Previous Thread: NEWS

>Commander 2017 Spoilers
mythicspoiler.com/c17/index.html

>Latest Commander Ban Announcement
mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18588

>Latest MTGO Banlist Update
wizardsmtgo.tumblr.com/post/160343614814/update-mtgo-commander

RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>Veeky Forums EDH General Discord
discord.gg/UE9Vqzu

CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

THREAD QUESTION

What's on tap for tonight?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/prototype-vengeance-of-zendikar/
mtggoldfish.com/price/Journey into Nyx/Athreos God of Passage#paper
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scorched_earth
edhrec.com/commanders/shirei-shizos-caretaker
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/09-06-17-stop-hitting-yourself/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Great general, or greatest general?

>"Recent Market Analysis Shows This Image Triggers 98% of /edh/ Posters"
I don't get it.

I want to get more competitive with edh but my playgroup hates powerful decks.
What do?

OP is pissy that people called him out about being a little bitch for spitescooping

I want to play him, but I don't want to play mono white

>beer posting
what a meme op
only water and celery for me thanks
i don't hate my body

so would a Jor Kadeen deck just be a Daretti and a Sram deck mixed together?

is there any way to play phage that isn't retarded? was memeing that i could haste her out after a board wipe in child of alara

In a really inefficient way? Sure. He's much better suited for token spam though with lots of artifacts that Boros needs anyway

Play them, it worked for my playgroup.

tutor up a commanders beacon

Maybe you could try Olivia Mobilized for War? Rakdos has a bunch of no blocking allowed cards and Olivia is a way to give Phage haste from the command zone

Play with anothee group as well

But Daretti and Sram are both good artifact commanders that give you value. So why not put them both in a deck headed by a General that cares about artifacts being on the board?

why is boros so shit
whites fun on its own
reds fun on its own
but there are 30 boros commanders that all do the same shitty thing

They can and probably should go into the deck, sure. But you're not going to have access to them every game from the command zone, so why not build around Jor Kadeen instead?

just because the commander says "play doods, turn sideways" doesn't mean you have to do exactly that. You could use the commander as a finisher while building up a board state of taxation effects and hate bears, or use the various artifact synergies in both colors to gain incremental value throughout the game.

1) Red and White are supporting colors. When you just have one color the difference between supporting and the colors that can do their own thing is rather small. Green isn't that much better than Red. When you combine the two colors that have trouble standing on their own though, they don't get much better, while every other combination does. Gruul or Azorius just have so many more options than Boros.
2) Wizards is bad at trying new themes. Boros is the Boros Legion, so they're all about combat, everything is fighting, all the time. Can't be anything not related to combat.

I didn't say I was building around them specifically. What I meant was to take the elements of both decks that work well together and put them in a deck that is lead by a general that also synergizes well with them.

You won't have the virtual CA or power that Daretti provides, or the actual CA that Sram provides. Your commander might synergize, but he'll be much slower and weaker than either would be individually. The only real advantage you get out of it is Sunforger.

ur dum

Just figuring out how to make boros viable makes me dumb?

So I dug up my budget deck from when I first got into EDH and did some extensive editing. Thoughts?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/prototype-vengeance-of-zendikar/

None of the commanders available force you to do anything. The fast is, boros commanders don't enable much more than "turn dudes sideways" but other color combos enable a variety of strategies and synergies.

Does Brion's effect damage count as commander damage?

It's only ever been combat damage.

No. Only combat damage is commander damage.

should blacks be allowed to play magic?

Ok, this may sound autistic, but does anyone stick to a theme with the lands they use in decks?

No

Its extremely common, google island 236 foil as an example

Anyone know why Ulamog, the ceaseless hunger is so expensive now? Is it just a standard thing that rotation will fix or is modern killing the dream again? Last card needed for a deck.

Marvel is tier 1 in Standard right now, BFZ being artificially extended past the initial design dropoff point is throwing everything out of whack

Its a standard thing, give it a year or a bancycle and itll go down

Discussion last thread about scooping and people got REALLY up in arms about how it's a loophole in the rules and other dumb shit.

You're deck looks cool and fun but I don't know the first thing about tuning Grumpy Omnath so I can't provide you any direction. I figured this reply was better than no replies.

My playgroup has 3 judges, if we determine a scoop signifigantly alters the game and the killing player is upset their attack doesnt work we simply veto that players scoop, either way they lose so their opinion on the issue doesnt matter.

