough games of D&D, but for whatever reason I'm put off by Wizards.
>healbot clerics
Hoping to play a Kenku Cleric with trickery domain in an upcoming game, if it goes well I'll let y'all now

Probably Wizard. I like most of the classes and I think any class can be interesting with the right character and mindset, but wizards are a bit one dimensional. They're great at what they do, but that's it.

>trickery domain
>goes well
Pick one.

Have you ever slept in armor? It's comfy.

Warlock isn't boring, but you have to have the right mindset.
Most people who complain about the warlock think it's a wizard alternative. It isn't. It's a rogue alternative. Think about it - high DPR, low AC with escape options, and utility that does not rely on expended resources.
From that perspective, warlocks can be a lot of fun as problem-solvers and strikers. Just get used to thinking of Eldritch Blast as a basic attack.

Common misconception, but Drow aren't Dunmer. Drow are literally mostly evil and everybody hates them as a result. They are not part of the society that other races form like in TES.

>Drow Monk
>Not Wood Elf
why tho?

Not really, but it would be extremely painful.

Tell me more about Warlocks as a Rogue alternative. The only thing that comes to mind is the invisible familiar scouting up ahead.

No. They're Neutral. It COULD be an evil act, depending on how it goes down, but in a strict mechanical sense of how D&D alignment works, merely consuming myconid flesh isn't the same as channeling negative or positive energy in the "inherently aligned" sense of an action.

Well I read the player's handbook and it said that Drow are mostly evil or neutral, and most monks are Lawful Neutral so I went with that.

Like I said earlier, I like Dunmer.

Huh. I figured there would be a lot of pinching and poking.

Not a good domain to use? Figured it'd work for Kenku. Can you recommend another domain worth going? Basic thing i'm going for is that my character has basically been forced into becoming a cleric as punishment for stealing some holy relic, so if anyone can provide ideas, lemme know

Not that guy, but it's pretty simple.

The 'role' of a rogue in the party mostly deals down to two things:
>big damage, but squishy so it's not a guaranteed thing every turn
>high bonuses to skills for out of combat utility

Warlocks cover the damage portion in the form of Eldritch Blast + Hex. As for skills, while they don't get expertise or a particularly impressive skill list, between invocations and having a short rest refresh they're slots they're extremely capable of applying magic as a skill replacement in most situations.

Im working more on cultural sentience, because by rules definition a paladin can eat a lich and suffer no ill effects outside of a constitution check

Listen, don't play a drow if you're going to be wondering about above ground. You won't have fun. The group will have a guy that is mostly useless for most of the time they'll be adventuring. And you'll be that guy with a special snowflake character that doesn't do anything well enough to validate his choices other than muh specialness

>channeling negative or positive energy in the "inherently aligned" sense of an action
Neither of these are aligned. Negative energy isn't Evil, Positive energy isn't Good.

The confusion comes from certain ACTS, which are most easily performed via those actions, having an alignment. Creating undead = Evil. How do you create undead? Pump a bunch of Negative energy into them. Healing the sick = Good. How do you do that? Pump a bunch of Positive energy into them. Another source of confusion is that the Upper Planes, where all the Good people hang out, are awash in Positive energy; but so is the Feywild, and that place is full of shitters.

But you can channel Negative energy to remove deleterious afflictions or melt someone's face off with Positive energy. The fact that you're using those "elements" doesn't modify the act to be any more or less Good / Evil. Positive and Negative are no more aligned to Good or Evil than Fire or Earth.

It's not even about that. The hobby was plagued, for years, by faggots rolling up good boy Drow player characters, who by the very rule of their society, are automatically special snowflakes for shunning their culture and people to go muck around on the surface with a bunch of ibleth who hate them.

It will also automatically sour the other players' opinion of you. It's like playing a Star Wars RPG and rolling up "Duke Guywalker", a guy raised by his aunt and uncle on Scrantooine, who is actually the son of a Jedi.

Pls avoid the "good boy drow" cliche.

>Rogue
>high DPR
They do average damage at best

Go tempest. The holy relic you stole has something to do with a thunder god and you now have to be an agent of his sparky wrath.

