sgiz.mobi/s3/dbadf27c707b

>5etools:
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Resources Pastebin:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previously, on /5eg/:
What are tips and tricks you wish you had been told when you first started DMing?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=yuMH-PKbr34&
orig10.deviantart.net/0cda/f/2015/249/0/c/tariel___world_map_by_levodoom-d8tuvvp.png
paranatural.net/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I'm making a Wizard. What school should I specialize in? What's your favorite school of magic? Is illusion actually useful like the Treantmonk guide says, or should I stick to blasting?

Meme answer: LEL DIVINER xD
Real nigga answer: Transmuter

Don't blast. You're a CC / utility class. If you can't figure out a way to kill every creature in the room with a spell that doesn't even do damage, you need to apply yourself.

Why/how is transmutation useful?

Did treantmonk start writing 5e guides?

Still looking for feedback on my first campaign.

When you become a man who can kill every creature in the room with spells that don't even do damage, you'll understand.

Yeah and they're fucking awful.

Illusion is only good if you are level 14

Abjuration and Spellsinger good if you want a tankier wizard

Diviner is pretty good, solid for anything you want

As with every DM you've designed a massive world with huge over arching plots that a level 1 party would have no way to deal with and forgot to include any gameable content.

All you actually need

>A village
>A nearby dungeon

Are there any good 5e guides?

Of course, that's the next step, actually making towns and shit for them to start with. I wanna lead up to it, and have them start this all around level 10 or so. Shoulda made that more clear, sorry.

Please respond to my witcher 3 ripoff

youtube.com/watch?v=yuMH-PKbr34&

Isn't that a Pathfinder whateverthefuck?

>buff yourself / the party for any situation without Concentration; give the frontliner Darkvision, make your Rogue hyperfast, shore up someone's weak saves, send a guy in to deal with some crazy elemental damage no problem
>free polymorph get-out-of-jail free card; not the best feature, but it's arguably always useful
>turn shit into other shit so that it can be exploited by other transmutation spells, used to tunnel through walls, to sell to dumbasses, or to arm your party with silver swords all day

What is the point of treasure if you can't buy magic items?

Not necessarily. You can tweak that format depending on what sort of feel you want. My most recent campaign, instead it was
>A neighborhood
>A nearby criminal's front

Outfitting your keep with the latest in ballista technology and hiring the finest guards.

Seriously? You can buy

-land
-followers
-fancy hats
-castles
-political power
-religious power
-donate it
-rent whores
-buy a whorehouse
-buy the best whorehouse and franchise it
-bank it and live off the interest
-start a family
-of whores
-wait, no, not that. Instead, buy cattle
-did I already say fancy hats?
-an aqueduct
-shares in a mercantile concern

Yeah I suppose my point is that needs to be the first step. Creating an engaging starting town and nearby dungeon to explore with some interesting hooks is actually what your players will be playing in the session.

What a bunch of level 10 NPC's, they don't know about and have no reason to care about, are doing won't matter to them much. Players are weird, players latch onto weird things , players ignore your plots and NPC's in favour of staring at shrubberies and brewing potions. You'll learn this.

This isn't to shit on your content, it's fine and in theory having a bunch of big factions the players can choose between to do jobs for works but in practice I've found it doesn't work that well. I'm trying to save you a lot of prep time.

I think to this effect it's much easier to design an episodic 'What are the adventurers/scooby gang going to defeat this week' game than a game with a long campaign overarching plot.

From which you protect the nearby towns, investing heavily in them instead of your own coffers, slowly turning your little region of the country into an economic powerhouse which brings you great prestige and political influence.

Illusion is fucking amazing. The level 6 feature lets you conserve spell slots like no other feature. Say for example that you have a programmed illusion, set to go off when you clap your hands, and manifest the image of a lion, to scare off the riff raff. What happens if you go to a place where lions are considered peaceful animals to be embraced (this is a nonsensical example, but I'm tired). You manifest it, then change the illusion to manifest something else with your level 6 feature.

At early levels, you can constantly change up silent image in the middle of a battle, hiding different allies, messing around with it, while never casting another spell. You can change your disguise in the blink of an eye with disguise self, over and over again, without having to recast it.

You can take the invisibility spell, cast it on your barbarian while your fighter attacks, then before the barbarian attacks, change it to cover your fighter, and then repeat.

You can have your silence bubble follow people.

When you get project image, you get an illusionary scout that can teleport 500 miles at will thanks to malleable illusions

It's so fucking good.

The illusionary reality feature is probably the best feature in the entire game.

>lol buy whores and a castle

That's basically all that you said. But I don't want to do that. I want to buy a magic sword.

you can pay people to make you one

I appreciate the advice, thank you. I'm gonna definitely work on world building now, and if they stumble upon my story, great. If not, they'll have fun exploring the lands and making their own story.