OP here. Was not meant to be literal. "On tap for tonight" is a colloquialism for what are your plans for the most popular night of the week for MTG.

Just because their judges doesn't change the rule, user. Also voting on how you want a board state to play out is quite possibly the most ridiculous thing I've read on this board. If you don't like it, then house rule it.

>their
they're*

If you want to alter somebody's boardstate you better have a card for it. If you're being killed and you dont have a card welcome to die.

What are some good sac outlets in Gruul/Naya?

House rule it if it ruffles your feathers that much. Don't institute an asinine system that is rife with abuse.

"We don't like that this player is winning so we'll vote to allow him not to take advantage of this situation."

This board has shown me I am blessed with my access to the various metas I play in.

greater good
goblin bombardment
perilous forrays
phyrexian altar
ashnods altar
skullclamp

Do people seriously have groups where people spitefully concede?

I have a group where people concede to cause people to reconsider knocking them out of games but there's no spite involved.

What the fuck are you babbling about? Nobody even said any of that shit.

oh gosh yes

>if we determine a scoop signifigantly alters the game and the killing player is upset their attack doesnt work we simply veto that players scoop

It's at your discretion to determine that. That's why it's rife with abuse.

yea

Yep

>Heh. Pathetic kid. Little did you know that killing ME would lead to your downfall

I love to do this, even if no one else notices but me. If my commander is from a certain plane I like to get lands from that plane. Or I like to do all lands from a certain set, particularly Ravnica or Innistrad.

>playing 4man edh at a convention with strangers
>reanimator combo guy casts some mass reanimate spell to combo out and win
>I have pharika on the board and BG open, about to exile his boonweaver giant to prevent shenanigans
>the guy to my left starts talking shit like reanibro isn't about to win on the spot
>"no response"
>boonweaver giant wins on the spot
Who would have thunk it
I did it for my Tomorrow deck
Equal numbers of each kamigawa island to make sets of panoramas

>You can't stop me from gaining that life off of you. That's against my rules.

I would kill for full art Ravnica lands

Of course I do, pretty much everyone on here is just as autistic as you.
These are better, can be hard to find though.

Why/When did Atheros god of passage get so expensive? when I bought him a year or 2 ago he was only $5 now he's almost 20

You bought him at the all-time low, and now you're looking at overpriced listings. He's like $11.

>Thinks $10 is close to $20.
>kek

This is what my group does. It's really funny because every time it happens the spite scooper completely spergs out and looks like an even bigger asshole. We simply tell him if he wanted a say in how the game was going to go he should have stayed in it.

Anybody with any social awareness stops spitescooping or stops showing up to commander night at that point.

It's funny how people in this thread are saying the same shit they do, sputtering out shit like
>B-ball you should have made it a house rule

Newsflash fag, you can make up anything you want at any time as long as everyone in the game agrees with it. You are no longer in the game to disagree.

I don't get why people do this. The only time anyone in my group announces "I scoop" is:
A) They know for a fact there is absolutely nothing they can top deck the next turn to ensure survival
B) Opponent went infinite and the cards/effect have been explained/known to the player
B1) Even if they opponent went "infinite" the player will stick around so that the effect finishes resolving, but only if it is a multiplayer game

Okay general.
A) You're playing mono-white
B) Everyone will focus on you because "fuck you I want to play the game!"

I don't understand what you mean.

If you're lucky it will go down. For example, I don't recall Noble Hierarch being fucking $80 back when mythic bant was the only response to jund in standard.

It has specific conditions, calm your autism faggot.

As other anons noted, it seems you're looking at overpriced numbers. Other than that, take a look at which good/top decks use that card. That'l probably give you your answer.

It's been explained multiple times and people can't understand. I'm not doing it a fourth time so people can say yet again I play with a group of immature edgelords or whatever other buzzwords they'll conjure to justify whatever they define as how one should "properly" play EDH.

All of the gods are expensive because they're decent generals, new, and extremely popular with casuals. Gods are basically planeswalkers in terms of casual appeal.

In my experience, god tribal 5-color wrath decks are just as popular as casual sliver decks.

what's up with the image, I thought you had to have 2 scoops to trigger people?

