What could you call space money aside from credits...

What could you call space money aside from credits? It's an iridium based currency and while this isn't the biggest issue I'm facing it's still bugging me

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/53088858/#53088858
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/47569618/#47569618
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/44960404/#44960404
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/44399372/#44399372
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/39571721/#39571721
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/29391165/#29391165
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/51587601/#51587601
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/48633512/#48633512
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/46402781/#46402781
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/43706091/#43706091
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quasi_Universal_Intergalactic_Denomination
projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/money.php
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Spacebux

Creduts
Credots
Credats
Credets

Credlets

Ridis

Galactickets.

Universal Currency; UC

And of course have it not be the universes' main currency. Because someone had high hope and not enough political leverage to enforce it anywhere but the section you started in.

Genitourinary Wash-Dollars

Spacecash

Hmm, Iridium is found in natural platinum, so how about Plats.

Debits

archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/53088858/#53088858
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/47569618/#47569618
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/44960404/#44960404
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/44399372/#44399372
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/39571721/#39571721
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/29391165/#29391165
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/51587601/#51587601
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/48633512/#48633512
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/46402781/#46402781
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/43706091/#43706091

Chitz

bucks
paper
credits
kazoos
slinkies
slim jims
searchlights
brexits

Space Euros

United States Dollars (no relation)

Yuan

Due to an unpredictable turns of events from thousands of years ago people pay for things in Australian Dollars. no one knows what Australia is anymore.

(Standard) Units
Chits
Wagers
Bucks
Galactic Dollars
Any number of custom setting-specific words (just google "fictional currency")

Citadel Fun Bucks

Space Sheckles

Nega-Sheckles

Buckazoids.

Elslaves.
Waddoos?

Space Pesos

Really adding to the quality of the board there. Great job.

I-Notes
Also is this a universal currency or just the one the players (assuming you're a GM) will be in contact with the most.

Brouzouf. Starbucks. Thrones. Gelt. Obols.

Star Shekels

Voidbenjis

Galactic Greenbacks

Neo-Loot

Lucre or Lucretes.

Loans, It's all loans, everything must be paid for later and must accrue a certain amount of interest before it can be paid off.

Spondulix. It's the perfect word for money.

Space bitcoins or space rubles. Spubles.

Serious answer, go off of something related to opals because iridium/iridots were an archaic name for them, so maybe something like oplchits or op credits.

Hypersmackers

Warp Wads

Megaquids

Airfares, it's not the price of a flight in the future, but what everyone calls money because they buy oxygen for ships, and planets undergoing terraforming.

qatloos

>A dystopian future where the only remaining currency of any value whatsoever is Facebook likes

Spesos, if you will

Since they are a symbolic means of exchange, they are referred to as "tokens", or tokes for short.

In the far flung future, a government system so named 'Perfected Tyranny' came to control all Biological Intelligent Communal Organisms; or aka BICOs.

This government system is perfect, and was created by both the most creative organic minds along with the most advanced and powerful machine ones. Perfected Tyranny is the only government system that allows for strong centralization to fight a war against the solar-energy based beings that hate life (SICOs) as well as personal liberty to each member.

It's currency? Oxygen, or Oxy. Every living things need it to survive, to synthesize water, and many other uses. It's perfect.

(((They)))bait

Dosh, or alternatively Spacedosh.

>future

Take out the first letter of whatever material it's made out of like Star trek DS9 did with latinum, so you'd use strips of ridium

>latinum

Once we start mining asteroids Platinum will pave cities

Venezuela was ahead of its time as it turns out. Rare Pepes, Dogecoins and Memes are the currency of the future.

Double dollars

Rep

Universal currency

c'mon guys... debits are safer than credits

Isk

AnCaSh

Ukes
Bits
Bytes
Cryps
Codes
Stans
Stacs
U-Creds
Sigs
Idens
Dragons
Ags
Gold

How do you do fellow spreadsheet sociopath?

on that note, assuming a spacefaring civilization, would palladium actually work as a way to back a currency?
"alladium" doesn't sound too awful

>Iridium based
Why not just call them Irs? Fun little pun with the I.R.S. too

What's backing it? What sort of culture is behind the currency?

Well, here's where you get into a bit of a problem; if we're going to be communicating with alien species at all, and want to conduct trade, our universal currency would need a universal name, including a sound that the aliens can make.

