sgiz.mobi/s3/dbadf27c707b

>5etools:
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Resources Pastebin:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previously, on /5eg/:
Should stats dictate how you roleplay or just be there to determine outcomes of certain situations?

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/dndnext/comments/3s8906/all_core_magical_secrets_picks_for_bard/cwuzq4x/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

You shouldn't roleplay directly against your stats, that said there's no reason a dumb person can't have a good plan.

Our close group of friends are about to head into 5e as having played rpgs before, what can we expect from 5e? And how is the combat this edition?

ALRIGHT MAGGOTS, GIVE ME A GOOD ONE-SHOT FOR A LOW-LEVEL PARTY

reposting

guys, i got D&D in 2 hours and my bard went from 9 to 10th level and used downtime to jump to 11 for tier 3 adventure league fun. Gimme 2 spells a bard can best use from his Magical secrets ability (2 spells from any class, just have to be high enough level to cast them, so at level 10 it would have been up to 5th level spells).

Help!

You're a bunch of recruits being thrown in a training exercise bound to go wrong.

Someone said Bigby's Hand which is a pretty good suggestion

reddit.com/r/dndnext/comments/3s8906/all_core_magical_secrets_picks_for_bard/cwuzq4x/

>You shouldn't roleplay directly against your stats
I disagree, because context is often the deciding factor on what should and shouldn't work. A character with extremely low Charisma (due to incredible ugliness or inability to speak coherently) might not win people over with persuasion, but such a repulsive character would probably be actually pretty good at intimidation.

Never got to play it much, but I'm pretty sure the Malifaux RPG had a similar philosophy to its design. It's common for characters to actually have NEGATIVES in certain abilities, but that's perfectly fine because it might turn into a positive depending on how you use it (and certain talents actually require you to have a stat no higher than a specific number in order to take).

Pretty quick and easy to follow

Any advice for playing a lore bard? What spells should I be taking? How do I best use my bardic inspiration?

Wondering if I could get feedback on my homebrew class. It's basically Gish, the class. There are a lot of options already for gishes in 5e, but people keep asking for more, or at least something different. This is my attempt to provide what I believe to be what people want from a gish. A solid melee fighter, with magic to provide combat options and enhancements.

Firstly, it uses spell points instead of slots. While more flexible, they only get around 75% of the spell points a full caster would. This is to pull back some of the power gained from the spell point system. This also allows them to use more of their weaker spells if need be, which I feel adds the feeling of getting a lot more spells out, another thing I believe people want from a gish.

Secondly their spell list is very sparse. They get few spells that have application outside of combat. They also get around 20 known spells, some coming from their archetype, which provides spells they would not usually get to add variety. Each archetype also provides variety, changing the class to be a tank, anti-mage, red mage or utility character.

At least this is how I've tried to design it. If you have any ideas on improvements or balancing, I'd love to discuss it. Please ignore the empty space, I'm still looking for art if I decide to put it on the DMsG.

Not 100% on spells other than counter spell being really useful and just having one healing can really help the party out in a pinch. As for inspiration the lore bard I played with would normally save it for bigger damage dealers in tough fights or in situations where someone had to succeed on a check. It's really up to you on how you use it.

You are part of a merchant caravan that intruded on the secret grounds of a monastery.
The school masters have ordered for your death.

Enjoy having your players get PTSD from not!Vietnam.

What is /5eg/ opinion on a goblin shadow monk

>inb4 monk is bad meme

Is it just me, or can literally every concept (except for druids) be built better as a bard?

They're jacks of all trades

Sounds retarded, I'm in.

Now how about multiclassing it into assasin rouge?

The term "Jack of all trades, master of none" doesn't really work if they're "masters of all" as well

So, my DM's been looking for a new player in roll20 since last week. The thing is that he's kind of an asshole. I see the notifications (which have to be from earlier today as I'd kept an eye yesterday) of him seemingly talking to the new player on the campaign forum and going through the entire cycle of picking a player, having some dumb fight and either kicking him or the player leaving within a few messages.

Before people go >roll20, I'm currently in another group that's been hitch-free for about 3 months. It's just that this dude is catty as fuck. Should have left a good while ago but here we are

>rouge

>Noticing your mistake but not wanting to make an entire post to fix it

Feels bad man

They aren't though. As in, they can't possibly keep up with an actual frontline martial in damage, a wizard is going to outshine them in OoC utility, they have next to no blasting options to compete with specialized casters, a lot of clerics are going to heal better and provide comparable support and even in skill stuff they're at most comparable to rogue. They can fill in for several roles but they absolutely can't do everything better than everyone else

Determined outcomes, because some retards love pulling the 'it's what my character would do' because they think 8 int or wis means full retard.

