pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previously, on /5eg/:
What Oath do you like the best and why?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=PAVXS6rjxk8
youtube.com/watch?v=8mNCIVZP7Tk
dmsguild.com/product/195427/The-Spellbinder-Class
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Running a wild west-inspired game with hexcrawl and mid-travel encounters. My players don't like casters being able to dump level 3+ spells every round on some shitty goblins if long rests are common, so we're homebrewing a system that restores more or less resources (HP, HD, SP, spell slots, PP) when you're roughing it.

I need like 2-4 more modifiers, particularly some negative ones.
What are some of the dangers of travel in ye olde fantasy west or camping outdoors in general, and how can that be mitigated?

>human variant kensai monk
>blade mastery feat
>ran away from her monastery to join the circus
>became a knife thrower/ blade juggler/sword swallower

Decent or god awful back story?

I like a modified Conquest Oath, where it's more like "I will crush an enemy with overwhelming force then leave," as opposed to "I will crush an enemy with overwhelming force then keep going until there is nothing left where he lived."

Also the Veeky Forums Oath of Capitalism.

Why did they run away from a bitchin' monastery?

"No throwing/juggling/swallowing swords in the monastery" - the abbott

This pretty much

>What Oath do you like the best and why?
Ancients.

I would allow it, but the monastery bit seems a bit thematically weird. I would personally play it up as a super orthodox, strict monastery of a religion that used swordsmanship for ritual purposes, therefore them getting mad that a monk wanted to join the circus

>monks
>getting mad
Do you even polish the still waters, user?

How the fuck do I make a cave more interesting?

Like I've got the 'important' areas down, but how do I fluff a cave so it's not and you're walking down a tunnel and you're walking down a tunnel and you're walking and you're walking and you're walking and a dragon pops out

That was pretty much what I had envisioned. Do you know any FR gods that'd work well for that?

>Running Curse of Strahd
>Players grew extremely attached to Piccolo the monkey that Rictavio gave to the toy shop owner
>They gave the monkey several gold coins for no reason

I decided that Victor, the burgomaster's son is going to accidentally summon a demon while trying to get his teleportation circle to work; Specifically, a greed demon, which is going to indoctrinate the monkey, now awakened to the glory of money.

My question is, what demon/devil statblock should it use? And any ideas for names?

>monks
>not being hot-blooded shounen protagonists

Does your hand even glow with an awesome power?

It may not be exactly what you mention, but the demon summoning UA had a spell to summon a Vrock, which needed a valuable gem to make the charisma check to control it easier (a higher value gem made it easier IIRC) and if your control broke someone else could "hire" it with valuable treasure or else it'd rampage before going back to the abyss. I have no idea what vrocks are supposed to be fluff-wise, but you could base the statblock off that

So the Morninglord is Lathander in Barovia, who or what is Mother Night? The Raven Queen?

Not precisely a FR lore connoisseur. Try the wiki

There's a statue of Mother Night in the Werewolf Den in Barovia, and in that case, it depicts a woman with the head of a wolf, with various flowers and vines, so I dunno.

Who says that the random, nondescript deity referred to as "the Morninglord" worshiped by broken down people that have been stuck in a pocket dimension for centuries in which their biggest threat is a creature of the night and the sun never truly rises is the same as the actual morninglord recognized in the world proper?

Far more likely they've just taken to Praising the Sun, wishing that they too could be so grossly incandescent.

>conflating hot-blood with rage or anger
>forgetting the lessons of GET MAD GET MAD GET MAD GET SO MAD IT DRIVES YOU MAD
>talking shit about the still waters when there's a whole plot point in G of Domon entering a collected, meditative state of mind
>theme music for Erupting Burning Finger is literally titled some bullshit about a clear and serene mind
bruh

But what's the best subclass for shounen monks?
>Sun Soul
>Open Hand
>Kensei

It's gotta be open hand with that bullshit save or die. That's quintessential shounen.

"You already lost"

Refluffed Long Death would best capture MUH FIGHTAN SPIRIT

Do they even praise the Sun?

Sun Soul for Jojo.

Stands are Ancestor Barbarian

If I have a shield strapped to my forearm with only a rapier in the other hand, do I technically count as one hand free? Or does it not work like that?

Are your character's parents alive?

Sun Soul. There's nothing particularly special about "good with swords" when all Monks can use weapons, and "knocks people back a lot" isn't really special to shounen protags (and "you're already dead" comes online way too late, plus you're supposed to be the fucking good guy teenager here).