>they're slots
fuck

Sure.
From Pact Boon, you get either a familiar, which, as you mention, is a fantastic scout (scouting being a primary function of rogues). Better than a rogue in many situations, actually, because it's sneakier and if it gets caught you don't lose a party member.
Alternatively, you can get a ritual book, which can potentially provide you with a host of solutions to problems that don't rely on expending spell slots, even if they take a bit of time to use.
And then there are invocations, which let you do everything from levitating to changing your face at will to reading all writing, all of which let you either get around having to roll to solve problems or give you advantage to various rolls.
And if you really have to, and don't anticipate combat in the next hour or two, you can cast immensely useful spells like Suggestion, Dispel Magic, Fly, Remove Curse, Dimension Door, Hallucinatory Terrain, Contact Other Plane, Dream, or Scrying, and eventually gain access to once-a-day True Seeing, Plane Shift, Demiplane, and Astral Projection.
Warlocks are fantastic problem-solvers, which rely on spell-slot management a lot less to solve problems (the majority of your spell slots will frankly be used to cast Hex). If you think of them like that, you start seeing that many of the complaints and the attempts to "fix" them are misplaced.

The only real disadvantages are attack rolls and perception checks on enemies in direct sunlight, and I'm not planning to be really social with the guy.

It's not about being ''good boy drow'' considering he's not even good, and since he was raised his whole life away from society I'm not taking some edgy story where my guy was like FUCK SOCIETY or whatever.

I feel like he's more monk than drow, I don't get the overreaction to this idea.

Theres probably alot of padding, so its like a form fitting sleeping bag

So much fucking this.

>the only real disadvantages are...
No, the real disadvantages are every single NPC assuming you're there to murder everybody and shooting you in the face. It's not a mechanical issue, it's a setting issue.

It's just a terrible Domain in general. Also, it wouldn't be much of a punishment to become a Cleric of Trickery for a kenku that is literally a trickster already. That's like being rewarded for being a faggot.

>You stole some shit and pulled pranks, have some Divine Power

It's more funny if the Kenku is forced to be the cleric of something completely fucking insane that he has NOTHING to do with, and is torn between being naturally a dick with his bird mimicry and sneakiness, and using his divine powers of curing the diseased or exploding the undead. And then being a dick with his bird mimicry.

>feeding some starving orphans
>but you snuck spicy pepper into it
>all of the orphans are glad that they're not starving but they're all sneezing and have watering eyes and it's so spicy
>CAW CAW CAW

>very single NPC assuming you're there to murder everybody and shooting you in the face.

What if I wear a mask?

The overreaction is due to a long, long history of bad players playing drow. Talk to your DM and see what he thinks. Talk to your group too and see how they feel about it.

I don't have a DM, currently LFG for roll20 or something

To be fair, would absolutely LOVE to roll a tempest cleric simply due to thunder-based shit being fun af. Will discuss with my DM

Except that's NOT how D&D works. It's always some philosophy fag who wants to shit up the mechanics and try to introduce "intention" into the scale of GOOD and EVIL.

You might not like it, but in D&D, GOOD and EVIL are tangible things. It's not like a moral dilemma where you need to wonder if things are good or evil.

Blame Gygax if you want, but negative energy is evil, regardless of what you're using for, how you use it, or the purpose of channeling.

Could you guys elaborate on using magic as an alternative to skills? I get what you guys are saying, but it seems to me that unless the Warlock player knows very well what sort of campaign it will be and the DM doesn't throw any curve balls, that using spells as a replacement of skills won't go over too well.

I love you friend, Would be very glad to have you at my table

Did they keep that for 5e? I don't remember reading anything about Inflict Wounds or other necromancy spells being evil just because the type of energy they are channeling is bad.

Ok, that's another story. I don't really know exactly how Roll20 works, but I think you can submit your character sheet to an ongoing game or to a game that's about to begin and the DM decides if it's viable or not, right? If so, submit you character to several groups and see if any of them roll with it. And emphasize the monastic aspects of your PC.

Then some of them won't care and the rest will wonder why you wear a mask. Think of real life - if you go around covering your face all day, people get suspicious.

>negative energy is evil
[citation needed]
Not sarcasm, BTW. I honestly think you're wrong and wonder where you got that impression.

>You might not like it, but in D&D, GOOD and EVIL are tangible things.

in 3e only

>Blame Gygax if you want

its a 3e only thing

Why do you shit up 5e threads with 3e alignment metaphysics?

Alignment doesn't have mechanical effects or associations on this edition

user, I'm the guy who's always in here telling people that "intention doesn't matter" and certain things have concrete associates with Good and Evil, which are tangible things.

And now I'm telling you that you're wrong, and Negative Energy is not Evil. Read that fucking post again and you'll see that I don't mention intention, only actual action. You killed someone, you healed someone, you made an undead abomination. What energy you used to do that doesn't matter.

Negative is not Evil.
Positive is not Good.
There are plenty of non-Evil spells, both Necromancy and Conjuration, which have the Negative descriptor but have completely benign or beneficial effects.
And if you pump Positive energy into someone all day long, you will fucking kill them.
Neither of these energies gives a shit about you or anything else. They are purely tools. Just because your city has a murder (Evil) problem and everyone does it with daggers doesn't mean that the concept of a short bladed weapon is Evil itself.