>hire adventurers
>bask in comfort as some other mook does the work for you
>play as hireling
>give no shits about your wellbeing because you're really in a castle halfway across the land sipping Long Islands

>he doesn't have a 7000x4000px map of his world
Apply thineself.
>orig10.deviantart.net/0cda/f/2015/249/0/c/tariel___world_map_by_levodoom-d8tuvvp.png

I could have sworn I also mentioned hats?

Well, talk to your DM? Maybe the nature of your setting allows it?
Or try a different system?

I mean, I like ice cream, but I don't throw a shit fit when the local pizza place doesn't serve ice cream. I went there for pizza. What exactly are you trying to acomplish?

leveling up

Enchanter. The level 2 is situational yes, but when it comes up it's just as good as a Hold Monster.

Level 6 is also at-will change their attack to someone else.

Plus everyone knows Enchanters get all the bitches, even if they're not willing

So buy a magic item.

>playing SKT
>tens of thousands of gold from looting all this giant shit
>decide we don't want to tussle with fire giants
>hire a shiload of mercenaries and assault the place
>only have to pay the 20% or so that survived
>tell the regional powers they're bitches for not just sending their armies after the giants
>take over giant city
>exploit their mines for obscene material wealth

>fancy hats
Any Wizard player who didn't spend 200gp+ on a hat is a disgrace.

Abjuration if you wanna be tanky. Arcane Ward is super useful and stacks with temp HP.

>Fighter
>spent pretty much all of my starting gold and even sold some of my starting equipment to afford a sweet silk cape

>other uses for malleable terrain, that will annoy your DM.

Mirage Arcane: create a narrow hole just below your enemies, that drops 20 feet. This still follows the general contour of the land, and fits within the examples listed in the spell. Malleable illusions to remove the hole. You've just buried someone alive, no save required! Repeat!

Simulacrum is an illusion spell! Malleable illusions allows you to change who it's duplicating! Does the BBEG have 9th level spells? well good on you, because now your simulacrum that was copying you is copying him and has those same 9th level spells!

Creation! Create something and make it made of vegetable matter for the longest duration. Then, when you need it made out of metal for five minutes, switch it to metal with malleable illusions. Smuggle gunpowder into the king's castle by giving him a fine created robe of the finest hemp or whatever.

Create your very own doctor who psychic paper with illusory script, changing the nature of the illusion and the real script without having to do a whole new ritual.

Illusionary reality:
Create an illusion of an archway leading through a thin wall, then make it real! Walk through it. Then make it fake again, and your enemies crash into the wall. You are the carton magus!

We prefer hoods here

Who the fuck is we?

pls no bully

Sauce on that comic?
Searching by image is giving me nothing.

Players do get that if they do this the enemies will start doing it back at them right?

Illusion magic's effectiveness varies greatly from DM to DM though

looks like Paranormal

Why would an illusion wizard waste money on clothes when they can just set up an infinite loop of illusion clothes?

Bonus points: when they dispel magic you, roll to intimidate with your now revealed large cock. Or cast an illusion quickly to "grow" into a large cock, and roll to intimidate.

There's no find hat spell. If you lose a hat that expensive you're screwed.

Mostly correct. paranatural.net/

Locate object has you covered

As a DM, I have a special rule about this: If the player thinks of a nifty way to use a spell, I'll let them have it, unless they left witnesses. Then it spreads.

The minimum level of effectiveness guaranteed by the rules is already pretty high. Your DM generally has to be breaking the rules to keep you from doing well.

Yeah of course, my point is it's generally a better idea to start small and work up with the players than start big and try to scale down.

Greyhawk started out as a village and the first layer of nearby castle greyhawk.

Forgotten Realms started out with Ed Greenwoods group just I'm Waterdeep working out what jobs they did for a living.

The entirety of middle earth started with Tolkein fleshing out 'In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit'.

And so on.

Just curious, what's the most Magical Realm-like official D&D scenario?

Akchskckshually, if I recall correctly, the first and second age stuff significantly predates The Hobbit and LotR, but I agree otherwise

this, this so much. if you can build a city, you can soon figure out where it gets it's water, who runs it, what it trades in, etc. also having a focus on locations that the players are actually going to be interacting with makes for a much more interesting experience.

Eberron has a brothel in Sharn run by a doppelganger and staffed entirely by changelings who change shape to fit their customer's needs.

Why doesn't it just regain HP equal to the damage it deals, that's how it worked in the game if i remember right.
Also if it just regains health through damage the undead resilience would probably be overkill.

>It's the fact that the vampire doesn't have the humanoid tag.
That's what I meant. Hm, now I really want to use some kind of shapechanging non-humanoid monster, looking like a humanoid, until it is targeted by a spell such as hold person. See if the party figures out they're fighting a fey or undead or whatever.