But they all can manifest a glowing aura of fighting spirit and shoot special beam attacks.
youtube.com/watch?v=PAVXS6rjxk8
youtube.com/watch?v=8mNCIVZP7Tk

Doesn't work like that.

Basically, every time you try and rationalize something like "BUT I CAN STRAP MY SHIELD" or "IN REAL LIFE...", that doesn't work. The rules are there to ensure a somewhat leveled playing field. Not to be realistic.

>Shurato
>Saint Seiya

Found the Brazilian.

Reposting for more suggestions on how to portray this NPC:

She's a succubus in disguise and infiltrated a major religious organization, filled with clerics and paladins. She herself has picked up some paladin training, represented in a few extra abilities (justified as an oath of treachery). Obviously, she has a Ring of Mind Shielding, to protect her from Divine Sense and detect evil spells. She also used to be the romantic interest of one of the PCs.

How do I give subtle clues that she's not who she appears to be without giving it away? When it's revelead I want the players to have that "oh so that's why..." moment.

5E considers having a shield equip to negate use of your free hand, even though they also consider shields to be of the forearm strappy variety given that it takes an entire action to put one on or take one off (when the handheld kind would just be drop / grab) and two-handed combatants can take a hand off their bow or greatsword to do whatever they want (cast a spell, drink a potion, grapple) no problem, as long as they don't try to use their weapon at the same time their hand is full.

You may ask how shields are more powerful than two-handed weapons given that every build around these memeing parts suggests TWO-HANDER AND GWM, or how obscenely powerful dual-wielding must secretly be considering it takes a fucking feat to be able to do it on the first round and it also takes up both of your hands in a much more clear-cut way than two-handers or shields do. The answer to that is, no one at WotC thought about this too hard.

Just a boring white boy from the Midwest. I got my 80s and 90s anime from Italian relatives.

my faget DM somehow broke through my Fey Ancestry, dominated my Half-Elf sorcerer and made me throw a fireball at a teammate. For "legit" purposes, the dominatrix did know I had access to fireball as I just scorched a few of his friends the turn before.

Should I have argued this call? That's where the session ended. My plan is to have my friends take my necklace (arcane focus) and have the dominator waste my turn trying to cast another fireball, which would be impossible to do. But would it know I can't cast it? Fucking charm spells, how do they work?

About to level up to level 3 wizard, my current stats are like this
STR 10
DEX 12
INT 16
WIS 10
CHA 14
AC 11
Passive Perception 10
Should I take a feat?

Romcom that shit.

Literally watch any romantic comedy for the HILARIOUS hijinks and misunderstandings. Take those, apply to your succubus situation, but instead of being misunderstandings, they are exactly what they appear to be but because of her relationship to the PCs the whole 'this isn't what it looks like' thing works.

Oh. Well, what were the odds? The one white guy in the US that has watched Shurato and he posts on Veeky Forums too.

Your Fey Ancestry only gives you advantage on saving throws vs. Charm, it's not proof against it. You would have had advantage anyway because, conceivably, this person is fighting you.

The correct course of action here is to have your party members throw rocks at you, because any damage taken gives you another saving throw to shake off the spell (taken with advantage as well, since you have Fey Ancestry).

No feat. Get that INT maxed ASAP.

I would say 4 out of 5 times, you don't go into adventuring as a lifestyle if your parents are still alive.

I don't suppose you guys have any recommended sites for getting shit to use with roll20? Like tokens and maps.

If these kikes think I'm paying 10 dollarydoos for some tables they can go fuck themselves.

Wait, were you dominated or charmed?

Dominate Person works very differently from Charm Person.

>not using spritesheets from SNES, Genesis, and GBA games

That AC makes me wanna puke

all right, I'll have them stone me. DM is playing it that we're allowed to speak while dominated. I don't know how verbal spells are done, but whatever.

Getting adv on the pummeling will work nicely.

Dominated, but it counts as a charm spells for triggering Fey Ancestry as the other guy mentioned. I was just treating it more than it actually was.

>try to allocate my ability scores
>want to be good at thing but don't want to be bad at other thing
>go average in everything

>Romcom that shit.
I love the idea! Any movies you thought of specifically?

If you only want to be good at things for flavor then don't worry about it. You won't be passing around your character sheet so no one will know you have an 8 in Intelligence.

If you want it for skills then I'd say only really go up to 10 for the stats governing those skills at most and then take proficiency in those skills and get either expertise or some skill feats from the skill feat UA.

If you're worried about being a functional party member all you really need is your attack stat and Con. Con you can leave sitting for a while until you determine that you need more. It's easy for Con since it's a flat stat increase, whereas increasing your attack stat puts the dice more reliably in your favor, but is never guaranteed. Beyond that just focus on your class features more than stats.

