mega.nz/#F!z4wmmJyR!jTfwLczhdFjV0q6nowtGag!qgZhmAhK

>40k rules reference in wiki format:
sites.google.com/site/wh40000rules/

>Latest GW teases:
warhammer-community.com/warhammer-40000/

>Latest GW FAQs:
games-workshop.com/en-JP/Rules-Errata

>WIP Math-hammer doc
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1h0hk_IdJ7fivDEjMiIpKM5yMMB8HTm64lZHuKdLZCIU/edit?usp=sharing

Other urls found in this thread:

dropbox.com/sh/16rftxw95qq06tk/AABCXAE3BVNls3GJaCpX_Kdaa?dl=0
trademe.co.nz/a.aspx?id=1344969676
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Point values are all over the place and things are worse than 7th!

>yfw the greatest warriors in the galaxy get bumfucked by a bunch of chumps who barely know how to fire their guns pressed into service as literal cannon fodder

If you play power level you don't have to worry about points.

So, are missile launchers as bad as they look? A worse Lascannon with an alternative firing mode that kills an average of one guardsman?

gommunist pls

people actually think this way non-ironically

So between Mek Gunz and Ork Flyers, which is better to look toward as far as clearing hordes goes?

Hey guys, is their an 8th edition list builder yet that has orks?

Ork Flyers, because you can use them to snipe characters, and they have much higher damage output for their points.

Everyone talks about ork assaults, but what about shooty armies?

R8 my competitive list anons

I doubt you could beat it

Grey Knight Vanguard Detachment

-Grand Master Voldus, 190

-Paladin Ancient, 142
+Nemesis Falchion, 0

-Apothecary, 92
+Nemesis Warding Stave, 0

-Paladins, 275
+4 Nemesis Force Halberd, 0
+1 Daemon Hammer, 13

-Land Raider Crusader, 244
+Twin Assault Cannon, 35
+Hurricane Bolterx2, 8

Total, 999

How shitty is it

venomthropes give pretty much everything walking on two legs more survivability

yes its called a piece of fucking paper and a calculator

I made a quick thing for AS and AM

Since I doubt anyone will make something decent for those in short notice

/thread

I'm not able to write with my hands.

They exist. In fact, it's an entry on this extremely awesome Tech-priest generator someone pointed me to.

>Corpus Gloriosa: The Tech-Priest's body is a thing of aesthetic perfection, whether constructed with the devotion of a renowned artisan or gene-sculpted into a vision of corporeal perfection. Very useful for dealing with those outside the Cult Mechanicus, who set more store in appearances.

Some are more normal.
I mean, the Archmagos Genetor for my army is a horrible spiderlike abomination when he goes to war and the Secutarii Axiarch is covered in nerve sockets and Titanshard armour, but the Magos Reductor is basically a normal tall guy in a robe with a mechadendrite harness that locks into a single small pair of ports midway up the spine. He takes them off and dons normal clothes, he's somewhat handsome but forgettable. He commands the Mechanicum ships, so he doesn't fight much personally, and occasionally has to do some talking if the Archmagos got blown to bits again and needs to build a new body.

Same with the Titan Legion planetary liason in Titanicus, he's a standard dude but with a slight green flicker in his eyes as data is displayed to him.

If you play power level your games will be even more off and you won't be able to take fluffly chaos lists where your unit sizes reflect your god's magic number without leaving power you pay for out of your list.

Make one in excel.

Use your mouth or toes instead then.

>things are worse than 7th!

Not really, its b8 I know but 7th ended up becoming Apocalypse with shit that just erased whole units and superheavies out the ass. Sure we still have superheavies out the ass but the new points system makes armies much smaller and the new AP system makes sure you're not erasing or denying whole units at a time while making the morale system actually mean something.

Armor saves actually matter even if the majority of units will have a 4+ or 6+ most of the time.

That's about twice the number of guardsmen a Lascannon kills.

