Power Armor Knights

I am building a setting I want to use in the future that has a medieval feel to it while being set in the future where mankind has endured a crisis and now has returned to a medieval way of thinking. So things like power armor and guns exist yet most governments are a decentralized feudal society and religion holds as much power as it did in days of old.

My question is which system is best suited to a medieval setting and a slightly futuristic one.

Post futuristic knights.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/czUcj3-I_l8
youtube.com/watch?v=aXlPI2XSFrc
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Dark Heresy 2nd Ed.

Dark Heresy 2 would be good for this.

I know its unpopular, but I'll also say GURPS as a lot of fun options for this, painful as it is to play.

Starfinder might also work for this when it comes out (again, unpopular opinion here).

A lot of it depends on tone as well as content.

Are your sci-fi knights heroic or realistic? Are you returning to a degree of brutality, or keeping things romanticised?

Tech Knights coming up, boss.

All of the earth's combustible sulfer has been used up

Nausicaa could be good inspiration.

What the fuck, the pistol on that shield is backwards. You wouldn't be able to grab it with your right hand after you dropped the rifle.

And the sword bayonet on the corporal wouldn't let you wrap your fingers around the fore grip.

I wish artists would put some effort into their work beyond just drawing things mindlessly.

Haha, someone always comments on that picture.

That's enough for now I guess. I might have a few more worth posting if this thread is still up tomorrow.

I'm going for a bit of both, I will explain more given time.

Oh wow, that is a very good pick for what I have in mind

This is also great

I'd like to ask OP, what kind of knights are we talking? Are we talking knights in image only, as in the powered armor is made to look stylistically like 13-15th century armor, or are we talking power armored knights who still fight with polearms, swords, and shields? If the latter, what in your game world has rendered firearms and artillery niche/useless but allows power armor to still exist?

Glad you asked !

The armor would be both stylised to look like 13-15 century plate armor and would have people wielding melee weapons, riding attack bikes to charge the enemy and firearms would be the equivalent to a crossbow/bow against said armor.

OP here, now to explain more about what I envision on this setting.

I want to make this setting "realistic" as in it truly follows actual medieval like politics and also has a proper excuse for why did it revert to such a state and why are people even using such neo medieval looking stuff. I am completely open to feedback.

The overall feel is a noble dark one as religion has returned to it's old tradition of zeal and once again holds power, war and conflict happens often (be it nation vs nation or internal), and most of Earth's once mighty nations are a decentralized mess with various lords and kings vying for control. But there is also hope as Chivalry and honor sometimes shine even in the darkest of times and hints of a new renaissance can sometimes be seen or heard.

My idea for how this came to be is that a third World War started in the early 22nd century between the worlds superpowers which led to an apocalyptic crisis, But before the bombs fell the pope of the time devised a humanitarian plan to build underground bunkers that will store knowledge, culture and equipment to rebuild the world if his worst fears will come to pass and the world will burn in atomic hell-fire.
Years gone by and eventually the eco-system was close to fully healing from the war and the underground bunkers opened with the various people inside of them. The world in it's current state was a mess and the holy men sew it as there holy duty to help rebuilt it but as the years gone by and people flocked more and more for "salvation" the holy church weirdly enough became the architects of the future and found itself in a position of power once more. But power corrupts.
With the return of culture ,arts and the basic equipment the western world at large begun to follow a trend of sorts which sew various leaders and warlords of men become kings and lords and with dreams of re achieving the golden age of the past.

GURPS would work really well for this. Ultra-Tech will cover essentially everything you want that isn't in Basic Set. If you want to go deep into politics and intrigue, Social Engineering is an excellent book for it.

You could say this about almost any setting.

The world in it's current sate has next to no factories and everything that is made is made by various craftsmen and guilds.

few things survived the end of the world but it is not unheard of of someone finding a rare piece of equipment from the old world which usually don't work but sell for a big sum of money.

Most of the Exo-Suits in the holy vaults where designed to be used for the logistics and building of the world after the crisis but when people begun using it for war and sew it's immense power and killing capability all suits where reversed engineered for war and and the price and demand of these suits of power armor skyrocketed, now only the wealthy and noble can afford them while the non powered "Spiderslik" armor are the the equipment for the normal foot soldier. Peasant light infantry usally get little to no protection.