I think my party has actual brain damage

>Hey Adventurers, the wizard who controls the weather from his tower has stopped responding to our messanger birds and it's been raining for weeks.
>Go to his hut and find out what happened please
>Inside the hut is a guy standing inside a magic seal drawn on the ground
>Looks like the weather wizard's description.
>"Hello adventurers! Set me free, and I will give you my rod of wonders!"
>Party's warlock rolls arcana on the sigil that the sigil that the wizard is inside
>Those are runes for summoning a demon
>"I caught my acolyte trying to summon a demon and attempted to stop him, but he used a scroll to swap my place with the demon and trap me inside this circle! Set me free and I will give you my rod of wonders!"
>Bard asks if he can roll insight
>Sure, it feels like there's more to the story than he's telling you
>"My acolyte has cast a spell that makes all who see me distrust me! Please, fight it off and set me free, and I will give you my rod of wonders!"
>Players decide this sounds legit
>Rub out part of the circle
>Wizard laughs and teleports away
>Warlock looks at me incredulously
>"What the fuck, GM, he left without giving us his rod of wonders!"

You're wrong. How would you build a bard that fights and/or tanks better than a fighter or paladin, or barbarian? Or a holy armored healer better than a cleric? Bards are awesome at what they do, but they can't replace the other classes.

well, except rogues.

Nah man. Can't replace that earlier Expertise and later Reliable Talent.

Didn't the trove used to have 80s artbooks/RP supplements? Why is it just all rules stuff?

Well, first of all, are you sure you aren't thinking of the /osrg/ trove? If not, it's probably because the original trove was taken down a while ago. This one's not even updated I think,

The trove got destroyed when Rick (the previous owner) got a C&D order from Roll20 and WotC. You can still find the books on dnd.rem.uz somewhere

That's almost as funny as the paladin fucking up his party's chance at asking some god or whatever a question.

Isn't there a spell to ask your god 3 yes/no questions?

Checking it now, can't find much with regards to artwork. These Gygax books seem neat though

Bummer. Figured they'd re-upload with all the stuff considering the 5e material is still on there.

It really should be an int class. We already have two cha gishes (and paladins if you count them as gishes).

I like that it uses spell points. The higher level spells look a bit too cheap to me (meteor swarm is a hell of a lot better than two level 5 nukes), but you limit them to one casting per long rest anyway so I don't think it's that big a deal.

1d10 hit dice is probably a tad overtuned when the other gishes with as much spellcasting are either 1d6 or 1d8.

Dilettante is just a better valor bard. The spellsword gets counter spell and the dilettante gets haste, both spells at the top of the bard's "grab with magical secrets", as well as magical secrets. Spell points give him perfect flexibility with his buffs and utility spells. It's just too much for a class that is so similar to another, already very strong class.

Protector has a lot of overlap with the stone sorcerer, but I think there's enough difference for the two to coexist.

The Savant really doesn't feel like a gish at all. It looks a lot like a tomelock with extra attack and the quickened spell metamagic. Why is this even a spellblade archetype?

For the Silencer, Spellstrike is really just another kind of smite and really doesn't have anything with what the subclass is supposed to be. Reigning in the spike potential is very important in keeping a gish from being a "do everything better than everyone else" class. Maybe tie the extra damage to casting spells in some way? I don't mind the rest of the silencer's features, though Weapon Bond alone at level 3 might be a bit weak given the EK also gets that plus casting.

Reminder that elves are degenerate.

Styx please go

>take smites as your magical secrets
>be a better paladin because you have a higher spellslot level to smite with + more castings as well as being able to self-haste

Martials are terrible

I'm putting a deck of many things into my low level campaign and you can't stop me TG.

How low level? 1-4? If so... prepare for craziness.

God for it. Should be fun.

*Go
Fucking phone

>Mfw I'm multiclassing OoA paladin and lore bard

Smites for days

Never.

Civic nationalism needs me.

I was going more along the lines of this, I forgot that guy was a thing

God that game was shit

Never played it saw the trailer and stuff and said "meh". They're coming out with another but once I saw it my first thought was "some asshat is gonna try and make a DnD character of this" I just never thought I'd get to see it live.

I don't know a single DM stupid enough to allow that

This just makes Charisma an extremely weird stat to use effectively. Say that you're playing a Tiefling. The lore says that pretty much everyone distrusts and/or hates Tieflings, but still they get charisma bonuses and typically take a Cha-based class like Warlock....So they'll probably have excellent Persuasion and Deception checks despite people being inherently distrustful of them. Logically most Tieflings should only be good at Intimidation and not so much at the rest of the Cha skills, but that's apparently not how the game works. Should you as a player then just be fair and stick to Intimidation while ignoring these other skills you're probably great at, mathematically speaking?

And although this low Charisma is there for the character you mention, and even if this is due to some disfigurement that gives him proficiency in the Intimidate skill, he's still not going to outperform a commoner in Intimidate until he's at a sufficiently high level.

