GURPS General /GURPSGEN/

Zombie Prepper Edition

I'm the user working on the custom tiny 'bot system that uses scaled-down Spaceships rules. I tried making a powered battlesuit and ended up with something comparable to TL9 Powered Combat Armor on my first try (with some exceptions, namely that the ST for the battlesuit was INSANE and needs serious scaling). I'm pretty happy with the results though.

If anyone want me to try and make a 'bot or battlesuit, throw ideas my way and I'll stress test my system.

Please do Lancelot from Code Geass.

Tachikoma!

Ive done the math

The best shotgun that a normal person can have is a Winchester 1901

How would one stat a golf ball sized floating ball?

I can't even begin to think of all the stuff needed to make this work

A regulation golf ball is 1.680". Falling between 1.5" and 2" on the SSR (B550), we take the higher value, for a base SM of -9. We then add +2 to the SM as it's a sphere, so total SM is -7. A regulation golf ball can weigh up to 1.620 oz., which is 0.10125 lbs. Using the formula for homogenous objects gives us 4HP. There's your golf ball's stats. Maybe give it DR 1 because it's some sort of rubber or something, I don't know. If you want it to float, that's just a natural property of golf balls in your setting, for whatever reason.

If you meant a golf ball that's a character, a la psychic blueberry muffin, just go look that thing's statblock up and modify it slightly for being a golfball.

Sounds like I need to invest points into engineering, machining, and armory (small arms) to make a 10 gauge version of the USAN.

I'll try, but no promises as everything I've converted is TL9 because that's what the campaign I was going to use this in is going to run.

Actually, the weight of the Lancelot sets it at about SM+4; enough armor systems can reduce it to SM+3 (Pyamid #3/34), and I'd argue that the lancelot, like most mechs, it pretty stocky, justifying a 5 yd. tall SM+3 mech.

Tachikoma's coming up right after that and should be a bit easier too.

So here's a question

In point blank range does a Winchester shot deal 12d-6, or does it deal 12d-1?

12d-6.

11d-2 or 10d+1

See this is why the Winchester 1901 beats the spas 12
Spas 12 3x4d+4
Average = 48

Winchester 2x12d6-6
Average = 60

USAS will cream both, but you have to be really good at shotguns

I love you gurps

Those make it even better, both 62

Anyways take the mare's leg variant it weighs less.

Shotguns are super good at killing unarmoured targets. Like zombies or civilians.

The average for this monster would be 186.

It's a weapon of mass destruction.

Well, if you stat up something like a Browning BPS 10 gauge or other modern 10 gauge able to handle 3 1/2" magnum shells with smokeless powder you'd have a real goddamn monster.

I just said "fuck it" and made it a SM+4 TL11^ mecha; I couldn't fit in enough armor to warrant the SM decrease. I also couldn't figure how to best handle the grappling hooks as a battery, so I'm hoping the cargo I left is enough for the Lancelot's hand-held weapons as well as mounting four grapnels on it.

Front
1-2 2x Robot Arms; $200k
3 Tactical Sensor Array; $100k
4! Force Screen (Heavy, Partial, dDR45); $500k
5-6 Armor, Diamondoid, dDR17; $200k
Central
[c] Control Room; $20k
1-2 Cargo Hold (1 ton capacity)
3-4 Energy Banks (32PPH); $200k
Rear
[c] Antimatter Power Plant (4PP); $200k
1-2!Wheeled Drivetrain; $6k
3-4!2x Robot Legs; $200k
Armor has been multiplied as per Pulver's "Alternate Spaceships."

That's soft of what I'm working toward with my current GURPS character. 10 gauge autoshotgun because why not?

Also you get the massive damage at .1 of your range.

Most shotguns have a range of 40 yards

You can murder everything in 12 feet

You can also just buy slugs.

Slugs, flechettes, and since 10 gauge is 20mm, you start to get some nifty warhead capacity at TL9.

