Is the Imperium a parody of the US?

Is the Imperium a parody of the US?
Think about it, a massive overblaoted military powerhouse that is the most powerfull entity in their respe ctive worlds running on the fumes of the great crusade(post WW2 economic boom) and with a heavilly mythologised and seemingly invincible branch of their armed forces (marines/space marines)
What is your opinion Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capirote
twitter.com/AnonBabble

its easier to list what it isnt a pastiche of
the imeprium has elements of
>nazi germany
>holy roman empire
>ussr
>russian empire
>roman empire
>british empire
>[any real world empire really]

>is this thing from a setting where every part of history is stolen based on this one civilisation that wasn't even that powerful when the writers were creating the setting

It's more of an accurate portrait of the Holy Roman Empire

Space Marines aren't inhaling burgers in the middle of battle so no.

knew several marines, can confirm they inhaled burgers mid battle to become bulletproof

>running on the fumes of ww2

*Cold War

it's got way more parallelisms with the roman empire.

I don't think there's actually anything in 40k directly inspired by the usa except for the catachan, but even those are more of a cinematic trope thing than a cultural transposition.

what cultural influence could the usa bring to 40k anyway?

I don't know if the kkk would count for this, the overall atmosphere is straight out from the european inquisitorial movements, I don't know if the hats are an exclusively American aesthetic, but I have doubts.

You are confusing yourself with Liberians and baby-back ribs.

They're not, it was an inquisition thing way back.

The Imperium of Man is just your typical ailing, stagnant hegemon which you can easily transpose onto any geopolitical situation past or present, although it mostly lends itself to western examples.
>Is the Imperium Athens?
In a way, yes.
>Is the Imperium Rome?
In a way, yes.
>Is the Imperium the HRE?
In a way, yes.
>Is the Imperium tsarist Russia?
In a way, yes.
>Is the Imperium the USA?
In a way, yes.

etc etc etc

No and why is it that Americans always try and make this analogy? The world does not revolve around you

Interview with developers (forgot with who) stated it was designed from "The worst parts of" the Roman Empire, the British Empire, and the Third Reich.

I blame education

OP here, not a burger

Then pull your head out of your arse and stop pandering to the fat cunts.

Maybe you need to spend less time watching tv, and more time travelling.

Clearly

Uh no you don't know enough about the Imperium or the US if you think its a parody of it.

Dude calm down, the thread is about how the setting is parodying the country, im not glorifying it.

In fairness, British maps centre on Europe so it's not unique to the US.

Personally I think the Imperial Guard is more akin to the late Roman Army. Still powerful and unstoppable when in large numbers, but under-funded, under-equipped, crippled by political intrique and massively overstretched.

The US military is massive but doesn't have the budget-tier equipment and huge overstretch that define the guard. The US military in it's modern form has never really had to defend it's nation's borders from an existential threat, it's really only fought expeditionary wars since it's modernisation in World War One.

If anything, the Guard would be far closer to the Red Army facing down Op Barbarossa.

How abou the marines analogy then?
>a special branch of the armed force with their own equipment
>superior training
>never give up mindset coupled with an (almost) infallible faith in the country/emperor

Japanese weapons were not better than American weapons, which is why Necrons do not equal Imperial Japan.

Also, while on the topic of the emperor i find him similar to Washington as a deified example everyone should follow, don't know if the founding fathers/primarchs analogy would work though

>the US "wasn't even that powerful" in the 1980s
wew lad

I think they're less linked to real-world forces and more a pastiche of various 'space marine' tropes.

In Rogue Trader they're far closer to the USCMC you see in Aliens, combined with powered armour from Armor or Starship Troopers.

But if you wanted a real world comparison, Janissaries maybe? A seperate corps of the Ottoman army, taken from their parents in subject kingdoms as a tithe, raised from childhood as warriors with a singular loyalty to the Sultan rather than the Empire itself, elite fighters by standards of the time.

They even raised them using a martial interpretation of Islam, so they'd fit the monastic theme of the Astartes too.

Is this meant to be a joke? Because it's not a funny one.