Classic deck

I do it for my Sygg deck. A lot of the Islands and Swamps lean towards rivers or open seas. Check the original Innastrad island with the raging seas, then check the calmer version of it from Avacyn Restored.

I tried to do the same thing with Sapling and heavily forested swamps and forests.

>Still, this fucking long, defending spite-scooping as a political move, especially knowing that you are literally the only person here who sees it as anything other than faggotry

In all of the ways you can play this game, win, set up for future games, etc., the only thing that most groups will agree upon is that scooping at instant speed to fuck over another player is hardly acceptable. You could remove their permanents or cause a board wipe in response to your death. You can counter an important spell they need and deprive them of it while you know you're going to die next. You can pump someone else's creature with counters in response to stuff like this. Dying breath moves that people can actually do stuff with are totally fine, but literally saying "W-well I am out of the game! No lifegain/damage/target/extra player triggers for you!" is about the most cuck move you can do. Fuck off and kill yourself.

So how is Sedris guys? Bringing that from the last thread. I've got a Rakdos the Defiler demon tribal deck, which is ok but lacks truly impactful plays other than Sire of Insanity, Living Death, Repay in Kind and Havoc Festival. I was wondering, would Sedris be able to provide a better pressure on the board? Last time I remember seeng him, it was all Kiki combos

Most of the time, like I've got necrogen swamps for my geth deck (swamps with the vault of whispers are underwhelming)

sorry I was looking at edhrec and they have it listed as 16. IMO 16 is closer to 20 than 10 so i don't see why that's a kek.

No one answered why his price picked up though

price picks up as time goes on
that's why we need reprints

This is your threadly reminder that if you are upset by "tactical scoop," you do not understand MAD, or Mutually Assured Destruction.

MAD only applies in circumstances where both belligerents can assure absolute devastation upon either side doing anything to overstep boundaries. Responding to an all-out attack by flashing in No Mercy or Routing when someone has an Omnath and multiple elementals is MAD. Fireballing someone who has multiple Goblin Bombardment targets, but simply not enough to absolutely kill you at instant speed is MAD. Hitting someone who has all kinds of lethal and making them mill a ton or discard their hand is MAD. Scooping because someone killed you is literally just depriving them of a reason to target you beyond simply booting you out of the game. And if they know you're going to scoop to deprive resources, they're only going to throw things at you that aren't intended to gain value, killing you anyways, but now without the good favor of an honorable death. Spite-scooping only results in Spite-targeting in future games. People like you lack the concept of regular play groups. I wouldn't be surprised if you've only played EDH in MTGO.

mtggoldfish.com/price/Journey into Nyx/Athreos God of Passage#paper

It hasn't really "picked up". You got it at the bottom of its fall, and it's stabilizing at about $10, just dipping somewhat above and below.

People like you use words like "spite" to describe actions in a game where the primary objective is to be the last player alive. I don't intend on letting you get a feast and famine trigger if i'm being attacked for lethal, but every game action BEFORE that point was a cake and icecream simulator where we sucked each others dicks in a circle and sang kumbaya . The ridiculousness of the anti-scoop position peaks when you ask the question of if players are allowed to activate abilities like moltensteel dragon, or if they are allowed to use swords to plowshares on the attacking player out of "spite."

> The ridiculousness of the anti-scoop position peaks when you ask the question of if players are allowed to activate abilities like moltensteel dragon, or if they are allowed to use swords to plowshares on the attacking player out of "spite."

If you literally use cards to drain your own life total out of the game, you used your own cards to kill yourself. This is absolutely acceptable in every way because you literally had to have reachable out on the field when you were on your way to die, and people could have easily broken it or deprived you of the possibility of activating it's ability, like with K-Grip. How the fuck does Swords to Plowshares go against what I've said? You're killing something they have as a last breath attack on their resources and dying. It is absolutely fair to damage them for killing you. Literally MAD in and of itself.

What you're describing is Scorched Earth tactics. I'd advise you read a book every once in a while. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scorched_earth

>edhrec.com/commanders/shirei-shizos-caretaker
what the fuck /edhg/ i'd never heard of this guy until the day but, i dunno i find his card design so cool. anyone ever play or make a deck with this guy? is he any good or fun? what's some spicy stuff you can do with him? I might make him myself.