/thread

Can someone explain GSC to me? am i doing it wrong? had my first couple games with them today, and they seemed pretty weak. we played about 1250 pts, fought Guard and Tau

>Cult Ambush gimped as fuck, nothing arrives closer than 9
>Praying for a 5+ more than ever, on ONE dice you're fucked
>No return to the shadows, get a shit roll? fuck you.
>No healing units
>Abberants are paper thin now
>HQ's just awkwardly stand back at their unit charges in in front of them
>basically everything is praying for a 9 inch charge

Am i doing the reserves thing wrong? is it true i can only have half my force arrive via 'deep strike'? if so that fucks with existing armies, nothing but our vehicles want to deploy normally

Making us a 'you need formations to even play lol' and then taking all the bonuses given to us in 7th really pulled the rug out from under GSC. Is this the edition where you shelf these fuckers and play Nids instead?

Has the four-armed Emperor forsaken me

Grand Overtoaster, stop meming

You should buy 500 Conscripts.

Remember you can use a command point to reroll a dice so when you roll one shitty dice on your charge and one good one then use a point to reroll the shitty dice to make your charges. Other than that I have no idea. I don't play your army.

>the new points system makes armies much smaller
lmao

Points values are a bit wonky, it's still miles ahead of 7th but I think '2 years of game testing' may be GW telling us some porkies.

I did use that, but fighting shooty armies still hurt, felt more painful than 7th ever did

Tau Overwatch is still brutal as hell, i'd argue more so feels like it was never this punishing. And getting a 5+ save versus pulse guns doesn't help much when a 5+ is worth jack shit on a 1 wound t3 model

Wow, and here I was exited to run my Steel Legion guys with Grenade Launchers and Missile Launchers.

Take a detachment of Nids or AM to shore up your weaknesses

And you won't get T1 charges like you used to, gonna have to let those go.

thankyou for restoring my faith in this community

Math, thou art a cruel bitch.

price per point (on the cheapest carrier) when

Have you tried running familiars for using Mass Hypnosis and Might from beyond?

>Always liked 40k
>Saw that 8th edition was coming out
>watched miniwargaming's battle report videos
>start researching what I want to play/buy
>Head to my local GW store, buy a start collecting box and paints
>Head home, super excited
>Open the box
>Spend 6 hours assembling one infantry unit, joy slowly draining from me
>Try to paint using the techniques I saw in all the youtube guides
>looks terrible, took forever, only one painted so far
The 2k point list i'm trying to work towards would require like months and months of work just to get assembled + painted. I love the 40k fluff, strategic elements of picking an army, faction variety, gameplay, and mathhammer stuff but holy fuck do I now realize I hate assembling/painting. I'm honestly considering just going through one of the companies that will assemble/paint for you. Do you all love to assemble + paint? Does anyone else hate/merely tolerate it because they just like the game itself?

Assembling and painting is my favorite part of the hobby.

>going through old army books one day
>find lists more than a decade old on lined paper

Truely.

And GW not giving you a full lasgun team.

At least the MBT Russ looks playable.

Don't you guys have those kickass not-lascannons? Couldn't you provide you guys cover fire that way? Could you take a tyranid allied patrol that focuses on shooting and has a mawloc? I know I'm throwing shit out there, but I play Eldar, Necrons, and Blood Angels. I got nothing except I'm hoping to lay in some serious shooting with my tanks and twin autocannon dread so the overwatch doesn't hurt as much. Also I'm thinking that just becasue I can "first turn deep strike and charge" doesn't mean I always should. Maybe you shouldn't either.

Use vehicles, take advantage of the scout sentinels absurd threat range turn 1, dpnt be afraid to plant neophytes with mining lasers and grenade launchers either in a truck or a truck for some decent shooting. I've had good results so far, my chimaeras took a surprising amount if punishment, and pairs of mining lasers do good work.

Yeah i'm not trashing people who like that aspect of it, it's just not me. I have more fun making metrics in excel than I do assembling/painting stuff.

Force multipliers turn Russes from mediocre and tanky into destroyers of innocence.

Christy Brown plays 40k?