IIRC, SKT has a section that suggests a giant couple is into BDSM.

I never understood the humanoid type as most non-humanoid stills have humanoid shape, really, what is a Erynies/Succubus?

Depends on how you see yourself playing the wizard. Diviner is solid for controlling rolls and spying, Abjuration is good for playing defensive, evocation is great for blowing up all the enemies, and the other schools have their perks as well. My personal favorite is necromancer, because I love being a minion master / army commander. As for illusion magic, I can't really say for sure since I never use it the minor image / major image / etc illusion spells, but I personally feel that it would be better to focus on control spells like hypnotic pattern (which I have been learning is a stupidly strong spell at early levels) and wall of "Blank" that have more direct results, as well as invisibility spells, support spells, and AoE blast spells.

They are fiends. I believe the humanoid tag does not label appearance or shape, but stuff like physiology, biological differences. A vampire or succubus body and mind doesn't work like a humanoid body and mind at all, even if they look similar.

Let's pretend for a moment that Eldritch Blast didn't exist. Does Warlock have good melee options?

they have ADEQUATE melee options.

>non-ua
their melee options are multiclass paladin ASAP.
>UA
their melee options are pretty solid and makes them a more gish-like paladin.

hexblade bladelock does acceptable damage, up to good against their curse target, but is far more fragile than other melee classes and is limited in utility compared to other melee casters because they have to sink so many invocations into not being awful at melee combat.

I am willing to say that does not constitute good.

In a game where I was not aware that there would be no character development involved because nobody has any memories of their past life (DM cop out). Also, enemies are random as shit, DM just picks a number for their hp and decides their damage on the fly. I didn't know this ahead of time and now I am going to remake my character. What are some of the most fun character builds to play? Shadow monk seems fun what with the at will teleporting and lots of utilities.

Play the Gun class and shoot your DM.

Also literally all UA is available, because fuck it, and half of all rolls are made with a flat d20 with no modifiers and the DM makes a call. Heavy usage of "chaos dice" which is just a D6 with pluses and minuses.

>Heavy usage of "chaos dice" which is just a D6 with pluses and minuses.
So... FUDGE dice?

It's too late for me to parse through all the fucking negatives in your sentence, but I believe you're saying:

>There is no character development because nobody remembers their past life

And my question is: "wut"

Since when has that been an obstacle to character development.

Nuclear Druid, because why care about anything at this point?

Having a world that has shit that goes on without the players is a good one. not every group are murderhobos who just want to start in a town and go to a dungeon.

this is to say that, you need to tailor the experience to the group in question, do they like having a complex plot, politics, lots of role playing, picking sides, seeping plots that take many sessions to resolve?

or do they like what other user said? monster of the week stuff that takes one maybe two sessions each, with kill stuff get stuff mentalities? if so do that. remember it isn't just YOUR game it's theirs too.

so unless you already know that they don't like that kind of deep world keep building it.

There's also like 7 people at the table and it's basically all self inserts. Nearly no roleplaying beyond "My character is a vengeance paladin, so I have to kill this guy since he badmouthed me"

To be fair, I'm the only one who seemed to show up expecting a serious roleplaying game, so I'm just trying to figure out how to have fun with this game since I kinda like getting out of the house and talking to real people in a non work related function once a week

Hey, back again hoping for more feedback with the class I'm homebrewing. It's basically Gish, the class. There are a lot of options already for gishes in 5e, but people keep asking for more, or at least something different. This is my attempt to provide what I believe to be what people want from a gish. A solid melee fighter, with magic to provide combat options and enhancements.

I changed it a bit from the feedback I got to bring it more in line with other gishes, while also making it more distinct. It's Intelligence based now instead of Charisma, as there were enough Charisma gishes already. I also reworked the archetypes in hopes of making them more focused.

Any feedback would be appreciated, or even just a reply saying that you would play it, or if it achieves the goal of being a gish class.

I still don't understand why character development is impossible. I don't remember any past lives I've had in real life, but I've certainly changed as a person, sort of. I mean, I'm sure people change in the real world despite not remembering past lives they probably didn't have.

Fuck it though. Pick Chainlock, and take up twice the turns. Pick Chainlock Raven Queen, and take up thrice the turns.

How do I abuse mounted combat? I've been thinking of actually using a Valor Bard for it just so I can pick up Find Steed down the line.

You're an adventurer, buy a new one.

Repostan
So is Dev pal 4 / BMfighter 6 / Lore bard 10 too stupid of a multiclass other than a level 20 build?
Any feats to look for if i want to sword and board? I was looking at HAM as my vhuman feat but was wondering about shieldmaster or magic intiate

Backstory for the char is that he was a cliche storybook char that was accidently brought to life.
Plan on really hamming it up with the rp.

Which Warlock patron is best?

Do you need a healbot in this edition?