I suggest Blorps

We call 'em dollarydoos.

Altarian dollar, triganic pu (and ningi)

(You)'s

have you thought about the origins of the currency?

it usually helps

There's no money because nobody works, and the economy is managed by self-aware machines. Humans suck at space and governing themselves.

Basic Universal Credit/Broad Universal Currency

Colloquially known as BUCs, or bucks.

Pretty good. Having a bit of fun hull tanking in wormhole space for shits and gigs.

>be me
>be adventure capitalist
>conquer and enslave primitive planet of shamanic tribes
>dose them all with high-end designers hallucinogens and hook them up to a meme engine to produce top quality expensive memes from their collective unconscious
>corpsec mercenary team infiltrates my operation and links it up the 9GAG A.I.
>slaves useless
>memes useless
>no hope of recouping my cost
>have to sell them all to a brainstem researching collective for a few rare pepes just so I can pay to have the 9GAG trending queue removed from my dreams

>voidbenis

crypto-unified-numeric-tradings

Brouzouf.

Rids

fpbp

(Iridium-backed) Distribution notes

AKA I.D.N., D. Notes, Dinos, Ridbacks, or just Cash.

Space Zimbabwe Dollars.
[spoilers]They aren't worth shit[/spoiler]

Different fatguy here, and yeah it's always good to know our history.

QUIDS

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quasi_Universal_Intergalactic_Denomination

Buckazoids.

Salt

>starbucks
Dirk Benedict, or Katee Sackhoff?

Moon Doubloons

Iridimes

Quasi Universal Intergalactic Denomination (QUID)

Call them Munzes, which means Coin in German.

This guy gets it

I don't know the name of every currency, but I don't know of a single one that's named "currency". If you don't want to go with Credits then none of the suggestions in this thread will help you either. Come up with the name of a place or person several thousand years before your game starts, mutate that name several times as it moves through languages, and that's the name of your currency.

For example "Dollar" comes from:
Joachimsthal
Rijksdaalder
Daler
Dollar
Literally "Joachim's Valley", a place in the now Czech Republic where the silver for the coins was mined.

Since planets often tend to replace cities in scifi, pick the planet the iridium is mined on and use that. If you want to go for a more feudal scifi flavor (the best of both worlds) you could have everybody using iridium money that's named after the planet it's mined on, or named after the local ruler.

Iridium is has a high frequency in asteroids as well. "Asters" has a nice ring to it.

Buckazoids

Fuck me I'm dumb today.
Alright, let's try that again:
Bucks, Coins, Bits, in a 1:4:16 ratio.
00000001: 1 Bit
00000100: 4 Bits/1 Coin
00010000: 16 Bits/4 Coins/1 Buck
01000000: 64 Bits/16 Coins/4 Bucks
10000000: 128 Bits/32 Coins/8 Bucks
Anything that can be written in eight bits is called Change. Anything that needs more is called Cash.

Spocks

projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/money.php

I'd play it.

Ultra Dosh

Scrip

Sheckels
Shecks
Sheckees

ISK.

Joules.

USD

United States Dollars.

Alternatively, the Yuan, Ruble, Yen...

Alternative Alternatively, the African Union Dollar, the Federation Dollar, Imperial Pounds...

As long as it's not Iridium-based since Iridium is way too useful. Have it be backed by something stably valuable and not as eminently useful (which means gold may or may not work, depending on how well people handled finding a shitload of motherlodes on asteroids).

Thaler or Argent, as the Thaler or "Peso de Ocho" was an almost universally accepted Spanish currency and was made of Silver.

This ain't EVE online

Data.

I-bills

metal-based.. .. ..

large denominations named plates or PL, almost always limited to exchanges between banks and various financial institutions. The bank, private or government-backed, would issue Slice or SL (alternately known as slips, slivers, some lie or flats) backed by the Plates they held in reserve. A Slice would usually be issued at a fractional value of many thousandths of a Plate. In theory a pile of Slice could be exchanged for a Plate or at least the fraction of it's worth in real metal but this is what is known as a financial understanding, IE a lie.

There is a little bit of currency trading, computerized brokers shifting seas of Slices around electronically as various financial institutions (various money backers) experienced tiny fluctuations in exchange rate due to perceptions of trustworthiness and value.