>Philosophy – Roll 1d100
01-20 Ultra-Orthodox: The Tech-Priest is a fanatical adherent to the 16 Universal Laws of the Omnissiah and treats Adeptus Mechanicus Dogma as inerrant and unbreakable. Such an individual would never even study an item of xenos technology or the plans for an A.I., much less build or operate one.
21-50 Orthodox: The Tech-Priest abides rigidly by the 16 Universal Laws and expresses proper disdain for the workings of xenos and the abomination of thinking machines, but may not entirely agree with some less central doctrines and prohibitions.
51-70 Moderate: The Tech-Priest abides by the 16 Universal Laws, and may reject some minor or particularly obstructive dogmas of the Cult Mechanicus. While they would never dabble in xenos technology or AI, they may study such things in order to better learn to combat them.
71-90 Heterodox: The Tech-Priest's beliefs and practises differ from the norms of the Cult Mechanicus, to the point where they may reject such core tenets as the abomination of alien technology. However, if their experiments are non-disruptive or even beneficial, all but very Orthodox Tech-Priests are liable to give the benefit of the doubt... for a while, at least.
91-100 Heretical: The Tech-Priest rejects Mechanicus dogma to the point where they may reject one or more of the 16 Universal Laws. They may frequently dabble in alien technology, AI, reanimation of the dead, Daemonic technology, or they may embrace evil philosophies such as Progress and Innovation.

Gee I wonder where Cawl fits....

>Cult Ambush gimped as fuck, nothing arrives closer than 9
Not really. A 6 let's you fully move, so the charge is pretty much guaranteed. 5 gets you a D6 move which usually is enough to get you the charge. The average of 3d6 is 10.5. you need to MSU them ro a certain degree to get enough 5+ results. Also don't forget that Primus and your command point re-roll.

You have unquestioning loyalty, you can afford to be a lot more aggressive with your character positioning. Why are you holding your characters at the back?

Would you mind sharing that file?

Playing > assembling > painting for me. I suspect he is in the same boat. I didn't really like modeling at all until I started kit bashing cool blood angels with jump packs for shit like captains, librarians, chaplains, command squads (RIP) and so on.

Man i hate doing that. never liked allies and i didn't like the 'crutch' of needing my GSC to have a shot at winning with my Tyranids, so i went full Stealer cult

Well, any idea what Tyranid units help stealers in 8th? i guess a Mawloc or Trygon would be nice
I am lacking on mining lasers, i might get the Goliath truck with the heavy laser, it's a nice model

So when selling off an army would you prefer to split it up into sensible bits (individual units or at least similar units) or just keep it all bundled together?

I'm looking at selling off my Tau and before you jump me this is an army I started when the blue slot-heads first released. I don't even own a riptide or stormsurge. They're mostly unpainted as my focus always remained with my Chaos minis and it seems silly to keep them when they've been sitting around in boxes for so long. I like their look, but I know I'm never going to get around to them.

Overwatch is pretty much objectively worse.

Also, hypnosis buddy. And Neophyte Flamer Shotgun Squads. Drop in 9", advance, and light em up.

Got my $35 Voidraven in today. She's mostly looking pretty good. There's a quick spray coat on it (which makes me want to drop the dosh on an airgun fuck), though the underside is still white. Unfortunately, the guy didn't file down the sprue connections before painting, so I gotta do that and hope I can match the color. Seriously, who owns an airgun and doesn't smooth out the edges before painting? On that note, he also so rested the canopy, so I gotta decide how to handle that.

All the weapons are magnetized including the bomb. Unfortunately, this dude couldn't into magnets. They're not straight. Hell, they're not even drilled, though that makes fixing them that much easier.

All in all, not bad for $35.

I'd bet on 101+.

>Spend 6 hours assembling one infantry unit, joy slowly draining from me
I wanna ask how but I don't wanna know.
>Try to paint using the techniques I saw in all the youtube guides
>looks terrible, took forever, only one painted so far
Your first mini is ALWAYS going to look like shit. You'll improve over time. Even Duncan's first mini looked fucking awful. Pic very related.

No if only find the damn MBT bit so I could switch it out with the Vanquisher bit I have on now. Until Forge World makes them good again.

Can Russes still be okay without sponsons?

The only part of the hobby I engage in is theorycrafting because I've got two unassembled partially painted models and ton of paints, brushers, and sprues.

I've got dysgraphea.

Do chimeras still work well in 8th? I've been hesitant about including them.

You can't move or advance after most deep strikes. Is that a GSC thing?