Does it break anything to have higher level Witch Bolt damage also increase on later rounds and not just the initial one?

How is Curse of Strahd overall?

>Dilettante
Still probably better than valor bard, but at least they don't overlap as much as they used to.

Typo: Magical Secrets says it is gained at level 7 instead of level 10.

My last suggestion: consider swapping dual cast and magical secrets. Dual Cast is fun and is naturally limited by available spell points. Magical Secrets is much stronger the earlier it is gained because the earlier you get it, because casters have fewer options at lower levels, and the right low and mid-level spells can be very efficient (doubly so on a caster using spell points).

>Silencer
Spellstrike could probably afford to be a tad stronger, given it only triggers off a subset of spells that also require a limited resource to cast. Starting at 1d6 and going up a die at each class feature level would make it a 2d6 damage incentive (the next turn) to cast nukes by level 14 (clerics get 2d8 every turn, by comparison, without having to spend spell slots).

Fiend
No
Yes
It's alright

I'm running Curse of Strahd as my first premade campaign, starting next week and I have questions about playing Strahd Himself.

I was intending on having the first time the players meet Strahd be when they first meet Ireena, either in her house or after burying her father, but in the section with Strahds goals, it has two contradictory sentences:
>"He intends to kill Ireena during their next meeting and turn her into his vampire spawn consort."
>"Strahd and his minions never attack Ireena."
Does this mean he will attempt to take everyone out before going for her? I guess that makes sense she has like 14 HP

Basically, he knocks on the door to her house/the cathedral. If an NPC goes to the door, he charms them to let him in. If a PC does, he either tries to persuade them to let him in, or tries to charm them, ending it immediately as he steps in. From there, he will introduce himself to the party, scaring the shit out of the NPCs, and possibly goad the PCs into combat to see if any are worthy as a successor before leaving, possibly accompanied by wolves attacking from outside.

But like, should his original goal in this meeting be the party or Ireena? Seems like killing her is a pretty easy goal for him whenever the party isnt around.

You've never needed a healbot. Kill them before they kill you!

Fiend is overall quite good, but Great Old One can get pretty silly with it's thralls at later levels.

Yeah, you might make Witch Bolt an actually good spell.

In what way is CoS alright?

>Yes
What does it break?
That's what I thought.

Isn't that the problem with Curse of Strahd, Strahd should just win if he actually tried.

>thralls
Thrall. Singular. Which you have no control over besides "sees you as a friendly acquaintance".

>we've... cut the least popular ones

So the invocations from previous UA are out? Only the ones from this one are in?

Right, but that UA list isn't final, otherwise they wouldn't be taking more feedback on it. Here's hoping they restore Eldritch Smite's previous power to make bladelock worth playing.

>grasp of hadar is once per turn
>repelling blast isn't

your DM clearly doesn't employ a morale system. The reason they didn't want to fight giants is because the soldiers would mutiny after having 20% of their forces literally squashed. There's a reason most of the initial giant encounters only have you fighting or needing to defeat 2 or 3 giants at a time and typically from range. They FUCK shit up.

the problem is that you should play Strahd like his ego always gets the best of him, and throw in some vampire tropes.

Make him act like he SHOULD kill her at any moment and have him KNOW he can do it. It's like a big cat playing with its food. He toys with her and her closest friends simply because he knows the entire realm is under his thumb and boot.

Secondly, throw in some vampire tropes that make him entirely powerless to kill her. such as, a vampire must be invited into a home. Take that to the umpteenth level when Strahd visits her home. Make it so he literally cannot harm her until he is invited in. That would be why Strahd has been assaulting the home with undead.

I need ideas for "ancient evil creatures" that would be "awakened by and drawn to large concentrations of [pic related]".

so far I have kythons out of the old Book of Vile Darkness

but what else might be attracted to it?
NO ORDINARY DEMONS

3 man party low and medium character levels...

Was considering having him enter the house via charm, then toying with the party themselves, the basis of the party being there is that he is looking for a successor right?

I'd play him like he doesn't really want to use his powers. it's too easy.

I'm playing a Tabaxi in an upcoming game. Should I be a DEX Knight, a Swashbuckler or an Inquisitive?

I want to add some challenge to my players' fight against a young white dragon, so I'm thinking of giving him some innate spellcasting... Unfortunately young white dragons aren't terribly charismatic... So what's a good 2nd level spell it can cast once per day to make things a good deal harder? I'm thinking maybe Enlarge or maybe Spiritual Weapon, but I'm open to other ideas...

Enter Ireenas house through charm/persuading a PC, introducing himself.
Like a few rounds, no spells, focusing on probably knocking 1-2 people down (they're level 3, they dont stand a chance.) before leaving with an ominous threat directed at the party+Ireena. He knows he can have what he wants, so he's just playing with them at the moment.

Does that sound okay?