Guns are still in use but there effectiveness against power armor can be explained as about the same effectiveness of arrows and crossbow bolts to thick plate armor. sometimes peasants will be seen carrying a last resort risky explosive melee weapon against armored troops if they get into melee while foot infantry and "knights and men-at-arms" will carry "normal" (still not sure how to define normal) to master crafted melee weapons.

What takes the place of cavalry? and can they get "super armor" styled mechs? i'm thinking of something escaflowne related.

youtu.be/czUcj3-I_l8

A big part of the medieval worldview was a belief in zero-sum economics, i.e. 'nobody can be rich except by exploiting the poor'.

So basically, you want your setting to have the communists win, but their system collapses eventually and people turn to religion/antiquated romantic nationalisms in the aftermath while maintaining it's views on economics.

Still OP
A cool idea I had for an example is the USA being turned into something more akin to medieval/Renaissance Italy meets HRE where most of the "adventuring" is done by Contract mercenaries (obvious inspiration from the Condotta of Italy).
Each sate would be a sort of medieval republic (ranging from Noble Republic to Merchant Republic) because old traditions
of the "constitution" demand it.

....and now I have my bbeg for Starfinder

I was thinking more along the lines of this:
youtube.com/watch?v=aXlPI2XSFrc

Im ok with this. Like, im really ok with this. If i wasn't working on a modern horror campaign I'd switch to future knights campaign

Infinity Military Orders

Forgot pic

E.Y.E Divine Cybermancy

I'm digging these father knights. Are there mother knights as well?

Infinity is a good example for this yet I am still not sure how sci-fi I should make this.
Should I add hover bikes for cavalry or normal heavy bikes.
Should the power armor look more like the smooth and or the crude .

another question I have is: is there a thing such as "neo Medieval-Punk" ?

I mean, you could just position your shield arm straightened in front of you(so that the shield is parallel to your side) and then easily take the pistol out with your other hand. Still, it's not a very efficient way and makes you defenceless for a moment, so you're right.

I'm always a fan of streamlined armor for the Nobels. that way you can make any bandits or "rogue knights" recognizable by having cobbled together or patched armor.

good idea, I think for style I would prefer the armor as it looks like it was master crafted and still has some "roots" from the old world modern armor.
The basic idea I am going for is
power armor = the new plate armor
guns = the new crossbow
bikes = the new horse
etc'

Father Knights are so fucking styling.

They alone make me want to build a MO army.

oh! good call! and if you wanted to ratchet up the tension you could use highly streamlined bio-tech "skinsuits" hidden under robes of some kind for techno-warlock. Maybe they belong to a cabal of dark and shadowy figures all bearing the mystery rune "D.A.R.P.A."? You can keep that in your back pocket as one of mysteries of the setting as an excuse to have someone shoot lightning from their fingers or any other weird thing you need to justify.

>that feel when no power-armored knight gf with a gatling gun lance

This is one of my favourite 'space knight' designs.

Reminds me of this, which is probably the coolest example I can think of.

I agree, this is cool

Is there magic in the setting? If so, the warmachine/hordes RPG material might be useful to you.

Maybe I'll do another thread after this asking for idea's of various powers (duchies, baronies, Lordships and kingdoms) that you would put as the thing that lords over your IRL region.
I already have the general idea for the US but would like an example from a state republic.

I think I will plan in the setting for there to be a really long war for the throne of Britannia waged by three sides all claiming to be legitimate and of the same ruling blood of the old monarchy.

A very big part of Italy would be owned by the Papel Empire whom also has various vassal theocracies all across "New Christendom" (basically America and Europe).

I still haven't planned for all the non western world and would be happy to have your opinion.

I am planning for this to be "sort of realistic" so no magic but Techno-Arcana may come into play.

Techno-Archana? Im getting a Hell-Boy, weird science angle here.

Reminds me of Earth-X Black Bolt, especially in the helmet/ colors.

nah I't more if someone will be using some weird shit like throwing fireballs and thunderbolts and telekinesis as just really super rare science nobody fully understands. But the norm is that nobody has ever heard of such things and the players are not supposed to be able to do such things.
With the current over zealous state of the world
most people would try to burn someone for "suspected acts of witchcraft".

anyone got some biological power armors?

GURPS with supplements

Holy fuck, i never thought i would say this, but those are infinity minis I would actually buy.

Not sure if entirely biological, but a cool image set so I'm gonna post it anyways.