What page is the slugs on
Can seem to find it

What is the best range "C" melee weapon in your opinion?

talons

High Tech p166.

High Tech page 166.

>Solid (TL3) A solid bullet is the baseline projectile for most small arms and early artillery. At TL3-5, it’s a ball of soft lead for small arms, while artillery fires cast-iron or stone balls. At late TL5, it’s a lengthened and streamlined projectile of hard lead. At TL6-8, it is a streamlined lead or steel projectile, enclosed in a sheath of metal such as copper alloy; this is known as “full metal jacketed” (FMJ). Rifled Slug (TL6). This solid subtype is used in shotguns. Germany’s Brenneke company introduced it in 1898, but it was uncommon in America before the 1950s. Multiply buckshot damage by four. Change damage type to pi++ for shotguns of 20-gauge and larger, or to pi+ for shotguns smaller than 20-gauge (and remember that the higher the gauge, the smaller the bore – see Calibers,pp.161-163). Add +1 Acc. Multiply buckshot 1/2D by 2.5, Max by 1.5. Remove any multiplier after RoF. A slug can be further modified by other projectile options (e.g., Frangible, p. 167, and Baton, p. 168).

Can be combined with..

>Extra-Powerful (+P) Ammunition (TL4) Most multi-part or fixed ammunition can be given an extra-powerful propellant charge to eke out higher damage and better range. Such “hot” ammo mainly sees use in sidearms – typically with solid, hollow-point, AP, or APHC projectiles – but other rounds can be handloaded (p. 174) to similar effect with the Armoury (Small Arms) skill. Powder-and-shot weapons can be loaded as the shooter sees fit, but he must make an Armoury (Small Arms) roll or an IQ-based Guns roll at -2 to stay within his weapon’s safe limits. Most TL5-6 firearms – and cheap-quality TL7-8 guns – aren’t designed to withstand such increased pressure in prolonged service: -1 to Malf. Automatic weapons are often sensitive to changes in propellant; they, too, may suffer Malf. penalties, and RoF is likely to increase. Multiply Dmg, Range, and ST by 1.1. Multiply CPS by 1.5.

>Example: A “Kentucky rifle” (p. 107) does 4d-1 pi+. By increasing the powder charge, it could do 13 ¥ 1.1 = 14.3, divided by 3.5 = 4.09 or 4d pi+ (see Adjusting Damage, p. 166). ST would increase to 9† ¥ 1.1 = 9.9 or 10†.

Hey guys, does anyone have that Pyramid about mecha creation? I seem to have lost it.

"Modular Mecha" is in Pyramid #3/51 Tech and Toys III.

It seems like a normal shotgun will still deal more damage

And is a lot cheaper

Thanks friend!

You'd think that. Until you're up against things with more than a point or two of DR you'd maybe even be right. But slugs do Pi ++ which makes them pretty impressive against anything without injury tolerance.

How much WW2 stuff does High Tech have?

Does it have info on tanks and planes as well as guns?

How about a SM +1 TL 9 heavy battlesuit?

So we use the shotgun for unarmored targets.

What weapons are good at fighting armored targets TL 8

It has weapons from the 1800s through WW1, 2, the Cold War, and on up to the early 2000s. So pretty much most of the WW2 stuff you're gonna find in Gurps is in High Tech.

There's two WW2 fighters, two WW2 tanks, and a few jeeps and trucks.

Shotgun with slugs is good for armored targets at TL8. You can use AP slugs you know? Or APDS. Since shotgun rounds are larger than rifle and pistol rounds, you don't do pi- damage, Pi or Pi+ with an armor divisor of (2) and so on.

Shotguns are very flexible, especially the ones that feed from magazines and allow you to switch ammo types quickly.

Thanks.

There's WW2 books for 3rd ed but I presume the stats will need to be converted? Is that a pain?

Another question is does the Spaceships book have information on how to make spaceships?

