Let's have a /thatguy/ thread

Let's have a /thatguy/ thread.
Tell me your stories about assholes, shitty dms, and anger at the table.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=xnJbC8CYw7M
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Rolls without saying what he is doing
I do that as a nervous habit sometimes because moving dice just help me feel more at ease

I have none of them.

We have a player that continues to neglect coming up with any backstory even when asked.
The DM is now giving the other players permission to come with suggestions whenever it would come up and declares it canon in lieu of actual player-made history.

I make the same character a lot. NG, LG, or CG friendly clerics/doctors/other setting appropriate healer who wants to help people and solve problems. I even generally roleplay them similarly.

I retardedly use rules from other systems because I learned 5th, 4th, pathfinder, and dark heresy close together, since I got into rpg's and dove into everything at once, so they jumble in my brain sometimes, but it's not on purpose I suppose.

I can understand mixing up 4e, 5e and PF but how do you manage to get DH mixed up in there?

>Betrays the other PCs for personal gain
Some of these are really only that guy-ish when combined in a bingo. If that was the only thing from this list they did they'd probably be fine.

thats' the one that gets mixed up the least of course but I still use thier terms for stats which confuses people sometimes or I might ask for cover or hit location while playing pathfinder/dnd which works differently.

but it's more of the other 3.

> Shows up too stoned to function

This was me, sadly. It was just so hard getting home from work on a Thrusday and NOT ripping the bong a bunch of times in the two hours I had until game time

Well after one game, where we played a bunch of assholes, i have almost bingo. Now i have to just invent a new smelly race

>Betrays the other PCs for personal gain
That's not uncommon in my games solely because the entire group is fine with that kind of thing and if someone has an issue with it then we discuss it and see how to go about the situation from there.

Since you know, we're capable of discussing things like actual humans.

I mean "Gets in fistfight with guards" and "I murder the shopkeep and loot the place" could also be okay in a game with appropriate context.

But in most games, it's That Guy shit.

eh those two are more 'actively being troublesome to the plot and causing needless distraction',
whereas 'main character betrayal' is a staple of just about every dramatic genre there is. As long as the group and that specific player aren't huge cunts OOCly about it then it's just another opportunity for STORYTELLING

My group has two complemetary "that guys", it's great.

Is it really dramatic storytelling, or is it just competing by making your friend the loser and, thus, you the winner?

Like I said, there's also a time and place to fight guards and rob shopkeepers or flee when the party needs you, it's just about what kind of game you're trying to run.

But generally speaking, making another player eat shit makes the game suck.

>narrates what other players are doing

I mean, for comedic value or to show a different POV I kind of do that...

Kill yourself.

I hope you eat your own fingers.

We need a That GM bingo too.

Off the top of my head
>Uses DMPC(s)
>Railroad plot
>Absolutely no preparation for bland formless setting
>Can't remember the rules
>Plays favorites
>Constantly switches systems
>Never allows players to do anything strictly in the rules of the game
>Allows players to do stupid shit because of rule of cool in a game that isn't built that way.

Any other good ones I'm missing?

>brags about the NPCs he has killed
>gets angry if the party solves a problem in a way he didn't think about

Story time?

As forever dm, I'm guilty of only one of those: dmpcs. None of my players ever make healers. I'm running out if ideas for healbots that don't contribute beyond that.
So far I've had
Pacifist priest
Portly coward Franciscan monk
Scholarly orthodox priest
Warforged cleric who is actually just a healing potion vending machine that was accidentally awakened

That's an NPC that tags along with the party, not a DMPC.

Fair, but I always see it as a dmpc. They are equal in level to the pcs, contribute to party votes, and offer a push in the right direction when the pcs are stumped

They are missing the crucial component of "They are my attempt to play along the game I'm running."

>Always makes the same character
Big stompy, high AC martial who charges into every fight because "muh +2 bonus to attack" yet almost always gets dunked on because of shit Will or for charging into the path of a monster that's way too much for him to handle.
>Narrates what other player's characters do
Would always tell people how they should play their character and would get pissy as hell if you didn't follow his instructions.
>Melts down after character is killed
Once threw a die across the room so hard that he almost broke a window after we killed his character.
>Argues with DM about a rule
I could write a book on the amount of times we had to stop game because "X sucks, why can't we go back to 3.PF?"
>Betrays other PC's
Tried once, then we killed his character, prompting the die being thrown across the room.

We don't play with him anymore.