I had no idea this existed, I just wanted a goblin assassin monk

>The lore says that pretty much everyone distrusts and/or hates Tieflings

Why? There is a entire race of the guys and it's not like the dragonborn were saints in the war either. I mean, any tiefling you meet is as likely be run his family bakery as he is to have any magical skill.

Looking at starting a Curse of Strahd Campaign, what is some advice for the campaign as a whole?I know to play Strahd like an asshole, but what else?

But user, a level 1 character with 8 Charisma and proficiency in Intimidation will outperform a commoner.

>using lore for 4e
user, no one likes tieflings because their grandpa was a devil from the nine hells, not because of an evil empire.

A character with 8 Charisma doesn't have 'extremely low Charisma', which I assumed was like 3 or 4.

Well, the PHB says that people close their windows and bar their doors when tieflings pass by and that they're typically only accepted in minority populations. I also remember reading somewhere that people trust half-orcs more than Tieflings.

#notalltieflings

Please not this shit again

Is fire still the worst element?

Why not? You're working within the rules of the game and it sounds awesome being some sort of angelic choir bard or whatever. They won't have the defenses, auras, hit points, CD, or Lay on Hands of an actual paladin. They'd just have stronger burst and have to burn spell slots that could've been used on strong utility options to achieve something that 2-3 other members of the party likely could have accomplished.

Yeah, Bards can do some sick stuff with Magical Secrets, but it's rarely "I'm a better X than X", more like "I'm better at X than X".

>I also remember reading somewhere that people trust half-orcs more than Tieflings.

So they'll trust a member of a race that is actively raiding places (Likely nearby at that) than someone who had an ancestor several generations ago who was a member of an evil race someone has likely never seen? Half Orcs seem like the less trustworthy group.

Giant leeches are sucking energy from a holy tree.
With the holy tree wounded, zombobos are swarming the forest.

Half orcs are dumb dumbs you might be able to bribe off, a tiefling has demon blood in its veins and is pure evil

It thematically doesn't make a lot of sense and is shameless powergaming to get higher damage, besides going against what was likely the intent for magical secrets. You're already a fucking bard, you don't need more versatility nor do you need to be better than X at X when you already could do X, Y and Z very well besides your actual role.There are DMs who ban Lore Bards altogether to avoid the whole can of worms

Is there a monk archetype built around supporting/healing others?

I have a custom 'Deck of the Trembling World' that I'm giving to my level 5 players.

Please share

>a tiefling has demon blood in its veins and is pure evil

Nothing makes teiflings inherently evil. Heck, nothing makes them inherently visible as a demon.

That's one of those weird things, Tieflings are so variable...how the hell do you tell someone IS a tiefling if you are Joe Peasant? A Succubus descended Tiefling likely looks very human and demons of all sorts are so wide-ranging that there isn't really common traits. Especially when many of those (Horns for example) traits are shaded by Fey and Fey in D&D are more often good than evil.

Not like the NPCs can read your sheet.

A buddy of mine once found a list of exotic (maybe Monk?) weapons that included a Bola that our then-DM let me have on my Monk character. I can't find any legit source for it, but I don't believe my friend would have given me unofficial homebrew stuff.

I just asked him about it again. He said he thought it was in the "monk feature section" but that it might be an Unearthed Arcana Monk thing.

Any help/ideas? Trying to get a bola on a different character now for silly flavor gimmick reasons.

>horns
>unnatural coloured skin
>tail
>unnatural coloured eyes

>nothing makes them inherently visible as a demon

There's no full descriptions of effects, I like improvisation so most of my notes are quite 'loose'.

Still, here you go.

All of those could also make you an Aasimar. The NG Celestials often have horns and tails with the animal theme.

Most D&D demons also don't have horns.

The actual race crap for the planetouched has made it clear since forever that they're just meant to be humans with something off about them from their infernal or divine ancestors.

Yet the actual drawings or characters who are tieflings never, ever show you anything else than a full on devil person with purple skin, horns and glowing fucking eyes.

5e's examples of tiefling physical characteristics give minor stuff like weird eyes or pointy teeth or even just giving people a really discomforting feeling without any other problems at all. It even says that the ones who do end up full goatman can be killed at birth by their understandably freaked the fuck out parents.

Its really bizarre, because they're not really meant to be a 'race' so to speak. They're tainted humans. Theoretically two tieflings who looked like devil people could breed and have a totally normal child. But really the tiefling phenotype seems to come out as one exact thing so fucking much you'd think they'd be able to breed true as a new species by now.

I dont really remember, but i dont think the Aassimar (?) get the same treatment.

D&D Teiflings are more variable than an X-man team. No two of them really look the same outside of 4e (Where they actually had a common origin).