I don't know anything about third edition, sorry.

And yeah, the Spaceships book tells you how to build spaceships.

That's what I ended up with; I tried making a SM+2 walker, but ended with something much closer to Ultra-Tech's PCA.

Front
1-6 Armor, Advanced Metallic Laminate, 90DR; $12k
[c] Cargo (100 lb.)
Central
1 Battlesuit; $2k
2 Energy Banks (4PPH); $10k
3-4 2 Robot Arms; $20k
5-6! 2 Robot Legs; $20k
[c] Cargo (100 lb.)
Rear
1-6 Armor, Advanced Metallic Laminate, 90DR; $12k

Armor & Volume
12 sections of armor; DRx1.8, SM-1

Armor by Facing
For humanoid shapes, add all DR from armor systems together, then divide by three. 2/3 of this quotient is applied to the torso, and 1/3 is applied to limbs/head.
90+90=180/3=60*1.8=108
DR=70/35

Final Stats: SM+1; DR 70/35; $76,000 before gadgets; ST 70

Compared to the Powered Combat Armor
+MUCH stronger; could probably do this with either a smaller base size or take Robot Arms from one SM smaller.
+Slightly cheaper
~As durable
-MUCH shorter duration

Got sidetracked while statting out the tachi'. I'll post it as soon as I finish.

>I presume the stats will need to be converted?
not a lot of that really; 3rd ed mostly stayed the same except for some specific character point costs. I'd advise using the 3rd ed book for direction and the high tech book for stat blocks. Those old books are golden and chock full of stat-free material

Does anyone happen to to have the Mars Attacks PDF yet?

I think the tonfa might be the best weapon
It deals both sw and thr cr damage and has a C version.

Is there anything better? TL 8 please

Long knives (or machetes, if you're poorfagging) deal cutting damage, which is a better wounding modifier for making things die than crushing.

Any reliable way to make explosives in the apocalypse.
Is it sane to make a character based around grenades?

Winchester 1901. Deals pi, pi++ or cr damage.

Reliable and sane? No. Fun? Oh most definitely. Just be sure to take gadgeteer, scrounging, chemistry, and maybe demolitions (explosives) to cover your bases.

Black powder grenades with friction fuses aren't that hard to make and are very cheap, GURPS wise. You can build a character around building and throwing those.

Better grenades are harder to get, but not impossible.

ST 70 does seem really high but that is cool. I like it

With crit successes and failures.
Do you think a character who is sneaky for there defense would be worth it?

Also how would you stat a 4 gauge shotgun?

Depends. Realistically speaking..

4 Gauge blunderbuss

Damage 1d pi, ROF 1x18, shots 1(20), weight 13, cost 220, ST 13

How do you make a superhumanly charimatic character(for a superhero game?)
How do you make a character that makes crazy inventions?

There is the gadgeteer advantage in the base set, with a couple of pages of invention rules if you want that level of detail. A supers game would probably take 'quick gadgeteer' and a bunch of other helpful advantages...wealth, a base of operations (workshop) etc.

Or you can just go the simpler route and give them a higher TL and a few pieces of signature equipment to represent cool pieces of tech. This is less work, but not really inventing things.

Wouldn't it be something more like 1x24
I mean 10 and 12 gauges aren't that different size-wise but they possess hugely different stats.
1x9 compared to 1x13

But I also did some math
6x18 1d+1 pi average damage = 216

6x24 1d+1 pi average damage = 288

How would make a character built on brainwashing and subtle mind control?

Is it even worth it?

Mind probe
And a gm without moral conpunctions

I'd focus on the idea that you are a spider in the web. Lots of Allies, some with Unwilling to represent people you can activate and use. Disposable people you use and throw away. Kidnap people and reprogram them to turn them into more of your sleepers.

This kind of character could be a lot of fun. Allies and contacts, more then your own skills and combat abilities.

>I use RPM

>What did he mean by this?