>>gets angry if the party solves a problem in a way he didn't think about
I've never experienced this and I'm unable to even process that mindset.
I fucking live for players figuring out weird solutions and ignoring the obvious path I left for them. Players will find the most absurd and convoluted solutions to everything. It's literally my favorite part of DMing.

In my defense

>Playing a 4e and DMing a 5e game at the same time
I tend to think about 5e rules all the time and that comes up in 4e every now and then

The other one only came up in the most recent session, and it was more so me wanting something to happen so I jumped into a hole in the ground (I immediately thought it was some giant mimic since the floor below it didn't have a hole in the roof and the lower floor looking above didn't resemble the actual lower floor). Ended up room full of boxes and chests

I fucked up and was like "holy fuck it's a mimic" just said it out loud and then everyone started acting like they suddenly hated treasure. Talked to dm and I agreed to some punishment next session because of it

>danda centric horseshit
You deserve every "That" guy you get

party vs. DM mentality is expected and encouraged when you're running shadowrun, at least.

Same THAT GUY from >Bad DMPC
Once ran a SW:d20 campaign where his DMPC could use both sides of the force, had his own ship, and was capable of fighting a group of elite grunts on his own.
>Railroad Plot
His DMPC was the only one who could pilot the ship we used.
>Bland Setting
SW setting was sometime before the original trilogy yet he still had not!Jabba the Hut be a major NPC at one point.
>Doesn't know rules
Threatened to nerf force stun because someone used it to deal with a CR8 encounter. We were level 3 btw.
>Doesn't let players do anything
Every piece of loot we tried to get either got destroyed through DM fiat or was treated as though it was forbidden, even a fucking gas mask.
>Gets angry when plans are ruined
See: Doesn't know rules
>DM is never wrong
Stated verbatim when we told him off for trying to nerf force stun in response to our victory.
>Impossible Saves
Outright stated that he didn't stat his DMPC because he didn't want us to kill him.

>Using red and green for differentiation

Shit, user, my colorblind ass can't tell the difference. Seconding the request for story time.

>dude weed lmao

No one cares about your autism starwars.

Starwars is just a bad movie and a book, making it an RPG was a fucking crime.

>Reading Comprehension: 0/10

In case storytime doesn't happen, if you order the tiles by numbers:
#1 is in 6-7, 9-11, 14,16, 18, 21, and 23-25
#2 is in 2-5, 8-10, 13, and 19

also thirding a request for storytime

Well it's like the Mary Sue shit. Having a major plot figure be your parent all by itself isn't a mark of a Sue. But if you've got a bunch of other Sue traits too, you're looking mighty suspect.
It's Chernobyl - not one problem, but a bunch of problems happening at once

What a fascinating thought out opinion, do you have a blog?

>SW setting was sometime before the original trilogy yet he still had not!Jabba the Hut be a major NPC at one point.

I'm not very well versed in star wars lore, but the Hut family was very big and powerful in Star Wars: the Clone Wars TV series.

There's not really an entertaining story here, sorry to disappoint. I'll make a post anyway, bump so the thread doesn't die.

"That guy" #2 shows up to every session extremely high. Every campaign he builds a character that's strong, good at using a large melee weapon, and nothing else. When I say he builds a character, what I mean is that the rest of the group builds a character for him - he's never in a mental state to really understand the rules, or what's going on in the game for that matter. The only time he actively does anything in character is occasionally attacking a random NPC. Otherwise he sits silently until combat happens, at which point he has to be told when it's his turn and what dice to roll to attack, every single turn, after which he goes back to sitting silently. Overall not bad as "that guys" go, but he checked quite a few of the boxes.

"That guy" #1 is more of a stereotypical "that guy." We'll call him Jason. In the first major game I played with Jason in, he had a preexisting beef with the GM. I don't know the details because when asked he only says that the GM "knows what he did." The GM doesn't know what he did. The system is D&D 3.5, with several of the most powerful spells banned. We make characters before the session and roll for stats. Jason shows up with suspiciously high stats but we say nothing and continue on with the game. Jason creatively misinterprets a couple rules to gain a large bonus on damage rolls. GM eventually notices this, asks what he's doing and he's forced to fix his character. Jason pouts. Campaign continues. I notice that Jason will often roll a D20 a few times, and once he gets a good roll announce an action for the roll. I say nothing and GM seems not to notice. The campaign continues with occasional arguments over the rules, Jason often "forgetting" to apply penalties, the aforementioned method of dice rolling, and other assorted munchkinry, but at least he roleplays and all is well. Eventually in game things come to a head, and before the next session Jason and the GM meet and Jason agrees to let his character be killed for plot reasons. The next session, Jason's character sacrifices his life to save the world like they had agreed on. Jason smugly says that it's no big deal, we can just resurrect him. At the beginning of the campaign it had been established that there was no resurrection and death was permanent. Jason says that this isn't fair, that the GM never said death was permanent, and that he wouldn't have agreed to his character dying if he had known. Jason gets very agitated and argues with the GM for an uncomfortably long time before begrudgingly making a new character.