He is a 100$ deck commander, if your meta doesn't have any removal or gravehate he is pure cancer. Otherwise, he is very similar to Endrek Sahr - puny 2/2 body for 5 mana, that has your whole deck spinning around him and dies to a stiff breeze

It's ironic that you are telling me to read a book but you can't be bothered to read the rule book.

You're under the impression I'm arguing against you because I think it's illegal. I'm saying that it's rude and exclusively poor sportsmanship. If you do this at your LGS frequently, you're only going to draw ire, and if you are surprised by this, you are retarded. Just because something's "Legal" doesn't mean that everybody is going to be sunshine and unicorn vomit just because you """can""" do it.

How is using the inherent player option to lose the game at any time more rude than activating moltensteel dragon twenty times? And if you say it's fair because it can be interacted with, I will hold priority during each activation, then fuck your face with the abilities on the stack.

It's a 100% irrational complaint.

I wonder if anybody has that weird feeling that some cards don't belong in the deck? Even if the deck is build around a general and the cards are absolute must for it to work? I get it mostly in decks with more that 2 colors, it feels like a mismatched mess in your hand. Is this autism?

Noble Hierarch's price skyrocketed after DRS was banned in Modern.

Commander is filled with autistic reactions to things based on no logic whatsoever. You're in good company. Speaking of autistic reactions, what's your opinion on conceding?

>How is using the inherent player option to lose the game at any time more rude than activating moltensteel dragon twenty times? And if you say it's fair because it can be interacted with, I will hold priority during each activation, then fuck your face with the abilities on the stack.

Alright, you had a moltensteel dragon on the field, had it until you were guaranteed a death, and killed yourself with its triggers in response to...what, a Sword of Feast and Famine's damage trigger? This meant that you had to have had it through multiple turns, something that could be Naturalized or Doombladed really easily, two shocks could have easily erased it from the field, a 5-cost fireball would destroy it, a random sac trigger could have made you get rid of it. You had to have had this thing on the field, and use of its ability is looming over our heads as a card that just may kill its owner before we have the ability to. Thus, if I see that, I know for sure you can easily pay your life total and kill yourself before I'm able to kill you. If I wanted to, I could destroy it with any number of ways and deprive you of the option unless I have 900 saprolings with a Beastmaster Ascension out and you know for damn sure they're coming your way. Not to mention, again, K-Gripping it will deprive you of the option to commit suicide before I'm able to beat my triggers out of you. This creature is absolutely within its rights to be able to kill its owner, and suicide by card is infinitely preferable to "I'll just leave, fuck you". Why you are having such difficulty grasping this concept is beyond me. I literally had the ability to cut away your suicide tactic and still draw value from you with Moltensteel. An unexpected """tactical""" scoop can happen at any point in the game just because I'm ahead.

What do y'all think of my deck idea
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/09-06-17-stop-hitting-yourself/

The thing is, your deck will eventually evolve such that you know precisely what cards "matter", which is determined by what your deck seems to do the most, and the best. My old Darien deck ran tons of cards that made soldier tokens, because if I took damage, it would only further supplement my army and I could go further with it. My current Darien deck runs only four token makers, but a metrick fuckton of things that put damage into my own face, like painlands or artifacts that hurt me or everybody when I tap them. They became my new token makers, and as long as I can get my hands on a soul sister before actually killing myself, they are usually either paid for as they come in, or even a net positive.

Absolutely silly. Add a Fireshrieker and/or a Hedron Matrix to the deck.

I'm not the one to perpetuate arguments and I've rarely been in a situation when the damage connecting to a person did matter. In my group we often concede after somebody manages to establish a lock, even when it'll take ages for him to actually kill the table. Generally, no one would make fun of a person if he concedes even without a good reason

That deck is sweet. I mean, when I play monocolor it's all good, other than glaring weaknesses due to color pie. Adding a second one is still okay, but when I try to combine my favorite duos into a deck with a single unified theme it falls appart. Compare Karador and Saffi - Karador is a superior choice for reanimation combos, but adding more colors makes my head spin

>This creature is absolutely within its rights to be able to kill its owner, and suicide by card is infinitely preferable to "I'll just leave, fuck you". Why you are having such difficulty grasping this concept is beyond me.
Besides your little emotional spiel, there is nothing inherently better about using a card effect or cost to do something rather than a game rule. Otherwise casting rampant growth would be a more honorable way of gaining land than simply playing it using game rules.
The term "leave" is used dishonestly here. Regardless of the outcome, you are either leaving or waiting for the next game anyway. Literally the only difference is something like whether or not you get a trigger or something. You keep on trying to play this debate like allowing the trigger to go through is the thing a socially aware person would do, but treating a trigger like its a moral right is absolutely more ridiculous.