You're right the jannisaries do make more sense than modern marines, but as you said i compared them more with RT marines

>I don't know if the hats are an exclusively American aesthetic
Nah, it's based on the Capriote
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capirote

As for what cultural influences, yeah, you could have IG regiments based on US forces in WWII, 'nam or the Gulf and Afghan wars (which would be pretty interesting imo, seeing as there's much less mythology and iconic "look" to those wars), maybe Rough Riders based on Rough Riders.

You might have some other minor details for certain areas (the Basilica Quintangle might be a planetary or sector metonym for the IG/Departmento Munitorum fortress), but for an overall thing I don't know that there's much that would be added

Look at the filename again

>In fairness, British maps centre on Europe so it's not unique to the US.
they don't cut in half the largest continent of the planet though.

>In fairness, British maps centre on Europe so it's not unique to the US.
I thought all world maps centered on the UK

I think you can make all kinds of associations, but

A) They probably weren't intentional

B) Will be unconvincing in that "only-I-notice-this" way.

The only specific thing about US that seems to fit was the planning of the Bradley IFV, but I doubt this kind of militar bureaucratic meddling is exclusive to americans.

they actually center on the Mediterranean Sea, not on Greenwich

Imperium of Man takes a lot of the Roman Empire and Judge Dredd, both cranked up to an even worse dystopia.

Judge Dredd is a satire trying to show you that fascism is bad (though a lot of readers completely miss that point)

I mean space marines would be rangers or green beret(they paradrop and are an elite ground force) Marines are just infantry, but the navy version :)(don't ever tell a marine this if you value your teeth)

You think no other super-power has had a "bloated" and well trained military? You think the British empire didn't have a bigger military than several of the lesser world powers combines? You think they didn't command better military technology than the competition?

Maybe they miss the point because the writers keep trying to write Dredd as a good guy instead of just sticking to the satire so you end up with this weird mess.

>British maps centre on Europe
Perhaps that's because they're based on the internationally accepted Greenwich Meridian?

Well, WH40k doing the exact same thing with the Imperium sure doesn't help the confusion any.

>the US
>not even that powerful in the 80's/90's

u fukkin wot m8

You do know it's standard cartography practice to put the country that made the map at the center of the map, right?

The reason why most maps in Europe and the US have it nicely and neatly divided by hemispheres is because the person who made the map (and determined what hemispheres were) was English, and put England at the center of the maps.

THAT's the problem you have with that image?

Not even, like at all.
Having said that, there are plenty of Guardsman factions that quite clearly reflect from nations.
>Russia
Vostroyans, Valhallans.
>Germany
Krieg, Steel Legion
>US
Catachan, Elysian, Mordian
>GB
Praetorian, Tallarn, Tanith

>Mordian
Pretty sure they're prussians - yes, I know they can sometimes look like the USMC dress uniform, but their whole thing is being a big block of very brightly coloured uniforms with absolutely iron discipline.

As I said upthread though, I do think a IG regiment styled on the US Gulf/Afghan forces might be cool

Mordian are more prussia napoelonic era infantry.
Cadian may either be modern or ww2 American infantry coupled with the look of mobile infantry

Cadians are their own thing. Other regiments are obviously based on something specific, while Cadians are pretty much your generic space soldiers.

Hmmmm

Chemdogs = Australia?

You can see it that way: even with resolute good guy dedicating themselves to their cause, things are still shit because the system is fundamentally shit.

>tfw Veeky Forums is now so ignorant of history they don't know what the Holy Roman Empire was

Elysians are France
Cadians are Canada
Mordians are Serbia

No because the US spends big bucks on individual troops/tech and will piss blood if anything larger than a squad gets taken out within a given month.

Pardon?

Sure, except for those parts of the Imperium that are parodies of the Rome, Middle East, Russia, Britain, China, Mongolia, Australia...