The campaign continues, a couple sessions later the GM asks for a check of some kind and Jason announces his result, a 28. GM asks how he rolled that high and Jason pushes his dice forward, showing that he has indeed rolled a natural 28. Jason has been rolling a D30 instead of a D20 the whole time he's been playing his new character and thinks it's hilarious that the GM didn't notice until now. Nothing else too exciting happens on the "that guy" front, eventually the game concludes. Jason bitches for weeks to anyone who will listen about how much the game sucked and how the GM was so unfair and had it in for him the whole time.

Continuing on, I play in or GM several other campaigns with Jason. Jason absolutely hates railroading, so he develops his own railroading test. During character creation he asks to play a completely absurd race that can't possibly fit into the setting, such as a twi'lek (blue head tentacle alien from Star Wars) in a game about gangsters in 1930s Chicago. If the GM says no, then that GM is a shit railroading GM and Jason will talk shit about him to the other players and do his best to wreck the campaign, often by turning on and attacking the rest of the PCs. Jason hates any non-D20 system, and will often roll a D20 for a check before being told that's not how this system works. The reason Jason loves the D20 is because rolling a 20 means an automatic success on anything, no matter how difficult or impossible, and rolling a 1 means a hilarious failure resulting in injury, no matter how easy and mundane the task. In a campaign of mine Jason builds a character that he says can gain infinite mana. Actually reading the rules shows that the build doesn't work by RAW. There's plenty of other shit in a similar vein, I don't think he cheats dice rolls anymore at least. There's no real conclusion to this, he's still with the same group. He hasn't done anything really bad that would get him kicked out like in some other stories on Veeky Forums.

>Only looks up from his phone/ipad when its his turn
I fucking hate this

goddamn roleplay with the other players when its not your turn fuckface

Jesus Christ i need to get some reigns on this player, this really gives some perspective on how assholian he is

Im an idiot pic for ref

I sometimes get mixed up between the rules of different systems.
I sit pretty much constantly on my tablet, but it's always for making or checking notes, or look up rules.
I'll argue about rulings, but only for the sake of consistency in the game and I'm quick to back-off if the GM gets anoyed.
Been playing a NE character in a Good-aligned party for over five years now. Never had any problems so far.

>14/25

No Bingo, but I got a lot of them. The player has real life assburgers, doctor diagnosed and everything. Used to see a therapist when we were younger. He's gotten better over the years but is still a sperging that guy. He's had several complete mental breakdowns requiring a therapist over the years as a direct result of shit happening in our games and several in college as well (lol philosophy major). His worst was over the capture of another players character by some cultists. He flipped the fuck out like I announced I was going to throw him into a nazi pizza oven, and again, it wasn't even his character.

This was me 5 years ago. Coming to Veeky Forums made me realize how shit I was and I cleaned up my act.

This incumpases all that guy behaviour I have ever encountered. Can you tell which person nobody hangs out with anymore?

Why would you invite such a troublemaker? He's clearly not cut to play with other people.
Also checked as fuck

>party finds a dusty belt in an old mage tower
>barbarian picks it up and puts it on
>it was cursed
>turns into a girl
>"how big are my tits?"
>DM: "I don't know, C cup?"
>goes into a corner and starts fondling his boobs

The guy seemed so normal at first

Make up an npc animal character that tears up healing potion or something. Like a Gonk, but wooden made and with curative sap, maybe?

Run a system or setting that doesn't require a heal bot to function?

>argues with DM about he rules every fucking session
I hate this shit so much

Hard to do unless the entire group decides to change games.
And really, the dmpc thing is a Veeky Forums meme. Most dmpcs are background support that exist for sake of the players, not to add anything to the plot.

The person running the game kind of has the most sway on what game is being played though.