I only got one 6 and my abberents were blown apart by Tau fire. He had a stack of Fire-warriors and 2 broadsides all near each other
Can you advance after setting up via ambush? i thought it ate all movement. Or do you just mean get into position for the next turn?

Take stealers. Nid stealers are identical to Purestrains but cost 8 points les per model.

I've been out of the loop for a bit and have a couple of questions that have probably been answered a dozen times before, but could someone tell me exactly how flying has changed from 7th and how the Swarmlord's ability works? I'm trying to get back into Tyranids, but don't know if I should be using a flyrant anymore.

>Yfw da stoopidist panzees get krumped by some right 'uge Boyz
Git Green'd ya gitz.

When I first started playing I was eager to get onto the tabletop so I assembled and painted terribly creating a complete mess of an army. Now, years later, I'm getting back into it for 8th like you are but I'm focusing more on the hobby side of it. There's nothing wrong with not enjoying the hands on side of things, but it's good to make a good go at it now as you might change your mind later in the hobby.

I spent 5 hours painting one Space Marine today.

Neither? Big Gunz, I take 6 Lobbas, 6d6 S5 hits is pretty alright.

This reminds me of a story at our last tournament.

>tourney rules quite clearly state you must either write-out or print-out your army list
>10 year old, owns two smart phones, ipad
>puts his three Dreadknight GK army on board
>tournament is only 2k yet has 3 Dreadknights
>his first match is me
>im suspicious
>hey can i see your list
>LOL NO FAGGOT
>actually shouted faggot loudly
>slurps his large coke from mcdonalds
>do rough maths in head
>call over staff member
>wont let me see his list
>kid slurps his coke, dribbles it down chubby little chin
>staff member: boris wheres your army list
>giggles
>boris wheres your army list i need to see it
>staff member obviously just did the math in his head too
>kid suddenly gets really huffy and puffs his massive fatty dicksucking lips out
>HMMMMMMMMMNNNGH ARE YOU CALLING ME A CHEATER
>screeches the word cheater so loud half the room flinches
>staff member tells him he either needs to show him his army list or get disqualified
>kid stamps his feet and screeches, drops his coke and spills it everywhere
>staff member looks dead inside
>finally kid gets over his tard rage when he's threatened to get kicked out of the shop for the hundredth time
>pulls his disgusting looking ipad (its a white one and yet it looks almost brown its so covered in stains and shit
>it wont even turn on
>kid slaps the fucking thing with his sticky coke-covered chubby little hands like a fucking mongoloid
>drags his sticky palm down it after he fucking licked it
>ipad unlocks
>spends a good three and a half minutes looking for his army list on ipad
>finally finds it

I think Arkhan Land had that going on, even had the whole "the Emperor is perfect and not a machine-man, so I can be too" line

Missile Launchers are ok. Grenade Launchers? Not so much.

Don't forget Mass Hypnosis

is it just me or are inceptor squads bad?

They are much tankier and are better at transporting from pint a to point b with the new rules, but they lost their utility of being able to fire special weapons out of the hatch. As had that wasn't really a bug issue, I use them as cover and fire support, but goliath are objectively better in every way

dropbox.com/sh/16rftxw95qq06tk/AABCXAE3BVNls3GJaCpX_Kdaa?dl=0

>6 hours
Im in the same boat as you but the first unit I put together took less than an hour and thats including unboxing everything kicking my cat away like 3 times and having the worlds shakiest hands.

Do you have parkinsons?

What was on the list?

Both. Obviously if you roll a 5+ then they can roast immediately, but if not then stay flexible. A flamer/shotgun squad is 69 points, ld8. They'll survive most battleshock tests and they're not enough to waste a huge amount of firepower on.

that ork is gonna run out of dakka after firing for like, 3 seconds.