>Catholic Space Nazi's
>Catholic Nazi's
>Catholic
>Nazi
>Hitler and the Nazi's surpressed and even tried to forbid religion during their rise to power, "the state is our religion" mantra

Fuck, do you even history, bro? How the fuck did you come up with this. Who the fuck tauht you that Nazi's were religious? Where the fuck did you go to school?

m8, I saw images of WW1 Serbians with spot on uniforms, up to the hat
Elysians are so French the laugh in baguette
And MarPat is copy of the CadPat, not the other way around. Canada actually used to have competent army, prior to the Weedman

>Elysians are France
>Cadians are Canada
>Mordians are Serbia
What? I mean, Elysians I somewhat understand, even though they have nothing to do with France other than bullpup rifles, but the rest?

Cadia and Canada both begin with a "C", that's all I guess.

It also takes a lot of elements from the Terran Empire in Nemesis the Warlock.

Though Torquemeda inspired the Eldar more in visual aspects.

Have you considered that the adjective may be indicating an additional quality rather than an inherent one here?

marines arnt even infantry, they are the cannon meat and dirty job guys. I found it for the longest time funny how the marines have built this hyper-macho warrior culture (that is even more homo-erotic than the one in the army) but then i realized that without that no one in their right mind would join them

>Space
>Nazi
>Hitler and the Nazi's (sic) didn't even make it into orbit, much less the moon

I think you might be drunk user

Part of me wants to try and disprove your point, but I have to admit, you're mostly right. We are used for the shit jobs (And we do them pretty damn well), cannon fodder I don't necessarily agree with just due to your cannon fodder being more limited in number but you are spot on about the gay bit. I mean, I watched a guy eat a sausage out of another's asshole yesterday so... Yeah, it's gay.

by cannon fodder i mean that you guys will be frown face first into, with little regard for your safety and are expected to haul ass to the objective while killing or getting killed by everything from goat fuckers to anthills that your buddy bet you 20 dollars that you wont shove your hand into. I mean, i have some respect for you guys, but if i was given a choice between getting enrolled in the marines or having to take a russian special unit traning, i'd probobly try to live through the russians

Can you elaborate on the sausage/ass eating part please?

So, first for the sausage bit...
Basically, you take a bunch of Marines, give them next to zero supervision and most of their entertainment comes in the bodily form... eventually something is going to happen involving somebody's dick or ass. In this case the latter happened. Somebody was no-balls'd to stick a sausage up their ass, which led to one of the other guys getting dared to eat the sausage out of his ass. It was entertaining, and I'm certain the video is floating around somewhere.
Anyway, on a straighter note, you certainly have a point as far as the cannon fodder bit, as far as your interpretation of it. We are trained to run towards gunfire and make sure it stops making that racket. Also right about the anthill, except it was my ass in the anthill and it was for a can of dip, but whatever.

dont do that user, this is a tip from a biologist, there is shit in the middle east that can hurt you a lot lot more than your every day fire ant, you seem like a fun guy who i'd be happy to play a game if i ever stop by the usa for a conference, and i dont think that death due to being biten in the ass by ants is a fitting end for anyone

While, I greatly appreciate the sentiment, this was just your run of the mill, North Carolina pain in the ass (literally) fireant. Unfortunately, haven't gotten the opportunity to stick my ass over any foreign fireant hills.

No, it's a parody of the HRE, the Roman Empire, the third Reich, the British Empire, Britain under thatcher, Dune, and a million other things

>you could have IG regiments based on US forces in WWII, 'nam
I need it. I hate the Catachan look but I'd dig this so fucking hard.

40K is few british fellows idea of Star Wars through a dark mirror. Since then it changed.

Canada was called Acadia back when it was a French colony.

The imperium was based on the Dark Ages of Europe after the fall of the Roman Empire. This is why a monotheistic empire was the successor to the polytheistic Eldar. It was meant to symbolize the end of pagan society in Western Civilization and the rise of Christ. Eldar represent pagan Western Civilization (focused mainly around Europe and the Near East). Emperor was the Christ. He came and died, but everyone believes he will be back some day. 40k originally was meant to convey the grimdark atmosphere where Christian Europe was beset on all sides by invasion from outsiders, largely muslims, and how at many times there was little hope.