>ritual path magic allows me to fulfill my character concept in an elegant and balanced manner

Does anyone have the GURPS WW2 pdf or the WW2 Dogfaces pdf?

I'd also like to ask if there's components to add onto the Character Assistant for these pdfs?

>Why yes, I did buy two copies of GURPS Thaumatology - Ritual Path Magic just to support the creator of this wonderful balanced system

Is GURPS balanced? I'm asking for a friend.

No.
Balance is for girls, manly man's don't need balance.

But how can you have fun without balance?

Just kidding. I actually love GURPS, I was just testing you GURPS Gen. You pass.

If you mean "does every character build have the same combat efficiency?" - No.
If you mean "does every character template have same combat efficiency within their genre book?" - No. Although DF tries to make everyone equally useful in dungeon crawling, Action heroes have much wider range of tasks to solve.
If you mean "is gurps flawless and does it have no issues?" - No. There are weird pricing here and there, but overall it works and does it very well. I'd rather fix couple issues that may pop up in my campaign with GURPS than try to houserule the shit out of other system.

What cases does Arm DX apply to which High Manual Dexterity does not?

Shooting a gun.
Using a sword.
Punching a bitch
Juggling.

All Combat Skills are explicitly not affected by eithet, though. I guess Juggling it is.

Arm DX is a terrible advantage and nobody should ever take it. HMD is pretty good, if somewhat limited.

This week on Grimwyld..

>An unconformable gather in a dingy shack that was once a mill. A witch leaning over a cauldron that bubbled without any flame, her table set with rotting food. She spoke of Fae Horrors that would overwhelm the world if the hole ripped between worlds by the Ansible of Spirits was not repaired.
>Sleepy players tried to kudgle their brains into action enough to deiced what to do next.
>Lots and lots of talk about what to do next while a storm grew outside, turning day into night and filling the sky with eerie green lightning and black spirits. Suddenly screams from outside drew the heroes out to confront a blood-marked elf on a giant Roc, a massive bird. He'd had the bird torturing an ogre for information with it's talons.
>Fuck that guy. He was shot with arrows, bullets, and a near miss with a huge fucking harpoon. His backup arrived in the form of more elf or half elf furies, people using shadow weapons and possessed by spirits. One was shot by Elf Archer and lightning slinging killer, three others blasted with a cone of fire by noblemen, mage and swordsman guy that spread his points around widely and the last few were scattered when the resident big fucking beast-man tried and maybe succeeded at using Exorcism to drive out the spirits they were using/possessed by.
>Party walks over to the Ogre and recognizes him as someone that was a PC like a year ago. He's surprised to be healed.
>Roll Credits
>Next week on Grimwyld: Shower scene with Roderick.
>Pic Related: Slyviss in the made for CW TV show version of the story.

>only just got the Basic Set books, just started and already I'm in love

How would tech 10 look like if it could not use robots and ai at all?

>Vanilla Magic and Sorcery just lack the flexibility, flavor, and balance of RPM. I pity those who still use those systems.

>Everyone was fucking tired
OMG, and here I thought I was being obtuse. Doesnt help I had the wrong map up for an hour too :P
You guys are so patient with me

Play Sins of a Solar empire Tec faction, or some Stellaris. TL10 is pretty much the same with or without robots. If you have enough automation, you get slaves and efficient combat controls for your ships, etc. Without them, humans are at the controls most of the time.

So, the "100 points on Guns" guy is finally doing the Telegraphic Shitposting (+4 to shittiness, +2 to ignoring it)?

How fine GURPS work for highly wuxia realism?
Like in Hero or Crouching Tiger, where dozen yards jumping, walking on water, fight on polearm shafts while footmans trying to fight with them, but every one still understading they just fragile humans, no plot armor and other thing

Don't forget that he's going All-Out (Multi-Post), so that's a lot more posts to roll to resist.