>its built using a list-building app
>except he opened it in gallery and it's obviously been painted over using his ipad's paint app
>points values are obviously fucking written over using the spraypaint tool i shit you not
>holds it up as if its the fucking glove in the OJ case
>if the points all fit you must acquit
>staff member has thousand mile stare at this point
>hands him the ipad and tells him to get the fuck out
>kid flips the table in tard rage
>staff member calls police
>kid goes on a rampage around the store screeching, two guys hold him down
>he shits himself
>police arrive and tell the guys they have to get off him or theyll be arrested
>as soon as they get up he grabs a cleaning knife off of the table and tries to stab one of them
>police tackle the kid to the fucking floor
>screeching and shitting
>they try to get the knife out of his hands and he winds up cutting his own finger
>starts screaming as if hes being killed
>screams the police stabbed him
>screams we tried to kill him
>his mum shows up
>his mum is so fat she has to come in the door sideways
>she asks whats going on and sees her son on the floor under police covered in shit
>mum attacks the police
>police have to arrest mother
>they physically cant get her out of the door with her hands behind her back, she doesn't fucking fit
>kid keeps kicking everything and the entire fucking shop reeks of shit

That's the image I associate with the kind of people who are so lazy they can't do basic math and lift a pencil and have to use list building programs.

except grenade launchers are 5 points and assault.
and while heavy bolters are probably better for the points, their availability is different.

I hate assembling. So, so, so damn much. I enjoy painting but it's kind of a take or leave for me. I kind of learned to enjoy it I guess.

Give it another unit or two, don't stress out about perfection, and spend a lot of time painting at the game store where you can hang out with people and chat while you work. Or go to a company to do it for you, people would prefer that over an unpainted army.

Cool story bro

>Not firing all of your Dakka to then beat someone with the gun
MUCKIN' ABOUT

>Theres no way to take rifleman Helbrutes

I get that the point was probably to make Brutes more of a close support/melee unit compared to conventional dreads, but the fact that Reaper autocannons still suffer that penalty to hit while having shorter range than loyalists just sucks.

I'm surprised by how efficiently Knights can deal with hordes, with Titanic Feet. Sadly less useful against MSU light infantry. Has anyone tried a full Knight list in 8e yet? I remember seeing one or two thrown around earlier.

Thanks. I love cute spreadsheets.

We had as aspie who had unlimited NEET bucks that spent them all at the shop but never primed anything he painted enough for them to be anything other than brush streak covered shit fests. He would sperg out to himself in the corner and take huge smelly shits in the bathroom the kind GW store operator let us use because we were bros. He would beg us to play him to keep him occupied. It was torture.

Something along the lines of (it was hard to actually read the screen and also years ago).

Draigo
Grand Master
3 Dreadknights
10 Paladins
4 Strike Squads
Plus a few other things? It wasn't ridiculously over, but it was also obviously more than 2k and he somehow thought he'd get away with it.

ahahaha this retard ordered a bunch of recasted shit for Tzeentch daemons and is selling it off now it is no longer op.

trademe.co.nz/a.aspx?id=1344969676

That would be a problem. Though 5 and 6 are usually good enough, and a 4 has a chance. And remember that if he "Greater Goods" at a target the helping units cannot overwatch again at ALL that turn. Basically you need several targets to get close if he castles up like that, then you want to mass hypnosis the most dangerous unit.

I prefer the flamer over the laser on the truck, the laser only comes on the rockgrinder, and you're gonna want to get that as close as possible to use the drill, which makes the flamer more consistently useful since you can advance and use it reliably. Tryon offers you little since it only brings out hivefleet infantry units, not GSC units. I'd bring a mawloc or some kind of heavy dakka support like an exocrine or a tyrannofex. You could also bring zoanthropws for smite support or the ability to make your units advance and charge, or get the new fnp. Then there's deathleaper for character sniping... lots if options to choose from

Yeah well your butcher autocannon gets 8 shots to our 4 for exterminator autocannon.

On a 6 you move as normal, on a 5 you get an extra round of shooting or move d6 inches, your choice.

So basically now that HWS are cheap, you can afford to specialise into HB and LC, making autocannon squads not as good right?

You guys don't have to rely on that do you? I hate fishing for sixes. Is there some way to modify the roll?

So in 8th edition, are the Triarch Praetorians worth taking? They're expensive as fuck, but love their fluff and have wanted to run the space skellington police since 5th

Yes. LC in Infantry Squads. HB(or mortars) in HW Squads.

Autocannons still have their preferred targets, so it's not like there's no reason to take them.