Many references are very easy to see. The Ultramarines represented Greek Byzantium, the Imperial Fists were the Holy Roman Empire, the Dark Angels were the Hebrews, the Space Wolves were the newly Christianized Scandinavians, the White Scars were a mixture of Hungarians/Mongols (Hungarians became a Christian kingdom in the Middle Ages), etc. The Thousand Sons were originally for the Emperor but fell to daemonic worship. This represents the fall of Christian Egypt to the muslims in the 600's. Organizations like the Inquisition are pretty plain types of influence to understand.

Dude the Imperium is everything.

Mordian uniform is identical to uniform of Serbian infantry from the WW1. That is a fact. USMC dress looks barely like it, and army blues not at all.
Also, Elysian drop troopers look like the French future soldier project FÉLIN
I will give you that Cadians looks like the mobile infantry from Starship Troopers more than anything else.

This. This thread is dildos.

Game is created by Brits...main guard army is Canadians.

>HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA!

>what cultural influence could the usa bring to 40k anyway?
rough riders.

mordions literally look exactly like US marines in dress uniform.

By the Emperor! Mordians literally look exactly like Serbian infantry in dress uniform.

Marine here, nah. They don't look anything like dress blues.

>Game is created by Brits...main guard army is Canadians.
This. Anyone who's seen a Canadian soldier in their armour knows it's true.

>Is the Imperium a parody of the US?
No, are you retarded/american?

I dunno, man. Dark jacket, light trousers, red trim, white gloves, peaked caps...

What about the Landwehr?

>Says "thing"

>Says "I have actual experience about thing, and I'd say not-thing."

>Says thing again

Never change, Veeky Forums...

You literally take that infantryman far right in give him epaulets of the officer standing to his right, and peaked cap of the general with glasses, and you have a goddamn uniform of the Mordian Iron Guard. That actually looks like uniform of the iron guard, unlike the heer, landwehr, or marines, where the coats are all fastened in the middle.

The Mordian jacket isn't fastened diagonally like the Removekebabian one.

You're also forgetting that that type of fatigues were pretty much universal across the Guard back in 2e. Cadians, Mordians, Praetors, etc. all wore pretty much the same fatigues with different shoulders, headgear, etc. Tallarn, Valhallan and Steel Legion wore longer jackets. Catachan had just vests.

Unless you're arguing that all 2e Guard uniforms were based on the Serbians...

Go argue with GW then. 2nd edition Mordian artillery had red jackets and white pants.

>Go argue with GW then.

Why?

They also don't blow all their money on an overprice pick up and marry a fat woman.

Americans make the analogy in a way that makes the Imperium look good.
People who have this strange hate-boner for Americans make the analogy in a way that makes the Imperium look worse than it is.

Because Mordian iron guard on official art still looks like the Serbian infantry, despite people deliberately painting them as US marines or the Prussians.

>looks like the Serbian infantry

If you give them peaked caps, change the jacket and give them epaulets, among other changes.

>people deliberately painting them as US marines or the Prussians.

You mean people like GW themselves?

I tend to liken the USMC to things like the Revolutionary Guard, Red Guard, or Waffen SS, etc. They're the "other army." Founded on a more ideological basis than the regular army, and in some cases older than the nation itself and directly linked to its creation, generally has to compete with the regular army, usually with greater focus on aggression and motivation while often lacking in equipment compared to the regular army, and usually celebrated with more fanfare as they're seen as a more evident manifestation of the nation's ideals.

>Is the Imperium a parody of the US?

The Imperium is a pardoy of 1960s & 1970s meddling sci if cultures like the federation from star trek and its knock offs.

Amazingly, I've never seen Japanese elements in the Imperium. I always wanted to run a Japan inspired imperial guard force.

In b4 weeb.

Ninja Temple Assassins, Samurai Space Marine, and IJA IG regiment.

Serbian dress uniform is the closets thing there ever will be. Prussian or USMC jackets looks completely different.
Epaulets are there too. Just Mordians wears the officer epaulets regardless their rank.
And the peaked cap is identical. It's not my problem, that most of the Serbian officers on the painting got depicted wearing the winter cap.

Also, when the official art shows Mordian Iron Guards wearing the Serbian colors, I can't care less how anybody else, or even the GW itself, paints the miniatures.

It was originally an extremely unsubtle satire of Thatcher-era Britain.