It does that fine enough, but you need to know what you're doing. You just keep stats reasonable (10-16, more for ST, 12 for HT+Fit/Very Fit) and make skills and cinematic abilities prominent. Allow Enhanced Defenses, everyone has to have Combat Reflexes, probably 360 vision. Main combat skills should be 20+ at the least. All suitable powers are bought with Chi, -10%. Possibly also requiring a Will roll to activate some powers. Don't allow DR beyond a few points, allow unarmed attacks without the disadvantage of being hit when someone parries you with a weapon (either for free, or as part of Trained by a Master, perhaps increasing its cost if necessary.)

So I did math
Every two gauges you go down increases damage by +3
This would give a 4d+1 to damage for a 4 gauge shotgun

The rof modifier goes up by 4 every two gauges leaving us with a 1x25

So a single shot shotgun with 4 gauge shells would do

4d+1 pi 1x25 damage or an average of 156 damage

At first i was thinking about Exalted, but tmuch ppl advice to use GURPS for that
>know what you're doing
Trying to do TL5 Wuxia Dark Ages Europe, where musou-style line infantry armies marching on each other, while swoosh jumping officers clinching in grace swordfight on spearshafts and muskets barrels in hands of infantry, under sky where ironclads try to broadside each other.
>keep stats reasonable
>combat skills should be 20+ at the least
Yeah, PCs got stats around 12-14, and combat skills 17-18, with WM/TBAM
>suitable powers
I'm thinking about make powers as skills. Any way many of them which is not attacks are suitable for that.
>Don't allow DR beyond a few points
Why? PCs already get cuirasses for DR5 and some mail sleeves

And how good Imbuements for that?

Reverse grip dagger or short sword of choice.

At that point, it's just a small cannon full of grapeshot

I meant DR as the Advantage, not as in bought and worn armor.

They need higher skills than that if you want them to be able to fight multiple opponents on their own at once. 25-30 is a better range for their main combat skills, even then being ganged up on can still fuck you up, since the enemies just need one lucky critical and you might be eating penalties, or even be in threat of being knocked out.

Imbuements work reasonably well. They can also be a very nice one-size-fits-all approach to qi abilities if you include Defensive Imbuements (Pyramid #3/4) and Vehicular Imbuements (#3/71). Vehicular imbuements is of special note; this category includes your all-purpose buffs and general non-attack abilities like flight, insubstantiality, water-walking, etc.; just have Mount imbuements apply to users directly.

>DR as the Advantage
Oh, in that way, i gave them ablative dr to soak 14d of bullet damage per day.
>fight multiple opponents
GURPS doesn't have some sort of magnitude system for one VS many like that in wh40k:dw or exalted 3e?
>enemies just need one lucky critical
Well, in such way, players suck anyway...

You gain a penalty to your parry for each successive one until your next turn, though if they have high Dodge they can use that instead without a penalty. I believe it is a -4, or -2, not sure. But take 5 attacks and even at -2 that's -10 to parry.

Mars Attacks pdf anyone?

I wish someone would just stat picrelated

1d10+1, Pen 0, Scatter, Reliable.

That's not a /40krp/ thread tho.

How does one make a superhero combat effective in under 100 points?

Any unknown but cool combat powers?

Superhero at less than 100 points?

Uhh...

80 points in Rifle user? It's finally your time to shine.

Invisibility.
Insubstantiality.
Super Luck (limitations as appropriate) and as many levels of Luck as you can afford.

My 100 point superhero isn't 100 points but rather 300

However I spent 100 points on social stuff and another 100 for skills

Do you think I could spend 100 points on terror?

I have weapons but do you think I could just scare opponents away?

Post your sheet.

Enhanced move?

Regeneration with Bane (Burning) to cut the cost down, sharp claws, points in stealth. At 200 points an under a Super can be brought down by a prepared mundane character in many cases, but that's not a bad thing. It's cool that The Punisher can keep up with Daredevil.

Do you think there is a point to optimizing terror?