That's fine, but you asked 'how does charm even work'. Dominate Person is very different, in that its charm condition allows the caster to, using their action, take precise control of you.

HOWEVER, I'd say Dominate doesn't allow the caster to force you to cast a fireball. The spell very specifically says 'simple and general course of action'.

So, unless whoever cast this on you spent their action forcing you to cast Fireball, that shouldn't have happened.

Well I'm making a high elf wizard, and it doesn't feel right to have an 8 charisma, at the same time a 16 dex and 14 con feels a little too minmax-y, feel me?

Are the eladrin still fey lords in the 5th edition or did they get turned back into celestials from Arborea?

Sorry, the last romcom I saw starred Heath Ledger and that was... jeez, close to 20 years ago or something.

But they all use the same plot devices, so you should be good watching any one of them.

Try spell points instead of spell slots. Make long rests normal length of time.

Like I said only Con and your primary attack stat really matter, which if you're a wizard is INT. If you're really worried about making Dex saves I'm sure you can find a spell to help with that.

My idea for a monk that'll be my next character is a little different

>Ghostwise Halfling
>Way of Shadow Monk
>from a clan of halflings that were enslaved by giants for generations, weapons were too big for halflings so they couldn't fight
>they had to learn to defend themselves hand-to-hand and use the shadows to hide and their telepathic communication for subterfuge
>with it they awakened the use of "ki" (they call it something else, haven't thought of what yet)
>eventually they escaped and settled in a peaceful place but continued their ways because goddamn they're useful
>sold their skills as shadow monks to become hired thieves, agents and assassins

I want to iron it out some more but that's the basic gist. I'm trying to adapt the Halfling's celtic/gaelic origins to the basic martial and spiritual aspects of the monk, I want to stay mostly away from the asian influences.

The DMG makes them a humanoid (elf) subrace that lives in the Feywild. Their racial abilities give them an even stronger tie to the fey though.

Any other suggestions for this? The party is 4 level 5 characters, they will potentially be level 6 when they encounter this, and I don't want to utterly destroy them.

Just about everything 4E did to the planes and the planet, except the creation of the Feywild and Shadowfell, has been reversed.

The easiest way to reconcile the Fey/Celestial-Eladrin shit is to say that Eladrin arose naturally in Arborea, and at some point they discovered the Feywild and a group went over there and set up an entirely separate culture, spawning the classical Fey. In the same vein, some of those Fey eventually spent a lot of time hanging out on the Prime Material and spawned the Elves.

So, pretty much high elves from the Feywild.

Say I'm a level 1 wizard, what cantrips do I choose?

Whatever ones you want senpai

How hard does Heavy Armor Master get fucked by diminishing returns? I mostly took if because I needed that extra +1 STR that it provides, but the 3 DR is pretty cool too. Will 3 DR become useless late game?

Traps, pitfalls, odd paintings, locked doors, scratches on the walls.

You know, dungeon stuff

>What Oath do you like the best and why?
Running a blackguard who's generally a nice guy and wants to see the world a better place but is an incorrigible coward and scallywag.

So yeah Oath of Treachery is p fun.

Mage Armor?

It barely gets fucked. Anytime you're fighting against melee opponents without magical weapons (read: most melee opponents), HAM will give you the equivalent of 3 extra HP every time you're hit. For some enemies that amounts to a near-50% damage reduction (CR 3 veteran does 6-8 average damage per hit, just makes many hits), and even against big tough creatures that damage reduction will usually be around 10-20%.

Considering that you still get a +1 alongside that DR, it's fantastic feat.

Well, I guess that's an acceptable excuse. It could be worse. They always had a fey vibe anyway, and Arborea basically is a safer Feywild.

Don't suppose you know a good source for some? I'm DMing a game soon and that would really capture the feel.

I like Oath of the Crown most personally, mainly because I like playing the loyal knightly type who protects people when I play paladins.

Think of any game and punch "TITLE sprite sheet" into Google Image Search and you'll find a bajillion of 'em. There are whole websites dedicated to that stuff but I don't remember any off-hand; you'll see them, though.

>Goliath Barbarian 'borrowed' from his family by a wandering group of oni when he was a tiny kid because he amused/impressed them and proceeded to be raised by them
Eh, maybe. Not like he gives a fuck.
>Undying Light/Celestial Warlock that grew up under the guidance of a wizard alongside another spellcaster, views the two of them as the only family they have, refuse to talk about birth parents
If they're not, whoever did them in is gonna have hell to pay.