Yes, but only a cunt will try to force players to play a game they aren't really interested in.
The whole difference between a good gm and that gm coming up again, the good gm knows he has power, but doesn't use it to make decisions for everyone else unilaterally.

I pretty much only DM the settings I create because a few of the people in my group are anal about rules.. so i find it makes my games go way smoother if its one of my homebrews, so I guess that's me avoiding the "that guys" rule bending in my group. ( but my setting has very lax rules that they bend anyway which is ok because i do the same but I don't go over board )I run a sandbox open world setting so generally I allow dumb shit to occur and the players will suffer the consequences of it... Sometimes killing or almost killing a PC in a creative way... Only to laugh and brag about it later... I do tend to over do the dramatic elements and kill players for the sake of making them hate the bad guys or if the party rely on a single player for combat just to put the party in peril, I don't always permanently kill players though. Which the players appreciate.

at what point in this situation did you come to the conclusion that force would need to be applied?

My current GM once had a Paladin fall for laughing.

That it has happened several times, denoting the players enjoy the game they are playing and have no outward wish to change games.
Now sure, the gm can suggest it, but if the majority of the players aren't on board, I would not force a game swap for the sake of "muh dmpcs", which is honestly so minor a reason as to be functionally insignificant.

That's the thing though. All you do is say "hey guys, I'd like to try something new after this game."

If your group full on refuses that request, then you really need to ask yourself who you're playing with.

That seem like a pretty normal thing to do in this situation

That is only true if you are working on the assumption that OP wasn't having fun anymore.
He never said that, only that no one wanted to play a healer type, so he dmpc'd one.
There are plenty of games I'd like to play that I know for a fact that while some in my group would enjoy, others clearly wouldn't, so I don't bring them up. I also know that if I pushed the issue, I could indeed force it, but I'm not a cunt who treats players like lesser peons rather than valued associates and friends, so I do not.

I kinda narrated a NPC once but the GM let me get away with because of context.

Was playing bard and challenged a devil to a rock off. GM also let me perform this song IRL and rated me out of 20 instead of rolling. I got a 15 and won, song explains the narration thing. Also got a magic guitar as loot.

youtube.com/watch?v=xnJbC8CYw7M

How is wanting to try something new suddenly mean you don't like the old thing? Hell it also completely sidesteps the setting component of my suggestions. They could easily say that they want to run the same system within a setting where healing is either less important due to the nature of the game, or more readily available in the world as a whole.

And again, I've not once advocated forcing anything, and I have no idea why you seem to keep bringing that up.

>run the same system within a setting where healing is either less important due to the nature of the game, or more readily available in the world as a whole.
Most systems aren't so compartmentalized, and lets be upfront, we know the guy is almost assuredly talking about 3.pf because few other games require specific circumstances to access restoratives.
The point still stands that OP wasn't complaining about running dmpcs, only saying that he was guilty of it.
In your case, bringing up a different game for that reason alone is asinine. If he wanted to play something new, I wager he would have brought it up himself by now, but no, trying to run most editions of D&D with no access to expedient healing is a terrible idea.

>Most systems aren't so compartmentalized
Ok this and yoru 3.5 assumption can both be answered by making health potions more ubiquitous in the world. Wow that sure was impossible and would be met with undue contempt from his players should he try it.

>Pacifist priest
>Portly coward Franciscan monk
>Scholarly orthodox priest
>Warforged cleric who is actually just a healing potion vending machine that was accidentally awakened
>yoru 3.5 assumption
I'm going to ignore how you do not know why healing potions in 3.pf are not in any fashion a substitute for spells in terms of use, efficiency or potency, and are actually a massive trap.

Oh please enlighten me about how giving people potions more regularly/cheaper is in some way different than
>actually just a healing potion vending machine

Welcome to Dungeon World

What constitutes a melt-down?

I just went silent for the rest of the session. My poor tactics had gotten the guy killed! I felt quite guilty.

I believe melting down would be that you become uncontrollably upset.

Getting pissy and chucking dice is not cool along with intense fussing over how unfair it might be.

Feeling remorse and guilt is fine imo. It's inevitable to get attached to characters we make so do your mourning before moving on, remembering that it's a new beginning.

I don't think tremendous guilt is what they're going for.

What happened after that?

>Gets into a fight with all the town guards
They were off duty and it was just a fistfight, okay?

So how bad do I rate Veeky Forums?

Dh is actually pretty similar to 3.x in terms of turn structure and actions, and the talents are pretty analogous with feats.