How should I roleplay my cleric of Umberlee?
We have a nautical campaign coming up.

Tanquility from th UA

Is charging still a thing in 5e?

Thank you. The first tiefling I knew about was Ei-Vene, the very nearsighted, half-deaf mortician with no irises, only yellow eyes and orange pupils. She stitched up corpses with the blades on her fingers. No tail or horns, just a weird character with fiendish origins.

Rate my shitty idea for a Paladin /5eg/.

>Oath of Devotion Paladin
>Gold Dragonborn
>Name is Ladonos Vespirian
>Courage is his childhood name
>15 years old (legally an adult for a dragonborn)
>Young and naive but passionate, brave, and devoted
>Party will call him "Lad" for short
>Will be over 7 feet tall and over 300 pounds
>Noble (Knight) Background
>Two-Handed Greatsword wielder
>Entire family worships Bahamut
>Stereotypical Paladin Personality and Ideals
>Bond is that he fell madly in love with a noble woman his noble family despises
>Woman is a Tiefling
>Noble family is from a long line of knights, priests, and royal guards
>They are racist against Tiefling, the "devilblooded"
>Their family has always hated evil and fiends with a passion
>His family will call her a succubus and a demon
>Family is disappointed for shaming them like this
>Attempt to get him married to a good Dragonborn girl
>He refuses but remains loyal to his family, does not run away
>Reveals that he already asked her to marry him and that she is his fiance
>They are furious
>They come up with an idea
>Pull some strings to get her family to send her far, far away
>Spread the rumor that she was brutally murdered
>Family is tired of Lad's shit and wants him gone to stop shaming their name
>Send Ladonos out to complete some insane suicide mission / quest (haven't decided yet)
>Lad becomes somewhat warped as he realizes they want him gone
>Practically get disowned, but knows that Bahamut understands
>He sets out both to find her and complete this quest
>He knows that his family was involved with her disappearance but doesn't know how
>His flaw is martyrdom
>Seeks death in his line of duty
>Half believes the stories that his fiance was killed
>Thinks that if he dies he can be with her
>Wants to live for Bahamut and his lover but wants to die for his family and the cause of Bahamut

I'll leave any other details to the DM with otherwise full control.

Should I kill myself? /pol/ says yes.

While under the effects of your own polymorph spell and you have the Warcaster feat do you still have advantage on concentration checks?

No. You don't have the feat anymore.

There is a charger feat.

What level are you starting at?

Same with Shapechange?

So.

Character dances. Takes this pretty fucking seriously.

But is not a bard. Is a WIS-dependent caster.

I'm new to 5e: any way to get any proficient at dancing?
While I'm at it, any way to get proficient with a martial weapon?

If I understand it correctly in 5e aren't both Dragonborn and Tiefling descended from humans that were tainted with the blood of dragons and devils?

If that's true then be it Dragonborn or Tiefling they're just different sides of the same coin. Or so he'll say, anyway.

Level 1 starting campaign.

Shapechangge has this line.

> You retain the benefit of any features from your class, race, or other source and can use them, provided that your new form is physically capable of doing so.

Polymorph and True Polymorph doesn't.

I see thank you!

Take a background as an entertainer and take a proficiency in performance (dancing)

For weapon proficiency... A dip in war or tempest cleric

Path of the 4 Elements Monk is shit, but can sort of do what you want. Maybe a dex based Cleric.

user...

She was Ravel.
She was always Ravel.

Backgrounds you say...

Hmpf. Only way to get proficiency in one select weapon?

Page 130 of the PHB

Entertainer (Dancer)

The Gladiator variant allows you to replace your musical instrument (which you won't need) with an "inexpensive but unusual weapon, like a trident or net."

Depend on what weapon
That background variant only replace your free starting equipment, not proficiency.

>Campaign is wrapping up
>All but one other PC (party wizard) has pledged themselves to my character
>I have united several nations under my banner and have the only military force capable of facing down the main antagonist's forces.
>Same PC that won't ally with me spends every moment IC antagonizing my character since day 1.

Both of our characters are HUGE assholes, and my question is:
When the campaign concludes and we're wrapping up loose ends, how would you guys handle it in my position?

The DM said how we wrap up will carry over to the next campaign with our characters as NPCs. I want to eliminate him without killing his PC. Not only would it be "what my character would do" but it also gives potential for some neat plot hooks next campaign.

Inprison him, I guess.

>Frame him for a crime he didn't commit
>Imprison him in a magical mcguffin of magicalness
>Publicly shame him for some moral sin to the point where he leaves willingly in tears
>Just straight up exile him from your band. No apologies. Just "Get out. Now."

I can't suggest anything more specific since I don't have enough details about what's been happening in your campaign

Give him a wedgie in front of the entire kingdom.

Sounds like you guys are super tsundere for each other. Time to confess your love.