Found one website and there's a ton of Final Fantasy and Fire Emblem ones that are perfect for basic NPC's. So thanks.

Any games you recommend I look at for sprites?

Paladin's Quest 2 (Lennus 2) for battle and town maps, obviously.

>Mearls recommend the Spellbinder class from dmsguild, as it was "pretty cool"
>$2 dollars, guess I'll check it out.
>Castlevania-esque vampire hunter class
>1st level feature is Magic Circle (3rd level spell) that affects any creature instead of fey, fiend, or undead creatures.
>3rd level feature of a subclass is a better Bestow Curse.
I mean, the idea is pretty cool, but is beyond being balanced.

What god would be strictly opposed to bane?

Trying to make a thing about two large orders of paladins, clerics, etc clash. Bane is already in because I just think hes a rad dude, but I can't figure out which god would detest him enough to signal their men to actively fight him.

This tells us nothing. It could be a Fighter archetype for all we know, so who cares if it casts Magic Circle 1/day and nothing else?

He said class man... It's a class.

A god of law and order. A god of CIA

What's a creative use of Bestow Curse?

Cyric has some Evil vs. Evil rivalry going on and there's a lot of bad blood between their faiths in the past, including open warfare. Gods of Chaos would chafe under Bane, too.

If you're looking for some Good vs. Evil action, Lathander (or Amaunator) would be opposed to Bane, as well as any other God who's a big fan of concepts like Hope or Freedom. Any God suitable for the Light domain would work, save Kossuth, who kind of gets along with Bane.

dmsguild.com/product/195427/The-Spellbinder-Class
It's a half-caster class, 1st level feature is limited by Int modifier, long rest. Has a 10-foot radius by 40-foot-tall cylinder (while Magic Circle is 10x20).
Has other stuff like feats baked into features, etc.

The class idea is good, execution isn't.

Bane IS a God of Law and Order. He wants everyone fearful and submissive, bowing to his absolute tyrannical authority, every one and every thing in its place.

How do I stop my mount from dying as either a Knight or Cavalier?

SAddle of the cavalier

Thanks a lot, leaning a bit towards Helm now, but i'm gonna read a bit more into them before I make a final decision.

And yes, i'm sure thats going to be the first of many batman references.

The Mounted Combatent feat does a lot better then you'd think. Changing attacks directed at your mount to you covers 80% of situations where your mount dies, and the Dexterity Save boost covers most AoE's you have to worry about.

Other then that people have to actually devote a fair bit of effort into killing your mount now... which just isn't worth it most of the time. So your horse/mastiff/whatever will be pretty safe.

Ride a dragon

If going from 4e fluff (which was remarkably good for him) you could always use his brother, Kord.

bruh

He really fucking hates Mystra and wants her dead so he can be the God of all Magic. She's not so much in strict opposition to him ideologically as she is "this guy's a douche and wants to murder me so maybe he needs to die".

Well it went as "you scorched my friends with your fireball. I want you to do that to your friends" and that was its action.

Guys I'm playing a mount dwarf paladin of vengeance in a CoS campaign. What feat should I take for my level 4? My stats are 19 10 16 14 10 17. Would an ASI be better?
I'd like to avoid combat feats if possible (I wield a greatsword but don't want GWM), and go for something more flavourful/useful in another way. Is Warcaster any good?

Are there any spells that let you create a ghostly version of yourself, kind of like Astral Projection but still on the material plane? I'm making some monsters and would rather use innate spellcasting than invent some shit

Mirror Image?

Project Image?

1 hour ago my weekly D&D session should've started, everyone but our DM was on the Discord channel, he's probably sleeping because he has the sleeping schedule of a cat and didn't manage to wake up after sleeping for 10+ hours.

How are your D&D games going, 5eg?

Playing on Sunday afternoon as usual. Players are about to head off to the Wizard of Wines in Barovia after having retrieved the Sun Sword from Van Richten's tower.

Awesome, thanks man

We've just run into a Druid and one part member agreed to help him. Issue is helping him directly gets in the way of a promise that another party member made to their Mother.

So while those two argue over which question we should ask the magic mirror I'll just push past and ask the question that will help us actually solve the main plot. People need to start putting their petty problems aside.

What's the best domain for a homebrew River God?

Maybe Nature or Tempest? You could take Nature and replace some of the spells with water-themed ones.

Anyone ever made themselves a custom character sheet before? My fiancé made one themed for her Druid and it looks pretty cool, I'm thinking of asking her to make one for my Fighter.