Yes, Moral Objectivity is a thing in Forgotten Realms.
No, Positive and Negative energies aren't aligned any way.

I have no idea how roll20 works either

>if you go around covering your face all day, people get suspicious.

Perhaps some sort of religious headwear, a helmet or turban covering the face or something?

The way you describe Positive/Negative energy makes it sound more like the name is a function of math rather than a function of morality

They are simply named after their respective planes. Positive energy derives from the positive plane.

It's one of my favorite changes from 3.5e (never played 4e)

He's not wrong, but you're not exactly wrong either.

Negative Energy and Positive Energy have always been explicitly Evil and Good. However, things changed a little bit in 4E and have remained changed in 5E.

The main "example" is Clerics. Clerics used to channel either positive or negative energy, but this was problematic for the reasons you mentioned.

They sidestepped this issue by changing it to Radiant/Necrotic energy, which are not aligned. They did not however, remove the Negative or Positive energy planes.

"Evil" in D&D was literally and figuratively "negative energy". The problem comes with the English language, where people apply two different meanings to the same word.

Frankly, the very notion that any action in and of itself is evil is absolutely insane and opens up an entire can of worms about muh cultural morals, and "do Orcs see themselves as the bad guys", which is why Alignment should be gutted entirely.

>Alignment doesn't have mechanical effects or associations

Except it does.

There are spells and items that affect and/or require specific alignments.

You don't have bare flesh or even something like a t-shirt or sweatpants between you and the metal of your armor. There's much thicker padding.
Since it conforms to your body, there's also no problems with rolling around in your sleep and getting your clothes bunched or snagged under you, which is why people sleep naked.
Its rigidity also prevents you from crushing your limbs if you lay on your side; think of how obnoxious it is to be putting all of your weight on one arm and shoulder half the time. That's just not a concern in plate armor, which is like a little shell keeping you from squishing yourself.
The added size and bulk of your greaves keeps your knees from touching and holds the legs slightly apart, which is better for your spinal alignment and fends off certain back issues and promotes restfulness. People sleep with pillows between their knees for exactly this reason.
And since you're self-contained, warm, and internally padded, you can sleep on hard surfaces instead of piling up the blankets and sleeping bags to make a plush mattress that you sink into. Lying on a hard flat floor is also better for your body's natural spine and bone alignment.
Stepping back from the physical, imagine the mental state of someone sleeping out innawoods. Any number of bandits or evil creatures or monstrous beings could be sneaking up to murder them in the night. Maybe you'll hear 'em and wake up first, but oh no--you're not wearing your armor. Do you sleep safer and sounder knowing there's a gun under your pillow or in your nightstand and all the doors are locked? So does the man sleeping in his armor.

So that Dwarf is having the safest, warmest, comfiest, most musculo-skeletally restorative sleep out of everyone in the party.
If the DM cared one lick about realism, he'd give that guy bonus Exhaustion level reductions or some temporary HP upon waking up.

>Negative Energy and Positive Energy have always been explicitly Evil and Good.
Explicitly stated to be that by who?
Where?

>alignment doesn't have mechanical effe-

The same can be said for skills ("you gotta know what to have proficiency in...")
The warlock and the rogue both build an arsenal of problem-solving tools. In the rogue's case, it's a variety of social and infiltration skills and tools. In the warlock's, it's a familiar and invocations like Mask of Many Faces and Beast Speech.

Let's look at the two classes solving common problems:
1. Convincing a guard to let you into the city
Rogue: I roll persuasion. If that doesn't work, I roll stealth and athletics to climb the walls without him noticing.
Warlock: I make myself look like a member of the guard, avoiding a roll or gaining advantage on deception. If that doesn't work, I use at-will levitate to get past the wall while my familiar distracts the guard.
2. Locating a villain's lair
Rogue: I gather intelligence using persuasion and deception checks and following people around using stealth. I pickpocket some coins and use them as bribes.
Warlock: I use Beast Speech to ask the local rats where people go who wear the villain's insignia.
3. Getting past an apparent dead end
Rogue: I use investigation to try and find a secret door. If there is one and it's trapped or locked, I use my thieves' tools to get around those obstacles.
Warlock: I use my ability to see in the darkness and through invisibility to notice things that would otherwise be hidden, like invisible switches. Failing that, I use my at-will detect magic to spot any magical protections that might reveal the location of whatever they're protecting.