> This meant that you had to have had it through multiple turns, something that could be Naturalized or Doombladed really easily, two shocks could have easily erased it from the field, a 5-cost fireball would destroy it, a random sac trigger could have made you get rid of it. You had to have had this thing on the field, and use of its ability is looming over our heads as a card that just may kill its owner before we have the ability to.
The inherent absurdity of this line of justification is that you are coming up with solutions to a problem that does not exist.

The way magic normally works already, well, works. You or the rest of the #scooprape crew have been able to come up with nothing but emotional appeals to why we should be playing a game that is measurably not "Magic: the Gathering"

The questions you should be asking are less "What does this extra color give me?" and more "What can my commander do with this extra color?"

For example, as simple as it may seem, looking at Dakkon Blackblade versus Molimo, they are in essence the exact same dude, but the vastly different color identity means that they are going to need to utilize this wildly different territory to accomplish what is presumably an identical goal. Molimo has access to Branchwood armor, all of the Green ramp spells, Life's Legacy/Greater Good, etc. While this is definitely a massive blessing, you have to consider that Esper colors, relying primarily on shutting people out of a fight against you, can EASILY make Dakkon Blackblade just as dangerous, if not markedly more dangerous. You can copy artifact lands, you can use Sen Triplets to steal other players' lands from their hands. Since Dakkon isn't limited by land type, you can also just use tons of valuable utility lands and not worry about mana fixing. Not to mention every single potent aura in Esper colors, as well as all of the artifact synergy you have in order to simply tutor for all of the Equipment you could want. Literally the same general, but the general can use the color scheme that they are given differently. Don't think of it as "Reanimator, but with X+1 colors", think about it as "This guy does literally this, but now in these colors".

That is fucking retarded

I love it

OK guys its time to prove who OBJECTIVELY has the most patrician legend-taste.

Submit your app and prepare to be judged.

How would one make an acid trip themed deck? Not just a lucid dream, that would be rather easy. "What the fuck" art style, elementals, hand/deck manipulation, illusions and mill come to mind. We'll need blue, probably black, but what else?

Holy shit I forgot mono colors

Will fix tomorrow

Child of alara feels like an acid trip art .

Like your baby starts crying mid-trip and that's what you see

I played some edh at my lgs yesterday (I know, I know) and had only one game yesterday.

>me playing a low powerlevel Sygg
>Player A playing Momir
>Player B as Prossh
>Player C in a medium powerlevel Sissy deck that he hadn't touched in two years (he also hasn't played magic in general for 2 years)
>Play propaganda to deter Prossh from murdering me on his 3rd turn
>He spends a turn deciding whether to attack me or not
>Momir starts goading him into murdering me asap despite me having two nonlands out
>Prossh hits me twice unbuffed on his turns
>Tell Prossh that Momor might go crazy soon and he should apply some pressure on him
>Prossh says "I know when his deck will go crazy. i'll stop him before then."
>Prossh's next turn sees me dead to a buffed swing
>On Momir's turn he pops off, gets a second turn thanks to the miracle timewall, goes infinite and kills Prossh and Sissy

Anyone got stories of "I told you so"?

If you run a Vela deck, Phage can be really neat.

>You or the rest of the #scooprape crew have been able to come up with nothing but emotional appeals

Are you an idiot? Nobody here has said that it's against the rules to scoop. People make up house rules to try to mitigate spite scooping, sure. But everyone understands it's in the rules, just like jacking up pricing on medicine because you're the only game in town, or buying an election. It's all in the rules. You can do it.

What you aren't getting is that it's upsetting for people when you do so. The only response is an emotional one. The only argument is an emotional one. If everyone you play with likes spite scooping and each game is just a contest on who can hatefuck each other the best and you get a sense of satisfaction from it, go ahead. It's a bit like eating human flesh, if everyone is on the up and up, and it's not illegal where you live, you and your gang of cannibals can do you and eat each other's legs or whatever. Just don't be surprised when people are disgusted with you and you are excluded from their company.

4c suck, so have mono colored ones instead