Are you the Dm...
?
How big a party ?
That would rustle my jimmmies

>We should split up
Doesn't want to split up no matter what, and this is even worse. Stealthy scout who literally don't want to scout alone even if other PCs are shit at scouting.
>Always makes the same character
And thinks they are different
>Loner
Not a loner from start, but manages to piss off every single character, and ends up in isolation
>Melts down every time character is killed
Character decided to commit suicide because one minor accusation, blames GM
>Creates a Chaotic Evil character in Good party
Wants to be a Jedi, acts like typical selfish dick and justify it with "I'm a hero, all heroes are good".
>Flees fro danger, want the loot
Run away while party was at danger, got into some minor troubles because of it, and needs money for "moral compensation"
>Does things his character would never do for advantage
This, and metagaming.

>SW setting was sometime before the original trilogy yet he still had not!Jabba the Hut be a major NPC at one point.
Nigga the Hutts are a major force in the setting and have been for thousands of years, which coincidentally is how long the fuckers live. Don't talk shit when you don't know shit.
You're right about everything else, fuck your GM

Its the players fault, and not the "LOL GENDER SWAP" DM?

I've got a story to tell, happened a while back.

>Be me, forever DM at a convention.
>5e game scheduled to happen, one of my only chances to be a player for once.
>Come to find out, the 'organizers' for this event didn't organize for shit, so shortly after sitting down we had to wait for the DM to go print out character sheets.
The rest of this story all happens while the DM was gone for a good 15 to 30 minutes.

>Kinda bored just sitting around, try and start a conversation with one of the other players.
>Find out that he's a DM running a campaign.
"Oh, so what's happening in your campaign? What's the goal of the players"
>Somehow, asking this was a huge mistake.
>DM talks about the backstory for his super special grimdark Game of Thrones rip-off for 15 minutes strait.
>Keep in mind, this was just BACKSTORY, the players haven't even been mentioned or come up once.
>Not to mention, like Game of Thrones, this dude talked way too much about weird shit when describing his setting. He went into way too much detail about incest, milfs, mind controlled sex slaves, etc.
>I'm almost about to fall asleep from this exposition dump.
"Hey, I don't mean to be rude, but this is a ton of backstory and I really just want to know about the actual game, I'm kinda interested in some cool stories and cliff notes, not the entire lore of the setting"
>Dude looks super offended.
>"Yeah, well, I was getting to that"
>5 more minutes of nothing but more backstory.
>Players are finally mentioned.
>"So now the players have to stop the evil lord, free everyone from his curse, and rescue the old king"
>Talks about the stuff that the players actually did for less than 2 minutes, interspersed with more talk about his amazing backstory.

>I just leave because the DM was taking forever to get here with character sheets.

that wasn't that guy at all.

Yeah. Fuck DM's who has to force their magical realm on players. Good on the player for handling it with a sense of humor.

Phew. I tick no boxes.

Am I That Guy if I'm in the spotlight most of the time, even if I don't try to be?
Noone else in our group does anything besides attack when it's their turn and follow me around, because I'm the only who comes up with any plans/dialogue. Most of our campaign so far has been them following me around while I do stuff and only talking when spoken to directly.

>Mention widely used substance
>Same response that was originally only used to criticize Seth Rogan movies

It had a point when it was first used, but DWLMAO has absolutely no meaning anymore. People just spout it when anyone mentions smoking.

t. Nonsmoker/drinker

>no prep
>based off
Yep, that's me alright. Mostly because I don't have dedicated preptime, I just prep shit in my head while doing something else and write a few haphazard notes.
Also, your shit being based off something isn't bad, what's bad is admitting it to your players.

>I don't know, C cup?
But That DM knew. He knew everything about that character's new body months beforehand.

>lets players do stupid shit
Of course you should let them do stupid shit. This isn't a fucking novel.

What's wrong with showing up stoned? That's generally when my GM is at his most creative

Woops
Good thing I'm the DM

See

Ha good luck!
I'm the only DM in this tiny little town and I know none of you want to give up playing characters

>continually tells the group he can and will backstab the party (up to and including sacrificing their lives) whenever it'll get his character a large gain
>once played a healer and tried to charge the party for using his spells on them (was supposed to be neutral good)
>when the party refused he'd take the money from their unconscious bodies and then heal them

I don't consider him "that guy" really, but some things just grate on me.

Awesome guy outside of pen and paper games tho

Fuck my shit up senpai