The trick is, problems are endless and your toolkit is limited, so you learn to use what you have in creative ways. This is true for both rogues and warlocks, and different from wizards or bards who may have dozens of spells but have to prepare the right ones and have sufficient slots left to cast them.

barbarian is more mechanically interesting than the fighter though. just refluff rage as a kind of battle focus and play it like a normal fighter.

>more like the name is a function of math rather than a function of morality
Because it's not a function of morality. That's the whole point of the post! They have nothing to do with your morals.

When the universe sat down in FR and wrote down that A, B, and C are varying amounts of Good, and X, Y, and Z are varying amounts of Evil, at no time did they ever put "Positive energy" or "Negative energy" on their list.

>murdering someone is bad
>healing someone is good

>someone is deathly ill and wants to be killed but you hate them so you keep healing them

Martial Trance

Warlock magic isn't a 1:1 replacement for skills. It provides comparable amount of utility, just sometimes in different places.
>devil's sight + invisibility for scouting
>levitation to climb
>speak with animals and disguise self at-will
>Friends/Charm Person for social situations
>ritual book opens up all sorts of fun

If you've got a warlock and a rogue they'll probably be good at different things, but the warlock is much more like a roguish skillmonkey than it is like the wizard.

But paladins can cure disease

Ilmater and Kossuth see your suffering as a noble act in pursuit of perfection.

>FR

Dropped.

5E is a mechanical system, not a setting. Let's stay objective here.

Can you D&D faggots fuck off already?

FR is o b j e c t i v e l y the default setting of 5E and the one which most people are familiar with.

>helmet/turban/whatever
Sure, but at some point you'll be expected to take it off to greet an important person, and then (in most settings) you'll get shot.
I'm not trying to get in your way here, just letting you know that playing drow in most campaigns is an enormous social hindrance, and you should absolutely not do it without talking to your DM first. And since you're looking for a DM online, it would be a lot easier to find one with literally any other race.
[/spoiler]Also, drow are elves, and therefore usually chaotic, not lawful.[/spoiler]

NiggerOP seems to have picked up a new trick

Should a 5e monster have fast healing? How would you word it to be different from regeneration? "This ability stops functioning once the monster reaches 0 hit points"? How best to word it? Also has anyone else tried converting monsters from 3.5 to 5e? I'm still trying to fix pic related, not sure what the CR should be.

Whats the viability of a level 12 human character with 1 level in each class

There are some catch-all skills, though, that I don't think a lower level spell can even compare.

Perception, for instance, is incredible to have expertise in. You'll probably use that all game long repeatedly. Granted, I might have chosen a front-loaded skill to illustrate my point, but that's because I'm not too smart.

But anyway, thank you for opening up a different way to play Warlocks to me. If I ever get to play, I might roll one and try that out.

>always been explicitly...
Once again, citation needed. As far as I can tell, this is an invention of 3.5 (not even 3e).
And you'll note that the positive and negative energy planes are explicitly NOT aligned in 4e. The Shadowfell will kill you because that's what negative energy does, not because it's evil. And the Feywild will still probably kill you because everyone is so doped up on positive energy that they're insane in the membrane.

In your hypothetical scenario wouldn't I have already done something to earn the meeting with the noble or whatever that would cause him to be like ''chill out lol'' to his guards

If you do that, you must name your character Jack

How can I turn pic related into a big ass mountain of a monster?

Buff up a gibbering mouther

Appearance is not a mechanical effect. Nice try though.

I hate that it's true, but it's true.

Warlocks DO get a few skill slots, to be fair, even if they don't get as many bonuses as rogues. And backgrounds can add even more.
Have fun warlocking in the future!

You'd think that. But in most settings, drow are so feared that the mere sight of one might cause the important person to be like "oh shit it was all a ruse to get close to me! D:"
Of course exceptions exist. But they often require 2.5 trilogies to justify, and people still view them suspiciously.

How can the most people be familiar with forgettable realms, when by definition, they forget about it?

>2.5 trilogies
is this a drizzt reference
I only know some shit through like secondary pop-culture

Forgotten Realms does not refer to the current realms everyone plays in, but the oodles of past civilizations which rose, flourished, and fell over the setting's ridiculously long and detailed history, the ruins (generally more than one) of which the current civilizations are built upon.

He was talking about the Radiant/Necrotic damage based on alignment, not the appearance of the guardians, pretty sure.

>is this a drizzt reference
Duh

Apparently I can't read. :/

Are you sure? I can't remember a single thing about the realms besides there's some mary sue dark elf wandering around in them.

Does your teacher give points for not paying attention? Why would we?

wut about baldur's gate
pretty good game/place if you ask me

>Wandering around
>Not living in a cave as a NEET with oneitis for a redhead he met as a child

Yeah, I played through it, but all I remember about it is the twist. You're a god or something