What Magic: The Gathering could be (MTG)

Magic: The Gathering could be played as a self-contained card game with no need for expansions. Out of the many cards printed, only a few are uniquely powerful. These cards become the cards that the game revolves around, i.e. the starting lineup, the leaders, the quarterbacks, etc. If these cards could be brought together to work harmonically (thus, not overpowered), within a set of decks designed for this purpose, there would be no need to acquire more cards.

Comparions to Chess and Poker

Chess: The pieces move the same every game, and take some effort to coordinate, but spectacular games have occurred.

Poker: Because you would know your opponents deck, and the decks have been constructed in a way to produce interesting gameplay, you can contemplate your opponents plays without seeing their hand.

Wotc has zero incentive to do such a thing, as it would make them far less money.

New cards are literally the whole point.

Even LCGs which eschew the collectable aspect print new cards all the time.

The cards are already printed.

So you're basically talking about making precon decks. k.

Cube is likely to be more popular.

But cube is not precon.

The point is to have 5 decks that are specifically tailored to play against each other. For example, 9th edition had a deck for each color. Something like that, but more tuned, with a higher power level. (The purpose of a higher power level is to end games earlier to reduce reliance on topdecking.)

Yeah, I get what you are saying. What I am saying is that cube is likely to be more popular.

It could be played, but one of the most fun things in the game is to brew new decks and play casually.

There are lots of game like that. If you want to try something of that kind try out Netrunner if you haven't already. Haven't played myself, but I've only heard good things about it and I know I'll end up trying it sooner or later.
As for mtg, I like it the way it is.
If the game were how you say it could be, we couldn't play draft anymore, and most of the cards played in less popular/competitive formats use cards never seen in modern/standard/legacy. I love playing my beautiful 8 cost crap in Commander, and I love doing my own weird brews for my lgs' fnms

>and most of the cards played in less popular/competitive formats use cards never seen in modern/standard/legacy.
Damn I just woke up, I still don't know how to type.
"and most of the cards played in less popular/competitive formats have never been seen play in" I guess it would be a better way to say it

Has anyone got any recommendations for card games like this? I love Magic but can't currently afford it, I like the idea of buying a game that's all in there and that's that.

You can play LCGs like Netrunner and Game of Thrones or the upcoming L5R lcg, but they still release new cards all the time.

can you netrunner fags stop mentioning magic in your thinly veiled lcg thread?

Play edh.
>>can use almost every card ever printed in mtg's history.
>>playgroup can make balanced decks against each other if people are willing to not be dicks (big if).
>>not a three turn format so you can play like chess to advance your crazy boardstate.
>>like poker: can use politics and shenanigans to influence other players.

I'm somewhere between vintage and legacy. There's no point in having a 100 card singleton deck. 9th Editon theme decks seemed to get it right.

Can someone explain to me why they abandonned core sets?
As a fairly new player i like the idea of a core set that is always in play for every format. It would feel like a sound investment over a standard deck that will eventually rotate anyways. Like having a base collection, thats a good start for every new player.

Core sets usually ended up being useless. Former players didn't make great use of it and new players alredy had better ways of getting in the game.

Play cube draft. Done.

My partner and I took a decision when the original Innistrad block was released to focus on building a collection of tribal block-constructed decks that would allow us to play the various factions in the block. We settled on 12 decks, each strongly themed, and that has pretty-much ended up being our MtG. It sees more play than every other game we own put together. Way more fun than running the block cycling treadmill.

Peasant Cube a best

So vintage. Congrats you invented a dead format.

"work harmonically (thus, not overpowered)"

"you can contemplate your opponents plays without seeing their hand."

the point of contemplation is to be able to try to predict their play so you can react.

idk much about vintage but the impression i get is that there is not much reacting

thread's over boys, we've got a retard here